Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New question/old subject? DMSO & neuromas

Posted by Sheila S on 12/07/02 at 07:10 (102051)

(Yes, I've read possible harmful aspects....before anyone screams.)

I was glancing through Scott's book and ran across DMSO, which I'd totally forgotten about (I have horses, so was aware of the chemical but have never used it - an elderly horse-friend uses it periodically for her own arthritis). So I've done a couple hours worth of study this morning.

What do you think of DMSO to help treat neuroma swelling/pain? I'm seeing it's got anti-inflammatory abilities and pain killing properties. It helps with tendonitis, and ligament problems. On horses, it's even used for bone injuries. So, if a person has a remaining neuroma 'lobe' that got left under/beside the met head, and it's close enough to the surface of the fat pad that it can be felt... do you think it's possible DMSO, topically applied, could have any beneficial, long-term affects??

And, what affects might it have on previous sclerosing chemical? I've read the action of sclerosing can continue for 3 or 4 months (I don't know if that means the alcohol remains in the tissues that long or not). Might DMSO be good to help speed this, or might it cause problems?

(I know, consult with your physician before trying anything at home, blah blah blah)

General thoughts based on the general description, no specific advice is requested. =)

Sheila S.

Re: New question/old subject? DMSO & neuromas

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/07/02 at 19:31 (102153)

Sheila:
The alcohol itself does not remain in the tissue for several months, the effects of the alcohol are what persists. I would not expect DMSO to have any interaction with the alcohol. I tend to doubt DMSO would have any beneficial ong term effects but it could ease the pain temporarily.
Ed

Re: New question/old subject? DMSO & neuromas

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/07/02 at 19:31 (102153)

Sheila:
The alcohol itself does not remain in the tissue for several months, the effects of the alcohol are what persists. I would not expect DMSO to have any interaction with the alcohol. I tend to doubt DMSO would have any beneficial ong term effects but it could ease the pain temporarily.
Ed