Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Clarification..... (Julie) =)

Posted by Sheila S on 12/10/02 at 09:41 (102535)

Ok Julie, gotcha. What I was agreeing with was your points a) and b). Poverty and inability to hire a slick lawyer (which goes back to what I said in the first place - it's green, not black or white); and that there are still more black people than white people living in poverty (however! only 6% more than white ** see below).

The rest I don't agree with. =) But I can agree to disagree. It almost sounds like racism is more prevalent in British cities than in America, and perhaps it is.

It's my opinion that racism continues today only because of statements like the one made that started this discussion. (Keeping in mind the exception of the very small percentage that were raised to be extremely racist by extremely racist parents, as in KKK, etc.). I have lived all over the US, from Los Angeles, California to West Virginia, so my experience may not be 'expert' but it isn't just a one-horse town in Virginia.

Will America FOREVER see a white victim and say 'but if they'd been black...', AND vice versa? (NOT that Winona was a victim, good grief. I speak of people in general!) Will all 'other-than-white-american' people forEVER be using their heritage as a weapon and crutch instead of a victory to bolster their courage and strength to move on and up????

None of our ancestors were originally from America, unless we are Indian, anyway. Every single country and every single race has been discriminated against by another. And every one has overcome their heritage (clarification - I'm not talking about poor countries who are still struggling) EXCEPT the original Indians of America. They lost it all and never regained what they lost nor their former freedom. Now, THAT is the only group who could, and perhaps should, have felt discriminated against - up until very recently. However, today, even they have more than equal opportunity to rise above and succeed. More so than the rest of us Americans, because the government has instituted a whole slew of assistance programs for those of Indian decent - that most other people are not even aware of.

Some people choose to turn any color-mixed situation into a racial issue, and my feelings are that rarely IS race the issue anymore. Money, or poverty may be the issue, but race isn't. Which leads to the next point....

Is poverty, as a general rule, a matter of choice or circumstance? What is the difference between those black or white people who are born in poverty and rise above and now hold major positions in professions such as legal, medical, financial, etc. etc. ....... and those who do not?

It's interesting that our 2000-2001 Census shows the following (but who noticed??) --
Of the total number below Poverty level (which is 11.7% in the US): 17% white; 23% black; 26% Indian; Hispanic 22% and Asian 10%

And what people REALLY don't notice:
Of those that ARE below Poverty level: only 11% are native-born Americans. 16% are foreign born and of THAT 16%, 10% are naturalized citizens and 19.7% are not citizens at all. (What I don't know, is why the numbers don't total 100% here.)

more info is avialable here: http://www.census.gov/hhes/poverty/poverty01/table1.pdf

These statistics rather blow alot of theories right out of the water. But the media ignores this information when choosing to create propaganda and further it's own agenda.

(If you wanna go a step further, do homeless people choose to be homeless or is there truly no home for them?) I work in this field and have 22 years experience to answer this question...but I'll withhold since no one may be interested. And everyone is probably very bored with my soapbox anyway. Mmmm taboo subject here, isn't it?

Grief...the fire lit under me is gonna burn my britches, I feel flames rising!! We all have our soapboxes, don't we? I appreciate reading everyone's opinions here. I better kick my butt into gear...haven't gotta a bloomin' thing done today.... LOL

S

Re: Clarification..... (Julie) =)

pala on 12/10/02 at 10:03 (102538)

i think there is plenty of racism here still. i live in an afro american neighborhood. when i moved over from a white neigborhood i was amazed to find that i was treated with unbelievable contempt and rudeness from officials and representatives. when i could not understand why my phone lines were lousy i was told by phone co. that my neighborhood has unimproved un kept up phone lines. when i expressed outrage that i'd never experienced bad phone lines in twenty years of living in white atlanata she actually said then why do you even want to live in this neighborhood. i could go on and on.... it is not only the big racism that afro americans have to deal with . it is continual smaller assaults on dignity all day long. the library here is pitiful. three miles away in white neigborhood library is all but lined with gold. equal education my white....posterior.

Re: Clarification....

Sheila S on 12/10/02 at 10:11 (102539)

Pala, don't you also have poor white neighborhoods with similar problems? One must also take into account a particular city, as in Atlanta, Richmond, etc. where the population disbursement doesn't exactly fit the national trend. We have both 'white' and 'black' poor neighborhoods; each having similar problems. (How is it a neighborhood becomes predominantly one color, anyway, I wonder??)

pala on 12/10/02 at 10:16 (102541)

if any of us think govt. statistics tell the truth then try living on the rda of vitamin c. . indigenous americans (indians) . have you ever seen some of the contidions on some of the reservations? makes the third world look like the hilton. shacks made of uranium mining leftovers. after we carted them on to what we thought was useless land, we then exposed them to uranium as we mined it under their living rooms as they sat in their living rooms. but last i read about it the govt generously let them keep all the radioactive slag and stuff. in between grabbing all the advantages doled out to them they can relax in their uranium park and playground.

pala on 12/10/02 at 10:23 (102542)

all i ever lived in before was poor white neigborhoods sheila. phone lines fine. officials fine. treatment of me fine. libraries ok.

pala on 12/10/02 at 10:03 (102538)

i think there is plenty of racism here still. i live in an afro american neighborhood. when i moved over from a white neigborhood i was amazed to find that i was treated with unbelievable contempt and rudeness from officials and representatives. when i could not understand why my phone lines were lousy i was told by phone co. that my neighborhood has unimproved un kept up phone lines. when i expressed outrage that i'd never experienced bad phone lines in twenty years of living in white atlanata she actually said then why do you even want to live in this neighborhood. i could go on and on.... it is not only the big racism that afro americans have to deal with . it is continual smaller assaults on dignity all day long. the library here is pitiful. three miles away in white neigborhood library is all but lined with gold. equal education my white....posterior.

Sheila S on 12/10/02 at 10:11 (102539)

Pala, don't you also have poor white neighborhoods with similar problems? One must also take into account a particular city, as in Atlanta, Richmond, etc. where the population disbursement doesn't exactly fit the national trend. We have both 'white' and 'black' poor neighborhoods; each having similar problems. (How is it a neighborhood becomes predominantly one color, anyway, I wonder??)

pala on 12/10/02 at 10:16 (102541)

if any of us think govt. statistics tell the truth then try living on the rda of vitamin c. . indigenous americans (indians) . have you ever seen some of the contidions on some of the reservations? makes the third world look like the hilton. shacks made of uranium mining leftovers. after we carted them on to what we thought was useless land, we then exposed them to uranium as we mined it under their living rooms as they sat in their living rooms. but last i read about it the govt generously let them keep all the radioactive slag and stuff. in between grabbing all the advantages doled out to them they can relax in their uranium park and playground.

pala on 12/10/02 at 10:23 (102542)

all i ever lived in before was poor white neigborhoods sheila. phone lines fine. officials fine. treatment of me fine. libraries ok.