Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Platform Shoes?

Posted by Anna on 12/10/02 at 10:41 (102547)

Since my foot pain has started, I am finding that my feet begin to really hurt when I wear my favorite clogs and platform boots or shoes. I have a feeling I am going to have to give up wearing these types of shoes.Is it better to wear low heeled shoes? I am new to this foot pain prob( only a few months with the last few weeks being the worst) so I am sorry if I seem to ask silly questions.
Anna

Re: Platform Shoes?

Kathy G on 12/10/02 at 17:34 (102604)

Hi Anna,

No question is silly. If you read the Heel Pain Book that is provided here by Scott, and kind of peruse the postings, you'll see that the types of shoes that are most comfortable varies from person to person. Certainly, I don't think anyone would recommend platform shoes but there are some people who have found the Dansko clogs to be comfortable. And I would say the majority of people are most comfortable in Birkenstocks. I personally have worn nothing but running shoes for about the last five years and I have had orthotics for them during the last three.

I know that flat shoes are usually not recommended but again, it depends on the type of discomfort you're experiencing and what works for your foot. Do you have a pair of flatter but not totally flat shoes in your closet you could try? Do you ever switch over to running shoes at the end of the day or over the weekend. Does that bring any relief?

You are smart to seek advice early on and not let the pain go. If conservative methods don't work, you might be better off to go to a Podiatrist and nip it in the bud.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get lots more posts who have many more ideas!

carmen h on 12/16/02 at 18:54 (103343)

Anna I replied to you extensively on the dr.'s message board message you posted on the other day.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/17/02 at 08:43 (103384)

That is not a silly question. A silly question is when my wife asks, 'when are you going to take me on a cruise?' Now thats a silly question. Just kidding.

My response is...if it hurts, dont do it. I see many many people that end up having to change their footwear to relieve their foot pain. The bad thing is, I see many female office professionals that cannot wear tennis shoes to work. That is when depth shoes come into play. It does not have to be ugly, even though most seem to be. I would speak with a doc or C.Ped about what would be right for you.

Double check your insurance. Most of the plans I take will pay for extra depth shoes. It can not hurt to find out.
Richard

Kathy G on 12/10/02 at 17:34 (102604)

Hi Anna,

No question is silly. If you read the Heel Pain Book that is provided here by Scott, and kind of peruse the postings, you'll see that the types of shoes that are most comfortable varies from person to person. Certainly, I don't think anyone would recommend platform shoes but there are some people who have found the Dansko clogs to be comfortable. And I would say the majority of people are most comfortable in Birkenstocks. I personally have worn nothing but running shoes for about the last five years and I have had orthotics for them during the last three.

I know that flat shoes are usually not recommended but again, it depends on the type of discomfort you're experiencing and what works for your foot. Do you have a pair of flatter but not totally flat shoes in your closet you could try? Do you ever switch over to running shoes at the end of the day or over the weekend. Does that bring any relief?

You are smart to seek advice early on and not let the pain go. If conservative methods don't work, you might be better off to go to a Podiatrist and nip it in the bud.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get lots more posts who have many more ideas!

carmen h on 12/16/02 at 18:54 (103343)

Anna I replied to you extensively on the dr.'s message board message you posted on the other day.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/17/02 at 08:43 (103384)

That is not a silly question. A silly question is when my wife asks, 'when are you going to take me on a cruise?' Now thats a silly question. Just kidding.

My response is...if it hurts, dont do it. I see many many people that end up having to change their footwear to relieve their foot pain. The bad thing is, I see many female office professionals that cannot wear tennis shoes to work. That is when depth shoes come into play. It does not have to be ugly, even though most seem to be. I would speak with a doc or C.Ped about what would be right for you.

Double check your insurance. Most of the plans I take will pay for extra depth shoes. It can not hurt to find out.
Richard