Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

G8

Posted by Necee on 12/11/02 at 01:51 (102666)

Does being a G8 member come with any perks? I've got lots of Frequent Poster Miles.

Happy trails...

Necee

Re: G8

john h on 12/11/02 at 18:18 (102761)

Neecee: if you are a member of the elite G8 you are allowed to use Eurodollars.

Nancy N on 12/11/02 at 21:59 (102781)

Euros are pretty cool, actually--aside from the fact that they signal the demise of the country's native currency. But while the coin's shapes and sizes are the same in each country, they all have different images on them. For instance, Mozart is on a coin in Austria--either the 1 or 2 Euro coin. So each country retains some individuality in their currency--though they'll all be mixed up to some degree since I used my German Euros in Austria this summer, and I'm sure there are plenty of other tourists and business travellers who are doing the same thing.

More than you wanted to know, I know, but I thought it was pretty cool when I was there!

Re: Euros

Julie on 12/12/02 at 06:06 (102792)

The introduction of the euro has caused lots of problems in countries whose currencies were based on small units, like Greece and Italy. For example, there are (or rather were) 350-something drachmas to one euro. So of course there has been a great deal of 'rounding up' and most consumer items have become more expensive. Tourists are complaining, of course, but the real hardship is for the local people, most of whom are low earners compared to those who work in the more prosperous countries.

The currency itself is rather nice, especially the coins (the notes are tiny and remind me of monopoly money). And yes, Nancy, they are all mixed up: in Crete I've had coins from most of the European countries. The Greek coins bear pictures of owls. But I miss the drachma and mourn its passing - the oldest currency in the world, in continuous use for thousands of years. The man who owns the minimarket in Loutro has kept one note of each denomination under the glass on his counter, and it's nice to see them.

Nancy N on 12/12/02 at 21:34 (102860)

I agree with you, Julie--the new money is cool, but I know I just can't fathom the idea of going to London and not having pounds and pence to spend. It just doesn't seem right somehow.

(BTW, two of my friends and I have officially decided to make London our Christmas destination next year, which means we can start planning now and hopefully find a really good airfare since we're starting out so early. And since the headmaster at my school used to be at the TASIS school in England, he has connections for things like summer programs. I'm meeting with their representatives tomorrow to find out what those options might be like and how they select people. So hopefully I'll be over your way this time next year, if not before!)

Julie on 12/13/02 at 03:43 (102874)

Yup - that's how I feel about not having drx to spend in Crete. It's extremely strange, getting the bill for a meal and its 8 euros instead of 3,200 drachmas. I don't like it. The Cretans, however, are philosophical about it.

Good to hear that you'll be coming this way next year - I hope you'll get a very good deal. And don't worry, there will still be pounds and pence to spend. It will be a while before we join the euro, if ever.

john h on 12/11/02 at 18:18 (102761)

Neecee: if you are a member of the elite G8 you are allowed to use Eurodollars.

Nancy N on 12/11/02 at 21:59 (102781)

Euros are pretty cool, actually--aside from the fact that they signal the demise of the country's native currency. But while the coin's shapes and sizes are the same in each country, they all have different images on them. For instance, Mozart is on a coin in Austria--either the 1 or 2 Euro coin. So each country retains some individuality in their currency--though they'll all be mixed up to some degree since I used my German Euros in Austria this summer, and I'm sure there are plenty of other tourists and business travellers who are doing the same thing.

More than you wanted to know, I know, but I thought it was pretty cool when I was there!

Julie on 12/12/02 at 06:06 (102792)

The introduction of the euro has caused lots of problems in countries whose currencies were based on small units, like Greece and Italy. For example, there are (or rather were) 350-something drachmas to one euro. So of course there has been a great deal of 'rounding up' and most consumer items have become more expensive. Tourists are complaining, of course, but the real hardship is for the local people, most of whom are low earners compared to those who work in the more prosperous countries.

The currency itself is rather nice, especially the coins (the notes are tiny and remind me of monopoly money). And yes, Nancy, they are all mixed up: in Crete I've had coins from most of the European countries. The Greek coins bear pictures of owls. But I miss the drachma and mourn its passing - the oldest currency in the world, in continuous use for thousands of years. The man who owns the minimarket in Loutro has kept one note of each denomination under the glass on his counter, and it's nice to see them.

Nancy N on 12/12/02 at 21:34 (102860)

I agree with you, Julie--the new money is cool, but I know I just can't fathom the idea of going to London and not having pounds and pence to spend. It just doesn't seem right somehow.

(BTW, two of my friends and I have officially decided to make London our Christmas destination next year, which means we can start planning now and hopefully find a really good airfare since we're starting out so early. And since the headmaster at my school used to be at the TASIS school in England, he has connections for things like summer programs. I'm meeting with their representatives tomorrow to find out what those options might be like and how they select people. So hopefully I'll be over your way this time next year, if not before!)

Julie on 12/13/02 at 03:43 (102874)

Yup - that's how I feel about not having drx to spend in Crete. It's extremely strange, getting the bill for a meal and its 8 euros instead of 3,200 drachmas. I don't like it. The Cretans, however, are philosophical about it.

Good to hear that you'll be coming this way next year - I hope you'll get a very good deal. And don't worry, there will still be pounds and pence to spend. It will be a while before we join the euro, if ever.