Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

help with symptoms!!

Posted by sonya g on 12/10/02 at 18:51 (102623)

i need help in trying to figure out what's going on with me. my first intial dealing with heel pain was about a year ago, i had burning heel pain to both for about 2-3 weeks and then it went away on it's own. this time it's been about 4 weeks now, the burning pain in only in my right heel. the pain radiates up to about 2 inches above my ankle on all sides of my leg, and across the bottom of my foot. it hurts all day, all night. i've tried aleve, motrin, daypro, heel inserts, changing shoes, nothing seems to work. some days are worse than others, and twice i have gone a whole day without pain, other times i'm limping and dragging my leg by the end of the day. i do not experience severe heel pain in the morning when i get up, the pain is ongoing. i do not have any spurs, an xray has ruled that out. please help!!

Re: help with symptoms!!

Dr. Z on 12/10/02 at 22:05 (102650)

Any of the doctors evaluate your for TTS, lower back involvement. Any nerve testing done

sonya g on 12/12/02 at 16:20 (102833)

i haven't been to a doctor yet, i work at a hospital, so the xray was just a courtesy. i have been hesitant to see a doctor, i've heard horror stories about painful steroid injections, and painful surgical procedures, i lean towards the conservative side, so i want to try non-invasive methods first!! what is tts?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/02 at 21:49 (102863)

Sonya, doctors aren't going to give you steroid injections or do surgery if you don't want that, particularly on the first visit. The first step is to get the proper diagnosis so that you know what you are dealing with.

Many of us here have plantar fasciitis, which ultimately can cause heel spurs but also (if my memory is correct) can occur without heel spurs. But there are other painful conditions including TTS which Dr. Z mentioned.

TTS is tarsal tunnel syndrome, which as I understand it is sort of like carpal tunnel but in the ankles and it involves neurological symptoms. I don't have it so I don't know much more about it, but we have a TTS message board at this website that you can check out, and WendyN has an informational page on TTS that's available from there, I believe.

Carole C

Dr. Z on 12/10/02 at 22:05 (102650)

Any of the doctors evaluate your for TTS, lower back involvement. Any nerve testing done

sonya g on 12/12/02 at 16:20 (102833)

i haven't been to a doctor yet, i work at a hospital, so the xray was just a courtesy. i have been hesitant to see a doctor, i've heard horror stories about painful steroid injections, and painful surgical procedures, i lean towards the conservative side, so i want to try non-invasive methods first!! what is tts?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/02 at 21:49 (102863)

Sonya, doctors aren't going to give you steroid injections or do surgery if you don't want that, particularly on the first visit. The first step is to get the proper diagnosis so that you know what you are dealing with.

Many of us here have plantar fasciitis, which ultimately can cause heel spurs but also (if my memory is correct) can occur without heel spurs. But there are other painful conditions including TTS which Dr. Z mentioned.

TTS is tarsal tunnel syndrome, which as I understand it is sort of like carpal tunnel but in the ankles and it involves neurological symptoms. I don't have it so I don't know much more about it, but we have a TTS message board at this website that you can check out, and WendyN has an informational page on TTS that's available from there, I believe.

Carole C