Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Severe heel pain

Posted by annette on 12/09/02 at 16:29 (102391)

I am currently living in England. Several months, on a visit to the States, I visited with my GP. I had been having heel pain several months prior to that visit. The diagnosis (rather casually) was a heel spur. I was told to weat heel pads and take Ibuprofen. Well, it isn't getting any better. It has been six months now. I do not drive in London and must walk everywhere. At the end of the day, this is becoming increasingly difficult. I cannot find a Podiatrist here. I won't be back in the States for another several months. What can I do for this pain? Are there exercises? heat? cold? anything as I am desperate. I have tried yoga stretching. I have seen braces offered in catalogs which claim to help. Are these braces of any help. Thanks for any info.
AJ

Re: Severe heel pain

Julie on 12/09/02 at 17:00 (102400)

Hello Annette

I'm in London too. You might want to make an appointment with my podiatrist, Ron McCulloch. He's good: he is head of podiatric medicine at Guy's, and practises privately in Lewisham and also out of Harley Street. He has a website that you can check out: http://www/londonpodiatry.com . If you see him he will give you a full examination and evaluation, watch you walking (and video it) on a treadmill, and advise you based on what he observes. My only reservation about him is that - like many other DPMs - he advocates aggressive stretches like the wall stretch, which in my experience and that of many others here do more harm than good. Non-weight bearing exercise is best.

Read the heel pain book (click on the blue link here) for plenty of information about PF and its treatments. But do see a podiatrist. You need to establish the cause of your PF so that it can be appropriately addressed. Also follow the message boards: there's a lot of accumulated knowledge here, and lots of support too, from folks who've been through it and know what you're going through.

Julie on 12/09/02 at 17:03 (102401)

PS - I've just seen your question about braces. Do you mean the elastic ankle supports with a hole for the heel? If so, yes, I think you would find one helpful: they support the arch as well as the ankle. You might also find taping a help: see the instructions in part 2 of the heel pain book.

What yoga stretching are you doing?

Julie on 12/09/02 at 17:00 (102400)

Hello Annette

I'm in London too. You might want to make an appointment with my podiatrist, Ron McCulloch. He's good: he is head of podiatric medicine at Guy's, and practises privately in Lewisham and also out of Harley Street. He has a website that you can check out: http://www/londonpodiatry.com . If you see him he will give you a full examination and evaluation, watch you walking (and video it) on a treadmill, and advise you based on what he observes. My only reservation about him is that - like many other DPMs - he advocates aggressive stretches like the wall stretch, which in my experience and that of many others here do more harm than good. Non-weight bearing exercise is best.

Read the heel pain book (click on the blue link here) for plenty of information about PF and its treatments. But do see a podiatrist. You need to establish the cause of your PF so that it can be appropriately addressed. Also follow the message boards: there's a lot of accumulated knowledge here, and lots of support too, from folks who've been through it and know what you're going through.

Julie on 12/09/02 at 17:03 (102401)

PS - I've just seen your question about braces. Do you mean the elastic ankle supports with a hole for the heel? If so, yes, I think you would find one helpful: they support the arch as well as the ankle. You might also find taping a help: see the instructions in part 2 of the heel pain book.

What yoga stretching are you doing?