Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

more in depth topics

Posted by pala on 12/09/02 at 17:21 (102406)

actually i wouldn't mind seeing more in depth topics here. it would be a shame that we were limited to moon pies because of nasty attackers or whatever. of course , to get an in depth topic going one must suggest a topic for discussion. if no one follows up, then no one is interested in that. (nothing wrong with moon pie discussions, of course. i feel like george and sienfeld. :)

Re: here's one for you pala

Sheila S on 12/09/02 at 20:21 (102442)

Such a diverse-thinking group here. My brother and I were discussing parenting one day. Which do you think is worse on a child, both emotionally and psychologically - to be raised with an absent father or an absent mother? And why? (absence NOT being due to death - because it generally doesn't impact as adversely as one who is alive but not 'there.')

Re: more in depth topics

Necee on 12/09/02 at 22:25 (102462)

If you want more in depth topics Pala, then just throw it out there. You can't catch anything with an empty hook.

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 07:30 (102503)

I think kids need all the parenting and help in growing up that they can get. So to me, the answer is that either option is dreadfully difficult. Either requires a lot of extra work by the remaining parent for the sake of the child. The wonderful silver lining to this cloud is that children are so resilient, and can survive a lot if raised in an environment where they know they are loved, cared for, and safe.

Carole C

john h on 12/10/02 at 10:44 (102549)

Shelia: you and your brothers question brings up a new movie about to be released 'Evelyn' with Pierce Brosnan. It is a true story about a man in Ireland who's wife leaves him and his children. In 1954 the law in Ireland did not think a father could raise children without a wife so they took the chilren and put them in institutions. The story is about how he got his children back and changed the law to allown men to raise children in absence of a mother. Your question seems to have revelance.My answer would be it depends on the mother and father in question. They are rarely o equal.

Re: sounds like a good movie...

Sheila S on 12/10/02 at 10:58 (102552)

John, thanks for telling me about it - it sounds like a must-see movie! I do love watching a true story where someone overcomes the odds.

Erin Brokovitch was an excellent story in my opinion, and quite an interesting character. Rather to be admired. =)

Sheila S on 12/09/02 at 20:21 (102442)

Such a diverse-thinking group here. My brother and I were discussing parenting one day. Which do you think is worse on a child, both emotionally and psychologically - to be raised with an absent father or an absent mother? And why? (absence NOT being due to death - because it generally doesn't impact as adversely as one who is alive but not 'there.')

Re: more in depth topics

Necee on 12/09/02 at 22:25 (102462)

If you want more in depth topics Pala, then just throw it out there. You can't catch anything with an empty hook.

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 07:30 (102503)

I think kids need all the parenting and help in growing up that they can get. So to me, the answer is that either option is dreadfully difficult. Either requires a lot of extra work by the remaining parent for the sake of the child. The wonderful silver lining to this cloud is that children are so resilient, and can survive a lot if raised in an environment where they know they are loved, cared for, and safe.

Carole C

john h on 12/10/02 at 10:44 (102549)

Shelia: you and your brothers question brings up a new movie about to be released 'Evelyn' with Pierce Brosnan. It is a true story about a man in Ireland who's wife leaves him and his children. In 1954 the law in Ireland did not think a father could raise children without a wife so they took the chilren and put them in institutions. The story is about how he got his children back and changed the law to allown men to raise children in absence of a mother. Your question seems to have revelance.My answer would be it depends on the mother and father in question. They are rarely o equal.

Re: sounds like a good movie...

Sheila S on 12/10/02 at 10:58 (102552)

John, thanks for telling me about it - it sounds like a must-see movie! I do love watching a true story where someone overcomes the odds.

Erin Brokovitch was an excellent story in my opinion, and quite an interesting character. Rather to be admired. =)