Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar faciitis??

Posted by claire d on 12/07/02 at 12:19 (102085)

I am third year podiatry student and have been asked by a family member about pain they get while running. The pain is described as a burning pain under the right medial calcaneum, and they can isolate an exact pain point which is very tender. It is ok during the first bout of jogging but then causes limping. Stretching seems to help. I thought this may be plantar faciitis but would appreciate a second oppinion. Thank you.

Re: plantar faciitis??

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/07/02 at 13:16 (102103)

Claire:

Sounds like it could be PF. It would help if you could palpate the fascia.
Ed

Nancy H. on 12/08/02 at 09:20 (102208)

I have been diagnoised with Plantar Faciitis. I want to know if thyroid condition can cause this problem and if so, how? I also have developed tendinitis in my wrist and jaw so there seems to be a connection with inflammation somewhere and I want to know if this has any relation to it. I am now being treated for my thyroid.

AmyM on 12/08/02 at 09:42 (102212)

Hi Nancy

I'm not a doctor, but carpal tunnel syndrome (in the wrist) does occur with thyroid problems. If you have an underactive thyroid your body slows down and its harder to shift fluid, so there is generally more swelling, this sort of swelling can put pressure on nerves and you can develop carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm not sure if there is a link with pf.

RUSSELL F on 12/12/02 at 21:24 (102859)

HOW TO CURE YOUR PLANTAR FASCIITIS!!!!!!!!!

BUY A 'HIGH-HEELED' PAIR OF COWBOY BOOTS AND WEAR THEM FOR 1 1/2 WEEKS AND YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED. WORKED FOR ME AND A FRIEND. I KNOW IT SOUNDS RIDICULOUS BUT IT WORKS. (email removed)

sheila on 12/13/02 at 04:45 (102877)

It is best for your family member to see a podiatrist or an orthopedist that has completed a foot and ankle fellowship after residency.

hth

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/07/02 at 13:16 (102103)

Claire:

Sounds like it could be PF. It would help if you could palpate the fascia.
Ed

Nancy H. on 12/08/02 at 09:20 (102208)

I have been diagnoised with Plantar Faciitis. I want to know if thyroid condition can cause this problem and if so, how? I also have developed tendinitis in my wrist and jaw so there seems to be a connection with inflammation somewhere and I want to know if this has any relation to it. I am now being treated for my thyroid.

AmyM on 12/08/02 at 09:42 (102212)

Hi Nancy

I'm not a doctor, but carpal tunnel syndrome (in the wrist) does occur with thyroid problems. If you have an underactive thyroid your body slows down and its harder to shift fluid, so there is generally more swelling, this sort of swelling can put pressure on nerves and you can develop carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm not sure if there is a link with pf.

RUSSELL F on 12/12/02 at 21:24 (102859)

HOW TO CURE YOUR PLANTAR FASCIITIS!!!!!!!!!

BUY A 'HIGH-HEELED' PAIR OF COWBOY BOOTS AND WEAR THEM FOR 1 1/2 WEEKS AND YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED. WORKED FOR ME AND A FRIEND. I KNOW IT SOUNDS RIDICULOUS BUT IT WORKS. (email removed)

sheila on 12/13/02 at 04:45 (102877)

It is best for your family member to see a podiatrist or an orthopedist that has completed a foot and ankle fellowship after residency.

hth