Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Snowflakes

Posted by Julie on 12/07/02 at 12:21 (102086)

Nancy, and everyone. Just look at this!

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/

History, technical info, and gorgeous pictures.

Re: Snowflakes

nancy s. on 12/07/02 at 17:49 (102131)

geez, carole, i think we're the same age, but FOUR decades ago? wouldn't you have been about 13? i wasn't reading Scientific American then; i think i'd just graduated to American Girl and my mother was considering letting me get a bra sometime in the next 15 years. but maybe you were reading the sci mags, given your ultimately chosen profession!

remember, i was a freshman in college, folks, and it was 1968. no internet, not even an electric typewriter (for poor students, which included everyone), not to mention many national and world distractions.

i suddenly suspected there must be plenty on the internet about snowflakes now, as i was writing the post. i'm just catching up here tonight, have enjoyed all your posts (and gee i miss one from elliott) about this; and julie, i'll be checking out the site you found momentarily. thank you; at last i get the full story! at the time i knew no two snowflakes are alike -- and that's all i knew, and all anyone else knew. and my college wasn't dumb. the age of information hadn't yet arrived -- sob, yay, sob, yay. (i'm not ambivalent.)

julie, i believe you did repeat yourself about the lack of unmelted snow on the ground in london where you live. but tell us again tomorrow, ok? my memory is REALLY short these days. we have three inches on the ground, did you know?

nancy

Sheila S on 12/07/02 at 18:39 (102139)

That was too neat! (or wayyyy cool!) ...hate it when I date myself so badly. LOL Thanks for sharing!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 20:03 (102156)

Well you caught me; I was a geek back when that was embarrassing rather than cool. Four decades ago, I was 14 and reading Scientific American from cover to cover, just about every issue, which is a lot more regularly than I have read it in the past decade. It's great reading matter for high schoolers because it is more general interest than the more specialized journals. I used to enjoy the math problems and brain teasers too.

I think it's neat that you wanted to do a paper on snowflakes. It was a LOT harder to find information before the internet. I remember in 8th grade my American history teacher assigned each of us a term paper on a different American President. The 'popular girls' got presidents like Jefferson, Lincoln, or Roosevelt. Unfortunately as the class geek I was assigned Martin Van Buren. I had a hard time finding information on him in the school library, but finally got it written. I got an A because it was so hard to find information. Thank goodness for understanding teachers.

Carole C

john h on 12/07/02 at 20:45 (102163)

I was still readng superman comic books Carole but I could build a mean model aircraft with balsa wood. It would also fly.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 22:32 (102178)

I loved those balsa model planes! The only ones I had were the cheap pre-builts that were given to me, though, and no way to get even cheap balsa to build one at that time. I did have fun modifying the pre-builts, though, and found that with a little experimentation I could get them to glide further and/or be a little more stable.

I was pretty good with paper planes too, which can be a lot more challenging than you might think if you take them seriously and weight the nose down a little with a paper clip as needed.

Carole C

Julie on 12/08/02 at 02:47 (102193)

Nancy, have I ever mentioned that we hardly ever get snow in London. And that when we do, it rarely lies, but turns to slugh (I meant to type slush, but that'll do) within hours, sometimes minutes?

I think I may have.

I'm SO glad you have three inches on the ground. When did that happen? Why didn't you tell us sooner?

Glad you like my snowflake site. While I've been sleeping you've probably found and researched 73,984,295.987 even better ones. Hurray for the information age!

john h on 12/09/02 at 08:53 (102332)

Carole you are to much! Sailing the balsa wood airplanes! How many girls have done that? Do you ever remember seeing the little ones mad of aluminum that would fly?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/09/02 at 14:14 (102376)

I thought all little girls did that! (grin)

I had two big brothers, so that is how I got into that (even though it wasn't considered too girlish in those days). I would swipe my brother's airplanes and usually wreck them, and that caused such bad fights that my parents started buying three instead of two for the three of us.

No! I don't remember the little aluminum ones at all.

Carole C

Re: balsa airplanes

Suzanne D on 12/09/02 at 21:28 (102451)

One time I got one of those little balsa airplanes, and I could never make it fly! It looked so easy when the boys next door sailed them into the air. I thought it would be fun; but I had no luck - only crashes! I never could make a paper airplane that would fly, either. I guess I was never destined to become a pilot or oceanographer or anything adventurous like that. Of course, teaching can be an adventure at that.

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/09/02 at 21:56 (102454)

Suzanne, I'm glad to see you posting. I noticed that you had not. I guess that like me, you try not to post in the more contentious threads too much. I think that's neat that you used to try to fly those balsa planes too.

Since everybody has 'gone nuts' on the social board I decided to Make a Statement. Here it is: I have just one more thing to say about moon pies, and that is that I haven't had one in probably forty years. After considerable serious and exceedingly intellectual thought, I decided that I should have one more sometime in the next fifty years and that it shall be Chocolate, and that I will try to find an Orange Crush in a bottle to have with it. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/09/02 at 22:02 (102459)

Good idea, Carole! May I join you?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/09/02 at 22:28 (102464)

That would be fun! :)

Carole C

Re: The moon pie

wendyn on 12/09/02 at 22:37 (102467)

I really didn't participate in the moon pie discussion, since I was too busy and I don't know what they are.

After all this - would any one care to enlighten me?

(This is also the place where I learned about grits and chicken fried steak....which both sound really GROSS)

Suzanne D on 12/09/02 at 22:39 (102468)

Then maybe you could teach me to fly one of those balsa airplanes! :-) Or better yet, we could just have a nice talk under the shade of a tree as we sip our Orange Crush drinks and enjoy our moon pies. Somehow, air conditioning doesn't seem to be a part of the scene.

Speaking of food, you mentioned in a post recently about distracting your daughter when some news was being broadcast by wondering aloud if you heard the ice cream truck. That brought back memories. When I was a little girl, there was the 'Jolly Roger' ice cream truck which came through town. I remember the sound of the bell. No ice cream has ever tasted so good as what we got from that truck from time to time.

Suzanne D on 12/09/02 at 22:48 (102470)

Here's a site for you, Wendy. Then click on the snacks/cookies section for a picture and brief description.

http://www.southernconnoisseur.com/snacks.html

Necee on 12/09/02 at 22:58 (102471)

Hey Wendy, our friend Nancy S. can tell you all about moon pies.
Happy Trails...

Necee

carynz on 12/09/02 at 23:14 (102476)

in checking out the website provided the moon pie looks just like a wagon wheel to me! I've asked before what the heck is a moon pie and I had a totally different vision in my head of what it is. Oh well, moon pie or wagon wheel what't the diff.

cheers Caryn

Re: ice cream man

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 07:37 (102507)

I liked the ice cream truck too when I was little. I don't remember the name of it, but I remember asking my mother for money for it. She usually didn't give me any because she didn't want me to get too roly-poly at that age. I was the same with my daughter, but she still liked to watch the truck and sometimes I'd let her buy something from it.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 07:40 (102508)

Oh, they are not gross!

Chicken fried steak is 'to die for'... it's so good. It's very fattening, I think.

On the other hand, I have to be in the mood for grits. I have a tendency to think of them as 'just grits' and kind of disappointing.

Carole C

john h on 12/10/02 at 10:59 (102553)

Suzanne:You have made my day with that web site. A case of moon pies for $12.95 and R.C. Colas. How on earth did you find that site. yummmmmmmmmy Sorry I cannot help myself folks as I promised only ot discuss more profound subjects.

john h on 12/10/02 at 11:17 (102558)

Carole: We had the little three wheeled bikes with the freezer on the back that had a bell they rang as they traveled around. I hate to use this word but I think we called him the 'Eskimo Pie' man. Wendy can relate at least to part of that.

pala on 12/10/02 at 11:40 (102561)

i hate to be petty but the correct pronunciation in moon pah.

Pauline on 12/10/02 at 12:27 (102565)

John,
Had you been in the Senate you could be in trouble. We'll see how folk here react. You could be asked to write sentences. I doubt you'll lose your position as minority leader:*)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 12:43 (102571)

That's what we had too, John, when I was a kid, now that I think about it. But by the time my daughter came around they had ice cream trucks and I had forgotten about the three wheeled bike. I remember now. But truck or ice cream bike, both seemed very fancy and unattainable to a five year old kid. The ice cream man seemed very important and probably famous! LOL

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 12:49 (102572)

Shame on you! As the Worthiness Police, I must reprimand you for not including the entire nutritional break-down of Moon Pies and R.C. Colas. For extra credit you could have told us how to say 'Moon Pie' in 47 different languages, or you at least could have included a statistical analysis of the cumulative effect of moon pies in preventing PF, over one's lifetime. But did you? (sigh) It's hopeless. :)

You should be like pala. She gets an A+ and a big gold star to wear on her green robes, because she knows how to properly pronounce 'Moon Pah's. :)

Carole C

pala on 12/10/02 at 13:11 (102574)

thank you. i feel i am finally getting the respect i have convinced myself i deserve, while standing on my head in green robes and headundies which makes a fine cushion for said head. om manee moonpah hum.

Re: ROFL!!! (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 13:24 (102575)

Re: Skivvyheads

Sheila S on 12/10/02 at 13:32 (102576)

I heard that in a movie somewhere, didn't I? Moon pah oom pah loompity loom...

If I remember right, the next verse may have been sumpin like....
moon pah oom pah destined for doom.....

(you go pala! I know it's comin'....my eyes are squinched whilst I await your next email...)

pala on 12/10/02 at 17:14 (102599)

way to go sheila. i declare you a first degree moonpah.

pala on 12/10/02 at 17:23 (102602)

i lost the thread. way to go as well. i declare you a green belt in my clique. now with the underwear on head you must waddle saying quacque. quacque. quacque. the rest of us are doing this as well. honest. i would not trique you.

Julie on 12/10/02 at 17:39 (102606)

We had the Good Humor Man (on a three-wheeled cart) and the Bungalow Bar (in a big truck with a house-y roof on top). I liked Bungalow Bar better and used to wait for his arrival at 4pm every day at the corner of Claremont Park. Ah, those were the days...

Suzanne D on 12/10/02 at 21:38 (102646)

Sheila, the words and the rhythm remind me of something from 'Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'. Remember that movie?

Now that might start a thread on some other tasty, fattening treats!

By the way, I might be able to get into the clique as I on occasion have to get clean underwear for my first graders when they have accidents ~ and not just on Tuesdays. :-)

Suzanne D on 12/10/02 at 21:40 (102647)

Glad you liked the site, John! Actually, when Wendy asked about what moon pies really were, I thought that I wished she could see a picture of one. So I typed in 'moon pie' on 'search the web' on MSN which returned several hits. That was the second one I checked out, and I thought it might be worth looking at.

pala on 12/10/02 at 22:21 (102651)

consider yourself in suzanne. i'm a big fan of kind people.

wendyn on 12/10/02 at 22:29 (102653)

Okay - so the moon pie is the chocolate sandwich thing? Are they the size of a cookie?

They do look like wagon wheels.

I hate wagon wheels.

Probably hate moon pies too.

wendyn on 12/10/02 at 22:30 (102654)

Ooompa Loompas are the little midgets in Charlie and the Chocolate factory - and they do sing an Ooompa Loompa song. (Favorite book from grade 2)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 22:40 (102657)

I think the main attraction of moon pies is nostalgic. They were part of growing up in the midwest and southern US at one time. Also, they tasted wonderful as a child but that might not equate to tasting good to an adult. They are probably really sugary and contain every artifical substance known to man.

I haven't had one since I was a kid, but at that time they seemed infinitely large. Time essentially stopped when I was eating a moon pie. So, I think they are probably larger than a cookie.

Carole C

pala on 12/10/02 at 23:19 (102658)

time actually does stop when eating a moon pie. it is not a coincindence that it is curved, much lie space-time. it only stands to reason, then, that moon pies alter counsciousness and allow us a glimpse of satori, which is, of course, timeless.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 23:40 (102659)

In that case, I think we can definitely conclude that they are larger than a cookie.

Carole C

pala on 12/10/02 at 23:54 (102660)

lol

pala on 12/11/02 at 09:21 (102694)

i think the southerners and texans can stop pulling people's legs about moon pies now. you eat them!. that's a good one. did someone here actually send someone one to eat? that was kind of cruel. what you do with the cosmic space-time defying moon pie is you pray for a probability wave to collapse in your favor and then place the moon pie on your head to be sure the probability wave does not careen into you as it collapses. sorry to end your sadistic fun but this has just gone on too long.

john h on 12/11/02 at 10:08 (102704)

Julie: thank you for remembering it was 'the good humor man' on those three wheelers from my childhood. I have been racking my brain all week.

pala on 12/11/02 at 10:17 (102708)

in my neighborhood there was the good humor man and his lesser competition bungalow bar.

Julie on 12/11/02 at 11:26 (102719)

My pleasure, John. They were yellow 3-wheel carts, and the Man himself wore a white peaked cap.

Re: The moon pie -- and the georgia cows (which will probably mean georgia cow pies)

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 16:03 (102741)

paula, necee sent me two moon pies, which i ate. i hope i did the right thing.

now, i read in the paper today that cows are loose on the highways of georgia. have you read about this? more important, have you seen these cows? the floorboards of a truck carrying a large number of cows apparently broke, sending five cows shooting down onto the highway.

the police called off the search after five hours, the article said. it ended, 'the cows were last seen heading for atlanta.'

nancy

Re: The moon pie -- and the georgia cows (which will probably mean georgia cow pies)

pala on 12/11/02 at 17:04 (102749)

we are the cows. we have taken over paula's house in atlanta. we are after cosmic moon pies. we have been trying to trade paula for a moon pie but everyone says she is really wierd and no one undertsands one thing she ever says or types. it must be a relief to all of you here to finally get a sane posting. signed: cows for moon pies. p.s. the cmp will contact you again. power to the bovines.

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 18:24 (102764)

ok then, cows, please contact the police in covington, georgia. they need help in the art of cow-catching.

here are the most relevant parts of the article in today's paper:

Police Lt. Philip Bradford said it's the oddest call he's been on in his 17-year career.

Four cows remain on the run after escaping Sunday from a stalled tractor-trailer on Interstate 20. Bradford said the cows broke free when the floor board of a trailer carrying 59 cows snapped.

'I must have missed the day they taught how to catch loose cows in police academy,' Bradford said. . . .

The cows jumped through an opening in a guardrail onto a grassy embankment. Police called off the search after nearly five hours.

Johnny Jarel, the driver of the tractor-trailer, was charged for operating a 'junky' vehicle, police said.

The cows were last seen headed for Atlanta.

nancy s. on 12/23/02 at 23:38 (103881)

two weeks later i remember to look more thoroughly at this snowflake site posted by julie!

anyone who would enjoy a close-up look at the no-two-alike breathtakingly beautiful snowflake, here is your chance.

i'm speechless.

nancy

nancy s. on 12/07/02 at 17:49 (102131)

geez, carole, i think we're the same age, but FOUR decades ago? wouldn't you have been about 13? i wasn't reading Scientific American then; i think i'd just graduated to American Girl and my mother was considering letting me get a bra sometime in the next 15 years. but maybe you were reading the sci mags, given your ultimately chosen profession!

remember, i was a freshman in college, folks, and it was 1968. no internet, not even an electric typewriter (for poor students, which included everyone), not to mention many national and world distractions.

i suddenly suspected there must be plenty on the internet about snowflakes now, as i was writing the post. i'm just catching up here tonight, have enjoyed all your posts (and gee i miss one from elliott) about this; and julie, i'll be checking out the site you found momentarily. thank you; at last i get the full story! at the time i knew no two snowflakes are alike -- and that's all i knew, and all anyone else knew. and my college wasn't dumb. the age of information hadn't yet arrived -- sob, yay, sob, yay. (i'm not ambivalent.)

julie, i believe you did repeat yourself about the lack of unmelted snow on the ground in london where you live. but tell us again tomorrow, ok? my memory is REALLY short these days. we have three inches on the ground, did you know?

nancy

Sheila S on 12/07/02 at 18:39 (102139)

That was too neat! (or wayyyy cool!) ...hate it when I date myself so badly. LOL Thanks for sharing!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 20:03 (102156)

Well you caught me; I was a geek back when that was embarrassing rather than cool. Four decades ago, I was 14 and reading Scientific American from cover to cover, just about every issue, which is a lot more regularly than I have read it in the past decade. It's great reading matter for high schoolers because it is more general interest than the more specialized journals. I used to enjoy the math problems and brain teasers too.

I think it's neat that you wanted to do a paper on snowflakes. It was a LOT harder to find information before the internet. I remember in 8th grade my American history teacher assigned each of us a term paper on a different American President. The 'popular girls' got presidents like Jefferson, Lincoln, or Roosevelt. Unfortunately as the class geek I was assigned Martin Van Buren. I had a hard time finding information on him in the school library, but finally got it written. I got an A because it was so hard to find information. Thank goodness for understanding teachers.

Carole C

john h on 12/07/02 at 20:45 (102163)

I was still readng superman comic books Carole but I could build a mean model aircraft with balsa wood. It would also fly.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 22:32 (102178)

I loved those balsa model planes! The only ones I had were the cheap pre-builts that were given to me, though, and no way to get even cheap balsa to build one at that time. I did have fun modifying the pre-builts, though, and found that with a little experimentation I could get them to glide further and/or be a little more stable.

I was pretty good with paper planes too, which can be a lot more challenging than you might think if you take them seriously and weight the nose down a little with a paper clip as needed.

Carole C

Julie on 12/08/02 at 02:47 (102193)

Nancy, have I ever mentioned that we hardly ever get snow in London. And that when we do, it rarely lies, but turns to slugh (I meant to type slush, but that'll do) within hours, sometimes minutes?

I think I may have.

I'm SO glad you have three inches on the ground. When did that happen? Why didn't you tell us sooner?

Glad you like my snowflake site. While I've been sleeping you've probably found and researched 73,984,295.987 even better ones. Hurray for the information age!

john h on 12/09/02 at 08:53 (102332)

Carole you are to much! Sailing the balsa wood airplanes! How many girls have done that? Do you ever remember seeing the little ones mad of aluminum that would fly?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/09/02 at 14:14 (102376)

I thought all little girls did that! (grin)

I had two big brothers, so that is how I got into that (even though it wasn't considered too girlish in those days). I would swipe my brother's airplanes and usually wreck them, and that caused such bad fights that my parents started buying three instead of two for the three of us.

No! I don't remember the little aluminum ones at all.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/09/02 at 21:28 (102451)

One time I got one of those little balsa airplanes, and I could never make it fly! It looked so easy when the boys next door sailed them into the air. I thought it would be fun; but I had no luck - only crashes! I never could make a paper airplane that would fly, either. I guess I was never destined to become a pilot or oceanographer or anything adventurous like that. Of course, teaching can be an adventure at that.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/09/02 at 21:56 (102454)

Suzanne, I'm glad to see you posting. I noticed that you had not. I guess that like me, you try not to post in the more contentious threads too much. I think that's neat that you used to try to fly those balsa planes too.

Since everybody has 'gone nuts' on the social board I decided to Make a Statement. Here it is: I have just one more thing to say about moon pies, and that is that I haven't had one in probably forty years. After considerable serious and exceedingly intellectual thought, I decided that I should have one more sometime in the next fifty years and that it shall be Chocolate, and that I will try to find an Orange Crush in a bottle to have with it. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/09/02 at 22:02 (102459)

Good idea, Carole! May I join you?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/09/02 at 22:28 (102464)

That would be fun! :)

Carole C

wendyn on 12/09/02 at 22:37 (102467)

I really didn't participate in the moon pie discussion, since I was too busy and I don't know what they are.

After all this - would any one care to enlighten me?

(This is also the place where I learned about grits and chicken fried steak....which both sound really GROSS)

Suzanne D on 12/09/02 at 22:39 (102468)

Then maybe you could teach me to fly one of those balsa airplanes! :-) Or better yet, we could just have a nice talk under the shade of a tree as we sip our Orange Crush drinks and enjoy our moon pies. Somehow, air conditioning doesn't seem to be a part of the scene.

Speaking of food, you mentioned in a post recently about distracting your daughter when some news was being broadcast by wondering aloud if you heard the ice cream truck. That brought back memories. When I was a little girl, there was the 'Jolly Roger' ice cream truck which came through town. I remember the sound of the bell. No ice cream has ever tasted so good as what we got from that truck from time to time.

Suzanne D on 12/09/02 at 22:48 (102470)

Here's a site for you, Wendy. Then click on the snacks/cookies section for a picture and brief description.

http://www.southernconnoisseur.com/snacks.html

Necee on 12/09/02 at 22:58 (102471)

Hey Wendy, our friend Nancy S. can tell you all about moon pies.
Happy Trails...

Necee

carynz on 12/09/02 at 23:14 (102476)

in checking out the website provided the moon pie looks just like a wagon wheel to me! I've asked before what the heck is a moon pie and I had a totally different vision in my head of what it is. Oh well, moon pie or wagon wheel what't the diff.

cheers Caryn

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 07:37 (102507)

I liked the ice cream truck too when I was little. I don't remember the name of it, but I remember asking my mother for money for it. She usually didn't give me any because she didn't want me to get too roly-poly at that age. I was the same with my daughter, but she still liked to watch the truck and sometimes I'd let her buy something from it.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 07:40 (102508)

Oh, they are not gross!

Chicken fried steak is 'to die for'... it's so good. It's very fattening, I think.

On the other hand, I have to be in the mood for grits. I have a tendency to think of them as 'just grits' and kind of disappointing.

Carole C

john h on 12/10/02 at 10:59 (102553)

Suzanne:You have made my day with that web site. A case of moon pies for $12.95 and R.C. Colas. How on earth did you find that site. yummmmmmmmmy Sorry I cannot help myself folks as I promised only ot discuss more profound subjects.

john h on 12/10/02 at 11:17 (102558)

Carole: We had the little three wheeled bikes with the freezer on the back that had a bell they rang as they traveled around. I hate to use this word but I think we called him the 'Eskimo Pie' man. Wendy can relate at least to part of that.

pala on 12/10/02 at 11:40 (102561)

i hate to be petty but the correct pronunciation in moon pah.

Pauline on 12/10/02 at 12:27 (102565)

John,
Had you been in the Senate you could be in trouble. We'll see how folk here react. You could be asked to write sentences. I doubt you'll lose your position as minority leader:*)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 12:43 (102571)

That's what we had too, John, when I was a kid, now that I think about it. But by the time my daughter came around they had ice cream trucks and I had forgotten about the three wheeled bike. I remember now. But truck or ice cream bike, both seemed very fancy and unattainable to a five year old kid. The ice cream man seemed very important and probably famous! LOL

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 12:49 (102572)

Shame on you! As the Worthiness Police, I must reprimand you for not including the entire nutritional break-down of Moon Pies and R.C. Colas. For extra credit you could have told us how to say 'Moon Pie' in 47 different languages, or you at least could have included a statistical analysis of the cumulative effect of moon pies in preventing PF, over one's lifetime. But did you? (sigh) It's hopeless. :)

You should be like pala. She gets an A+ and a big gold star to wear on her green robes, because she knows how to properly pronounce 'Moon Pah's. :)

Carole C

pala on 12/10/02 at 13:11 (102574)

thank you. i feel i am finally getting the respect i have convinced myself i deserve, while standing on my head in green robes and headundies which makes a fine cushion for said head. om manee moonpah hum.

Re: ROFL!!! (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 13:24 (102575)

Sheila S on 12/10/02 at 13:32 (102576)

I heard that in a movie somewhere, didn't I? Moon pah oom pah loompity loom...

If I remember right, the next verse may have been sumpin like....
moon pah oom pah destined for doom.....

(you go pala! I know it's comin'....my eyes are squinched whilst I await your next email...)

pala on 12/10/02 at 17:14 (102599)

way to go sheila. i declare you a first degree moonpah.

pala on 12/10/02 at 17:23 (102602)

i lost the thread. way to go as well. i declare you a green belt in my clique. now with the underwear on head you must waddle saying quacque. quacque. quacque. the rest of us are doing this as well. honest. i would not trique you.

Julie on 12/10/02 at 17:39 (102606)

We had the Good Humor Man (on a three-wheeled cart) and the Bungalow Bar (in a big truck with a house-y roof on top). I liked Bungalow Bar better and used to wait for his arrival at 4pm every day at the corner of Claremont Park. Ah, those were the days...

Suzanne D on 12/10/02 at 21:38 (102646)

Sheila, the words and the rhythm remind me of something from 'Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'. Remember that movie?

Now that might start a thread on some other tasty, fattening treats!

By the way, I might be able to get into the clique as I on occasion have to get clean underwear for my first graders when they have accidents ~ and not just on Tuesdays. :-)

Suzanne D on 12/10/02 at 21:40 (102647)

Glad you liked the site, John! Actually, when Wendy asked about what moon pies really were, I thought that I wished she could see a picture of one. So I typed in 'moon pie' on 'search the web' on MSN which returned several hits. That was the second one I checked out, and I thought it might be worth looking at.

pala on 12/10/02 at 22:21 (102651)

consider yourself in suzanne. i'm a big fan of kind people.

wendyn on 12/10/02 at 22:29 (102653)

Okay - so the moon pie is the chocolate sandwich thing? Are they the size of a cookie?

They do look like wagon wheels.

I hate wagon wheels.

Probably hate moon pies too.

wendyn on 12/10/02 at 22:30 (102654)

Ooompa Loompas are the little midgets in Charlie and the Chocolate factory - and they do sing an Ooompa Loompa song. (Favorite book from grade 2)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 22:40 (102657)

I think the main attraction of moon pies is nostalgic. They were part of growing up in the midwest and southern US at one time. Also, they tasted wonderful as a child but that might not equate to tasting good to an adult. They are probably really sugary and contain every artifical substance known to man.

I haven't had one since I was a kid, but at that time they seemed infinitely large. Time essentially stopped when I was eating a moon pie. So, I think they are probably larger than a cookie.

Carole C

pala on 12/10/02 at 23:19 (102658)

time actually does stop when eating a moon pie. it is not a coincindence that it is curved, much lie space-time. it only stands to reason, then, that moon pies alter counsciousness and allow us a glimpse of satori, which is, of course, timeless.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 23:40 (102659)

In that case, I think we can definitely conclude that they are larger than a cookie.

Carole C

pala on 12/10/02 at 23:54 (102660)

lol

pala on 12/11/02 at 09:21 (102694)

i think the southerners and texans can stop pulling people's legs about moon pies now. you eat them!. that's a good one. did someone here actually send someone one to eat? that was kind of cruel. what you do with the cosmic space-time defying moon pie is you pray for a probability wave to collapse in your favor and then place the moon pie on your head to be sure the probability wave does not careen into you as it collapses. sorry to end your sadistic fun but this has just gone on too long.

john h on 12/11/02 at 10:08 (102704)

Julie: thank you for remembering it was 'the good humor man' on those three wheelers from my childhood. I have been racking my brain all week.

pala on 12/11/02 at 10:17 (102708)

in my neighborhood there was the good humor man and his lesser competition bungalow bar.

Julie on 12/11/02 at 11:26 (102719)

My pleasure, John. They were yellow 3-wheel carts, and the Man himself wore a white peaked cap.

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 16:03 (102741)

paula, necee sent me two moon pies, which i ate. i hope i did the right thing.

now, i read in the paper today that cows are loose on the highways of georgia. have you read about this? more important, have you seen these cows? the floorboards of a truck carrying a large number of cows apparently broke, sending five cows shooting down onto the highway.

the police called off the search after five hours, the article said. it ended, 'the cows were last seen heading for atlanta.'

nancy

pala on 12/11/02 at 17:04 (102749)

we are the cows. we have taken over paula's house in atlanta. we are after cosmic moon pies. we have been trying to trade paula for a moon pie but everyone says she is really wierd and no one undertsands one thing she ever says or types. it must be a relief to all of you here to finally get a sane posting. signed: cows for moon pies. p.s. the cmp will contact you again. power to the bovines.

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 18:24 (102764)

ok then, cows, please contact the police in covington, georgia. they need help in the art of cow-catching.

here are the most relevant parts of the article in today's paper:

Police Lt. Philip Bradford said it's the oddest call he's been on in his 17-year career.

Four cows remain on the run after escaping Sunday from a stalled tractor-trailer on Interstate 20. Bradford said the cows broke free when the floor board of a trailer carrying 59 cows snapped.

'I must have missed the day they taught how to catch loose cows in police academy,' Bradford said. . . .

The cows jumped through an opening in a guardrail onto a grassy embankment. Police called off the search after nearly five hours.

Johnny Jarel, the driver of the tractor-trailer, was charged for operating a 'junky' vehicle, police said.

The cows were last seen headed for Atlanta.

nancy s. on 12/23/02 at 23:38 (103881)

two weeks later i remember to look more thoroughly at this snowflake site posted by julie!

anyone who would enjoy a close-up look at the no-two-alike breathtakingly beautiful snowflake, here is your chance.

i'm speechless.

nancy