Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Correct foot position while sitting

Posted by Carl D. on 12/05/02 at 13:14 (101859)

Does anyone have any information on what the best position is for your feet while you are sitting? I sit all day at a computer, and I wonder if the way I position my feet could have contributed to TTS.

Thanks,
Carl

Re: Correct foot position while sitting

Julie on 12/05/02 at 16:09 (101873)

Yes. Normally, the best position for the feet is flat on the floor, hip width apart, directly under your knees. They shouldn't dangle, because they are needed for support of your upper body, and they shouldn't be tucked under your chair.

A tilted footrest that holds the feet in a gently dorsiflexed position is helpful for PF: I don't know what its effect would be on TTS.

Carl D. on 12/05/02 at 16:16 (101875)

Julie, Thanks for the response. I thought that what you suggest would be the case. I find it difficult to maintain that position, but hopefully as I try to be more aware of it, I'll be able to stay in that position longer.
I wonder, assuming that my TTS is caused by the posterial tibial nerve impingement, what angle between the foot and the lower leg is the least stressful to the nerve? This would be good to know for sleeping as well. Seems like some people with TTS get success with splints, compression socks, etc.

Julie on 12/06/02 at 02:10 (101927)

Carl, why do you find it difficult to maintain that position? Is it painful? And are other positions less painful? I really think that with a painful condition like TTS you just have to be aware of how you feel, and adjust whatever you do accordingly. In other words, listen to the messages you get from your body.

If some people with TTS have good results with night splints it suggests that a gently dorsiflexed position is a good position, in which case a tilted footrest might well be helpful. But they're your feet, and only they can tell you.

Does anyone with TTS have anything to suggest to Carl?

Carl D. on 12/06/02 at 08:54 (101953)

Julie, no it's not that it's painful, just uncomfortable sitting up straight in a good posture all day. I often find my feet crossed underneath my seat or flexed at the ankles in ways that make me wonder if I'm exaserbating the problem. I totally agree with your message, and have been trying to be more aware of what my body (particularly my feet) are telling me. Thanks for your thoughts.

Julie on 12/06/02 at 11:53 (101982)

That's a very common problem, about which there is much to say. Yes, it's hard to sit upright - and that's mainly thanks to underused back muscles which is due to too much sitting. Try getting your hips a little higher than your knees - use a tilting chair, or sit on a rolled up towel. And examine the relationship between your hands and your keyboard and your eyes and your screen. There's a lot to it. Awareness of what you're doing and how you're doing it will help you sort it out.

wendyn on 12/06/02 at 12:15 (101986)

Carl - you may want to try sitting on one of those big 'fit' balls. There is NO way to sit on them with poor posture.

You will just fall off the ball. (Which could be wildly amusing for your friends and family).

I have one at home that I use when I'm not feeling too lazy. I really need to get one for work as well.

Julie on 12/07/02 at 09:49 (102063)

Wendy, that's a great idea. You've inspired me and I want to get one. What size ball do you have? I think we're about the same height - 5'2'. The one I use at the gym is 65cm, which is supposed to be for people 5'8' and over, but it feels fine and I'm afraid the 55cm might seat me too low for my keyboard. What do you think.

Carl, have a look at http://www.fitball.com for a good explanation of how to use the ball for sitting at your computer. I really think it's worth a try.

wendyn on 12/07/02 at 12:38 (102091)

Julie - I'm not sure. One was hubby's, and one was a ball my teenager bought me for ab workouts. The big one is 65, the small one is a lot smaller (no measurements listed on it). I would think that ideally I would have one in between for sitting on.

I think that the 65 is one size too big for me.

Julie on 12/07/02 at 14:57 (102110)

Thanks Wendy. I don't think there's a size between 65 and 55cm, so if I get one I'll go for the 65.

(Maybe I'll grow to 5'8'?)

On the other hand, I've just - since writing that - measured my seat height, and it seems to be about 55cm.

I think I'll postpone the decision till tomorrow.

Carl D. on 12/09/02 at 09:58 (102338)

Wendy, Thanks for the suggestion on the fit ball. However, I'm 6'3' tall and don't think they make one big enough to put me at the proper height. Not sure that if they did, I would be prepared for taking one to work :).

Julie on 12/09/02 at 16:46 (102395)

Yes they do, Carl. The 65cm one is supposed to be for people 5'8' to 6'3' (I think - it may be 6'1') and there is a 75cm one for people up to 6'8'.

Julie on 12/05/02 at 16:09 (101873)

Yes. Normally, the best position for the feet is flat on the floor, hip width apart, directly under your knees. They shouldn't dangle, because they are needed for support of your upper body, and they shouldn't be tucked under your chair.

A tilted footrest that holds the feet in a gently dorsiflexed position is helpful for PF: I don't know what its effect would be on TTS.

Carl D. on 12/05/02 at 16:16 (101875)

Julie, Thanks for the response. I thought that what you suggest would be the case. I find it difficult to maintain that position, but hopefully as I try to be more aware of it, I'll be able to stay in that position longer.
I wonder, assuming that my TTS is caused by the posterial tibial nerve impingement, what angle between the foot and the lower leg is the least stressful to the nerve? This would be good to know for sleeping as well. Seems like some people with TTS get success with splints, compression socks, etc.

Julie on 12/06/02 at 02:10 (101927)

Carl, why do you find it difficult to maintain that position? Is it painful? And are other positions less painful? I really think that with a painful condition like TTS you just have to be aware of how you feel, and adjust whatever you do accordingly. In other words, listen to the messages you get from your body.

If some people with TTS have good results with night splints it suggests that a gently dorsiflexed position is a good position, in which case a tilted footrest might well be helpful. But they're your feet, and only they can tell you.

Does anyone with TTS have anything to suggest to Carl?

Carl D. on 12/06/02 at 08:54 (101953)

Julie, no it's not that it's painful, just uncomfortable sitting up straight in a good posture all day. I often find my feet crossed underneath my seat or flexed at the ankles in ways that make me wonder if I'm exaserbating the problem. I totally agree with your message, and have been trying to be more aware of what my body (particularly my feet) are telling me. Thanks for your thoughts.

Julie on 12/06/02 at 11:53 (101982)

That's a very common problem, about which there is much to say. Yes, it's hard to sit upright - and that's mainly thanks to underused back muscles which is due to too much sitting. Try getting your hips a little higher than your knees - use a tilting chair, or sit on a rolled up towel. And examine the relationship between your hands and your keyboard and your eyes and your screen. There's a lot to it. Awareness of what you're doing and how you're doing it will help you sort it out.

wendyn on 12/06/02 at 12:15 (101986)

Carl - you may want to try sitting on one of those big 'fit' balls. There is NO way to sit on them with poor posture.

You will just fall off the ball. (Which could be wildly amusing for your friends and family).

I have one at home that I use when I'm not feeling too lazy. I really need to get one for work as well.

Julie on 12/07/02 at 09:49 (102063)

Wendy, that's a great idea. You've inspired me and I want to get one. What size ball do you have? I think we're about the same height - 5'2'. The one I use at the gym is 65cm, which is supposed to be for people 5'8' and over, but it feels fine and I'm afraid the 55cm might seat me too low for my keyboard. What do you think.

Carl, have a look at http://www.fitball.com for a good explanation of how to use the ball for sitting at your computer. I really think it's worth a try.

wendyn on 12/07/02 at 12:38 (102091)

Julie - I'm not sure. One was hubby's, and one was a ball my teenager bought me for ab workouts. The big one is 65, the small one is a lot smaller (no measurements listed on it). I would think that ideally I would have one in between for sitting on.

I think that the 65 is one size too big for me.

Julie on 12/07/02 at 14:57 (102110)

Thanks Wendy. I don't think there's a size between 65 and 55cm, so if I get one I'll go for the 65.

(Maybe I'll grow to 5'8'?)

On the other hand, I've just - since writing that - measured my seat height, and it seems to be about 55cm.

I think I'll postpone the decision till tomorrow.

Carl D. on 12/09/02 at 09:58 (102338)

Wendy, Thanks for the suggestion on the fit ball. However, I'm 6'3' tall and don't think they make one big enough to put me at the proper height. Not sure that if they did, I would be prepared for taking one to work :).

Julie on 12/09/02 at 16:46 (102395)

Yes they do, Carl. The 65cm one is supposed to be for people 5'8' to 6'3' (I think - it may be 6'1') and there is a 75cm one for people up to 6'8'.