Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Do's and Dont's of Thanksgiving:

Posted by JudyS on 12/04/02 at 11:47 (101779)

DO:

Treasure the moments with your family, friends, etc.
Eat a ton of Turkey
Grab all the cranberry sauce you can get 'hold of
Sneak a pumpkin pie in to your car....

DON'T:

Drop your cell phone in the toilet
especially if the person who came before you failed to flush.....)

Re: You might be a red neck......

Necee on 12/04/02 at 12:38 (101787)

if you use your ironing board as a buffet table.....
You might be a red neck if your complete set of salad bowls says Cool Whip on the sides,
If you use the ping pong table as a dining table,
If the only condiment is ketchup,
If your serving platter is a old hub cap,
if your side dishes include beef jerky and moon pies!!
If you serve vienna sausage as an appetizer,
If the directions to your house say...turn off the paved road,
If you consider pork and beans to be gormet food....then you just might be a red neck.

Happy trails....

Necee

Re: Do's and Dont's of Thanksgiving:

Nancy N on 12/04/02 at 17:13 (101794)

I made cauliflower and almond cream soup last night, with cauliflower my mom had at home last weekend (my dad bought a head of the stuff so big that, when it was wrapped up, you couldn't tell which was the cauliflower and which was the turkey). I haven't made this soup in ages, because it involves blending it all up at the end, which is kind of a pain.

Well, last night's culinary lesson was the following:

If you're blending hot soup and don't want to get it all over you and your cabinets, stopping at 'Low' before moving to 'High' might be a good idea.

(and yes, I have soup left, and it's really good!!)

Julie on 12/05/02 at 02:43 (101814)

Nancy, next time let the soup cool before blending it. That stops spattering.

Cauliflower and almond cream soup sounds delicious. Would you like to share the recipe?

Nancy N on 12/05/02 at 05:41 (101818)

The blending process was fine once I started on Low and then went to High, rather than just going right to the High setting. I last made this soup about 6 years ago and the same thing happened (and I got a fairly serious burn, though not badly enough to need medical attention). I guess nobody ever told me that going right to the High setting was just too much for most blenders. I have a great carrot/zucchini soup recipe I got at the same time as this one, but since it doesn't have nuts in it, I can use my handblender to blend it up, which is much easier. I make that one a lot more often :)

At any rate, since I've just got the call that I have a snow day today (wah-hoo!), and since I've been wide awake since 4:30, I see no readon not to share the recipe. It is really yummy stuff. The recipe is one I got while I was in Northern Ireland, where I took a cooking class at the local Further Education college, so for the Yanks among us, the recipe is measured in weights rather than cups/spoons. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, though.

Cauliflower and Almond Cream Soup

4 oz flaked (sliced) almonds
2 oz butter (this was a little more than 2 tablespoons when I weighed the butter the other night)
1 onion, chopped
1 lb cauliflower florets
2 1/4 pints chicken stock
saffron (I never have this and I don't think it makes much difference to leave it out)
freshly grated nutmeg
salt and freshly ground pepper
5 fl oz double (heavy) cream

Toast half the almonds on a sheet of foil under the grill.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and fry gently until soft.

Add the cauliflower and the untoasted almonds and stir, cover, and cook gently for ten minutes.

Add the stock and stir well. Add saffron and a pinch off nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until cauliflower is very tender.

Puree the soup in a blender (run through twice to thoroughly liquidize almonds). Return to the pan and add half the cream, and reheat gently. Taste and adjust seasoning, then pour into a tureen.

Swirl in the remaining cream and sprinkle with toasted almonds and a little nutmeg. Serve immediately.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/05/02 at 11:26 (101851)

We have used our washing machine and dryer as our 'buffet table'. Is that bad?? haha.
Small kitchen...my wife lets me hear how small the kitchen is every day.
Richard

JudyS on 12/05/02 at 14:33 (101864)

Well gosh, Rich, what with that new baby and all, a new kitchen does seem in order...:)

Hasn't anyone guessed what silly thing I did on Thanksgiving day?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/05/02 at 14:39 (101866)

Does it count if I kind of like the idea of using the ping pong table as a dining table? Right now I can afford a nice dining table, but if I couldn't, well, I think that's kind of clever! :)

Carole C (a redneck in disguise?)

wendyn on 12/05/02 at 22:11 (101918)

Judy, didn't you drop your phone in the toilet?

My husband did that last year, but at least it was an already flushed toilet!

Re: Ok Judy, here's my answer

Necee on 12/06/02 at 00:42 (101923)

You did all the DO's and Don'ts at Thanksgiving......that's my guess.
Now the one about droping the phone in the toilet......I'd be getting another phone! There's just something about putting a phone next to my face and mouth after it's taken the plung like that.

Happy trails....

Necee

Suzanne D on 12/06/02 at 10:23 (101963)

My husband preaches at a small church out here in the country, and every other Sunday he also preaches at an even smaller church a few miles away(about 40 people - one room building) after our service here. That church is in another county and time zone, so he can make both. Once a year they have a homecoming dinner, and due to space, it is served outdoors. I have seen two wagon beds pulled up to the side yard of the church, full of various dishes for the pot-luck meal. You could travel miles and miles to find any better food! So, I guess what's on the table is more important than what the table is made of! :-)

I do enjoy the red-neck jokes, even if I can relate all too well to many of them!

And, oh yes, Judy, you don't have to worry about dropping a phone in the bathroom there as they have none! Your story made me think of one of my earliest memories. I had a set of bears which were my favorite toys. There was Mama and Papa bear and little baby bear. I took baby bear with me wherever I went, and - you guessed it - I dropped it in the toilet. Mama tried washing it, but he fell apart. Must have been a big disappointment to me as I remember it vividly!

Suzanne :-)

john h on 12/06/02 at 19:12 (102025)

The guy I work for has thrown two cell phones in the lake and one in the toilet. As you can see he is impatient and would you believe the phone company cancelled his cell phone insurance.

JudyS on 12/06/02 at 23:52 (102040)

Necee, I have no choice, the phone died. I wonder if it was from the water or from the.........well, never mind. :)

Necee on 12/04/02 at 12:38 (101787)

if you use your ironing board as a buffet table.....
You might be a red neck if your complete set of salad bowls says Cool Whip on the sides,
If you use the ping pong table as a dining table,
If the only condiment is ketchup,
If your serving platter is a old hub cap,
if your side dishes include beef jerky and moon pies!!
If you serve vienna sausage as an appetizer,
If the directions to your house say...turn off the paved road,
If you consider pork and beans to be gormet food....then you just might be a red neck.

Happy trails....

Necee

Nancy N on 12/04/02 at 17:13 (101794)

I made cauliflower and almond cream soup last night, with cauliflower my mom had at home last weekend (my dad bought a head of the stuff so big that, when it was wrapped up, you couldn't tell which was the cauliflower and which was the turkey). I haven't made this soup in ages, because it involves blending it all up at the end, which is kind of a pain.

Well, last night's culinary lesson was the following:

If you're blending hot soup and don't want to get it all over you and your cabinets, stopping at 'Low' before moving to 'High' might be a good idea.

(and yes, I have soup left, and it's really good!!)

Julie on 12/05/02 at 02:43 (101814)

Nancy, next time let the soup cool before blending it. That stops spattering.

Cauliflower and almond cream soup sounds delicious. Would you like to share the recipe?

Nancy N on 12/05/02 at 05:41 (101818)

The blending process was fine once I started on Low and then went to High, rather than just going right to the High setting. I last made this soup about 6 years ago and the same thing happened (and I got a fairly serious burn, though not badly enough to need medical attention). I guess nobody ever told me that going right to the High setting was just too much for most blenders. I have a great carrot/zucchini soup recipe I got at the same time as this one, but since it doesn't have nuts in it, I can use my handblender to blend it up, which is much easier. I make that one a lot more often :)

At any rate, since I've just got the call that I have a snow day today (wah-hoo!), and since I've been wide awake since 4:30, I see no readon not to share the recipe. It is really yummy stuff. The recipe is one I got while I was in Northern Ireland, where I took a cooking class at the local Further Education college, so for the Yanks among us, the recipe is measured in weights rather than cups/spoons. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, though.

Cauliflower and Almond Cream Soup

4 oz flaked (sliced) almonds
2 oz butter (this was a little more than 2 tablespoons when I weighed the butter the other night)
1 onion, chopped
1 lb cauliflower florets
2 1/4 pints chicken stock
saffron (I never have this and I don't think it makes much difference to leave it out)
freshly grated nutmeg
salt and freshly ground pepper
5 fl oz double (heavy) cream

Toast half the almonds on a sheet of foil under the grill.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and fry gently until soft.

Add the cauliflower and the untoasted almonds and stir, cover, and cook gently for ten minutes.

Add the stock and stir well. Add saffron and a pinch off nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until cauliflower is very tender.

Puree the soup in a blender (run through twice to thoroughly liquidize almonds). Return to the pan and add half the cream, and reheat gently. Taste and adjust seasoning, then pour into a tureen.

Swirl in the remaining cream and sprinkle with toasted almonds and a little nutmeg. Serve immediately.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/05/02 at 11:26 (101851)

We have used our washing machine and dryer as our 'buffet table'. Is that bad?? haha.
Small kitchen...my wife lets me hear how small the kitchen is every day.
Richard

JudyS on 12/05/02 at 14:33 (101864)

Well gosh, Rich, what with that new baby and all, a new kitchen does seem in order...:)

Hasn't anyone guessed what silly thing I did on Thanksgiving day?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/05/02 at 14:39 (101866)

Does it count if I kind of like the idea of using the ping pong table as a dining table? Right now I can afford a nice dining table, but if I couldn't, well, I think that's kind of clever! :)

Carole C (a redneck in disguise?)

wendyn on 12/05/02 at 22:11 (101918)

Judy, didn't you drop your phone in the toilet?

My husband did that last year, but at least it was an already flushed toilet!

Necee on 12/06/02 at 00:42 (101923)

You did all the DO's and Don'ts at Thanksgiving......that's my guess.
Now the one about droping the phone in the toilet......I'd be getting another phone! There's just something about putting a phone next to my face and mouth after it's taken the plung like that.

Happy trails....

Necee

Suzanne D on 12/06/02 at 10:23 (101963)

My husband preaches at a small church out here in the country, and every other Sunday he also preaches at an even smaller church a few miles away(about 40 people - one room building) after our service here. That church is in another county and time zone, so he can make both. Once a year they have a homecoming dinner, and due to space, it is served outdoors. I have seen two wagon beds pulled up to the side yard of the church, full of various dishes for the pot-luck meal. You could travel miles and miles to find any better food! So, I guess what's on the table is more important than what the table is made of! :-)

I do enjoy the red-neck jokes, even if I can relate all too well to many of them!

And, oh yes, Judy, you don't have to worry about dropping a phone in the bathroom there as they have none! Your story made me think of one of my earliest memories. I had a set of bears which were my favorite toys. There was Mama and Papa bear and little baby bear. I took baby bear with me wherever I went, and - you guessed it - I dropped it in the toilet. Mama tried washing it, but he fell apart. Must have been a big disappointment to me as I remember it vividly!

Suzanne :-)

john h on 12/06/02 at 19:12 (102025)

The guy I work for has thrown two cell phones in the lake and one in the toilet. As you can see he is impatient and would you believe the phone company cancelled his cell phone insurance.

JudyS on 12/06/02 at 23:52 (102040)

Necee, I have no choice, the phone died. I wonder if it was from the water or from the.........well, never mind. :)