Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I am hurting......Please help if possible.

Posted by Dotty A. on 12/03/02 at 21:34 (101720)

I am sorry to bother you....but I am in severe foot pain...14 days ago it was beginning to get hard for me to do my job as my forefoot started hurting, the day after it was even harder and hurting more...by the following day it was impossible for me to finish my job as the pain was to much...2 days after that , on a Sunday I went to an Urgent care place for some kind of treatment as by then the pain was horrible and foot swollen and very red. Painful to the touch, hard to bear weight, toes swollen, foot also...lump around the forefoot. Now I have since been to 2 more docs. and still no satisfactory results..the pain is worse...foot swollen badly into the ankle and slightly above..so very hard to walk and now ankle hurts also. I have been told gout, tendenitous and degenerative arthritis...3 tales, 3 docs, several x-rays later...and I am now on pain meds, vioxx, and a couple of other drugs and am still swollen, hurting, bruised, lumpy and in severe pain....what can I do...I have not worked in 2 weeks. And the pain is not getting any better. I am a patient attendant at a local hosp. Could I have a possible stress fracture of one of the metatarsal bones and they are just now seeing it?
I would be grateful for any answer you could provide...this is getting worse..the entire top of my foot is bruised and shiny from the swelling...
Thank you so very much for any answer.
Dotty aka (email removed)

Re: I am hurting......Please help if possible.

Dotty A. on 12/04/02 at 07:24 (101735)

Morning, well I went to the emergency room last night as the pain got so bad I could not stand it...also the swelling was so bad I thought my foot would burst...there they took more x-rays and discovered I do not have tendenitis, gout or bursitis...what they did discover through the x-rays is that I am missing part of the bone on the upper part of my foot near the ankle...they say the rest shows up on x-ray as mothing looking...am going for a bone scan today..not allowed to bear weight, pain meds changed and strengthened,(which I do not like to do),they are taking me off of darvocet 100mgs. and putting me on percodan 350mgs. I am very worried now...do you have any ideas or advice for me?

dave r on 12/04/02 at 08:18 (101739)

Have you had an mri?

Dotty A. on 12/04/02 at 08:27 (101740)

I am to go in for a bone scan when they call me to come in then will have an appointment with a bone dr. later. Ihave already had cancer twice and a lot of it runs in the family. I asked the Dr. if he thought this was what this was and he made no answer other than what it was not....Dotty

Julie on 12/04/02 at 11:16 (101767)

Dotty, if you're apprehensive that your foot pain could be a possible recurrence of cancer, you should contact your consultant oncologist and ask for an appointment as soon as possible. The chances are it isn't what you fear, but if that's the case you need to be reassured. And if it is, it needs to be dealt with.

My sympathies: having had cancer myself, I know how frightening the thought of a possible recurrence can be.

Dotty A. on 12/04/02 at 07:24 (101735)

Morning, well I went to the emergency room last night as the pain got so bad I could not stand it...also the swelling was so bad I thought my foot would burst...there they took more x-rays and discovered I do not have tendenitis, gout or bursitis...what they did discover through the x-rays is that I am missing part of the bone on the upper part of my foot near the ankle...they say the rest shows up on x-ray as mothing looking...am going for a bone scan today..not allowed to bear weight, pain meds changed and strengthened,(which I do not like to do),they are taking me off of darvocet 100mgs. and putting me on percodan 350mgs. I am very worried now...do you have any ideas or advice for me?

dave r on 12/04/02 at 08:18 (101739)

Have you had an mri?

Dotty A. on 12/04/02 at 08:27 (101740)

I am to go in for a bone scan when they call me to come in then will have an appointment with a bone dr. later. Ihave already had cancer twice and a lot of it runs in the family. I asked the Dr. if he thought this was what this was and he made no answer other than what it was not....Dotty

Julie on 12/04/02 at 11:16 (101767)

Dotty, if you're apprehensive that your foot pain could be a possible recurrence of cancer, you should contact your consultant oncologist and ask for an appointment as soon as possible. The chances are it isn't what you fear, but if that's the case you need to be reassured. And if it is, it needs to be dealt with.

My sympathies: having had cancer myself, I know how frightening the thought of a possible recurrence can be.