Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

had eswt on tuesday

Posted by chris d on 12/06/02 at 20:51 (102036)

Hi all,
I went through 2 appeals to my health insurance providers last spring (which I did because of this message board and receiving encouragment to do so--thanks!) , and lo and behold they approved my treatment for ESWT. I had to wait until now for the treatment. There was a big delay with healthpartners and the company with the machine to come to agreement. I do not know the details of that. So I had my treatment, and have been looking for info on the board for what to expect afterward. I am surprised at how little pain I have had. Maybe a little worse than at the end of a bad day of pf pain. I have not walked very much at all yet because I am trying to give the healing the best chance i can give it. I am fortunate in that I have tons of sick leave, so I can be off work for 3 weeks. If anyone has insight or tips on the aftercare, it would be much appreciated.
Chris d

Re: had eswt on tuesday

Mar on 12/07/02 at 07:03 (102050)

Chris -- What health insurance do you have? Mar

chris d on 12/07/02 at 08:19 (102057)

I am with HealthPartners in Minnesota. I was so happy when it was approved. There are 2 doctors in their system who received the training to do ESWT. Then it was the negotiations with the company that owns the machine that seemed to take the most time.

Re: Plantar fasciitis in both feet

melissa on 12/14/02 at 23:05 (103155)

Hello. I've had plantars f.in my left and right foot. It started in my left and now has transferred to my right foot. I am a total mess. I have had this for two years, and did have cortizone shots, although they did not work very well. I have been patient thinking it would go away, but it hasn't. It gets worse every day.

I am scared of this surgery, I guess because my Doctor is pretty new to doing them. How long will I have to be off my feet? Should I have it in one foot, and then wait and have it in the other?

I'm at the point now, where my knees and back are affected. I am 34 years old and look like I'm 100 years old, when I get up to walk across the floor. Is there anything else I can do to avoid surgery.

I just tried some orthotics by good feet. I find them very hard to wear, and I think I have just wasted my money.

Thank in advance for any advice you have to give.

Sincerely,

Melissa E.

Sharon F. on 12/16/02 at 05:49 (103258)

You didn't mention stretching as a part of trying to lick this stubborn condition. Most pf patients will tell you stretching is vital, and most people get over this condition in 6 or so months with conservative treatment. I've had it in both feet and have done many of the things you mentioned: shots, lots of stretching, icing, also custom orthotics and 'night splinting'. Are you seeing a podiatrist. ESWT is a new treatment option which you can read about on heelspur.com, and ofcourse, surgery. Sharon F.

Mar on 12/07/02 at 07:03 (102050)

Chris -- What health insurance do you have? Mar

chris d on 12/07/02 at 08:19 (102057)

I am with HealthPartners in Minnesota. I was so happy when it was approved. There are 2 doctors in their system who received the training to do ESWT. Then it was the negotiations with the company that owns the machine that seemed to take the most time.

melissa on 12/14/02 at 23:05 (103155)

Hello. I've had plantars f.in my left and right foot. It started in my left and now has transferred to my right foot. I am a total mess. I have had this for two years, and did have cortizone shots, although they did not work very well. I have been patient thinking it would go away, but it hasn't. It gets worse every day.

I am scared of this surgery, I guess because my Doctor is pretty new to doing them. How long will I have to be off my feet? Should I have it in one foot, and then wait and have it in the other?

I'm at the point now, where my knees and back are affected. I am 34 years old and look like I'm 100 years old, when I get up to walk across the floor. Is there anything else I can do to avoid surgery.

I just tried some orthotics by good feet. I find them very hard to wear, and I think I have just wasted my money.

Thank in advance for any advice you have to give.

Sincerely,

Melissa E.

Sharon F. on 12/16/02 at 05:49 (103258)

You didn't mention stretching as a part of trying to lick this stubborn condition. Most pf patients will tell you stretching is vital, and most people get over this condition in 6 or so months with conservative treatment. I've had it in both feet and have done many of the things you mentioned: shots, lots of stretching, icing, also custom orthotics and 'night splinting'. Are you seeing a podiatrist. ESWT is a new treatment option which you can read about on heelspur.com, and ofcourse, surgery. Sharon F.