Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

chronic plantar fasciitis

Posted by Diane on 12/05/02 at 12:02 (101856)

I have been plaqued with this for over two years, I have been in a ski boot for 3 months, I have had the cortizone shots. My Dr. want's to move forward to do the Shock wave surgery. I have Tufts Insurance and I have been denied the procedure! I am in constant pain and can barely walk at times. I have tried acupuncture also! I'm in so much pain and can't understand why the Insurance Company would deny such a procedure!!!

any advice or recovery statistics, would be helpful in my fighting this with the Insurance Company!

Thank you,
Diane

Re: chronic plantar fasciitis

SteveG on 12/05/02 at 13:15 (101860)

Diane - depending on where you live you might be able to get it done in Canada for a lot less money than they charge here in the US. I live in Seattle, I and I am thinking of going to Vancover. Many people on this board go to the Bayshore clinics in Canada. If you click on the ESWT section of the board you will get a lot of information about it.

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/05/02 at 17:07 (101884)

Steve:
If you already have an indication of coverage from your insurer, you will pay less in the US. A contracted provider with an insurance plan must accept that level of coverage if the service is provided. That provider does have the right, though, to decline provideing the service. So far, Siemen's Soncocur machines are owned by Ballard orthopedics and myself in the Seattle area. Costs associated with Sonocur are much lower than with Ossatron so we believe that despite a very low reimbursement rate by Regence it may be enough to cover Sonocur costs. I will be making a decision by March 2003 to see whether that is the case but am accepting unlimited Regence patients till then. A number of patients in my practice have been provided very significant treatment prior to ESWT so I would still provide the service if I had to do so at a small loss. I could not extend that to new Regence patients who are coming in just for that service though (after March 2003) unless Regence has reconsidered its policy -- I will be in touch with them.
Ed

SteveG on 12/06/02 at 13:07 (101997)

Dr Davis - thanks for the note and for your willingness to take my insurance coverage. I have called your office and scheduled an appointment with you for the 18 - see you then

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/07/02 at 13:15 (102101)

Steve:
Looking forward to meeting you. If you have verification of coverage, it may be possible to provide an ESWT treatment on the first visit. The 2000 shocks provided by the Sonocur take less than 15 minutes per foot. That is the beauty of low energy, office based ESWT.
Ed

RUSSELL F on 12/12/02 at 21:18 (102858)

I AM A PHARMACIST, WHO USED TO WORK OUT AT A LOCAL SPA UNTIL I ENDED UP WITH PLANTAR FASCIITIS WHILE MISUSING A 'STEP MACHINE'. I WAS PLAGUED WITH IT FOR ONE AND A HALF MISERABLE YEARS SINCE I STAND ON MY FEET ALL DAY LONG! LISTEN CAREFULLY, BECAUSE THIS MAY SOUND ABSURD, BUT IT MAY BE YOUR WAY OUT OF YOUR PROBLEM.
A CHIROPRACTOR , WHO WAS A FRIEND OF A FRIEND, NOTICED ME LIMPING AND ASKED ME WHY. I TOLD HIM THAT I HAD PF. HE SAID, 'IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GET RID OF IT, GO OUT AND BUY A PAIR OF 'HIGH-HEELED' COWBOY BOOTS AND WEAR THEM FOR A WEEK AND A HALF AND IT WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM. WELL, AT THE TIME, I THOUGHT IT WAS RATHER FAR-FETCHED, BUT I WAS WILLING TO TRY ANYTHING AT THIS POINT. I BOUGHT THE BOOTS (HIGH-HEELED), WORE THEM FOR A WEEK AND A HALF AND I NO LONGER HAD PF. I PASSED ON THIS ADVICEE TO A FRIEND OF MINE, LOANED HIM THE BOOTS AND AFTER 1 1/2 WEEKS, HE WAS OVER HIS PF. IT WORKS---I KNOW HOW BADLY YOU ARE HURTING. 2 OUT OF 2 AIN'T BAD! (email removed)

SteveG on 12/05/02 at 13:15 (101860)

Diane - depending on where you live you might be able to get it done in Canada for a lot less money than they charge here in the US. I live in Seattle, I and I am thinking of going to Vancover. Many people on this board go to the Bayshore clinics in Canada. If you click on the ESWT section of the board you will get a lot of information about it.

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/05/02 at 17:07 (101884)

Steve:
If you already have an indication of coverage from your insurer, you will pay less in the US. A contracted provider with an insurance plan must accept that level of coverage if the service is provided. That provider does have the right, though, to decline provideing the service. So far, Siemen's Soncocur machines are owned by Ballard orthopedics and myself in the Seattle area. Costs associated with Sonocur are much lower than with Ossatron so we believe that despite a very low reimbursement rate by Regence it may be enough to cover Sonocur costs. I will be making a decision by March 2003 to see whether that is the case but am accepting unlimited Regence patients till then. A number of patients in my practice have been provided very significant treatment prior to ESWT so I would still provide the service if I had to do so at a small loss. I could not extend that to new Regence patients who are coming in just for that service though (after March 2003) unless Regence has reconsidered its policy -- I will be in touch with them.
Ed

SteveG on 12/06/02 at 13:07 (101997)

Dr Davis - thanks for the note and for your willingness to take my insurance coverage. I have called your office and scheduled an appointment with you for the 18 - see you then

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/07/02 at 13:15 (102101)

Steve:
Looking forward to meeting you. If you have verification of coverage, it may be possible to provide an ESWT treatment on the first visit. The 2000 shocks provided by the Sonocur take less than 15 minutes per foot. That is the beauty of low energy, office based ESWT.
Ed

RUSSELL F on 12/12/02 at 21:18 (102858)

I AM A PHARMACIST, WHO USED TO WORK OUT AT A LOCAL SPA UNTIL I ENDED UP WITH PLANTAR FASCIITIS WHILE MISUSING A 'STEP MACHINE'. I WAS PLAGUED WITH IT FOR ONE AND A HALF MISERABLE YEARS SINCE I STAND ON MY FEET ALL DAY LONG! LISTEN CAREFULLY, BECAUSE THIS MAY SOUND ABSURD, BUT IT MAY BE YOUR WAY OUT OF YOUR PROBLEM.
A CHIROPRACTOR , WHO WAS A FRIEND OF A FRIEND, NOTICED ME LIMPING AND ASKED ME WHY. I TOLD HIM THAT I HAD PF. HE SAID, 'IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GET RID OF IT, GO OUT AND BUY A PAIR OF 'HIGH-HEELED' COWBOY BOOTS AND WEAR THEM FOR A WEEK AND A HALF AND IT WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM. WELL, AT THE TIME, I THOUGHT IT WAS RATHER FAR-FETCHED, BUT I WAS WILLING TO TRY ANYTHING AT THIS POINT. I BOUGHT THE BOOTS (HIGH-HEELED), WORE THEM FOR A WEEK AND A HALF AND I NO LONGER HAD PF. I PASSED ON THIS ADVICEE TO A FRIEND OF MINE, LOANED HIM THE BOOTS AND AFTER 1 1/2 WEEKS, HE WAS OVER HIS PF. IT WORKS---I KNOW HOW BADLY YOU ARE HURTING. 2 OUT OF 2 AIN'T BAD! (email removed)