Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT

Posted by Shell D on 12/11/02 at 19:33 (102772)

I have been suffering from PF for 4 years now. I've done all of the treatments known to man such as cortisone injections, orthotics, physical therapy, surgery, etc and now I'm considering ESWT. Here's the question...I'm a nurse who works 8-10 hours shifts. How long will I have to be off my feet after ESWT, or will I have to miss any work at all?
Thanks for you suggestions.

Re: ESWT

Dr. Z on 12/11/02 at 19:46 (102773)

Hi

We have treated many nurses in your same situation. Most of the time you can return to work within one day. How much pain are you in now.?

Shell D on 12/11/02 at 20:41 (102776)

The pain is about the worst that it's been. After a night on my feet at work, I feel like I hobble out of the hospital, then the next day I suffer even more! Like everyone else, the pain is worse after sleeping, sitting, etc. I don't feel like the surgery really helped much, if any.
I was told the day after the surgery that I could be up walking with my 'boot.' AFter talking to others with the same surgery, everyone says I never should have been walking that soon. I was never on crutches. I'm wondering if that's why the surgery hasn't helped much.
I've stopped exercising because of the pain. What exercises do you recommend? I'm not much of a swimmer, yet I know that's supposed to be good for this condition.
I'll take any suggestions.

Dr. Z on 12/11/02 at 20:51 (102777)

I have treated many patients with failed pf releases using ESWT. I would do wall stretches for the achilles. If you would like our informational packet on ESWT just e-mail Dr. Z at (email removed) and one of our ESWT cocrdinators will send you an packet. Feel free to answser any question you may have in the mean time

Dr. Z on 12/11/02 at 19:46 (102773)

Hi

We have treated many nurses in your same situation. Most of the time you can return to work within one day. How much pain are you in now.?

Shell D on 12/11/02 at 20:41 (102776)

The pain is about the worst that it's been. After a night on my feet at work, I feel like I hobble out of the hospital, then the next day I suffer even more! Like everyone else, the pain is worse after sleeping, sitting, etc. I don't feel like the surgery really helped much, if any.
I was told the day after the surgery that I could be up walking with my 'boot.' AFter talking to others with the same surgery, everyone says I never should have been walking that soon. I was never on crutches. I'm wondering if that's why the surgery hasn't helped much.
I've stopped exercising because of the pain. What exercises do you recommend? I'm not much of a swimmer, yet I know that's supposed to be good for this condition.
I'll take any suggestions.

Dr. Z on 12/11/02 at 20:51 (102777)

I have treated many patients with failed pf releases using ESWT. I would do wall stretches for the achilles. If you would like our informational packet on ESWT just e-mail Dr. Z at (email removed) and one of our ESWT cocrdinators will send you an packet. Feel free to answser any question you may have in the mean time