Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain-free morning, pain returns late in day

Posted by johnb on 12/09/02 at 15:30 (102384)

Lately, by taking bromelain mid-afternoon and before bedtime, I have had pain-free mornings, but pain returns late in the day. Does this match other's healing process? I am so happy to at least have pain-free mornings! Do the pain-free periods get longer and longer as healing takes place? Pain late in the day comes whether I walk or not.

Re: Pain-free morning, pain returns late in day

Kathy G on 12/09/02 at 18:06 (102424)

John,

I know you said you were taking a prescription anti-inflammatory prior to taking the Bromelain, right? Did your feet react the same way? Or did they not feel better at all?

My feet hardly hurt at all in the morning but by many late afternoons, the pain is pretty bad.

Is it your arch area, your heels or all over?

I don't know anything about Bromelain but could you take it first thing in the morning, too? Maybe then it would be working late in the afternoon.

Just some random thoughts!

johnb on 12/10/02 at 09:34 (102533)

Kathy G, thanks for reply.

No, I have just started 'experimenting' with cures mentioned on this website. Have never been to podiatrist. Have never taken any other prescriptions or supplements for PF. My pain is right heel only, can be isolated by pressing near the center of the heel. Have tried night splint, ice, Dr. Scholl's 'gel' cushioned shoes and rest, without improvement. Bromelain is the first 'cure' that has really helped, at least in the morning. Before Bromelain, the pain was almost a cramp-like ache, which would go away most times when I elevated my right leg. Long driving spells caused the same cramp-like ache when first stepping out of the car. Maybe my problem is related to gout, which I know enzymes(bromelain) help. Although I think gout normally is toe pain, which I have never had.

Anyway, I am thankful my cramp-like heel pain is GONE, and the pain when walking is improving every day, thanks to bromelain. BTW, I am 62yrs and NOT overweight, if that matters. I hope to be able to golf pain-free in the spring!

Kathy G on 12/10/02 at 14:07 (102582)

Well, John, here's a bit of unsolicited advice. Go to a podiatrist and find out what is wrong with your foot. Most of us who post here fooled around with all kinds of orthotics and home remedies before we went to a doctor and we are sorry we waited. You might have some arthritis in that heel that could be controlled with Glucoasamine or a prescription drug. You could have a stress fracture. There are all kinds of possibilities but only a doctor, with examination and an xray, will be able to really find out the cause. You are probably on to something with the Bromelain but I don't know how it works. I know another natural anti-inflammatory, Arnica, works only for a limited time.

As the wife of an avid golfer, I urge you to go now so that you'll be in good form for golf season! You don't want to still be in pain when that golf green is calling! Or discover after your first round that your foot pain has returned.

Just my opinion but I hate to see people hurt unnecessarily because they didn't go to a doctor sooner. I've been there and done that!

Kathy G on 12/09/02 at 18:06 (102424)

John,

I know you said you were taking a prescription anti-inflammatory prior to taking the Bromelain, right? Did your feet react the same way? Or did they not feel better at all?

My feet hardly hurt at all in the morning but by many late afternoons, the pain is pretty bad.

Is it your arch area, your heels or all over?

I don't know anything about Bromelain but could you take it first thing in the morning, too? Maybe then it would be working late in the afternoon.

Just some random thoughts!

johnb on 12/10/02 at 09:34 (102533)

Kathy G, thanks for reply.

No, I have just started 'experimenting' with cures mentioned on this website. Have never been to podiatrist. Have never taken any other prescriptions or supplements for PF. My pain is right heel only, can be isolated by pressing near the center of the heel. Have tried night splint, ice, Dr. Scholl's 'gel' cushioned shoes and rest, without improvement. Bromelain is the first 'cure' that has really helped, at least in the morning. Before Bromelain, the pain was almost a cramp-like ache, which would go away most times when I elevated my right leg. Long driving spells caused the same cramp-like ache when first stepping out of the car. Maybe my problem is related to gout, which I know enzymes(bromelain) help. Although I think gout normally is toe pain, which I have never had.

Anyway, I am thankful my cramp-like heel pain is GONE, and the pain when walking is improving every day, thanks to bromelain. BTW, I am 62yrs and NOT overweight, if that matters. I hope to be able to golf pain-free in the spring!

Kathy G on 12/10/02 at 14:07 (102582)

Well, John, here's a bit of unsolicited advice. Go to a podiatrist and find out what is wrong with your foot. Most of us who post here fooled around with all kinds of orthotics and home remedies before we went to a doctor and we are sorry we waited. You might have some arthritis in that heel that could be controlled with Glucoasamine or a prescription drug. You could have a stress fracture. There are all kinds of possibilities but only a doctor, with examination and an xray, will be able to really find out the cause. You are probably on to something with the Bromelain but I don't know how it works. I know another natural anti-inflammatory, Arnica, works only for a limited time.

As the wife of an avid golfer, I urge you to go now so that you'll be in good form for golf season! You don't want to still be in pain when that golf green is calling! Or discover after your first round that your foot pain has returned.

Just my opinion but I hate to see people hurt unnecessarily because they didn't go to a doctor sooner. I've been there and done that!