Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help I can not walk!

Posted by Francisco on 12/05/02 at 01:17 (101812)

I am writing to hopefully find someone who has some experience with my condition. One morning I woke up and I had bad pain on my heel near the Achilles. I walk and wondered what it was all about. Next day I could not walk. It has now been five days and I still can not put any weight on my foot, what can I do to make it better, any thoughts or help would be greatly appriciated.!

Re: Help I can not walk!

Lara T on 12/05/02 at 08:23 (101833)

I'm blanking on the name at the moment but if it's what I'm thinking of (hard to tell for sure over the internet) it has to do with stretching the achilles tendon too far and the cure is REST. The pain I felt with what I think is similar is very sharp.

Ellen J. on 12/07/02 at 08:19 (102056)

Hi Francisco,
Maybe you have Achilles Tendonitis? That is just a guess, if the pain is toward the back side of the heel rather than on the bottom of the heel. As Lara said, you would want to rest your foot alot and not do anything that stretches the achilles. That would mean no squatting down (it puts your foot at an extreme angle to the lower leg), no bicycling or activity where your foot flexes up and down. My guess is that you will be able to feel pain when you place your foot in the wrong position or engage in the wrong activity. I;ve read that improper bicycling technique can cause achilles problems too--such as when a person flexes the foot too much while pedaling. Maybe you can think about what activities (if any) you were engaged in just before the pain started. Hopefully a good doctor can help diagnose what is going on and tell you when it's safe to begin gently stretching once the pain subsides.
Hope you feel better soon!
Ellen

R C on 12/08/02 at 01:17 (102189)

I seem to think it might be Sever's disease.

Lara T on 12/05/02 at 08:23 (101833)

I'm blanking on the name at the moment but if it's what I'm thinking of (hard to tell for sure over the internet) it has to do with stretching the achilles tendon too far and the cure is REST. The pain I felt with what I think is similar is very sharp.

Ellen J. on 12/07/02 at 08:19 (102056)

Hi Francisco,
Maybe you have Achilles Tendonitis? That is just a guess, if the pain is toward the back side of the heel rather than on the bottom of the heel. As Lara said, you would want to rest your foot alot and not do anything that stretches the achilles. That would mean no squatting down (it puts your foot at an extreme angle to the lower leg), no bicycling or activity where your foot flexes up and down. My guess is that you will be able to feel pain when you place your foot in the wrong position or engage in the wrong activity. I;ve read that improper bicycling technique can cause achilles problems too--such as when a person flexes the foot too much while pedaling. Maybe you can think about what activities (if any) you were engaged in just before the pain started. Hopefully a good doctor can help diagnose what is going on and tell you when it's safe to begin gently stretching once the pain subsides.
Hope you feel better soon!
Ellen

R C on 12/08/02 at 01:17 (102189)

I seem to think it might be Sever's disease.