Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and now pain under big toe

Posted by Steve M on 12/08/02 at 15:53 (102265)

Iam a long time PF suffer although I have been able to get the situation partly under control by using orthotics, stretching, and no barefoot. I now get a burning pain in my arches some of the time, but little heel pain and no AM pain. I have been in this 'maintaince' phase for about a year now. My DPM has recommended release surgery, but I have declined to do that. He does not recommend ESWT. Said the ultrasound showed a very tight fascia with some scar tissue and small fibromas. It showed no tearing or inflamation. I have very high arches. I am better than before but not healed.

But now I have started to get pain in my right foot under the big toe at the joint where the toe meets the foot. It hurts on and off and is sensitive to pressure and is a bit red some times. What is this. Is it related to the PF. Should I go back to the DPM. Should I be concerned. Do you think ESWT would help. Or anything else that would heal me. Thanks for your help.

Re: PF and now pain under big toe

Pauline on 12/08/02 at 17:05 (102269)

Steve I'm not a doctor but I opinion is if your strong enough not to be talked into surgery then go back to the same DPM. Your pain could be as simple as the need for an orthotic adjustment.

You've come this far without surgery. I'd tell you to avoid it at all cost. Read the surgery postings for about 6 months and you'll probably agree you made the right decision not to have it. Remember you can always find a doctor to cut your plantar fascia but they won't guarantee you'll be pain free after the surgery.

Andrue on 12/09/02 at 05:44 (102320)

I had this once for about a week. I used Ibuprofen gel on it but had to be very gentle because bizarrely massaging it in gently hurt more than standing on it?!? It went away after a week and hasn't come back.

Pauline on 12/08/02 at 17:05 (102269)

Steve I'm not a doctor but I opinion is if your strong enough not to be talked into surgery then go back to the same DPM. Your pain could be as simple as the need for an orthotic adjustment.

You've come this far without surgery. I'd tell you to avoid it at all cost. Read the surgery postings for about 6 months and you'll probably agree you made the right decision not to have it. Remember you can always find a doctor to cut your plantar fascia but they won't guarantee you'll be pain free after the surgery.

Andrue on 12/09/02 at 05:44 (102320)

I had this once for about a week. I used Ibuprofen gel on it but had to be very gentle because bizarrely massaging it in gently hurt more than standing on it?!? It went away after a week and hasn't come back.