Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Feather trees

Posted by Necee on 12/11/02 at 01:56 (102667)

I'm looking for a feather tree, does anyone know where I can get one, at a reasonable price? Nancy S. maybe you can help me out with this one, I was told they are popular up north, and Julie what about over in your neck of the woods?
Thanks,

Happy trails...

Necee

Re: Feather trees

Julie on 12/11/02 at 08:03 (102678)

Oh goody! A new inconsequential thread. Feather Trees. This one should run and run.

Necee, what are feather trees? I've never heard of them, but maybe we just don't have them here. Come to think of it they weren't visible in the Bronx either. Or in Ohio, but I could be wrong, maybe I just didn't notice.

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 08:17 (102682)

necee, i don't know what a feather tree is either. here on the coast i don't think they'd last long . . . if they exist . . . we'd probably end up with some pretty fancy seagulls.

but if you'll describe it, i promise to keep my eyes open.

nancy

Julie on 12/11/02 at 08:33 (102687)

Nancy, do you thinque Necee may be jokquing?

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 08:40 (102689)

necee may be jokquing, but i suspect she's searyous. you know, anything and everything is available in the world today. but as we've seen from the past few months on the social board, a lot of us still need educating about most of it.

Re: Feather trees -- necee, check this out

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 08:45 (102691)

i just did a google search and found http://www.feathertrees.com

they have everything under the sun -- you wouldn't believe all the sizes, shapes, and colors of feather trees! you can order them online, necee. checkque it out! hope this helps.

nancy

Kathy G on 12/11/02 at 16:17 (102742)

Good Heavens, did you see the prices? I honestly thought it was a joke! That shows how uncouth I am! Necee, are they pretty decorated? They look kind of sparse but it may be that I'm just not used to them. They'd never work for me. We had to get an artificial tree because both my children and I are allergic to evergreens and they're also allergic to feathers.

Now see what I mean? I learn so much on this board. If it weren't for it, I would never have even known there was such a thing as a Feather Tree. Who says it's not educational?? And Nancy's mind was stimulated when she did the search.

We truly provide a useful service to all who come!

Thank you, Nancy and Necee!

PS. I wonder if Elliott knew what a feather tree was? :)

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 18:27 (102766)

kathy, thank you for saying my mind was stimulated! i wasn't sure it showed.

nancy

Re: Yes, Feather trees~~~~~no yoke!~~~~~

Necee on 12/11/02 at 23:50 (102786)

Thank ya'll so much for responding.
Nancy, and the rest of you en-telly-junt folks, I just knew ya'll would know what a feather tree was.
They aren't actually to be used as full size Christmas trees, with decorations and all, they are sparse, and mostly used as a table top decoration, nothing more.
I searched the internet and found several sites dedicated to feather trees, but the prices were outrageous! I've even thought about trying to make one myself, but.... I'm not Martha Stewart, and besides, it would take lots of feathers, and these poor chickens in Texas would get awfully cold this winter!!

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/02 at 18:29 (102846)

Necee, I thought we discussed this before but let me clarify: Yes you ARE Martha Stewart.

OK, now that we've all got that straight... :)

Carole C (who adores watching Martha Stewart on Home & Garden TV)

Necee on 12/13/02 at 00:00 (102872)

Thanks Carole......I wish I had her money!!!

Happy trails...

Necee

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 08:33 (102904)

Yes, but she may end up showing her fellow inmates how to make a decent meal out of the prison gruel!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 09:59 (102918)

I'm sure that if necessary, she would do it with STYLE... :)

Let's hope she's not guilty! I have learned so much from her shows and if she were jailed, I would miss them. Well, I would miss the more practical ones, anyway.

Carole C

JudyS on 12/13/02 at 12:21 (102936)

Carole - are you a crafty sort? Martha Stewart has a super-simple project making christmas ornaments that resemble old-fashioned ribbon candy. The great majority of her stuff is far too involved for my tiny little brain but that one looks kind of cute. I've got my son's girlfriend talked in to making them with me tomorrow.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 13:52 (102955)

That sounds neat! I'm not really very good at crafts. The episodes that I like are things like the more practical type of project like 'How to replace a window pane and do it right'. That one really saved me the other day when one of the panes of glass in the door of my kitchen cabinet felt loose, but I could see that it just needed that little splinter-like wedge thingie pushed in a little more firmly.

However, I am not ruling out that I might become better at crafts at some point in time. I have just never had the time for needlepoint or making centerpieces or wreaths and that kind of thing. But if I watch Martha enough, now that I am out of academia and have more time maybe I could pick up some crafts. Sometimes the things that most people would think are cute just leave me cold. But others do appeal to me.

Last year I really wanted a Christmas tree, but couldn't get one because of my feet. This year I haven't bought one yet and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because nobody has seen my house since I moved in (did I mention that I have no life? that's right). Or, maybe my PF left me psychologically scarred for life. LOL

I should go buy one just to prove to myself that I can.

Carole C

Re: Martha Stewart Christmas ornaments

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 12:53 (103098)

Judy, I just watched the NEATEST Martha Stewart episode. She was showing how to actually make Christmas ornaments out of white chocolate. She was doing it with a man at a chocolate factory and it probably wasn't something to do at home. It required vats of melted white and dark chocolate, ornament molds, huge scrapers, and such things that you might not have lying around in a normal kitchen.

They made a hollow spherical shell of white chocolate, using a mold, and then put dark chocolate stars inside of it (like a pinata kind of). Then they decorated the outside of the spheres with more white chocolate in circles and squares, and by dusting with white chocolate dust that had been colored with food coloring.

It was such fun to watch them do it. It was much too hard to do (and too fattening) but wow! It was fascinating. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 12/16/02 at 11:44 (103293)

Working with chocolate is really tricky. When my kids were little, I used to make chocolate lollipops at Easter and Halloween. I never did any Christmas ones. One year, I made these beautiful eggs that I filled with candy. They were hard to do as you had to get just the right thickness of chocolate in the mold. I remember I brought one to my neices and they weren't at all impressed but then I realized that no one would know how much work it was unless they were watching.

A couple of years later, I stopped making the candy altogether. It was something I absolutely hated to do and it made my neck and my shoulder hurt. I suddenly realized that I was an idiot! It was about the same time that I decided I wouldn't sew anymore because I hated doing that, too. I guess I must have been out to prove something, either to me or the world, but after some premature deaths in the family, I kind of reassessed what was important to me. I mean, it wasn't like someone was making me sew my daughter's clothes or make chocolate lollipops! The things we do!!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/16/02 at 12:47 (103298)

I agree with you so much, Kathy. It's different if someone enjoys sewing or such things, but I never liked sewing one bit. It was time consuming, I would make mistakes sometimes and have to fix them, and in the end, even if there were no mistakes (ha!) the garment never seemed quite what I wanted. I quit sewing completely when my daughter grew up, and I've never looked back. I don't even have a sewing machine any more and I don't care.

Since I've been living alone, I seldom cook anything too complicated either. It's perfectly easy to eat good, well balanced meals without spending hours making them. Cooking can be fun, and there was a time when I enjoyed doing that. But right now, there are other things that I prefer to do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your post really struck home; I'm not out to prove something to myself or to the world. It's different when someone truly enjoys such things.

Carole C

Kathy G on 12/16/02 at 15:47 (103309)

I think part of my problem was that I am a very good sewer, if I do say so myself. How could I miss? My mother took a tailoring course and she taught me how to sew. And since both of us were perfectionists, you could wear what we made inside-out and it still would look good. Now my sister, who made many of her own and her daughter's clothes, wasn't a perfectionist, and she let things go that I never would have let slide. And I'll bet that the average person wouldn't have been able to find the mistakes in what she made, nor would they have known how perfectly mine were done. She enjoys sewing but I truly hated it. And as I say, it just hit me one day, and I said, 'I'm not going to sew anymore!' and I don't, other than hems and buttons.

My mother made many of my clothes until I was old enough to sew for myself and then I made lots of them. They were really nice and it was neat not to have things that were identical to everyone else's. And I was hard to fit so it was nice to have patterns that were made to fit me. But she liked to sew and I just hated it! I guess that once I had children, I thought I should do what she did. It took me a while to realize that I didn't have to!

My younger sister has the right idea; she doesn't even know how to thread a needle and doesn't intend to learn!

Julie on 12/11/02 at 08:03 (102678)

Oh goody! A new inconsequential thread. Feather Trees. This one should run and run.

Necee, what are feather trees? I've never heard of them, but maybe we just don't have them here. Come to think of it they weren't visible in the Bronx either. Or in Ohio, but I could be wrong, maybe I just didn't notice.

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 08:17 (102682)

necee, i don't know what a feather tree is either. here on the coast i don't think they'd last long . . . if they exist . . . we'd probably end up with some pretty fancy seagulls.

but if you'll describe it, i promise to keep my eyes open.

nancy

Julie on 12/11/02 at 08:33 (102687)

Nancy, do you thinque Necee may be jokquing?

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 08:40 (102689)

necee may be jokquing, but i suspect she's searyous. you know, anything and everything is available in the world today. but as we've seen from the past few months on the social board, a lot of us still need educating about most of it.

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 08:45 (102691)

i just did a google search and found http://www.feathertrees.com

they have everything under the sun -- you wouldn't believe all the sizes, shapes, and colors of feather trees! you can order them online, necee. checkque it out! hope this helps.

nancy

Kathy G on 12/11/02 at 16:17 (102742)

Good Heavens, did you see the prices? I honestly thought it was a joke! That shows how uncouth I am! Necee, are they pretty decorated? They look kind of sparse but it may be that I'm just not used to them. They'd never work for me. We had to get an artificial tree because both my children and I are allergic to evergreens and they're also allergic to feathers.

Now see what I mean? I learn so much on this board. If it weren't for it, I would never have even known there was such a thing as a Feather Tree. Who says it's not educational?? And Nancy's mind was stimulated when she did the search.

We truly provide a useful service to all who come!

Thank you, Nancy and Necee!

PS. I wonder if Elliott knew what a feather tree was? :)

nancy s. on 12/11/02 at 18:27 (102766)

kathy, thank you for saying my mind was stimulated! i wasn't sure it showed.

nancy

Necee on 12/11/02 at 23:50 (102786)

Thank ya'll so much for responding.
Nancy, and the rest of you en-telly-junt folks, I just knew ya'll would know what a feather tree was.
They aren't actually to be used as full size Christmas trees, with decorations and all, they are sparse, and mostly used as a table top decoration, nothing more.
I searched the internet and found several sites dedicated to feather trees, but the prices were outrageous! I've even thought about trying to make one myself, but.... I'm not Martha Stewart, and besides, it would take lots of feathers, and these poor chickens in Texas would get awfully cold this winter!!

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/02 at 18:29 (102846)

Necee, I thought we discussed this before but let me clarify: Yes you ARE Martha Stewart.

OK, now that we've all got that straight... :)

Carole C (who adores watching Martha Stewart on Home & Garden TV)

Necee on 12/13/02 at 00:00 (102872)

Thanks Carole......I wish I had her money!!!

Happy trails...

Necee

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 08:33 (102904)

Yes, but she may end up showing her fellow inmates how to make a decent meal out of the prison gruel!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 09:59 (102918)

I'm sure that if necessary, she would do it with STYLE... :)

Let's hope she's not guilty! I have learned so much from her shows and if she were jailed, I would miss them. Well, I would miss the more practical ones, anyway.

Carole C

JudyS on 12/13/02 at 12:21 (102936)

Carole - are you a crafty sort? Martha Stewart has a super-simple project making christmas ornaments that resemble old-fashioned ribbon candy. The great majority of her stuff is far too involved for my tiny little brain but that one looks kind of cute. I've got my son's girlfriend talked in to making them with me tomorrow.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 13:52 (102955)

That sounds neat! I'm not really very good at crafts. The episodes that I like are things like the more practical type of project like 'How to replace a window pane and do it right'. That one really saved me the other day when one of the panes of glass in the door of my kitchen cabinet felt loose, but I could see that it just needed that little splinter-like wedge thingie pushed in a little more firmly.

However, I am not ruling out that I might become better at crafts at some point in time. I have just never had the time for needlepoint or making centerpieces or wreaths and that kind of thing. But if I watch Martha enough, now that I am out of academia and have more time maybe I could pick up some crafts. Sometimes the things that most people would think are cute just leave me cold. But others do appeal to me.

Last year I really wanted a Christmas tree, but couldn't get one because of my feet. This year I haven't bought one yet and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because nobody has seen my house since I moved in (did I mention that I have no life? that's right). Or, maybe my PF left me psychologically scarred for life. LOL

I should go buy one just to prove to myself that I can.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 12:53 (103098)

Judy, I just watched the NEATEST Martha Stewart episode. She was showing how to actually make Christmas ornaments out of white chocolate. She was doing it with a man at a chocolate factory and it probably wasn't something to do at home. It required vats of melted white and dark chocolate, ornament molds, huge scrapers, and such things that you might not have lying around in a normal kitchen.

They made a hollow spherical shell of white chocolate, using a mold, and then put dark chocolate stars inside of it (like a pinata kind of). Then they decorated the outside of the spheres with more white chocolate in circles and squares, and by dusting with white chocolate dust that had been colored with food coloring.

It was such fun to watch them do it. It was much too hard to do (and too fattening) but wow! It was fascinating. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 12/16/02 at 11:44 (103293)

Working with chocolate is really tricky. When my kids were little, I used to make chocolate lollipops at Easter and Halloween. I never did any Christmas ones. One year, I made these beautiful eggs that I filled with candy. They were hard to do as you had to get just the right thickness of chocolate in the mold. I remember I brought one to my neices and they weren't at all impressed but then I realized that no one would know how much work it was unless they were watching.

A couple of years later, I stopped making the candy altogether. It was something I absolutely hated to do and it made my neck and my shoulder hurt. I suddenly realized that I was an idiot! It was about the same time that I decided I wouldn't sew anymore because I hated doing that, too. I guess I must have been out to prove something, either to me or the world, but after some premature deaths in the family, I kind of reassessed what was important to me. I mean, it wasn't like someone was making me sew my daughter's clothes or make chocolate lollipops! The things we do!!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/16/02 at 12:47 (103298)

I agree with you so much, Kathy. It's different if someone enjoys sewing or such things, but I never liked sewing one bit. It was time consuming, I would make mistakes sometimes and have to fix them, and in the end, even if there were no mistakes (ha!) the garment never seemed quite what I wanted. I quit sewing completely when my daughter grew up, and I've never looked back. I don't even have a sewing machine any more and I don't care.

Since I've been living alone, I seldom cook anything too complicated either. It's perfectly easy to eat good, well balanced meals without spending hours making them. Cooking can be fun, and there was a time when I enjoyed doing that. But right now, there are other things that I prefer to do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your post really struck home; I'm not out to prove something to myself or to the world. It's different when someone truly enjoys such things.

Carole C

Kathy G on 12/16/02 at 15:47 (103309)

I think part of my problem was that I am a very good sewer, if I do say so myself. How could I miss? My mother took a tailoring course and she taught me how to sew. And since both of us were perfectionists, you could wear what we made inside-out and it still would look good. Now my sister, who made many of her own and her daughter's clothes, wasn't a perfectionist, and she let things go that I never would have let slide. And I'll bet that the average person wouldn't have been able to find the mistakes in what she made, nor would they have known how perfectly mine were done. She enjoys sewing but I truly hated it. And as I say, it just hit me one day, and I said, 'I'm not going to sew anymore!' and I don't, other than hems and buttons.

My mother made many of my clothes until I was old enough to sew for myself and then I made lots of them. They were really nice and it was neat not to have things that were identical to everyone else's. And I was hard to fit so it was nice to have patterns that were made to fit me. But she liked to sew and I just hated it! I guess that once I had children, I thought I should do what she did. It took me a while to realize that I didn't have to!

My younger sister has the right idea; she doesn't even know how to thread a needle and doesn't intend to learn!