Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone know what a sore soleus muscle signifies?

Posted by Ellen J. on 12/08/02 at 14:34 (102261)

After 3 1/2 yrs of P.F. I am pretty much pain free, finally. However, sometimes the medial side of the lower leg (above the ankle bone) becomes sore and sends pain down the leg and past the ankle bone to the medial side of the foot in one spot below the ankle bone. I am presuming the leg pain is in the soleus muscle and it is sore to the touch if I press on it. In fact, the entire muscle is sore, not just a portion of it. I would love to know what this is and what activity causes it if anyone has a clue.
Thanks!
Ellen J.

Re: Anyone know what a sore soleus muscle signifies?

carmen h on 12/09/02 at 09:45 (102336)

You could have a trigger point in there...solues tp's can lead to foot pain.

Ellen J. on 12/10/02 at 09:35 (102534)

Hi Carmen,
I think that may be the problem. I was confused, however, because the entire muscle was sore to the touch, not just a spot in the muscle. I woke up with a couple of bad trigger points this AM due to walking a couple of blocks yesterday. What a pain, but am glad to know how to 'fix' them and what causes them.
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll keep working on them today.
Ellen

josh s on 12/10/02 at 12:10 (102562)

Are you sure it's the soleus. Unless it is trigger point radiation, the soleus does not interact below ankle. What you described could also be the posterior tibialis. Most people with the biomechanical proclivity toward developing pf are also prone to strain of the posterior tibialis and it's tendon. In fact, one orthotic text had chronic pt strain as a symptom of rearfoot varus - the most common foot 'deformity'.

If it is the soleus, according to the same text - the medial soleus is responsible in part for decelerating contact pronation. Any hyper- pronator would therefore be prone to straining this muscle. I would guess that whatever biomechanical factors led to your pf are now causing strain to the soleus, posterior tibialis or both. But I ain't no doctor.

Pete R on 12/10/02 at 13:39 (102578)

Ellen,

i get the same pain sometimes which normally clears after a couple of days. Don't really know what sets it off, could be activity (not that i do much)or shoes / orthotics worn.

Th etext books say the lower soleus muscle TP refers to the heel rather than the area you mention. In theory Julie's stretches might help you and ME

Good luck

P

Ellen J. on 12/10/02 at 19:39 (102632)

certainly sounds like a good explanation to me. I'll check out my book again and make sure I have named the right muscle in the leg. I wish I could find a doctor who will do a good biomechanical workup but the good ones aren't taking new patients in our area.
Thanks for your thoughts. I go over them again and look further into rear foot varus--until now I had only been looking at the possibility of forefoot varus.
Ellen

Ellen J. on 12/10/02 at 19:51 (102633)

Hi Pete,
The heel is hurting also, but what is strange is that the entire lower soleus is sore to the touch if I press on it. It then sometimes throbs and the throbbing sends pain shooting down into the medial side of the foot below the ankle. Also, it's sore from that spot all the way up to the soleus. What is stranger, however, is that the pain disappears as suddenly as it starts and comes on again later, even without any change in leg or foot position--as in lying flat on my back in bed, not moving an inch. I can walk all around during the day and then suddenly the pain will start at odd times and then disappear again.
I am thinking that trigger points are forming, and that biomechanical problems are causing the trigger points. Maybe the same with you? Like you, the pain can completely disappear after a couple of days but recur again a week or two (or more) later.
I agree that stretches will help. Wish I could remember to do them every day--I keep forgetting.
Ellen

carmen h on 12/09/02 at 09:45 (102336)

You could have a trigger point in there...solues tp's can lead to foot pain.

Ellen J. on 12/10/02 at 09:35 (102534)

Hi Carmen,
I think that may be the problem. I was confused, however, because the entire muscle was sore to the touch, not just a spot in the muscle. I woke up with a couple of bad trigger points this AM due to walking a couple of blocks yesterday. What a pain, but am glad to know how to 'fix' them and what causes them.
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll keep working on them today.
Ellen

josh s on 12/10/02 at 12:10 (102562)

Are you sure it's the soleus. Unless it is trigger point radiation, the soleus does not interact below ankle. What you described could also be the posterior tibialis. Most people with the biomechanical proclivity toward developing pf are also prone to strain of the posterior tibialis and it's tendon. In fact, one orthotic text had chronic pt strain as a symptom of rearfoot varus - the most common foot 'deformity'.

If it is the soleus, according to the same text - the medial soleus is responsible in part for decelerating contact pronation. Any hyper- pronator would therefore be prone to straining this muscle. I would guess that whatever biomechanical factors led to your pf are now causing strain to the soleus, posterior tibialis or both. But I ain't no doctor.

Pete R on 12/10/02 at 13:39 (102578)

Ellen,

i get the same pain sometimes which normally clears after a couple of days. Don't really know what sets it off, could be activity (not that i do much)or shoes / orthotics worn.

Th etext books say the lower soleus muscle TP refers to the heel rather than the area you mention. In theory Julie's stretches might help you and ME

Good luck

P

Ellen J. on 12/10/02 at 19:39 (102632)

certainly sounds like a good explanation to me. I'll check out my book again and make sure I have named the right muscle in the leg. I wish I could find a doctor who will do a good biomechanical workup but the good ones aren't taking new patients in our area.
Thanks for your thoughts. I go over them again and look further into rear foot varus--until now I had only been looking at the possibility of forefoot varus.
Ellen

Ellen J. on 12/10/02 at 19:51 (102633)

Hi Pete,
The heel is hurting also, but what is strange is that the entire lower soleus is sore to the touch if I press on it. It then sometimes throbs and the throbbing sends pain shooting down into the medial side of the foot below the ankle. Also, it's sore from that spot all the way up to the soleus. What is stranger, however, is that the pain disappears as suddenly as it starts and comes on again later, even without any change in leg or foot position--as in lying flat on my back in bed, not moving an inch. I can walk all around during the day and then suddenly the pain will start at odd times and then disappear again.
I am thinking that trigger points are forming, and that biomechanical problems are causing the trigger points. Maybe the same with you? Like you, the pain can completely disappear after a couple of days but recur again a week or two (or more) later.
I agree that stretches will help. Wish I could remember to do them every day--I keep forgetting.
Ellen