Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthotics needed

Posted by sheila on 12/11/02 at 00:31 (102661)

Why are orthotics not covered by some insurances? It seems like orthotics are necessary like glasses.

Thanks

Re: orthotics needed

Richard, C.Ped on 12/12/02 at 09:07 (102803)

You might as well be asking why we can not find a cure for the common cold. The insurance companies that I have spoken with that do not cover state that the device is not a necessary treatment for foot conditions. WHAT?? I have had a few say that they only cover orhothics AFTER surgery. I told them that it seemed weird that they wanted to allow surgery which is quite a bit of $$$$ rather than orthotics which is much much less. I was told that it is their policy and they have to go by it. I usually end up irritating the operator with my questions in the end...lol.

I have had customers call their insurance and really get on them by saying that if their feet hurt, they would want orthotics covered.

One thing I do for my patients that have non-coverage, I ALWAYS give a discount. I could not pay that much out of my pocket, so I do not expect anyone else to.

A crazy mixed up world.
Richard, C.Ped

sheila on 12/13/02 at 04:37 (102876)

Thanks for your response, Richard.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/12/02 at 09:07 (102803)

You might as well be asking why we can not find a cure for the common cold. The insurance companies that I have spoken with that do not cover state that the device is not a necessary treatment for foot conditions. WHAT?? I have had a few say that they only cover orhothics AFTER surgery. I told them that it seemed weird that they wanted to allow surgery which is quite a bit of $$$$ rather than orthotics which is much much less. I was told that it is their policy and they have to go by it. I usually end up irritating the operator with my questions in the end...lol.

I have had customers call their insurance and really get on them by saying that if their feet hurt, they would want orthotics covered.

One thing I do for my patients that have non-coverage, I ALWAYS give a discount. I could not pay that much out of my pocket, so I do not expect anyone else to.

A crazy mixed up world.
Richard, C.Ped

sheila on 12/13/02 at 04:37 (102876)

Thanks for your response, Richard.