Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cures & massage for TTS

Posted by Lara T on 12/12/02 at 12:23 (102827)

A previous thread got a little off topic so I'm continuing it in a new thread, hoping that the lack of response to my questions is because the thread had run it's course and not rejection of my participation ;.

One person in the thread said (or implied?) that there was a cure for TTS? I would love to get back on the tennis court! Please tell me more.

Another person mentioned massage as a treatment for TTS. I'm curious about massage too as I receive massage regularly, and actually printed some notes from this board for my massage therapist - and then my neck/shoulders started acting up badly so my TTS (which is under control) took a back seat to my neck problems. The notes I had were not specifically on point, so if someone has specifics as to what a massage therapist can do (in terms of technique as well as results) I would love the details to pass along to my massage therapist.

Re: Cures & massage for TTS

Carl on 12/12/02 at 13:17 (102831)

Lara, I'm not sure if I'm the one who gave you the impression there is a cure for TTS (because I was part of a debate over conservative treatments vs surgery), but from what I've read of other's experiences on this board, 'cure' is perhaps the wrong word to use. There are many different means of treating TTS (some of which dedpend on your particular case), but how 'successful' you are in reducing your pain, numbness, etc. is an individual thing too. Some people have had success with massage, some not. Some claim magnets work, others get no change. I think rest seems to be a frequent ingredient. As for getting back on the court, have you looked into specially made orthotics? Don't have any specific massage techniques to share, but I know it makes my feet feel better. Good luck.

Lara T on 12/12/02 at 15:39 (102832)

Yes, I think you are the one that gave the impression there is a cure. Cure is exactly what I meant to say, as I even referred to treamtents in my post. Perhaps when you read 'no cure' you read 'only choice' when I didn't mean to say that at all?

Like you, I wouldn't want others to believe there isn't a cure if there is one - and I would love to know what it is - besides surgery as thus far I've opted not to have surgery. I also wouldn't want others to believe there is a 'cure' (whatever it is, surgery, prayer, tea leaves) if there isn't one. One of the toughest things about any illness or disability is balancing hope with reality. We all do it in our own time and our own path.

Yes I've tried orthotics, and several other things. Compression socks gave me enough of a life back that now I hope for something new (and when you said there was a cure besides surgery I was hopeful), but no longer feel the need to do something or my life will be miserable. I have a nice life, sans tennis and with compression socks.

Carl on 12/12/02 at 13:17 (102831)

Lara, I'm not sure if I'm the one who gave you the impression there is a cure for TTS (because I was part of a debate over conservative treatments vs surgery), but from what I've read of other's experiences on this board, 'cure' is perhaps the wrong word to use. There are many different means of treating TTS (some of which dedpend on your particular case), but how 'successful' you are in reducing your pain, numbness, etc. is an individual thing too. Some people have had success with massage, some not. Some claim magnets work, others get no change. I think rest seems to be a frequent ingredient. As for getting back on the court, have you looked into specially made orthotics? Don't have any specific massage techniques to share, but I know it makes my feet feel better. Good luck.

Lara T on 12/12/02 at 15:39 (102832)

Yes, I think you are the one that gave the impression there is a cure. Cure is exactly what I meant to say, as I even referred to treamtents in my post. Perhaps when you read 'no cure' you read 'only choice' when I didn't mean to say that at all?

Like you, I wouldn't want others to believe there isn't a cure if there is one - and I would love to know what it is - besides surgery as thus far I've opted not to have surgery. I also wouldn't want others to believe there is a 'cure' (whatever it is, surgery, prayer, tea leaves) if there isn't one. One of the toughest things about any illness or disability is balancing hope with reality. We all do it in our own time and our own path.

Yes I've tried orthotics, and several other things. Compression socks gave me enough of a life back that now I hope for something new (and when you said there was a cure besides surgery I was hopeful), but no longer feel the need to do something or my life will be miserable. I have a nice life, sans tennis and with compression socks.