Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Rare Disease - Freibergs Disease

Posted by Harold E on 12/10/02 at 17:39 (102605)

Have excrutiating pain under my foot - diagnosed with
Freibers Disease - treatment - cortozone shots every 4-6 months - my question is - how safe is the use of cortozone??

Sincerely,
Harold E.

Re: Rare Disease - Freibergs Disease

Harold E on 12/10/02 at 17:47 (102609)

I have been diagnosed with Freibergs Disease ( extreme pain under the foot ) I am being treated with cortozone shots every 5 - 6 months - is this method of treatment safe?

Sincerely,
HAROLD E.

Dr. Z on 12/10/02 at 18:33 (102617)

Bad idea. It can and has dislocated the joint. I would have an orthosis made for this problem . Surgery is usually the final choice. Types of foot surgery include joint remolding, joint re-loction and possible new implant

David G. on 12/11/02 at 08:10 (102679)

What is Freibergs disease?

Dr. Z on 12/11/02 at 09:59 (102699)

It is specific to the 2nd metatarsal joint. It is where the blood supply to the bone is damaged and causes arthritic type changes to the joint. There are actually stages to this condition

pala on 12/11/02 at 11:04 (102712)

harold welcom to this board. sorry you have a rare disease. that can make a person feel isolated. but we all share foot pain here and you will meet caring people here. check out the social board if you need support. good luck.

Ed davis, DPM on 12/11/02 at 16:22 (102743)

Not really all that rare. Definitely consider orthotic treatment as mentioned by Dr. Z.
Ed

Harold E on 12/12/02 at 01:23 (102788)

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Please could you be more specific about the stages that you mentioned.

Many thanks,
Harold E.

Harold E on 12/10/02 at 17:47 (102609)

I have been diagnosed with Freibergs Disease ( extreme pain under the foot ) I am being treated with cortozone shots every 5 - 6 months - is this method of treatment safe?

Sincerely,
HAROLD E.

Dr. Z on 12/10/02 at 18:33 (102617)

Bad idea. It can and has dislocated the joint. I would have an orthosis made for this problem . Surgery is usually the final choice. Types of foot surgery include joint remolding, joint re-loction and possible new implant

David G. on 12/11/02 at 08:10 (102679)

What is Freibergs disease?

Dr. Z on 12/11/02 at 09:59 (102699)

It is specific to the 2nd metatarsal joint. It is where the blood supply to the bone is damaged and causes arthritic type changes to the joint. There are actually stages to this condition

pala on 12/11/02 at 11:04 (102712)

harold welcom to this board. sorry you have a rare disease. that can make a person feel isolated. but we all share foot pain here and you will meet caring people here. check out the social board if you need support. good luck.

Ed davis, DPM on 12/11/02 at 16:22 (102743)

Not really all that rare. Definitely consider orthotic treatment as mentioned by Dr. Z.
Ed

Harold E on 12/12/02 at 01:23 (102788)

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Please could you be more specific about the stages that you mentioned.

Many thanks,
Harold E.

Alyson G on 4/18/06 at 17:44 (197670)

hello,
I too have recently been diagnosed with freibergs disease although I am only in my teen years. I was wondering if anyone knew of any treatments that are used to cure this disease.
Thank you

Gemma M on 5/01/07 at 09:47 (228912)

Hello i went to the hopistal on saturday with a bad toe and foot didn't think to much about it to be honest. When the doc seen my x-ray he couldn't understand why my foot was bad because nothing was wrong with it, so they told me to come back today to have a check up with different doc which i did, and he diagnosed my with freibergs disease. I am only 23 and haven't got a clue what or how i got it could someone give a advice. thank you.

Ashley on 7/13/07 at 17:53 (232934)

Help

millie g on 8/01/07 at 23:27 (233850)

I've been living with this condition for about 5 years. I'm having a lot of problems getting help with proper treatment. One podiatrist gives steriod shots (one per week for 3-4 weeks.) Also, he prescribed pain meds, then sent me to a orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the foot. The second dr. did surgery, but it has not been successful. She said there was nothing there to work with. She just cleaned it up, removed a small portion of the bone and that was it. I don't know whether to go back to the first dr. since he did help relieve my pain ( which I would describe as sevier.) He says the surgeon should have done a joint replacement, the surgeron said a joint replacement wouldn't help. Where should I go from here? I don't know who to believe. HELP I don't want to rely on medication just to do the things I have to do every day...like walk.

Donna on 8/15/07 at 13:39 (234441)

My daugther was diagnosed today with Freibergs and is planning on seeing an Orthopedic surgeon for more information. She is a very active/athletic 12 year old who has complained about moderate pain in her second toe. During a physical my Dr. had us get an XRAY in case there was some problem with a inappropriate healing of a prior injury. We can't recall any injury to this toe. She is in Basketball, Volleyball, Track, Softball, and Cheerleading. I have been told I need to tell her to stop all physical activities. I would like to understand what happens if we let her continue? Is there a range to this disease, or does it overtime ALWAYS get to a point if ignored to be extreme pain? Anything you can provide to us as advise is important. I intend until we see the surgeon to limit her physical activities, but I don't know how to hold down a child like my daughter - or if I really should. Thanks for your help.

Kerry on 9/29/07 at 16:36 (236948)

Heya, My Names Kerry and im Neally 16 Years Old. Ive Just Been Diagnosed With Freibergs Disease In my Foot on my 2nd Toe Like Your Daughter.
I Got A Letter Off My Doctor (Orthopaedic Surgeon) Telling Me To Limit My Activities and not be Doing things like Playing Games. My doctor told me this could cause cramp which means ill be in mroe pain than i already am! so ive stopped doing P.e For a bit :( I have wait another 2 months before they can see what they are going to do with my silly toe! Im trying not to use my foot in the mean time incase it makes it worse resulting it to become more painful or to causing a bigger problem.

i hope i made some sense hehe..

Kerry xXx

Dr. Ed on 9/29/07 at 17:15 (236956)

Kerry:

Frieberg's disease is not rare at all. It is known as a juvenile osteochondritis (look that up on Google). Treatment may be based on the severity of the disease. Severe cases may require a period of cast. Milder cases can be treated with an orthotic that is designed to minimize weight bearing pressure on the affected metatarsal head.

Dr. Ed

Lauren E on 2/08/08 at 20:33 (242968)

Hi..my nami is Lauren and i am now 16 when i was 14 i went to the doctor with extreme foot pain, x-rays were done and that finally lead (after almost two years) to the diagnosis of freibergs. I had an operation last october where my surgeon removed and cleaned up some of the bone and replaced it with a screw. I am a very keen horse rider and have had to limit myself in riding, the op i feel hasnt reali helped...i am going to see my dr this week for another follow up..has anyone else had this kind of treatment? if so how did it help? if at all....

Lauren

Dr. Ed on 2/08/08 at 21:59 (242972)

Lauren:

Perhaps you could request that your mom or dad ask the question here since your are not legally an adult. You sound smart and we really want to help but we have to do it the right way.

Frieberg's disease is not rare. We treat it fairly regularly. The surgical treatment you describe is not clear -- perhaps your parents have more information.

Best wishes,

Dr. Ed

michelle on 2/22/08 at 15:36 (243536)

hi,i was diagnosed last april. again severe pain in my right second toe joint, loads of swelling.couldn't wear trainers let alone shoes, flip flops all the time. had a clean up & bone trim in june the relief was fabulous. the pain is on & off now but can get severe at times & swlls on a regular basis but i can wear high heels now as long as i'm sensible.my surgeon has said that if the pain gets constant again then he will remove the joint...yep leaving me with a floppy toe but no more reason for pain.that does sound a bit drastic but why replace it if you can get by without..i would have a toe bangle made so that it is splinted to my next toe & should still be able to wear what shoes i like if all goes well.

Kayleigh on 3/14/08 at 17:00 (244559)

I am 14 years old and was diagnosed with Freibergs almost 3 years ago, the doctors could not work out what the problem was, until i had a few X-rays, One year later after having medication, 3 diffrent types in shoe insoles they decided to oparate as nothing had worked, all they did in my op was file down the join part in my to to make it flat. After having this op and being of school for 1 week i only had another week left on my crutches and decided to go back to school, it was a really wet rainy day and someone knocked my over, my scar tissiue split open and was bleeding, it was so painful! but the op still didnt work, i still get alot of pain, probally even more! I would not recomend this op as it is very painful after and didnt work, perhaps its just me! Has anybody had the oporation where they remove part of the toe bone, as that might be my next stage when i go to see the doctor in May ?

natasha on 8/23/08 at 16:45 (249545)

my name is natasha
i am 14 years old..i have have friebergs disease since i was 11 years old...it has been very painful for me now... i have gone through a lot with the condition in my feet... and stil undergoing treatment...i have had a plaster cast on my legs four times in each leg which has been quite depressing for me.....anf then i was given by my consultant a aiir cast....which has been recently envented....which i then had to wear for a year....now after 2 years the doctors have just recently done a operation on one of my feet which were they have scraped the bone away to try and make the pain easier for me....i dont know weather it has worked or not but i hope it has......i would like to ask what does the second operation consist off because i wana try my best to cure it before i go to my last resort of having a stubbed toe....whicch i dont want...so if you could write back on this site and someone please tell me what it does consist of and i fyou ever want to ask me out about friebergs disease please ask

Dakota W on 10/02/08 at 07:08 (250692)

Hello,
I was dignosed wth freibergs disease, and my doctor told my mom(im only 14)that it is healing okay. Can that be true? Can it really heal perfectly in 6 months?

Sommer on 12/15/08 at 10:22 (253135)

I also have Freibergs...I was diagnosed when I was 14yrs old and am now 32. I had my 2nd metacarple joint replaced about 8yrs ago. It really helped with the paid. The ony draw back is is aches when it is cold or rainy.