Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

neurontin

Posted by trish e on 12/09/02 at 13:35 (102371)

i would like to know if any of you are on this med and if it has made your memory disappear.iam on 2700 mg and the burning is still there and pain when walkiing,there has to be another drug for this,before asking my doc i just wanted to have some other choices plus some in put on other drugs for this burning and tingling in surgery foot.thanks for listening ,if you would like please send any info to my e-mail address.

Re: neurontin

BrianJ on 12/09/02 at 22:16 (102460)

I am taking 1200mg per day of Neurontin, and have experienced no side effects. It has helped somewhat with the burning, but is not a miracle cure. If your pain is caused by inflammation, there are a variety of Cox-2 anti-inflammatories to try, such as Celebrex, Vioxx, Bextra and Mobic. For nerve irritation, I'm only aware of Neurontin, but there may be others. I'm not a doctor, so I'm sure you'll want to get professional advice on all this.

Good luck.

Sharon W on 12/10/02 at 08:07 (102522)

Brian,

Neurontin is usually the preferred drug, because it seems to be the most effective for the largest number of people. But there are several similar drugs that may work for those who have problems with Neurontin. Tegretol is an anticonvulsant like Neurontin; it's supposed to be especially good for shooting, stabbing, or 'electric shock' nerve pain. Baclofen (another anticonvulsant) can help a person deal with aching and is good against spasms and cramping, for people who have those problems. Both of these are drugs more often prescribed for peripheral neuropathy, but then again, so is Neurontin!

You had a good point asking if she takes Cox-2 inhibitors -- I would be in lots of pain without my Vioxx!

Sharon

Sharon W on 12/10/02 at 08:08 (102524)

Trish,

You will find that I sent you a response by e-mail.

Sharon

Re: Prudoxin

Sharon W on 12/10/02 at 08:37 (102530)

Trish,

I forgot to mention this -- when I complained of unrelieved burning and tingling, my pod prescribed a topical cream called Prudoxin. It is actually a drug related to the tricyclic antidepressants (like Elavil) and it's usually prescribed for abnormal ITCHING, but it seems to help me, espcecially with the tingling.

Sharon

trish e on 12/10/02 at 14:06 (102581)

thank you sharon for the information i will write you at your e-mail thanx

trish e on 12/10/02 at 14:09 (102583)

thanks brian ,yes i was wondering about meds for nerves, but i would like to know when haing this tts/open fashia surgery is it normal for the pulse in your foot to now be in the incision it-self.the doc said this is normal is it ? thanks for answering my post.will keep you posted.

Re: Thanks, Sharon W!

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 13:45 (102954)

I'm going to make a note of that cream and ask my doctor about it. The pain in my hand has been quite a bit worse of late and it is definitely a burning sensation. Maybe it would work for that.

Thanks so much!

trish e on 12/13/02 at 15:03 (102962)

THANK YOU KATHY AND YES THAT WOULD BE NICE TO KNOW THE NAME OF CREME

Re: For Kathy

Sharon W on 12/13/02 at 23:32 (103018)

It certainly might, if you have carpal tunnel or ulnar nerve compression problems. My pod prescribed the Prudoxin mostly for burning, I think; she said other patients have had good success with it for that. For me it was actually more useful for tingling and numbness -- the burning it converted to pins-and-needles, which is only a SMALL improvement!

Sharon

Sharon W on 12/13/02 at 23:34 (103019)

Trish,

It's called Prudoxin. Please see my post with that subject title, below.

Sharon

Pam B on 12/17/02 at 13:36 (103412)

I have been taking neurotin for about a two weeks slowly working up to a 2700mg dosage.....I am experiencing dizziness and balance issues at 1200 mgs.....I go back to the pain center tomorrow and am going to discuss this with the doc there.....I dont think it is doing anything for my foot but it is sure messing with my head.....when I take that third dose of the day, at nite, I close my eyes and get that drunk feeling you get with the room spinning....I personally dont care for these pills but the doc did tell me some of the side effects would disappear with a little time.....hope you can find something that works for you, take care and if the doc says anything worth repeating, I will post it for you :)

Re: Pam

BrianG on 12/17/02 at 21:15 (103441)

Hi Pam,

For myself, and others, Neurontn will only work for nerve type pain. If you have PF (inflamation), it could be why it's not doing too much for you. You might be better with 800mg Ibuprofen, Vioxx, or something like Vicodan. If the Neurontin is not working, let your doc know, there are many other things to try.

Regards
BrianG

t eiford on 12/17/02 at 21:36 (103446)

hi pam, the neurontin has done a number on my memory and not helped at all in the pain area it does decrease some of the burning,let me know if your doctor gives you some thing differant

Pam B on 12/21/02 at 12:13 (103695)

Well all, I discussed this with my pain doc......they are telling me with RSD, I have to try to give this drug time to work......they want me to get to the 2700mgs if I can, if not, then they will try some other type of anti seizure drug to replace neurontin.....seems that they are insistant that with RSD, this drug can work wonders???????? but as for the post I read on here asking about memory issues taking this drug....well.....from what I just read on the pill bottle I just refilled, the insert says that IF YOU ARE HAVING MEMORY ISSUES TAKING THIS DRUG, CALL YOUR DOC RIGHT AWAY.......I cannot remember right now which person it was cause I forgot to look when I started to post this.......but please be careful taking this drug....it can have some terrible side effects as I well know.....

Brian.......I do take vicodin also....in addition to having a lidocane patch that I can wear when I need it.....also on anti depressents and xanax also due to the anxiety and depression that goes along with RSD as well as any of the problems we all face here.....I am not able to take celebrex or vioxx nor can my tummy handle any of the NSAID drugs due to IBS......but thank you just the same for your advice.....like you all, I am just trudging along from day to day doing the best I can do, it is all any of us can do.....

Merry Christmas to all :)

Re: Anti siezure meds

BrianG on 12/23/02 at 20:53 (103872)

Hi Pam,

Sounds like your pain doc is a Neurologist. They love the anti siezure meds. I tried three, or four (meds), myself. didn't do squat. The only pain meds that have worked for me are narcotic type. It's not the best situation, but it works!! But then again, I do not have RSD, which could be why the Neurontin type med's didn't work. Just keep your doctor well informed of how your feeling. Don't let them give up on you, or continue to insist you try meds that are not working. Our bodies are complex, what works for one person , may not work for another. Just don't give up. You have a lot of meds to try yet. Try not to get too frustrated.

Have a relaxing holiday
BrianG

PS: Consider keeping a pain diary, it can help in the long run. I've logged everything they asked me to try, and how I felt while taking it. It was a big help when I realized I couldn't work again, and had to apply for SSD.

PPS: Vicodan is really for acute pain. There are much better med's for chronic pain, such as, OxyContin, MsContin, Fentynal patch, Methadone and others.

t eiford on 12/27/02 at 10:42 (104101)

hi brian i have a question about neurontin iam currently taking 2700 mg and for the last 2 weeks now my hands are so dry and they are pealing i have bought the best of all lotions and nothing has helped is it possible the neurontin could dry me up ? help

Re: Brian,

Tammie on 1/05/03 at 17:36 (104909)

I am thinking none of the meds work . You see as soon as your body gets used to it they change it and then they tell you it has to work.

Then they tell you that your depressed , I tell them yes I am I am damed depressed as noone will listen to me and by the time anyone does I am so darn tired I do feel depressed. My pain is telling me I just have to pull myself up and keep fighting. LOL Tell me again why I want to . No I know I am fortuante I really do and my next 3 blocks are this month . But I am scared again and more fear isnt the block it is the fear that nothing will work then I have to face that.

i am on the neurontin and have been since finding my pain doc and he is a anesthesia. He insist I stay on it as the burning pain and stuff he believes it helps. I went off on my own remember? Well He yelled and told me I am lucky I didnt make my self darn sick as it could of. So Yes I went right back on as he insisted.

My pain doc says I should be fine as I have the oxy 3 times aday plus nuerontin 3 times a day and amtripilline 100 mg before bed abieon if I cant sleep with all of that,one of the new antidepressants as my new primary put me on as she thought I neded a change,throid as they check that often she adjusted it again.,Now my doc says this is enough but I have to get mad and then I can talk lol, Thease meds , take over your body and they do not work like when you first are on them. I am having so much of the same type pains in my other foot and leg that I want to call the wagaon lol but I am to stubborn and I am not ready for defeet yet haha defeet, hummm sounds interesting.

Heh How is that pup?

BrianJ on 12/09/02 at 22:16 (102460)

I am taking 1200mg per day of Neurontin, and have experienced no side effects. It has helped somewhat with the burning, but is not a miracle cure. If your pain is caused by inflammation, there are a variety of Cox-2 anti-inflammatories to try, such as Celebrex, Vioxx, Bextra and Mobic. For nerve irritation, I'm only aware of Neurontin, but there may be others. I'm not a doctor, so I'm sure you'll want to get professional advice on all this.

Good luck.

Sharon W on 12/10/02 at 08:07 (102522)

Brian,

Neurontin is usually the preferred drug, because it seems to be the most effective for the largest number of people. But there are several similar drugs that may work for those who have problems with Neurontin. Tegretol is an anticonvulsant like Neurontin; it's supposed to be especially good for shooting, stabbing, or 'electric shock' nerve pain. Baclofen (another anticonvulsant) can help a person deal with aching and is good against spasms and cramping, for people who have those problems. Both of these are drugs more often prescribed for peripheral neuropathy, but then again, so is Neurontin!

You had a good point asking if she takes Cox-2 inhibitors -- I would be in lots of pain without my Vioxx!

Sharon

Sharon W on 12/10/02 at 08:08 (102524)

Trish,

You will find that I sent you a response by e-mail.

Sharon

Re: Prudoxin

Sharon W on 12/10/02 at 08:37 (102530)

Trish,

I forgot to mention this -- when I complained of unrelieved burning and tingling, my pod prescribed a topical cream called Prudoxin. It is actually a drug related to the tricyclic antidepressants (like Elavil) and it's usually prescribed for abnormal ITCHING, but it seems to help me, espcecially with the tingling.

Sharon

trish e on 12/10/02 at 14:06 (102581)

thank you sharon for the information i will write you at your e-mail thanx

trish e on 12/10/02 at 14:09 (102583)

thanks brian ,yes i was wondering about meds for nerves, but i would like to know when haing this tts/open fashia surgery is it normal for the pulse in your foot to now be in the incision it-self.the doc said this is normal is it ? thanks for answering my post.will keep you posted.

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 13:45 (102954)

I'm going to make a note of that cream and ask my doctor about it. The pain in my hand has been quite a bit worse of late and it is definitely a burning sensation. Maybe it would work for that.

Thanks so much!

trish e on 12/13/02 at 15:03 (102962)

THANK YOU KATHY AND YES THAT WOULD BE NICE TO KNOW THE NAME OF CREME

Sharon W on 12/13/02 at 23:32 (103018)

It certainly might, if you have carpal tunnel or ulnar nerve compression problems. My pod prescribed the Prudoxin mostly for burning, I think; she said other patients have had good success with it for that. For me it was actually more useful for tingling and numbness -- the burning it converted to pins-and-needles, which is only a SMALL improvement!

Sharon

Sharon W on 12/13/02 at 23:34 (103019)

Trish,

It's called Prudoxin. Please see my post with that subject title, below.

Sharon

Pam B on 12/17/02 at 13:36 (103412)

I have been taking neurotin for about a two weeks slowly working up to a 2700mg dosage.....I am experiencing dizziness and balance issues at 1200 mgs.....I go back to the pain center tomorrow and am going to discuss this with the doc there.....I dont think it is doing anything for my foot but it is sure messing with my head.....when I take that third dose of the day, at nite, I close my eyes and get that drunk feeling you get with the room spinning....I personally dont care for these pills but the doc did tell me some of the side effects would disappear with a little time.....hope you can find something that works for you, take care and if the doc says anything worth repeating, I will post it for you :)

Re: Pam

BrianG on 12/17/02 at 21:15 (103441)

Hi Pam,

For myself, and others, Neurontn will only work for nerve type pain. If you have PF (inflamation), it could be why it's not doing too much for you. You might be better with 800mg Ibuprofen, Vioxx, or something like Vicodan. If the Neurontin is not working, let your doc know, there are many other things to try.

Regards
BrianG

t eiford on 12/17/02 at 21:36 (103446)

hi pam, the neurontin has done a number on my memory and not helped at all in the pain area it does decrease some of the burning,let me know if your doctor gives you some thing differant

Pam B on 12/21/02 at 12:13 (103695)

Well all, I discussed this with my pain doc......they are telling me with RSD, I have to try to give this drug time to work......they want me to get to the 2700mgs if I can, if not, then they will try some other type of anti seizure drug to replace neurontin.....seems that they are insistant that with RSD, this drug can work wonders???????? but as for the post I read on here asking about memory issues taking this drug....well.....from what I just read on the pill bottle I just refilled, the insert says that IF YOU ARE HAVING MEMORY ISSUES TAKING THIS DRUG, CALL YOUR DOC RIGHT AWAY.......I cannot remember right now which person it was cause I forgot to look when I started to post this.......but please be careful taking this drug....it can have some terrible side effects as I well know.....

Brian.......I do take vicodin also....in addition to having a lidocane patch that I can wear when I need it.....also on anti depressents and xanax also due to the anxiety and depression that goes along with RSD as well as any of the problems we all face here.....I am not able to take celebrex or vioxx nor can my tummy handle any of the NSAID drugs due to IBS......but thank you just the same for your advice.....like you all, I am just trudging along from day to day doing the best I can do, it is all any of us can do.....

Merry Christmas to all :)

Re: Anti siezure meds

BrianG on 12/23/02 at 20:53 (103872)

Hi Pam,

Sounds like your pain doc is a Neurologist. They love the anti siezure meds. I tried three, or four (meds), myself. didn't do squat. The only pain meds that have worked for me are narcotic type. It's not the best situation, but it works!! But then again, I do not have RSD, which could be why the Neurontin type med's didn't work. Just keep your doctor well informed of how your feeling. Don't let them give up on you, or continue to insist you try meds that are not working. Our bodies are complex, what works for one person , may not work for another. Just don't give up. You have a lot of meds to try yet. Try not to get too frustrated.

Have a relaxing holiday
BrianG

PS: Consider keeping a pain diary, it can help in the long run. I've logged everything they asked me to try, and how I felt while taking it. It was a big help when I realized I couldn't work again, and had to apply for SSD.

PPS: Vicodan is really for acute pain. There are much better med's for chronic pain, such as, OxyContin, MsContin, Fentynal patch, Methadone and others.

t eiford on 12/27/02 at 10:42 (104101)

hi brian i have a question about neurontin iam currently taking 2700 mg and for the last 2 weeks now my hands are so dry and they are pealing i have bought the best of all lotions and nothing has helped is it possible the neurontin could dry me up ? help

Re: Brian,

Tammie on 1/05/03 at 17:36 (104909)

I am thinking none of the meds work . You see as soon as your body gets used to it they change it and then they tell you it has to work.

Then they tell you that your depressed , I tell them yes I am I am damed depressed as noone will listen to me and by the time anyone does I am so darn tired I do feel depressed. My pain is telling me I just have to pull myself up and keep fighting. LOL Tell me again why I want to . No I know I am fortuante I really do and my next 3 blocks are this month . But I am scared again and more fear isnt the block it is the fear that nothing will work then I have to face that.

i am on the neurontin and have been since finding my pain doc and he is a anesthesia. He insist I stay on it as the burning pain and stuff he believes it helps. I went off on my own remember? Well He yelled and told me I am lucky I didnt make my self darn sick as it could of. So Yes I went right back on as he insisted.

My pain doc says I should be fine as I have the oxy 3 times aday plus nuerontin 3 times a day and amtripilline 100 mg before bed abieon if I cant sleep with all of that,one of the new antidepressants as my new primary put me on as she thought I neded a change,throid as they check that often she adjusted it again.,Now my doc says this is enough but I have to get mad and then I can talk lol, Thease meds , take over your body and they do not work like when you first are on them. I am having so much of the same type pains in my other foot and leg that I want to call the wagaon lol but I am to stubborn and I am not ready for defeet yet haha defeet, hummm sounds interesting.

Heh How is that pup?