Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spur

Posted by Ann G on 12/07/02 at 12:31 (102089)

Has anyone heeled from this or is this something I will live with? Please give me some natural solutions for healing. Thanks

Re: Heel Spur

Pauline on 12/07/02 at 12:47 (102096)

Ann,
I'm one of the lucky ones. I've healed from P.F. three times. Each case lasted well over 2 years, but the important thing is they went away using all the conservation treatments mentioned in Scott's book.

I used them all, however, I still swear by Dr. Reynolds Jade Cream. It really helped me. His Wheatgrass Cream is not being substituted for the Jade. I for one will keep that on hand because of my experience from the Jade Cream.

Patience is the big word with P.F. and rest meaning staying off your feet as much as possible. If your working or a mom with kids it's not easy to do, but you need to make your employer and family know that your cure
will involve both of these two important things. Night splints, physical therapy, icing, and taping will also help.

I've never been able to use orthotics, but if they help you use them. Your feet will guide you as you heal.

Keep the faith even though it's hard to do because depression sets in real fast with long term illiness. Best of luck.

Dr. Z on 12/07/02 at 15:23 (102114)

See a doctor first. Find out exactly what you have. Read Scott heel pain book. Ask questions for your doctor and from this board.

It I was going to advice three things that area natural

Avoid long walks and long standing
Proper shoes with possible orthosis if needed
Stretching of the Achilles tendon
See a doctor to make sure that your diagnosis is correct that you have heel spurs

Ann G on 12/07/02 at 18:32 (102135)

I guess I could have given more information. I have seen a doctor and he confirms it is a heel spur. I've tried orthotics before when I broke a bone in my foot and I did not feel they really worked for me. However, I'm willing to try anything once again. Is it true that most heel spurs can take up to a year to heal?
Has anyone had any luck in using the topical ibuprofin?
One last question - how are you able to stay off your feet? My job I do sit but I have to get up and move around quite a bit as well. I'm normally a pretty active person choosing to walk places rather than drive, etc. The first question out of my mouth when I was told I had a heel spur was when Can I start doing aerobics, etc. Any suggestions will be quite helpful and appreciated.

john h on 12/07/02 at 18:49 (102141)

I switch around with the topical ibuprofen and Jade. They sure do not make it worse and are worth a go. Scott sells the ibuprofen gel which i like better than the creme. Both assist in massaging the foot at the worst and I always had this feeling that the Jade did offer some help. Maybe it's all in my head but I will take it where ever I can get it.

Dr. Z on 12/08/02 at 00:18 (102186)

The aerobics are out for now. Try swimming, biking instead. Taping is an excellenct form of treatment

Necee on 12/11/02 at 02:17 (102668)

Ann,

I suffered with PF for over 2 yrs. After many months of icing, taping, resting and wearing the proper support shoes, I can honestly say that I'm much better. The main factor in my recovery was buying Birks, now they aren't for everyone, but they sure helped me.

You must not give in Ann, try to stay focused on healing, remain strong with a possitive attitude.

I'm a firm believer in taking the conservative approach, my Dr wanted to do surgery, but I refused, and I'm so glad I did, there are just too many horror stories about foot surgeries.

Please continue to ask questions, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here who are always eager to help.

Happy trails...

Necee

Pauline on 12/07/02 at 12:47 (102096)

Ann,
I'm one of the lucky ones. I've healed from P.F. three times. Each case lasted well over 2 years, but the important thing is they went away using all the conservation treatments mentioned in Scott's book.

I used them all, however, I still swear by Dr. Reynolds Jade Cream. It really helped me. His Wheatgrass Cream is not being substituted for the Jade. I for one will keep that on hand because of my experience from the Jade Cream.

Patience is the big word with P.F. and rest meaning staying off your feet as much as possible. If your working or a mom with kids it's not easy to do, but you need to make your employer and family know that your cure
will involve both of these two important things. Night splints, physical therapy, icing, and taping will also help.

I've never been able to use orthotics, but if they help you use them. Your feet will guide you as you heal.

Keep the faith even though it's hard to do because depression sets in real fast with long term illiness. Best of luck.

Dr. Z on 12/07/02 at 15:23 (102114)

See a doctor first. Find out exactly what you have. Read Scott heel pain book. Ask questions for your doctor and from this board.

It I was going to advice three things that area natural

Avoid long walks and long standing
Proper shoes with possible orthosis if needed
Stretching of the Achilles tendon
See a doctor to make sure that your diagnosis is correct that you have heel spurs

Ann G on 12/07/02 at 18:32 (102135)

I guess I could have given more information. I have seen a doctor and he confirms it is a heel spur. I've tried orthotics before when I broke a bone in my foot and I did not feel they really worked for me. However, I'm willing to try anything once again. Is it true that most heel spurs can take up to a year to heal?
Has anyone had any luck in using the topical ibuprofin?
One last question - how are you able to stay off your feet? My job I do sit but I have to get up and move around quite a bit as well. I'm normally a pretty active person choosing to walk places rather than drive, etc. The first question out of my mouth when I was told I had a heel spur was when Can I start doing aerobics, etc. Any suggestions will be quite helpful and appreciated.

john h on 12/07/02 at 18:49 (102141)

I switch around with the topical ibuprofen and Jade. They sure do not make it worse and are worth a go. Scott sells the ibuprofen gel which i like better than the creme. Both assist in massaging the foot at the worst and I always had this feeling that the Jade did offer some help. Maybe it's all in my head but I will take it where ever I can get it.

Dr. Z on 12/08/02 at 00:18 (102186)

The aerobics are out for now. Try swimming, biking instead. Taping is an excellenct form of treatment

Necee on 12/11/02 at 02:17 (102668)

Ann,

I suffered with PF for over 2 yrs. After many months of icing, taping, resting and wearing the proper support shoes, I can honestly say that I'm much better. The main factor in my recovery was buying Birks, now they aren't for everyone, but they sure helped me.

You must not give in Ann, try to stay focused on healing, remain strong with a possitive attitude.

I'm a firm believer in taking the conservative approach, my Dr wanted to do surgery, but I refused, and I'm so glad I did, there are just too many horror stories about foot surgeries.

Please continue to ask questions, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here who are always eager to help.

Happy trails...

Necee