Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Here comes the snow!

Posted by Suzanne D on 12/04/02 at 10:01 (101754)

Hello, Friends!

The snow started here just as the children were arriving at school this morning at 7:20. By 9:00, we were dismissed, and the buses began arriving to take them home. That is always such a harrowing experience with first graders because they never are quite sure if Mama or Daddy will be home during the day. I made many phone calls; you can imagine. Many people work in the nearest town which is 15 miles north of here, and when our school was dismissed this morning, it had not even begun to snow there. That caught some parents off guard. But I think all the children are safely home now. Many of mine did not want to leave. Little Roger kept saying, 'But we didn't have lunch. We never even had school!' I am waiting for my daughter's high school bus to arrive here, and then we'll go home. I only live 1/2 mile from here, so that's lucky for me. Only the custodians and I are left here. I am answering the phone so they can work upstairs, packing for our move.

The snow is falling thick and fast, and the ground is covered. We are to have around 6', I think. You all take care!

Suzanne :-)

Re: Here comes the snow!

Julie on 12/04/02 at 11:31 (101773)

Suzanne, you are lucky! Snow is what I miss most about the climate here in London. If we ever get a couple of inches (a very rare occurrence, and NEVER at Christmas) it turns into slush within a few hours.

Enjoy your snow! I'll bet the children are happy.

JudyS on 12/04/02 at 11:32 (101774)

Ah Suzanne, as a native of Michigan, I confess that I am jealous of your snow while I sit in SoCal staring out the window at bright blue, sunny skies.....doors open, well, you get the drift! No wait - you actually DO get the drift! You get a couple of them. and I don't. Bummer :(

Necee on 12/04/02 at 12:14 (101781)

Send some down my way Suzanne! I love the snow, and we never get it here.
Enjoy your winter wonderland.

Happy trails....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 12/04/02 at 12:30 (101784)

How exciting! We were supposed to have severe thunderstorms today, but it's sunny and windy. Maybe we're in for it tonight, or maybe it missed us.

Poor little Roger. It's nice to know that he loves school and counts on it so much every day.

Carole C

linda on 12/04/02 at 16:14 (101793)

hello suzanne ! after working last night the snow had not come , so i came home to snuggle up to my blankets and get a good morning sleep . i woke up to the bright snow . i am dreading driving the 2-64 watterson to work tonight . i hear the the roads are a mess . have a nice day off tomorrow . linda (ky)

Nancy N on 12/04/02 at 17:44 (101796)

Ours is supposed to arrive overnight tonight. My fellow teachers and I were very much looking forward to a possible snow day while we were talking at lunch today. I'm heading out on a road trip on Friday, so I either want it to snow just a little, or for the snow removal people to do a really good job (fortunately I will be driving mostly interstate highways, which are usually in the best shape after a storm). But I would still not complain if I had some extra time to get to work tomorrow, or to get ready for my trip!

I just learned today that, since we are a private boarding school, we don't make snow days up unless there are a LOT of them. We have enough international kids who have plane reservations that we can't really keep them longer. So that's either an added bonus or a real hassle because of lost time, depending on your point of view.

Julie on 12/05/02 at 02:45 (101815)

We've had the wettest November for 30 years (which is saying something) and the warmest on record. I don't think we shall ever see snow again! I am so envious of you all.

linda on 12/05/02 at 06:22 (101820)

well julie ! it is very nice to look at the snow , but driving is another thing . i thought last night was a headache going into work , but getting off work this morning w/ more snow and colder temp (ice --- on the underpasses ) was another driving miracle . one time i was working in surgery when we had over 10 in of snow and we had patients calling in wanting to know if their surgery was still on ---- i said that's if their surgeon can make it in . who would want to come all the way into the hospital and find out the surgeon and surgical staff could not make it in . please stay at home when the weather gets bad . linda (ky)

Nancy N on 12/05/02 at 06:28 (101821)

I agree with you. My kids all love the snow, and when we were discussing it a few weeks ago, I looked at them and said 'None of you drive yet, do you?' (they're all in 11th grade). They said no. I told them I loved snow until I had to drive in it, and that I still like it as long as I know I don't have to go anywhere. Thankfully we have a snow day today, and I have plenty of things to do at home so I don't have to go anywhere--and I'm not planning to! The only thing I might do is move my car to the other side of the parking lot so they snow removal guys can clear my space. But that's it!

If everyone stayed home when the snow was bad, the removal crews could do a better job, and we'd avoid so many accidents. But it seems there are too many people out there who think the snow is no big deal and that they can drive like they would any other day--especially those who drive the big SUVs. Just because it's big and has 4-wheel drive doesn't mean you should be out there driving like there's no snow. When those big trucks can't stop, they hit a lot harder than other cars will....

Re: Yes, beautiful but dangerous!

Suzanne D on 12/05/02 at 07:05 (101823)

The little girl in me LOVES the snow. I could sit for a long time and look out the window at the trees and fields around here. It is like a beautiful postcard.

But driving in it is another thing. I have always been thankful that in my job we are usually at home whenever the roads are bad. Today is a snow day from school for us, and I imagine tomorrow may be as well.

Linda, you be careful up there in Louisville driving to and from the hospital! I have the utmost admiration for those who have to drive to work in such weather. Since I have almost no experience in doing so, I just stay off the roads when they are slick. My husband is from the Indianapolis area and isn't intimidated by it as I am, so he will usually drive without hesitation.

I imagine to some of my northern friends on this site who are accustomed to large amounts of snow, it might seem strange for us to shut down with a few inches of snow. But the roads around here are hilly and curvy and sometimes narrow, and the snow removal equipment is minimal. So only the main roads get any attention, and the others are quite dangerous to travel. Before we got all the children home from school yesterday, there was a car which turned over on a hill about 5 miles from school. Thankfully there were no serious injuries. I think school bus drivers have to have nerves of steel ~ especially on days like yesterday!

Take care, everyone, and enjoy the snow if you have some. Julie, I wish I could send you some for your yard and trees!

wendyn on 12/05/02 at 07:15 (101825)

It did seem really strange to me Suzannne, but I do bear in mind things like lack of snow removal equipment etc.

The first good snow fall of every winter seems to cause mayhem her - it's like eveyone forgets how to drive during the summer. It settles down after that, and people adjust.

I live in the city, and I only remember one offical 'snow day' in my whole life. The rural areas get quite a few more than we do.

Suzanne D on 12/05/02 at 07:37 (101826)

I often think of you, Wendy, when we have snow like this and marvel at how you all get around in it! I suppose that when you are accustomed to the snow and learn to deal with it, it does make a difference. Sort of like people with no foot problems wondering how we manage to stretch and ice and take our medicine and wear special shoes and inserts, etc., and still get around! Mama always said that we learn to do what we have to do.

I remember one winter day about 6 years ago when snow began falling during the day at school. It wasn't really sticking, but the flakes were huge and beautiful. We stopped what we were doing, bundled up, and took a short walk outside, catching snowflakes on our tongues and having some fun moments before we went back in. The children enjoyed telling me how white my hair was (from the snow) and thought it was quite fun that we took that little break.

Some years we don't have any measureable snow, so when we do, it is memorable. Then other years we may have several snow days. When my almost 22 year old daughter was 3 or 4, we missed 22 days for snow that winter. We had some fun times on those days off. I took fabric scraps I had at home and made a Cabbage Patch doll outfit each day for her. That was a winter to remember. I even didn't mind all the make-up days which took us to June 9 (before the alternative calendar which we now have). Those winter days off were bonuses for me with the special times with my daughter.

Well, I've rambled on enough now! I think I should get busy and make the most of this unexpected day off. There are Christmas presents to wrap, cards to address, floors to sweep...:-)

Julie on 12/05/02 at 08:48 (101835)

I know. I'm still envious! Thanks for the thought, Suzanne.

Sheila S on 12/05/02 at 09:24 (101838)

from Virginia....we have several inches with a 2 inch layer of sleet on top. It took me 3 hours to get home last night. Beautiful to look at, but I'd rather see it in pictures!! lol (anyone south of here want to trade houses and jobs??) At least some of you are in more flat-land, or rolling hill, areas - I don't think I would mind driving in it if it weren't for the cliffs to slide off of here... =(

Enjoy your day off!

Kathy G on 12/05/02 at 09:43 (101839)

We have four inches forecast for NH. It looks like we're going to have a relatively normal winter for a change. For the last fifteen years, with a few exceptions, we've had very little snow and I really don't like it at all. Everything is dead and the grass is brown and it's just so ugly. I'd rather have a nice coating of snow.

I really love snow and like to drive in it although I seldom have had to drive during rush hour and that makes a big difference! Last year, I went to see the Boston Pops at UNH with my daughter and came home in a terrible storm. I finally got behind a sanding truck and followed him, at a safe distance, all the way home. It was a slow ride but much safer.

Hope everyone enjoys the snow and gets through it safely!

JudyS on 12/05/02 at 14:34 (101865)

Nen - snow angels........

Nancy N on 12/05/02 at 14:56 (101869)

Ah yes.... is that a hint? A request? I was just out there to dig out my car and move it so that our snow removal folks can clear my parking space for me, and it is really unpleasant out there. At least for the purposes of removing snow! There's a fair bit of it, I'd guess in the 5-6 inch neighborhood. Hard to walk through. Pretty powdery stuff, so no good for snowballs.

I do wish I was a kid again, though, because I would be having a blast in this weather. As a grown-up, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the NJ Dept of Transportation will do their usual good job clearing off the highways so I don't slide around on my triip tomorrow. I don't anticipate any problems, and I have to say that the snow will be the perfect backdrop for a Christmas Candlelight service!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/05/02 at 15:33 (101870)

I really can't imagine 5-6' of snow. Did it feel like you've iced your feet when you came inside after digging out your car? Sorry to hear it's no good for snowballs. That's a disappointment.

A couple of years ago I was sent to a government camp hidden away high up in the Appalachian (sp?) mountains, in January. It had snowed an inch or so. The first thing that I did was to get lost while walking by myself. I looked in all directions and saw nobody, so I made snowballs with my bare hands and threw them at a tree about 10 feet away. I missed consistently, but it was such fun! I hadn't seen snow for many years. I never explained to anyone why I was so late for dinner that evening. LOL

I hope your trip goes well. Be safe!!

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/05/02 at 17:41 (101890)

hey, unless i read too fast (definitely a possiblity), how come everyone's talking about driving in the snow and not walking in the snow? this is my fourth year trying to find something painless to wear in snow other than birks. i've tried everything from topnotch matterhorns to low-grade synthetic hikers from ames (what a mistake!!!).

we have only a couple of inches right now, but it's enough to get my feet wet in my birks on my three-second commute from house to shop. more white stuff is coming tonight.

since it's threatening to be a snowy, bitter winter, i guess i'm back to the hunt for perfect foul-weather footgear for this much-improved but still fragile pf-er & tendonitiser.

i wonder if a trip up to l.l. bean would be fruitful. it's only half an hour or so. has anyone found any hikers/boots there that are fragile-foot-friendly?

nancy

Kathy G on 12/05/02 at 19:49 (101903)

Hi Nancy,

I wear LL Bean Snow Walkers when my running shoes don't offer enough protection. If you got the catalog they sent out yesterday, they're on page 101. They easily accomodate my orthotics and though they're pretty geeky looking, they work when I clear the driveway, etc. Actually, on second look, they're not as geeky looking as when I got mine. I got the blue which turned out to be kind of neon blue. Now they come in better colors. I got the ones with the Velcro closures. Since I wasn't making a fashion statement, I thought why not get the easiest?

I'm sure you can find them online, too, but if you don't have the catalog, the item number is PK35053.

It's strange, isn't it, that the Cape is getting more snow than we are. I wonder if it's going to be another winter of southern storms? We've only got about 3' so far.

nancy s. on 12/05/02 at 20:01 (101905)

thanks, kathy. we got a bean catalog a week or so ago, but i think it already went to the transfer station. i''ll try to find the boot online, or will drive up to take a look. do they have any arch support at all, do you think? i can't wear my orthotics, so i'd just be using spencos or something like that. by better colors, i hope you mean black! or dark brown. i can't wear light or bright stuff on my feet. too distracting or something. i fall over curbs.

i'm with you -- go for the velcro. such a great sound. i love that stuff.

i hope you're right that it'll be a southern-storm winter! i saw on the weather channel that it's snowing both south and west of us, and now they're backtracking on the idea that we're going to get any at all tonight. yay! (sorry, julie -- if i could send it to you, i'd hope for a tiny bit, but snow wouldn't travel as well as moon pies.)

thanks again, kathy.

nancy

Re: Here comes the snow! -- p.s. to kathy

nancy s. on 12/05/02 at 20:06 (101906)

kathy, i just looked. it was so easy, with the item number! and they look really good to me! i'm going to drive up the next time i have insomnia -- probably in about six hours, or thirty-two hours -- and try some on. if you have found me the boots i've been looking for for so long, you will get twenty-five stars from me.
thanks,

nancy

linda on 12/05/02 at 20:20 (101907)

hello suzanne ! today i got to play w/ niece and nephew in the snow . they bombarded me w/ snowballs ( very cold if you get some on your face ) . we even made snow angels . when i was growing up the whole month of january ,school was pretty much closed due to the snow . we had a nice big hill behind our subdivision that we spent our days and nights sled riding . but i knew the snow was also dangerous when my father , a policeman was on a 'call' and ran into a big tree . i drove very slow on x-way , but it was the other people on the side and behind me that i was more concern about sliding into me . the main roads are clear , however the side streets are still a mess . the kids are happy their school is closed another day . becareful suzanne ! stay warm . linda (ky)

wendyn on 12/05/02 at 22:08 (101916)

Nancy - Julie always recommends North Facing Targas ( or something like that )

I will check them out one day. For now I make do with my Birks in the snow.

Julie on 12/06/02 at 02:38 (101933)

Hi Nancy

Wendy got there ahead of me - I was (of course) going to offer North Face Targas. Every foot is different, of course, but they are exactly what my feet need, and it took 67 years to find them. You could do worse than look into them.

I've just bought three more pairs for stock - I'm terrified they'll discontinue them and it will take me another 67 years to find their replacement.

But maybe you really want boots that come up around the ankles, and Targas are just normal shoe height.

nancy s. on 12/06/02 at 07:10 (101940)

julie and wendy, it's true -- i'm looking for boots up around the ankles. i'm going to check out those bean boots.

wendy, i've worn birks out into a lot of snows, and i just don't know how you do it up where you are! i'd wear my thickest socks, but they don't fit inside birks. it's a good icing, but aren't we supposed to be elevating and not walking while icing.

julie, i'll let you know what i find out from john about os upgrade. like you, i know nada beyond the typing part.

nancy

wendyn on 12/06/02 at 07:21 (101943)

Nancy, I avoid walking through deep snow, but for most days in the City..that's not too hard. I walk slowly on ice (Birks have terrible grip) and the cold does not bother me as long as I have socks on. Maybe nerve damage in my feet that I don't really feel the cold much?

Although, I did feel it a few weeks ago when I was too lazy to put on socks. I went to study for an exam, and my poor toes almost froze off walking across campus (it was well below freezing). Maybe the nerve endings are okay, but I'm just used to cold with socks?

If the snow is deep I throw on my running shoes or hubby's honkin big arctic boots. This would be for things like getting to the car after a big dump of snow, then I'd park my car underground at work.

Re: To Nancy

Kathy G on 12/06/02 at 08:33 (101947)

If the ones I mentioned don't seem like they have enough arch support, there are some on the same page of the catalog that may work out for me. They wouldn't work for me because I have narrow feet (thus the velcro). The item number is PK39151 (zippers) and PK35056 (slipons).

I sure hope they work out for you. Maybe LL Bean will pay me a commission!

I can't imagine walking in Birks in the snow or ice. I'm clumsy enough when I wear them in warm weather with no socks and no ice! For me, the more traction the better, rain or shine!!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/06/02 at 09:09 (101954)

Brrr, but Wendy, aren't your Birks custom made sandals? that sounds so cold for this time of year. I remember how cold your feet were last winter although I don't recall if you found any solution to that problem.

Right now, I'm at home wearing my Arizonas with socks but it was only 37 degrees in New Orleans this morning. My toes are a little chilly even indoors with socks. I think it's time to get out my Birkenstock Amsterdam clogs and dust them off for the winter.

Carole C

Re: boots

Suzanne D on 12/06/02 at 10:33 (101966)

HI, Nancy! Quite by accident, I have some boots that actually work for me. The brand is Coasters, and they are black, come about half-way up to the knee, are fur-lined, and zip up the front.

I bought them a few years ago on sale at the end of winter as they were cheap and had my size. It didn't snow here for the next two years, and I never wore them. I found last year to my delight that my Birk 3/4 inserts fit in them well and actually made them feel better as I have a narrow heel, and without any inserts the boots slipped up a little when I walked. They are very firm in the heel, and I actually can wear them for long periods of time in comfort.

My Superfeet inserts which I got this fall do not work in them as they are full-length and make the boot too snug in the heel area. But the Birk inserts work fine. I've been wearing them since Wednesday whenever I have gone out.

I wish you luck in finding something which works for you! I sometimes wear Birk sandals to school with thick socks in the winter (when it's not snowing). It's so strange ~ I went through a period of time in the summer when I couldn't wear my Birks; not that it's cold, they feel good!

A funny aside ~ a little girl in my Sunday School class came last Sunday in her summer sandals with socks because she had seen me wear my sandals with socks to school!

Re: oops...

Suzanne D on 12/06/02 at 10:35 (101967)

I should have said 'My Superfeet inserts which I got this fall do not work in them as they are full-length and make the boot too snug in the TOE area'.

Why is it that I forget to carefully proofread until AFTER I post?

Re: Sandals, Sunday school, and little girls

Carole C in NOLA on 12/06/02 at 10:56 (101973)

Suzanne, I am so glad to hear that your Birkenstocks are working for you again!! Maybe your feet are so tender that you need the thick socks that you wear with them in the winter (assuming that you don't wear the thick socks in the summer?). I do like my Birkenstocks a lot better with thick socks.

Are you all moved into your new classroom yet? I saw the post where you were talking about packing your things up, and as I recall the move was to be in December. At any rate, I hope that teaching on those hard floors in the new school building doesn't result in a setback. Knowing that your Birkenstocks are comfortable once again must be a big relief because maybe they will help.

THat is so cute about the little girl in your Sunday school class! I have a story about Sunday school, a little girl, and sandals.

When I was barely five years old, I whispered to my mother, asking her for 'shoes just like Jesus wore'. I meant sandals, because I had seen paintings of Jesus wearing sandals. This was the age when we often sang, 'Jesus loves me this I know, 'cause the Bible tells me so' and so on. I wanted to be as good and as faithful to God as a human could be, and to love little children, just like Jesus. I thought wearing sandals would help me somehow in these spiritual goals. :)

Carole C

wendyn on 12/06/02 at 12:13 (101985)

Carole, I do have one pair of custom made birks - but they're really looking pretty crappy. I have another pair of regular birks that I'm wearing a lot more.

I'm probably due for a new set of each. The customer birks are a pain to get, I have to go in and get recasted each time. Last time, one of them wasn't right and I ended up waiting 6 weeks for a new one (mind you - it was July not December).

I can wear running shoes (for short periods of time), so one would think that I could find some outdoor shoes that would work. I haven't had much luck though, and I find shoe shopping to be even more frustrating than other types of shopping.

When it's very cold and snowy, I always have hubby's big huge white arctic boots in the van. I'm (usuallY) not stupid enough to be out on bad roads without something sensible in case the van breaks down. Mind you, I probably wouldn't walk real far - I'd be sitting and calling for help on my cell phone.

(Can you tell I'm getting close to final exam time? The amount of time I spend on the board is directly proportionate to how much time I am _supposed_ to be studying.)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/06/02 at 12:57 (101993)

You probably wouldn't walk too far if the van breaks down, but you are smart to have those boots because you never know. If anything can go wrong, it usually does so it's good to have a little redundancy in your safety measures.

I'm glad to hear that you can wear the regular Birks too. They are probably a lot less expensive.

Those big huge white arctic boots sound nice and warm. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/06/02 at 12:58 (101994)

That is so sweet, Carole! Just think ~ after all these years, you got your wish (shoes like Jesus wore). When my husband first saw my Birks, he remarked that they looked like Bible drama shoes!

Little children in their zeal and innocent hearts ~ that is one thing I love about them. Once, a little girl (about 3) who had me in class at church saw me at the corner store. She said to her mom, 'Look, mommy! There's Mrs. Jesus!' Talk about making me feel humble and once more realize how children look up to us who teach them. Whew!

Our last day of school is to be December 20, and we are to move the 23rd. I have 60 boxes taped and ready so far, but our days off this week due to snow have slowed down the process some. I have tried to take advantage of the time, though, and do things at home I needed to do as well as get a little extra rest. My college daughter had two concerts this week ~ Tuesday night in a small orchestra which accompanied the choir and last night with the full orchestra. I was afraid with the snow that we would be unable to go last night, but we made it. It was so beautiful and special, also, as it was her last concert. She will move home in a week and then do her student teaching beginning in January. So I was glad for the extra rest with our snow days so that I could fully enjoy the concerts!

How is it that I start writing about one thing and end up on many subjects? That's the way I talk, too. :-)

Take care,

Re: Moving your classroom, concerts

Carole C in NOLA on 12/06/02 at 13:05 (101996)

Suzanne, I'm glad you are scheduled to move to the new classroom on the 23rd, because maybe that will give you a few days over Christmas to recover from the move before you have to begin teaching. The extra rest you are getting now should help.

How wonderful that your daughter's last concerts weren't cancelled due to the snow! I'd imagine that she is getting pretty excited about doing her student teaching in January.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/06/02 at 13:12 (101998)

Yes, I am happy that we will have the Christmas break to get moved and recuperated! Like you said, I am so cautious and leary about the concrete floors...I do hope I will be able to manage and not have a set-back.

Yes, my daughter is getting quite excited about her student teaching. And her wedding is in April, so the new year will brings lots of changes!

john h on 12/06/02 at 19:14 (102026)

wendy needs mukaluks not ankle high girly shoes.

Julie on 12/04/02 at 11:31 (101773)

Suzanne, you are lucky! Snow is what I miss most about the climate here in London. If we ever get a couple of inches (a very rare occurrence, and NEVER at Christmas) it turns into slush within a few hours.

Enjoy your snow! I'll bet the children are happy.

JudyS on 12/04/02 at 11:32 (101774)

Ah Suzanne, as a native of Michigan, I confess that I am jealous of your snow while I sit in SoCal staring out the window at bright blue, sunny skies.....doors open, well, you get the drift! No wait - you actually DO get the drift! You get a couple of them. and I don't. Bummer :(

Necee on 12/04/02 at 12:14 (101781)

Send some down my way Suzanne! I love the snow, and we never get it here.
Enjoy your winter wonderland.

Happy trails....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 12/04/02 at 12:30 (101784)

How exciting! We were supposed to have severe thunderstorms today, but it's sunny and windy. Maybe we're in for it tonight, or maybe it missed us.

Poor little Roger. It's nice to know that he loves school and counts on it so much every day.

Carole C

linda on 12/04/02 at 16:14 (101793)

hello suzanne ! after working last night the snow had not come , so i came home to snuggle up to my blankets and get a good morning sleep . i woke up to the bright snow . i am dreading driving the 2-64 watterson to work tonight . i hear the the roads are a mess . have a nice day off tomorrow . linda (ky)

Nancy N on 12/04/02 at 17:44 (101796)

Ours is supposed to arrive overnight tonight. My fellow teachers and I were very much looking forward to a possible snow day while we were talking at lunch today. I'm heading out on a road trip on Friday, so I either want it to snow just a little, or for the snow removal people to do a really good job (fortunately I will be driving mostly interstate highways, which are usually in the best shape after a storm). But I would still not complain if I had some extra time to get to work tomorrow, or to get ready for my trip!

I just learned today that, since we are a private boarding school, we don't make snow days up unless there are a LOT of them. We have enough international kids who have plane reservations that we can't really keep them longer. So that's either an added bonus or a real hassle because of lost time, depending on your point of view.

Julie on 12/05/02 at 02:45 (101815)

We've had the wettest November for 30 years (which is saying something) and the warmest on record. I don't think we shall ever see snow again! I am so envious of you all.

linda on 12/05/02 at 06:22 (101820)

well julie ! it is very nice to look at the snow , but driving is another thing . i thought last night was a headache going into work , but getting off work this morning w/ more snow and colder temp (ice --- on the underpasses ) was another driving miracle . one time i was working in surgery when we had over 10 in of snow and we had patients calling in wanting to know if their surgery was still on ---- i said that's if their surgeon can make it in . who would want to come all the way into the hospital and find out the surgeon and surgical staff could not make it in . please stay at home when the weather gets bad . linda (ky)

Nancy N on 12/05/02 at 06:28 (101821)

I agree with you. My kids all love the snow, and when we were discussing it a few weeks ago, I looked at them and said 'None of you drive yet, do you?' (they're all in 11th grade). They said no. I told them I loved snow until I had to drive in it, and that I still like it as long as I know I don't have to go anywhere. Thankfully we have a snow day today, and I have plenty of things to do at home so I don't have to go anywhere--and I'm not planning to! The only thing I might do is move my car to the other side of the parking lot so they snow removal guys can clear my space. But that's it!

If everyone stayed home when the snow was bad, the removal crews could do a better job, and we'd avoid so many accidents. But it seems there are too many people out there who think the snow is no big deal and that they can drive like they would any other day--especially those who drive the big SUVs. Just because it's big and has 4-wheel drive doesn't mean you should be out there driving like there's no snow. When those big trucks can't stop, they hit a lot harder than other cars will....

Suzanne D on 12/05/02 at 07:05 (101823)

The little girl in me LOVES the snow. I could sit for a long time and look out the window at the trees and fields around here. It is like a beautiful postcard.

But driving in it is another thing. I have always been thankful that in my job we are usually at home whenever the roads are bad. Today is a snow day from school for us, and I imagine tomorrow may be as well.

Linda, you be careful up there in Louisville driving to and from the hospital! I have the utmost admiration for those who have to drive to work in such weather. Since I have almost no experience in doing so, I just stay off the roads when they are slick. My husband is from the Indianapolis area and isn't intimidated by it as I am, so he will usually drive without hesitation.

I imagine to some of my northern friends on this site who are accustomed to large amounts of snow, it might seem strange for us to shut down with a few inches of snow. But the roads around here are hilly and curvy and sometimes narrow, and the snow removal equipment is minimal. So only the main roads get any attention, and the others are quite dangerous to travel. Before we got all the children home from school yesterday, there was a car which turned over on a hill about 5 miles from school. Thankfully there were no serious injuries. I think school bus drivers have to have nerves of steel ~ especially on days like yesterday!

Take care, everyone, and enjoy the snow if you have some. Julie, I wish I could send you some for your yard and trees!

wendyn on 12/05/02 at 07:15 (101825)

It did seem really strange to me Suzannne, but I do bear in mind things like lack of snow removal equipment etc.

The first good snow fall of every winter seems to cause mayhem her - it's like eveyone forgets how to drive during the summer. It settles down after that, and people adjust.

I live in the city, and I only remember one offical 'snow day' in my whole life. The rural areas get quite a few more than we do.

Suzanne D on 12/05/02 at 07:37 (101826)

I often think of you, Wendy, when we have snow like this and marvel at how you all get around in it! I suppose that when you are accustomed to the snow and learn to deal with it, it does make a difference. Sort of like people with no foot problems wondering how we manage to stretch and ice and take our medicine and wear special shoes and inserts, etc., and still get around! Mama always said that we learn to do what we have to do.

I remember one winter day about 6 years ago when snow began falling during the day at school. It wasn't really sticking, but the flakes were huge and beautiful. We stopped what we were doing, bundled up, and took a short walk outside, catching snowflakes on our tongues and having some fun moments before we went back in. The children enjoyed telling me how white my hair was (from the snow) and thought it was quite fun that we took that little break.

Some years we don't have any measureable snow, so when we do, it is memorable. Then other years we may have several snow days. When my almost 22 year old daughter was 3 or 4, we missed 22 days for snow that winter. We had some fun times on those days off. I took fabric scraps I had at home and made a Cabbage Patch doll outfit each day for her. That was a winter to remember. I even didn't mind all the make-up days which took us to June 9 (before the alternative calendar which we now have). Those winter days off were bonuses for me with the special times with my daughter.

Well, I've rambled on enough now! I think I should get busy and make the most of this unexpected day off. There are Christmas presents to wrap, cards to address, floors to sweep...:-)

Julie on 12/05/02 at 08:48 (101835)

I know. I'm still envious! Thanks for the thought, Suzanne.

Sheila S on 12/05/02 at 09:24 (101838)

from Virginia....we have several inches with a 2 inch layer of sleet on top. It took me 3 hours to get home last night. Beautiful to look at, but I'd rather see it in pictures!! lol (anyone south of here want to trade houses and jobs??) At least some of you are in more flat-land, or rolling hill, areas - I don't think I would mind driving in it if it weren't for the cliffs to slide off of here... =(

Enjoy your day off!

Kathy G on 12/05/02 at 09:43 (101839)

We have four inches forecast for NH. It looks like we're going to have a relatively normal winter for a change. For the last fifteen years, with a few exceptions, we've had very little snow and I really don't like it at all. Everything is dead and the grass is brown and it's just so ugly. I'd rather have a nice coating of snow.

I really love snow and like to drive in it although I seldom have had to drive during rush hour and that makes a big difference! Last year, I went to see the Boston Pops at UNH with my daughter and came home in a terrible storm. I finally got behind a sanding truck and followed him, at a safe distance, all the way home. It was a slow ride but much safer.

Hope everyone enjoys the snow and gets through it safely!

JudyS on 12/05/02 at 14:34 (101865)

Nen - snow angels........

Nancy N on 12/05/02 at 14:56 (101869)

Ah yes.... is that a hint? A request? I was just out there to dig out my car and move it so that our snow removal folks can clear my parking space for me, and it is really unpleasant out there. At least for the purposes of removing snow! There's a fair bit of it, I'd guess in the 5-6 inch neighborhood. Hard to walk through. Pretty powdery stuff, so no good for snowballs.

I do wish I was a kid again, though, because I would be having a blast in this weather. As a grown-up, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the NJ Dept of Transportation will do their usual good job clearing off the highways so I don't slide around on my triip tomorrow. I don't anticipate any problems, and I have to say that the snow will be the perfect backdrop for a Christmas Candlelight service!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/05/02 at 15:33 (101870)

I really can't imagine 5-6' of snow. Did it feel like you've iced your feet when you came inside after digging out your car? Sorry to hear it's no good for snowballs. That's a disappointment.

A couple of years ago I was sent to a government camp hidden away high up in the Appalachian (sp?) mountains, in January. It had snowed an inch or so. The first thing that I did was to get lost while walking by myself. I looked in all directions and saw nobody, so I made snowballs with my bare hands and threw them at a tree about 10 feet away. I missed consistently, but it was such fun! I hadn't seen snow for many years. I never explained to anyone why I was so late for dinner that evening. LOL

I hope your trip goes well. Be safe!!

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/05/02 at 17:41 (101890)

hey, unless i read too fast (definitely a possiblity), how come everyone's talking about driving in the snow and not walking in the snow? this is my fourth year trying to find something painless to wear in snow other than birks. i've tried everything from topnotch matterhorns to low-grade synthetic hikers from ames (what a mistake!!!).

we have only a couple of inches right now, but it's enough to get my feet wet in my birks on my three-second commute from house to shop. more white stuff is coming tonight.

since it's threatening to be a snowy, bitter winter, i guess i'm back to the hunt for perfect foul-weather footgear for this much-improved but still fragile pf-er & tendonitiser.

i wonder if a trip up to l.l. bean would be fruitful. it's only half an hour or so. has anyone found any hikers/boots there that are fragile-foot-friendly?

nancy

Kathy G on 12/05/02 at 19:49 (101903)

Hi Nancy,

I wear LL Bean Snow Walkers when my running shoes don't offer enough protection. If you got the catalog they sent out yesterday, they're on page 101. They easily accomodate my orthotics and though they're pretty geeky looking, they work when I clear the driveway, etc. Actually, on second look, they're not as geeky looking as when I got mine. I got the blue which turned out to be kind of neon blue. Now they come in better colors. I got the ones with the Velcro closures. Since I wasn't making a fashion statement, I thought why not get the easiest?

I'm sure you can find them online, too, but if you don't have the catalog, the item number is PK35053.

It's strange, isn't it, that the Cape is getting more snow than we are. I wonder if it's going to be another winter of southern storms? We've only got about 3' so far.

nancy s. on 12/05/02 at 20:01 (101905)

thanks, kathy. we got a bean catalog a week or so ago, but i think it already went to the transfer station. i''ll try to find the boot online, or will drive up to take a look. do they have any arch support at all, do you think? i can't wear my orthotics, so i'd just be using spencos or something like that. by better colors, i hope you mean black! or dark brown. i can't wear light or bright stuff on my feet. too distracting or something. i fall over curbs.

i'm with you -- go for the velcro. such a great sound. i love that stuff.

i hope you're right that it'll be a southern-storm winter! i saw on the weather channel that it's snowing both south and west of us, and now they're backtracking on the idea that we're going to get any at all tonight. yay! (sorry, julie -- if i could send it to you, i'd hope for a tiny bit, but snow wouldn't travel as well as moon pies.)

thanks again, kathy.

nancy

Re: Here comes the snow! -- p.s. to kathy

nancy s. on 12/05/02 at 20:06 (101906)

kathy, i just looked. it was so easy, with the item number! and they look really good to me! i'm going to drive up the next time i have insomnia -- probably in about six hours, or thirty-two hours -- and try some on. if you have found me the boots i've been looking for for so long, you will get twenty-five stars from me.
thanks,

nancy

linda on 12/05/02 at 20:20 (101907)

hello suzanne ! today i got to play w/ niece and nephew in the snow . they bombarded me w/ snowballs ( very cold if you get some on your face ) . we even made snow angels . when i was growing up the whole month of january ,school was pretty much closed due to the snow . we had a nice big hill behind our subdivision that we spent our days and nights sled riding . but i knew the snow was also dangerous when my father , a policeman was on a 'call' and ran into a big tree . i drove very slow on x-way , but it was the other people on the side and behind me that i was more concern about sliding into me . the main roads are clear , however the side streets are still a mess . the kids are happy their school is closed another day . becareful suzanne ! stay warm . linda (ky)

wendyn on 12/05/02 at 22:08 (101916)

Nancy - Julie always recommends North Facing Targas ( or something like that )

I will check them out one day. For now I make do with my Birks in the snow.

Julie on 12/06/02 at 02:38 (101933)

Hi Nancy

Wendy got there ahead of me - I was (of course) going to offer North Face Targas. Every foot is different, of course, but they are exactly what my feet need, and it took 67 years to find them. You could do worse than look into them.

I've just bought three more pairs for stock - I'm terrified they'll discontinue them and it will take me another 67 years to find their replacement.

But maybe you really want boots that come up around the ankles, and Targas are just normal shoe height.

nancy s. on 12/06/02 at 07:10 (101940)

julie and wendy, it's true -- i'm looking for boots up around the ankles. i'm going to check out those bean boots.

wendy, i've worn birks out into a lot of snows, and i just don't know how you do it up where you are! i'd wear my thickest socks, but they don't fit inside birks. it's a good icing, but aren't we supposed to be elevating and not walking while icing.

julie, i'll let you know what i find out from john about os upgrade. like you, i know nada beyond the typing part.

nancy

wendyn on 12/06/02 at 07:21 (101943)

Nancy, I avoid walking through deep snow, but for most days in the City..that's not too hard. I walk slowly on ice (Birks have terrible grip) and the cold does not bother me as long as I have socks on. Maybe nerve damage in my feet that I don't really feel the cold much?

Although, I did feel it a few weeks ago when I was too lazy to put on socks. I went to study for an exam, and my poor toes almost froze off walking across campus (it was well below freezing). Maybe the nerve endings are okay, but I'm just used to cold with socks?

If the snow is deep I throw on my running shoes or hubby's honkin big arctic boots. This would be for things like getting to the car after a big dump of snow, then I'd park my car underground at work.

Re: To Nancy

Kathy G on 12/06/02 at 08:33 (101947)

If the ones I mentioned don't seem like they have enough arch support, there are some on the same page of the catalog that may work out for me. They wouldn't work for me because I have narrow feet (thus the velcro). The item number is PK39151 (zippers) and PK35056 (slipons).

I sure hope they work out for you. Maybe LL Bean will pay me a commission!

I can't imagine walking in Birks in the snow or ice. I'm clumsy enough when I wear them in warm weather with no socks and no ice! For me, the more traction the better, rain or shine!!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/06/02 at 09:09 (101954)

Brrr, but Wendy, aren't your Birks custom made sandals? that sounds so cold for this time of year. I remember how cold your feet were last winter although I don't recall if you found any solution to that problem.

Right now, I'm at home wearing my Arizonas with socks but it was only 37 degrees in New Orleans this morning. My toes are a little chilly even indoors with socks. I think it's time to get out my Birkenstock Amsterdam clogs and dust them off for the winter.

Carole C

Re: boots

Suzanne D on 12/06/02 at 10:33 (101966)

HI, Nancy! Quite by accident, I have some boots that actually work for me. The brand is Coasters, and they are black, come about half-way up to the knee, are fur-lined, and zip up the front.

I bought them a few years ago on sale at the end of winter as they were cheap and had my size. It didn't snow here for the next two years, and I never wore them. I found last year to my delight that my Birk 3/4 inserts fit in them well and actually made them feel better as I have a narrow heel, and without any inserts the boots slipped up a little when I walked. They are very firm in the heel, and I actually can wear them for long periods of time in comfort.

My Superfeet inserts which I got this fall do not work in them as they are full-length and make the boot too snug in the heel area. But the Birk inserts work fine. I've been wearing them since Wednesday whenever I have gone out.

I wish you luck in finding something which works for you! I sometimes wear Birk sandals to school with thick socks in the winter (when it's not snowing). It's so strange ~ I went through a period of time in the summer when I couldn't wear my Birks; not that it's cold, they feel good!

A funny aside ~ a little girl in my Sunday School class came last Sunday in her summer sandals with socks because she had seen me wear my sandals with socks to school!

Re: oops...

Suzanne D on 12/06/02 at 10:35 (101967)

I should have said 'My Superfeet inserts which I got this fall do not work in them as they are full-length and make the boot too snug in the TOE area'.

Why is it that I forget to carefully proofread until AFTER I post?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/06/02 at 10:56 (101973)

Suzanne, I am so glad to hear that your Birkenstocks are working for you again!! Maybe your feet are so tender that you need the thick socks that you wear with them in the winter (assuming that you don't wear the thick socks in the summer?). I do like my Birkenstocks a lot better with thick socks.

Are you all moved into your new classroom yet? I saw the post where you were talking about packing your things up, and as I recall the move was to be in December. At any rate, I hope that teaching on those hard floors in the new school building doesn't result in a setback. Knowing that your Birkenstocks are comfortable once again must be a big relief because maybe they will help.

THat is so cute about the little girl in your Sunday school class! I have a story about Sunday school, a little girl, and sandals.

When I was barely five years old, I whispered to my mother, asking her for 'shoes just like Jesus wore'. I meant sandals, because I had seen paintings of Jesus wearing sandals. This was the age when we often sang, 'Jesus loves me this I know, 'cause the Bible tells me so' and so on. I wanted to be as good and as faithful to God as a human could be, and to love little children, just like Jesus. I thought wearing sandals would help me somehow in these spiritual goals. :)

Carole C

wendyn on 12/06/02 at 12:13 (101985)

Carole, I do have one pair of custom made birks - but they're really looking pretty crappy. I have another pair of regular birks that I'm wearing a lot more.

I'm probably due for a new set of each. The customer birks are a pain to get, I have to go in and get recasted each time. Last time, one of them wasn't right and I ended up waiting 6 weeks for a new one (mind you - it was July not December).

I can wear running shoes (for short periods of time), so one would think that I could find some outdoor shoes that would work. I haven't had much luck though, and I find shoe shopping to be even more frustrating than other types of shopping.

When it's very cold and snowy, I always have hubby's big huge white arctic boots in the van. I'm (usuallY) not stupid enough to be out on bad roads without something sensible in case the van breaks down. Mind you, I probably wouldn't walk real far - I'd be sitting and calling for help on my cell phone.

(Can you tell I'm getting close to final exam time? The amount of time I spend on the board is directly proportionate to how much time I am _supposed_ to be studying.)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/06/02 at 12:57 (101993)

You probably wouldn't walk too far if the van breaks down, but you are smart to have those boots because you never know. If anything can go wrong, it usually does so it's good to have a little redundancy in your safety measures.

I'm glad to hear that you can wear the regular Birks too. They are probably a lot less expensive.

Those big huge white arctic boots sound nice and warm. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/06/02 at 12:58 (101994)

That is so sweet, Carole! Just think ~ after all these years, you got your wish (shoes like Jesus wore). When my husband first saw my Birks, he remarked that they looked like Bible drama shoes!

Little children in their zeal and innocent hearts ~ that is one thing I love about them. Once, a little girl (about 3) who had me in class at church saw me at the corner store. She said to her mom, 'Look, mommy! There's Mrs. Jesus!' Talk about making me feel humble and once more realize how children look up to us who teach them. Whew!

Our last day of school is to be December 20, and we are to move the 23rd. I have 60 boxes taped and ready so far, but our days off this week due to snow have slowed down the process some. I have tried to take advantage of the time, though, and do things at home I needed to do as well as get a little extra rest. My college daughter had two concerts this week ~ Tuesday night in a small orchestra which accompanied the choir and last night with the full orchestra. I was afraid with the snow that we would be unable to go last night, but we made it. It was so beautiful and special, also, as it was her last concert. She will move home in a week and then do her student teaching beginning in January. So I was glad for the extra rest with our snow days so that I could fully enjoy the concerts!

How is it that I start writing about one thing and end up on many subjects? That's the way I talk, too. :-)

Take care,

Carole C in NOLA on 12/06/02 at 13:05 (101996)

Suzanne, I'm glad you are scheduled to move to the new classroom on the 23rd, because maybe that will give you a few days over Christmas to recover from the move before you have to begin teaching. The extra rest you are getting now should help.

How wonderful that your daughter's last concerts weren't cancelled due to the snow! I'd imagine that she is getting pretty excited about doing her student teaching in January.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/06/02 at 13:12 (101998)

Yes, I am happy that we will have the Christmas break to get moved and recuperated! Like you said, I am so cautious and leary about the concrete floors...I do hope I will be able to manage and not have a set-back.

Yes, my daughter is getting quite excited about her student teaching. And her wedding is in April, so the new year will brings lots of changes!

john h on 12/06/02 at 19:14 (102026)

wendy needs mukaluks not ankle high girly shoes.