Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Yankee pot roast

Posted by Kari B on 12/09/02 at 23:45 (102479)

Hi all...
I noticed here that we needed another food topic.. (sorry, bad joke) but since I'm here and I read the moon pie thread for a long time and saw that many people really do know what they are (yes I have had them), I thought I would see if anyone has a really good recipe for Yankee pot roast. No, I'm not trying to place a locality on this topic lol... I once had a meal in a restaraunt called 'yankee pot roast' which was the most delicious pot roast I have ever had and cannot seem to match it no matter what I try. It had a really thick gravy and the roast was so tender it was falling apart with veggies and everything you could imagine. They also served mashed potatoes with it. If anyone would like to share their favorite recipe for pot roast or has actually heard of what I am trying to describe... please share!! (If possible, include what cut of beef to use so as to get that fall apart tenderness). Thanks everyone! HUGS TO ALL!
Kari

Re: Yankee pot roast

Necee on 12/10/02 at 00:01 (102484)

Well, it's going to take a yankee to answer that one Kari. Now if you want to know about bar-be-que, enchiladas, chili, or sweet tater pie, then I could help ya out.
I've had tasty and tender pot roast, cooked it many times myself, the trick is to cook it slow, preferrebly in a crock pot.
Good luck!

Happy trails...

Necee

Kari B on 12/10/02 at 00:47 (102485)

Necee.... Ok, I do have a question for ya about the enchiladas... I make them myself, but would love to hear another recipe for them! I have this problem with getting the tortillas soft enough to roll them when I put my stuffing in. Most of the time I wind up with broken tortillas. Either way they taste the same, but it would be nice to be able to get that one thing right!! Thanks a million!
Kari

Sheila S on 12/10/02 at 05:30 (102494)

Hi Kari, any cut of beef will do, the trick is to cook it slowly in a crock pot (restaurants probably use a pressure cooker). Put all the veggies you like in a crock pot, put meat on top, add about 4 cups of beef broth, season to taste, and cook about 11 hours on low setting. Then take beef out, add either flour mixture with water or corn starch (to thicken) and cook on high for about an hour till gravy thickens.

Then you will have a melt in your mouth, falling apart, tender and juicy Pot Roast. =)

(by the way, chicken breast is delicious cooked just like this but with chicken broth instead. Reduce cooking time to about 8 hours)

Re: tortillas

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 07:22 (102502)

If you just put them briefly in a warm/hot frying pan and then flip them, the heat will soften them up... at least that is what I do. I don't know if that works with corn tortillas because I usually use flour.

Carole C

Julie on 12/10/02 at 07:35 (102506)

Good morning, Carole! (well, afternoon here).

I was SO sorry to learn that you aren't part of the G8 Klik. Never mind. We might speak to you all the same :))

Sharon W on 12/10/02 at 07:47 (102509)

Kari,

I had always done the same thing as Carole, until a good friend of mine (who is Mexican) showed me how SHE softens the corn tortillas to make enchiladas -- she puts enchilada sauce in a small frying pan, warms it, and then briefly soaks each tortilla in it (a few moments on each side). Softest and yummiest enchiladas you can imagine!

Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 07:48 (102511)

Gosh thank you! I do appreciate it. Now I can participate in the discussions just as though I was in the G8 clique. (grin)

Carole C

Sheila S on 12/10/02 at 07:57 (102516)

It works for corn tortillas - you just need a little oil in the pan to lightly fry them.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 07:59 (102518)

When I make enchiladas, I cover them with the sauce anyway so I don't think I'd notice whether or not I'd used it in warming up the tortillas beforehand. That does sound nice if they'd be dry otherwise, though!

Carole C

Re: enchiladas

Sharon W on 12/10/02 at 08:14 (102527)

Carole,

I always had, too, but the initial soaking in enchilada sauce DOES seem to make a difference.

All this talk about enchiladas is making me hungry... maybe my family will have them for dinner tonight!

Sharon

Re: Pot Roast

Kathy G on 12/10/02 at 09:10 (102532)

Kari,

Gosh, I haven't made one in ages! I decided that it wasn't a very healthy recipie because of all the fat in it. I use a pressure cooker and a cheap cut of beef, usually the 'higher grade' of Chuck, about 4 pounds. Let's see, this is one of my mother's recipes so I don't have it in writing.

Heat up a bit of oil in the pan. When it's hot, brown the meat on all sides. (This is an important step) It'll take a while but is worth it.

Now, you can do the rest in two different ways. You can cook the meat separately and add the vegetables when it's almost done. Or you can cook the vegetables and meat at the same time. If you cook it separately, you add a little salt and pepper and one cup of water. Cook it 25 minutes, with the pressure regulator rocking slowly. Let pressure drop of its own accord. Now add the vegetables, usually I just use whole carrots and potatoes cut in half. You can also put in whole small onions. Put the cover back on and let it cook for another 10 minutes.

The easier way, but it can lead to mushier vegetables, is to put everything in at once and cook it all for 35 minutes. Actually, the vegetaables come out tastier that way but on occasion, the carrots do come out a bit too soft.

Thicken the gravy with some Wondra flour or cornstarch.

Enjoy!

I'll bet you can make it with a better grade of meat but because my mother never did, I never did!

I use a Presto pressuer cooker but my sister says it will work in a crock pot. I just don't have one.

I hope everyone, particularly Elliot, will enjoy this recipe!!

Sheila S on 12/10/02 at 10:00 (102537)

I hadn't thought of soaking them in the sauce.... how brilliant!! . I bet they could also be steamed...

You know, my grandad used to make enchilladas this way, you might try it, and you don't have to bake them... they were delicious!!

He'd make sauce in one pan (home-made too!), fry up beef with onions and seasonings in another pan, and lightly fry tortillas in another.

He layered them on individual plates (we all stood in line! lol)... tortilla, meat, sauce, grated cheese, tortilla, and so on. Like a stack of pancakes....WUNderful!!!!!

.......now I think I'm off the store for some enchillada sauce and tortillas (never could master his homemade sauce) - my tummy's grumbling.

Necee on 12/11/02 at 00:49 (102665)

Kari, you have gotten some great ideas for softening tortillas. What I do is moisten a couple of paper towels, then place a few tortillas in between them and heat in the microwave for only a few seconds.
I have this wonderful recipe for chicken enchiladas, but you don't put the cheese etc, inside the rolled tortillas you break the tortillas into pieces and just make a big casserole......its Soooo...good!!!
All this talk about food and I'm on a diet!!!!

Happy trails.....

Necee

Sharon W on 12/11/02 at 07:06 (102674)

Necee,

Your chicken enchiladas sound WONDERFUL!

Sharon

Kari B on 12/11/02 at 10:56 (102710)

Hi, I would love to have that recipe Necee!! Thanks everyone for the wonderful recipes! I've been writing them down and gonna try em! MMMMMMMMMMM its making me hungry!! LOL!
Kari

Re: roast...

Suzanne D on 12/12/02 at 17:09 (102840)

I wouldn't know how to make a Yankee anything :-), but we do like roasts. I usually buy a rump roast or sirloin tip roast I think it is called. (Mama always said the ones that had the strings tied around them were the best ~ whatever cut that is!)

I pour a can of Campbell's French Onion Soup over the meat and bake it at 350 for about an hour and a half. Then I add cut up potatoes and carrots and cook it another hour. I have cooked in the crock pot and the meat was really falling apart. My husband didn't like it quite that tender, so I stick to cooking it in the oven.

Suzanne :-)

Necee on 12/10/02 at 00:01 (102484)

Well, it's going to take a yankee to answer that one Kari. Now if you want to know about bar-be-que, enchiladas, chili, or sweet tater pie, then I could help ya out.
I've had tasty and tender pot roast, cooked it many times myself, the trick is to cook it slow, preferrebly in a crock pot.
Good luck!

Happy trails...

Necee

Kari B on 12/10/02 at 00:47 (102485)

Necee.... Ok, I do have a question for ya about the enchiladas... I make them myself, but would love to hear another recipe for them! I have this problem with getting the tortillas soft enough to roll them when I put my stuffing in. Most of the time I wind up with broken tortillas. Either way they taste the same, but it would be nice to be able to get that one thing right!! Thanks a million!
Kari

Sheila S on 12/10/02 at 05:30 (102494)

Hi Kari, any cut of beef will do, the trick is to cook it slowly in a crock pot (restaurants probably use a pressure cooker). Put all the veggies you like in a crock pot, put meat on top, add about 4 cups of beef broth, season to taste, and cook about 11 hours on low setting. Then take beef out, add either flour mixture with water or corn starch (to thicken) and cook on high for about an hour till gravy thickens.

Then you will have a melt in your mouth, falling apart, tender and juicy Pot Roast. =)

(by the way, chicken breast is delicious cooked just like this but with chicken broth instead. Reduce cooking time to about 8 hours)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 07:22 (102502)

If you just put them briefly in a warm/hot frying pan and then flip them, the heat will soften them up... at least that is what I do. I don't know if that works with corn tortillas because I usually use flour.

Carole C

Julie on 12/10/02 at 07:35 (102506)

Good morning, Carole! (well, afternoon here).

I was SO sorry to learn that you aren't part of the G8 Klik. Never mind. We might speak to you all the same :))

Sharon W on 12/10/02 at 07:47 (102509)

Kari,

I had always done the same thing as Carole, until a good friend of mine (who is Mexican) showed me how SHE softens the corn tortillas to make enchiladas -- she puts enchilada sauce in a small frying pan, warms it, and then briefly soaks each tortilla in it (a few moments on each side). Softest and yummiest enchiladas you can imagine!

Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 07:48 (102511)

Gosh thank you! I do appreciate it. Now I can participate in the discussions just as though I was in the G8 clique. (grin)

Carole C

Sheila S on 12/10/02 at 07:57 (102516)

It works for corn tortillas - you just need a little oil in the pan to lightly fry them.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/02 at 07:59 (102518)

When I make enchiladas, I cover them with the sauce anyway so I don't think I'd notice whether or not I'd used it in warming up the tortillas beforehand. That does sound nice if they'd be dry otherwise, though!

Carole C

Re: enchiladas

Sharon W on 12/10/02 at 08:14 (102527)

Carole,

I always had, too, but the initial soaking in enchilada sauce DOES seem to make a difference.

All this talk about enchiladas is making me hungry... maybe my family will have them for dinner tonight!

Sharon

Re: Pot Roast

Kathy G on 12/10/02 at 09:10 (102532)

Kari,

Gosh, I haven't made one in ages! I decided that it wasn't a very healthy recipie because of all the fat in it. I use a pressure cooker and a cheap cut of beef, usually the 'higher grade' of Chuck, about 4 pounds. Let's see, this is one of my mother's recipes so I don't have it in writing.

Heat up a bit of oil in the pan. When it's hot, brown the meat on all sides. (This is an important step) It'll take a while but is worth it.

Now, you can do the rest in two different ways. You can cook the meat separately and add the vegetables when it's almost done. Or you can cook the vegetables and meat at the same time. If you cook it separately, you add a little salt and pepper and one cup of water. Cook it 25 minutes, with the pressure regulator rocking slowly. Let pressure drop of its own accord. Now add the vegetables, usually I just use whole carrots and potatoes cut in half. You can also put in whole small onions. Put the cover back on and let it cook for another 10 minutes.

The easier way, but it can lead to mushier vegetables, is to put everything in at once and cook it all for 35 minutes. Actually, the vegetaables come out tastier that way but on occasion, the carrots do come out a bit too soft.

Thicken the gravy with some Wondra flour or cornstarch.

Enjoy!

I'll bet you can make it with a better grade of meat but because my mother never did, I never did!

I use a Presto pressuer cooker but my sister says it will work in a crock pot. I just don't have one.

I hope everyone, particularly Elliot, will enjoy this recipe!!

Sheila S on 12/10/02 at 10:00 (102537)

I hadn't thought of soaking them in the sauce.... how brilliant!! . I bet they could also be steamed...

You know, my grandad used to make enchilladas this way, you might try it, and you don't have to bake them... they were delicious!!

He'd make sauce in one pan (home-made too!), fry up beef with onions and seasonings in another pan, and lightly fry tortillas in another.

He layered them on individual plates (we all stood in line! lol)... tortilla, meat, sauce, grated cheese, tortilla, and so on. Like a stack of pancakes....WUNderful!!!!!

.......now I think I'm off the store for some enchillada sauce and tortillas (never could master his homemade sauce) - my tummy's grumbling.

Necee on 12/11/02 at 00:49 (102665)

Kari, you have gotten some great ideas for softening tortillas. What I do is moisten a couple of paper towels, then place a few tortillas in between them and heat in the microwave for only a few seconds.
I have this wonderful recipe for chicken enchiladas, but you don't put the cheese etc, inside the rolled tortillas you break the tortillas into pieces and just make a big casserole......its Soooo...good!!!
All this talk about food and I'm on a diet!!!!

Happy trails.....

Necee

Sharon W on 12/11/02 at 07:06 (102674)

Necee,

Your chicken enchiladas sound WONDERFUL!

Sharon

Kari B on 12/11/02 at 10:56 (102710)

Hi, I would love to have that recipe Necee!! Thanks everyone for the wonderful recipes! I've been writing them down and gonna try em! MMMMMMMMMMM its making me hungry!! LOL!
Kari

Re: roast...

Suzanne D on 12/12/02 at 17:09 (102840)

I wouldn't know how to make a Yankee anything :-), but we do like roasts. I usually buy a rump roast or sirloin tip roast I think it is called. (Mama always said the ones that had the strings tied around them were the best ~ whatever cut that is!)

I pour a can of Campbell's French Onion Soup over the meat and bake it at 350 for about an hour and a half. Then I add cut up potatoes and carrots and cook it another hour. I have cooked in the crock pot and the meat was really falling apart. My husband didn't like it quite that tender, so I stick to cooking it in the oven.

Suzanne :-)