Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Useful information

Posted by Pauline on 12/10/02 at 17:18 (102601)

A simple explaination for all of us to remember and all owed to the Cow Pie.

It is important to distinguish between radiation and radioactive material. Radioactive material is constantly changing, or decaying, from one element into another until it reaches a non-radioactive form, such as, stable lead. Radioactive material emits radiation when it decays. Think of a cow pie in a pasture. The cow pie is like radioactive material. The aroma is like radiation. Smelling a cow pie does not make you become one. Being irradiated does not make you radioactive. But if you step in the cow pie or radioactive material, you are contaminated.

Re: Useful information

nancy s. on 12/10/02 at 18:10 (102613)

well thank god i never stepped in a cow pie (and necee did not send me one, either). i sure have smelled them (not up close on purpose), and i have been irradiated, but despite these events it looks like i may well live forever. if so, i hope i become sliquer, triquier, and more clique-worthy, and i hope you all do too. let us all shape up now for the infinite future.
nancy

wendyn on 12/10/02 at 22:31 (102655)

I missed some posts today...you have lost me on this one.

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 08:19 (102683)

wendy, i've never understood how you can read new posts in reverse order anyhow. don't you get just a little mixed up? how come you don't use 'view all'? they're still out of context, but at least they're in chronological order! but maybe you're not seeking logic.

nancy

Julie on 12/11/02 at 08:32 (102686)

I've been wondering too, Wendy. I use the 'reverse' only when I've pushed the wrong button and lost all the 'view all' messages. I find it terribly confusing!

Re: "reverse"

Carole C in NOLA on 12/11/02 at 09:12 (102693)

I go to two or three of my favorite forums, and then I scan through the 'reverse' to see what other forums may have recent interesting posts. But then I go to that forum and read the thread that was interesting, there.

Carole C

wendyn on 12/11/02 at 10:03 (102700)

I don't know why I read them backwards.

I just hit the view all messages in reverse - and I read. Someimes I'll view the whole thread if I get confused.

I read magazines backwards too.

Julie on 12/11/02 at 11:26 (102718)

That explains it, Wendy.

Bet you do a beautiful headstand!

Pauline on 12/11/02 at 13:34 (102730)

Stored knowledge is a valuable tool. During the holidays when radiation questions come up, as they usually do, you can always throw out this bit of information. It also makes for interesting small talk at stuffy cocktail parties.

Those traveling for the holidays may even want to pass this on to airport security guards. Who knows it might just help speed you through the line.

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 15:52 (102738)

pauline, will you stop cracking me up? if i laugh too hard after 3 p.m. i have trouble getting to sleep at night.

i'm very happy to have this useful information, for radiation questions do come up every year at holiday time with my family. we were afraid we were the only ones discussing this crucial issue.

truth be told, i am very tempted to take a cow pie to the gathering for a certain snide sister-in-law to step in, but some duct tape for the mouth if it becomes mean would be more subtle and less unappetizing.

nancy

wendyn on 12/11/02 at 17:24 (102751)

Okay Pauline.

You are showing a whole new side of you.

I still laugh about the paper cup and bottle of water in the elevator.

That WAS you wasn't it?

john h on 12/11/02 at 18:15 (102757)

Like in many traditional southern states we have an annual cow pie throwing contest. Who can throw one the fartherest?

Pauline on 12/11/02 at 19:16 (102771)

Yes it's me, and I've been lucky enough to be called for jury duty on the 5th floor of the county building. Right now I can't go anywhere because my white count is too high and I have 6 more weeks of healing from my surgery.

Hopefully they will move me to a later time. I'm ready to serve, but I'm afraid when I'm interviewed and tell them I can tell if a person is guilty just by their looks, but prefer to confirm it by feeling the bumps on their heads they won't want to use me. I can't imagine why because I'm 12 for 12 at the local police station. Just one way I give back to the community.

JudyS on 12/12/02 at 10:40 (102815)

Nancy - I have one of those kinds of sisters-in-law - can I borrow a cow pie from you? ;)

Sister-in-law story of the week: We gathered at her home for Thanksgiving. Some of us were sitting on the floor around a coffee table with our dinner plates on the table. She has a newish and very chic house on a canyon. Except it's small and lacks warmth due to her minimalist style so isn't the best spot for a big gathering. Anyway, I made a motion towards a large glass vase of flowers in the middle of the table to move them out of everyone's line of sight and she just about had a cow - turns out she'd just purchased it in Italy for over $700! I certainly felt, for a moment, like a 5-year-old being told 'no'.

nancy s. on 12/12/02 at 16:53 (102837)

any sister-in-law who can afford a $700 vase should be mailing out weekly checks to the rest of the family!

this particular sister-in-law of mine is a cold, judgmental sourpuss. i don't care anymore how she treats me, but she holds it against my soon-to-be-82 father that he can't act like a 42-year-old grandfather to her two little girls. she sneers at him if he buys an inappropriate present for them, and is disgusted when he can't hear them well or keep his balance when one grabs his leg. she shuns him and won't even give him a hug when the family gets together -- she shakes his hand from a great distance instead! i can't believe this.

we have decided on zero tolerance this year. i've tried to transcend, and i can if it doesn't involve my parents, but this year any nastiness toward my parents will be met with a fast verbal slap.

we've all been afraid of her, because she's the mother of my only nieces and we don't want her to decide we can't see them. but enough is enough.

well my oh my, enough airing of my family's laundry here. i'm sure nearly everyone has at least one difficult family member at holiday time. we're spoiled, because we didn't used to have any -- the gathering used to be a total pleasure.

let's see, another topic, quick! well, people are going to the mall instead of coming to my shop for old presents. the good news is, it's really festive in my little place!

nancy

Nancy N on 12/12/02 at 19:12 (102848)

Your dad would have to have started having kids when we was pretty young to be able to be a 42 year-old grandfather, Nancy. What on earth kind of miracle is this woman expecting? I'm glad you've decided not to tolerate her behavior, which only leads her to believe she can get away with it and therefore to be even more brazen about her ignorance. More power to you!

john h on 12/12/02 at 19:22 (102849)

Nancy: down south a 42 year old grandmother is rather common. remember jerry lee lewis married his 13 year old cousin..

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/02 at 20:47 (102857)

My mother wouldn't let me listen to Jerry Lee Lewis because he was sinful and presumably I would be corrupted by his sinful music. My grandmother said he was going to Hell and his music would go with him. Neither of them told me about him marrying his 13 year old cousin, though.

*** Goodness, Gracious, Great Balls of FIRE! *** :)

I love that music! Guess there's no hope for me. LOL

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 05:31 (102883)

thank you, nancy -- and my dad will probably thank you too after the holiday. he's been upset all year long over last christmas, and i've been kicking myself this whole time for sticking to politeness instead of telling her to shape up, at least for the few hours we're all together. it's hard for me to do this! but this time i won't hesitate.
n.

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 05:33 (102884)

Yeah, the 13 year-old cousin thing is pretty icky. Though, I would imagine that it's usually the grandmothers who are young in those situations, and not the grandfathers. Seems to be much more socially acceptable to marry someone old enough to be your dad than someone old enough to be your mother.

JudyS on 12/13/02 at 12:19 (102935)

oh to be in your neighborhood and do all my Christmas shopping (for myself..) in your shop! That sounds as heavenly as my electric blanket is on a cold night!
I like your 'zero tolerance' policy for this year but I surprise myself because I've relaxed my own attitude about the 'withches-in-law' (did I actually SAY that?) this year. Life is too short and I recognize that they are the best that they can be. I'm so amazed that John is a sib because they are as different as night and day.
Anyway, I know you'll spoil your dad that much more and the girls will grow up and never forget who they really like to visit.

john h on 12/14/02 at 09:36 (103052)

Nancy from all I am reading these days the older women are after they younger men. Life doe change.

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 09:41 (103056)

Yeah, it's changing, but it's changing REALLY slowly. And since women tend to mature sooner than men (not a dig, just a fact, as I am given to understand it), it does make a bit more sense to pair up that way. That, and the biological issues. But it still creeps me out a bit to see Harrison Ford, who is my dad's age, in a movie with someone like Anne Heche, who's the same age as I am.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 10:22 (103070)

Well, Frank (who is living in CT but will be back in town over Christmas) is five or six years younger than me. Anyone much younger than that brings out more maternal feelings than anything else. It just doesn't work (at least for me).

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 10:39 (103073)

I can't go much more than a year or two younger than me--it just seems to weird to me. Granted, at 31, it doesn't take much more than a year or two to make a big difference in maturity. The current prospect has 8 years on me, which is plenty, methinks.

Julie on 12/14/02 at 12:05 (103083)

It does make more sense the other way around, Nancy, particularly as women's life span is longer.

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:40 (103125)

i know what you mean, nancy. and doesn't it really creep you out when it's a bad movie to boot?

it's pretty hard to generalize about this stuff. i've seen vast differences in ages work well in relationships, both ways. i went with guys four or five years younger than i was (mistakes), and with guys eight to eleven years older than i was. i married one five years older. we were both late bloomers and seemed to reach the same spot of maturity at the same time. it's working out well, except that now i learn here on this very board that he's due for some senior citizen discounts and i'm not.

one of the best relationships i know is a couple of gay men, friends of mine; one is 48 and the other is 68. they've been together for 28 years, are as different as night and day, and wouldn't have it any other way.

nancy

nancy s. on 12/10/02 at 18:10 (102613)

well thank god i never stepped in a cow pie (and necee did not send me one, either). i sure have smelled them (not up close on purpose), and i have been irradiated, but despite these events it looks like i may well live forever. if so, i hope i become sliquer, triquier, and more clique-worthy, and i hope you all do too. let us all shape up now for the infinite future.
nancy

wendyn on 12/10/02 at 22:31 (102655)

I missed some posts today...you have lost me on this one.

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 08:19 (102683)

wendy, i've never understood how you can read new posts in reverse order anyhow. don't you get just a little mixed up? how come you don't use 'view all'? they're still out of context, but at least they're in chronological order! but maybe you're not seeking logic.

nancy

Julie on 12/11/02 at 08:32 (102686)

I've been wondering too, Wendy. I use the 'reverse' only when I've pushed the wrong button and lost all the 'view all' messages. I find it terribly confusing!

Re: "reverse"

Carole C in NOLA on 12/11/02 at 09:12 (102693)

I go to two or three of my favorite forums, and then I scan through the 'reverse' to see what other forums may have recent interesting posts. But then I go to that forum and read the thread that was interesting, there.

Carole C

wendyn on 12/11/02 at 10:03 (102700)

I don't know why I read them backwards.

I just hit the view all messages in reverse - and I read. Someimes I'll view the whole thread if I get confused.

I read magazines backwards too.

Julie on 12/11/02 at 11:26 (102718)

That explains it, Wendy.

Bet you do a beautiful headstand!

Pauline on 12/11/02 at 13:34 (102730)

Stored knowledge is a valuable tool. During the holidays when radiation questions come up, as they usually do, you can always throw out this bit of information. It also makes for interesting small talk at stuffy cocktail parties.

Those traveling for the holidays may even want to pass this on to airport security guards. Who knows it might just help speed you through the line.

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 15:52 (102738)

pauline, will you stop cracking me up? if i laugh too hard after 3 p.m. i have trouble getting to sleep at night.

i'm very happy to have this useful information, for radiation questions do come up every year at holiday time with my family. we were afraid we were the only ones discussing this crucial issue.

truth be told, i am very tempted to take a cow pie to the gathering for a certain snide sister-in-law to step in, but some duct tape for the mouth if it becomes mean would be more subtle and less unappetizing.

nancy

wendyn on 12/11/02 at 17:24 (102751)

Okay Pauline.

You are showing a whole new side of you.

I still laugh about the paper cup and bottle of water in the elevator.

That WAS you wasn't it?

john h on 12/11/02 at 18:15 (102757)

Like in many traditional southern states we have an annual cow pie throwing contest. Who can throw one the fartherest?

Pauline on 12/11/02 at 19:16 (102771)

Yes it's me, and I've been lucky enough to be called for jury duty on the 5th floor of the county building. Right now I can't go anywhere because my white count is too high and I have 6 more weeks of healing from my surgery.

Hopefully they will move me to a later time. I'm ready to serve, but I'm afraid when I'm interviewed and tell them I can tell if a person is guilty just by their looks, but prefer to confirm it by feeling the bumps on their heads they won't want to use me. I can't imagine why because I'm 12 for 12 at the local police station. Just one way I give back to the community.

JudyS on 12/12/02 at 10:40 (102815)

Nancy - I have one of those kinds of sisters-in-law - can I borrow a cow pie from you? ;)

Sister-in-law story of the week: We gathered at her home for Thanksgiving. Some of us were sitting on the floor around a coffee table with our dinner plates on the table. She has a newish and very chic house on a canyon. Except it's small and lacks warmth due to her minimalist style so isn't the best spot for a big gathering. Anyway, I made a motion towards a large glass vase of flowers in the middle of the table to move them out of everyone's line of sight and she just about had a cow - turns out she'd just purchased it in Italy for over $700! I certainly felt, for a moment, like a 5-year-old being told 'no'.

nancy s. on 12/12/02 at 16:53 (102837)

any sister-in-law who can afford a $700 vase should be mailing out weekly checks to the rest of the family!

this particular sister-in-law of mine is a cold, judgmental sourpuss. i don't care anymore how she treats me, but she holds it against my soon-to-be-82 father that he can't act like a 42-year-old grandfather to her two little girls. she sneers at him if he buys an inappropriate present for them, and is disgusted when he can't hear them well or keep his balance when one grabs his leg. she shuns him and won't even give him a hug when the family gets together -- she shakes his hand from a great distance instead! i can't believe this.

we have decided on zero tolerance this year. i've tried to transcend, and i can if it doesn't involve my parents, but this year any nastiness toward my parents will be met with a fast verbal slap.

we've all been afraid of her, because she's the mother of my only nieces and we don't want her to decide we can't see them. but enough is enough.

well my oh my, enough airing of my family's laundry here. i'm sure nearly everyone has at least one difficult family member at holiday time. we're spoiled, because we didn't used to have any -- the gathering used to be a total pleasure.

let's see, another topic, quick! well, people are going to the mall instead of coming to my shop for old presents. the good news is, it's really festive in my little place!

nancy

Nancy N on 12/12/02 at 19:12 (102848)

Your dad would have to have started having kids when we was pretty young to be able to be a 42 year-old grandfather, Nancy. What on earth kind of miracle is this woman expecting? I'm glad you've decided not to tolerate her behavior, which only leads her to believe she can get away with it and therefore to be even more brazen about her ignorance. More power to you!

john h on 12/12/02 at 19:22 (102849)

Nancy: down south a 42 year old grandmother is rather common. remember jerry lee lewis married his 13 year old cousin..

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/02 at 20:47 (102857)

My mother wouldn't let me listen to Jerry Lee Lewis because he was sinful and presumably I would be corrupted by his sinful music. My grandmother said he was going to Hell and his music would go with him. Neither of them told me about him marrying his 13 year old cousin, though.

*** Goodness, Gracious, Great Balls of FIRE! *** :)

I love that music! Guess there's no hope for me. LOL

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 05:31 (102883)

thank you, nancy -- and my dad will probably thank you too after the holiday. he's been upset all year long over last christmas, and i've been kicking myself this whole time for sticking to politeness instead of telling her to shape up, at least for the few hours we're all together. it's hard for me to do this! but this time i won't hesitate.
n.

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 05:33 (102884)

Yeah, the 13 year-old cousin thing is pretty icky. Though, I would imagine that it's usually the grandmothers who are young in those situations, and not the grandfathers. Seems to be much more socially acceptable to marry someone old enough to be your dad than someone old enough to be your mother.

JudyS on 12/13/02 at 12:19 (102935)

oh to be in your neighborhood and do all my Christmas shopping (for myself..) in your shop! That sounds as heavenly as my electric blanket is on a cold night!
I like your 'zero tolerance' policy for this year but I surprise myself because I've relaxed my own attitude about the 'withches-in-law' (did I actually SAY that?) this year. Life is too short and I recognize that they are the best that they can be. I'm so amazed that John is a sib because they are as different as night and day.
Anyway, I know you'll spoil your dad that much more and the girls will grow up and never forget who they really like to visit.

john h on 12/14/02 at 09:36 (103052)

Nancy from all I am reading these days the older women are after they younger men. Life doe change.

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 09:41 (103056)

Yeah, it's changing, but it's changing REALLY slowly. And since women tend to mature sooner than men (not a dig, just a fact, as I am given to understand it), it does make a bit more sense to pair up that way. That, and the biological issues. But it still creeps me out a bit to see Harrison Ford, who is my dad's age, in a movie with someone like Anne Heche, who's the same age as I am.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 10:22 (103070)

Well, Frank (who is living in CT but will be back in town over Christmas) is five or six years younger than me. Anyone much younger than that brings out more maternal feelings than anything else. It just doesn't work (at least for me).

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 10:39 (103073)

I can't go much more than a year or two younger than me--it just seems to weird to me. Granted, at 31, it doesn't take much more than a year or two to make a big difference in maturity. The current prospect has 8 years on me, which is plenty, methinks.

Julie on 12/14/02 at 12:05 (103083)

It does make more sense the other way around, Nancy, particularly as women's life span is longer.

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:40 (103125)

i know what you mean, nancy. and doesn't it really creep you out when it's a bad movie to boot?

it's pretty hard to generalize about this stuff. i've seen vast differences in ages work well in relationships, both ways. i went with guys four or five years younger than i was (mistakes), and with guys eight to eleven years older than i was. i married one five years older. we were both late bloomers and seemed to reach the same spot of maturity at the same time. it's working out well, except that now i learn here on this very board that he's due for some senior citizen discounts and i'm not.

one of the best relationships i know is a couple of gay men, friends of mine; one is 48 and the other is 68. they've been together for 28 years, are as different as night and day, and wouldn't have it any other way.

nancy