Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Small Pity Party

Posted by wendyn on 12/12/02 at 19:58 (102853)

Feeling a little sorry for myself right at the moment.

The big knot on my shin is back, and it's really sore. No one can even tell me what this thing is. I tried looking up shin lumps on the net....I came up with Tuberculosis. I'm thinking that that's a 'no'.

I also came up with Erethema Nodosum - which I had when I was a teenager, and this isn't it.

Asked the trainer at the gym, and he said there is nothing under the skin there - no muscle, no tendon, no nothing. Just bone.

Anyways - my shin hurts, my feet are burning - and I'm very tired.

Wrote my final exam last night (yipee)!! I've been so busy with school, we have not done ANYTHING to get ready for Christmas. Plus, Hubby broke the top of his right arm last week playing hoceky. It's healing fast - and it's only in a sling - but we have an awful lot to do in the next two weeks.

So anyway, I'll be fine in 10 minutes...but I thought that I would just dump that here so I can get on with my day.

Merci.

Re: Small Pity Party

Suzanne D on 12/12/02 at 20:08 (102855)

I'm sorry, Wendy. It seems there is never a 'convenient' time for sickness or injury, but the holidays with all the extra running and doing is about the worst time for something like that.

I hope you feel better soon!

By the way, I take my hat off to you for going back to college and working so hard along with your regular job.

Hang in there!
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/02 at 20:43 (102856)

Wendy, it's hard to tell what it might be. Maybe it's a cyst that needs to be checked out? At any rate, your doctor will know so maybe you can make an appointment to see him. It is probably nothing but I know if it was on my shin I'd be wondering, too.

Congratulations on surviving your finals!

Carole C

wendyn on 12/12/02 at 22:12 (102866)

Carole - he won't know. He doesn't know.

I've been getting them on and off for about 6 years now. The first time around it lasted a long time (months) - so my doctor had an xray done that didn't show anything.

Then he did a bone scan - and it didn't show anything either.

I've asked my ortho surgeon about it (he shrugged) - as well as a few trainers and physio therapists.

No one knows what they are or what they're from.

I'm pretty sure they are always on my right shin (this is the leg with the tortion). It's a painful bump about 2 inches in diameter (maybe less), and it looks red or bruised sometimes. It will last from a few weeks to a few months - then it disappears. I don't think they come back in exactly the same place.

It annoys me.

wendyn on 12/12/02 at 22:21 (102867)

Thanks Suzanne!

I had my son when I was 16, so I finished high school and started working right away. For a few years, I took accounting (and related) courses at night while working during the day. After actually working in accounting for a few years, I decided that I REALLY hate it.

I've started taking the university courses - with the intention of pursing a BA (maybe with a communications major). The math was a required pre-req, but now I'll have to reconsider my options.

Evidently math based courses might be my thing (I went into the final with a 98 average). How strange is it that I actually _enjoyed_ most of the course? It's so weird. In high school, I failed grade 10 math (probably because I never went).

Anyway - I'm not sure what to do for an actual degree now. In January I'll start on a work related certificate program that will apply as a degree minor (in Strategic Management/Workplace Learning). When that's done - I guess I will have to make a decision!!!

Necee on 12/12/02 at 23:40 (102868)

Wendy, hope that bump goes away soon, I know it must be frustrating that the Drs can't tell you what it is.
Congrats on your finals!
Hang in there gal.

Happy trails......

Necee

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 05:28 (102882)

tant pis, wendy. (did that come out right? it's from seventh grade.)

je hope votre lump goes away soon.

and guess what, i lost my forwards list after making one post this time, so i'm using the reverse order right now. just wanted you to know you're not completely alone.

nancy

wendyn on 12/13/02 at 07:43 (102891)

bien agiter avec le usage

(shake well before using)

isn't my command of french impressive Nancy?

My insane coworker starting spouting off in eloquent sounding french one night during happy hour with the office buddies.

Eventually she admitted that she said 'The poor beaver is dead under the car. I do not know why the poor beaver is dead under the car.'

Sounded great though.

Can you belive that woman and I share an office? Two peas in a pod.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 08:17 (102896)

A doctor will usually at least eliminate anything serious that is correctable. So, since you've seen a doctor, at least you know that there isn't something that should be done for it.

That is definitely weird.

Carole C

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 08:18 (102897)

Ah, but at least she can say sentences that complicated. I'm pretty much limited to 'J'entre dans la salle de class,' and I'm not sure I spelled that correctly. I had such a bad ear for French that when we had dictations, I used to memorize them because when I tried to write down what the teacher was saying, I came out with a language no one recognized! And as for my pronounciation, well, let's just say that had my teacher considered that when giving me a grade, I never would have gotten out of French I let alone II. To say that I have no facility for languages is an understatement.

Recently, I decided I'd like to learn Spanish. What a joke! Now I remember why I hated foreign languages so much.

As to that lump in your shin, Wendy, it sounds really painful. I would assume that since the doctors don't seem to be that concerned nor know what causes it, it's not something serious. It still must be painful. And you just wish you knew what caused it! Are you going to go to the doctor anyway, just so he can record that you have another one? You only get them on your shins, huh? The back of your calf doesn't hurt? Is it hot and red? I don't know why I asked that because if it is, I don't know what it would indicate. Aren't I helpful?

It's really tough to be feeling lousy this time of the year. You and your husband will have to just let some things go this Christmas. If you're both hurting, you have no choice and it's not worth putting too much pressure on yourself. People have a tendency to work so hard and do so much at Christmas that they end up exhausted and let-down when the holiday finally arrives. I watched my mother do it and I vowed I never would and I think I have much happier holidays than she did.

Keep us posted on that lump. Did they tell you to put ice on it? Or maybe heat? It just sounds so strange; you'd think someone would have some idea as to what it is. It must be very frustrating.

Take care.

Julie on 12/13/02 at 08:33 (102903)

What is 'beaver' in French, Wendy?

john h on 12/13/02 at 10:05 (102919)

Wendy my shin has a problem also. About 12 months ago I came flying around the corner from the laundry room in our home into the kitchen. My wife had left the dish washer door down. Hello Mr Shin meet Mr. Door! I had a first class laceration. Problem with a shin injury is there is not much blood flow to that area and thing really heals slow. My laceration did not do well at all because it itched and I scratched it. Now I have this ugly looking blue bruise which has been there for a year. My dermatologist says I am stuck with it unless I want him to 'bleach' it out. I am not sure what bleach it out means but at the moment I just tell people it is a war wound. Raised hemotomas,etc are really rather common on all parts of the body but as always check that baby out starting with your family Doc and perhaps a dermitologist.

wendyn on 12/13/02 at 10:07 (102920)

She says it's 'castor' - or something. I have no idea how to spell it. Emphasis on the 'tor'

Richard, C.Ped on 12/13/02 at 10:49 (102926)

Sorry about everything Wendy. I am not a leg man (well...you know what I mean) but the only thing I could think of was Anterior Compartment Syndrome, but I could not find anything were it states that 'lumps' are a symptom. I will try to look somemore.
Richard

JudyS on 12/13/02 at 12:23 (102937)

Wendy - sounds like you need our historic HS.com formula for R & R:
Bubble bath - candles - wine - chocolate - fire in the hearth - warm hubby

wendyn on 12/13/02 at 14:58 (102959)

Kathy - no - I won't bother going back to the doctor...there's no point.

I think the back of the calf pain your thinking of may be indicative of a blood clot.

Mine is only on the shin - so it's all good. Sort of!

Pauline on 12/13/02 at 16:39 (102971)

I'm not a doctor, but have you considered Shin Splints?

Shin splints Heat retainer Ice Therapy Rehabilitation Taping Stretching Sports Massage

Shin splints
(Periostitis)

What are shin splints?

Shin splints is the name given to pain at the front of the lower leg. The most common cause is inflammation of the periostium of the tibia (sheath surrounding the bone). The injury is an overuse injury and can be caused by running on hard surfaces, running on tip toes and sports where a lot of jumping is involved. If you over pronate then you are also more susceptible to this injury.

Symptoms include:

Tenderness over the inside of the shin.
Lower leg pain.
Sometimes some swelling.
Lumps and bumps over the bone.
Pain when the toes or foot are bent downwards.
A redness over the inside of the shin

wendyn on 12/13/02 at 17:05 (102972)

Pauline - you should have been a doctor.

I certainly haven't been running or jumping!!!!

I had no idea shin splints could cause the redness and swelling. I have had them before - but never with lumps.

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 17:29 (102976)

wendy, ou est la bibliotheque?

in quebec city, the only french sentence i could come up with was 'votre voiture est mal?' i made it up myself. this was for a lady on the side of the road looking at a tire.

nancy

wendyn on 12/13/02 at 19:18 (102992)

Isn't a biblioteque (sp?) a library?

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 19:29 (102995)

Yup. Bibliotheque is a library, not to be confused with discotheque, of course!

Je m'appelle Nancy, et j'habite aux Etats-Unis a Nouvelle Jersey (Jersey Nouvelle?). Ou habites-tu? Demain, je vais chez mes parents. Je doit schlep pendant deux heures dans ma voiture.

Once upon a time, I was really good at French... maybe I still am deep in my subconscious somewhere. I have no idea what the French word for Schlep is, though!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 19:41 (102998)

What is the English word for it? LOL I've never heard of Shlep. :)

Carole C

Re: Schleppe :)

Julie on 12/14/02 at 02:10 (103020)

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 08:49 (103035)

Is Schleppe a regular verb? Schlepper? As in

Je schleppe
Tu schleppes
Il schleppes
Nous schleppons
Vous schleppez
Elles schleppent

?

L'Academie Francaise is raising their hackles and getting ready to do battle as I type....

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 08:52 (103038)

I guess it's a good thing I haven't been prescribed this remedy, since I'm missing a few of the ingredients! Can I substitute hot Irish whiskey for the wine? And what do I do in the absence of a fireplace and a hubby of any variety?

Julie on 12/14/02 at 09:08 (103043)

Nancy, yes, as I recall schleppe IS a regular verb, the future tense of which goes:

Je schleppera
Tu schlepperas
Nous schlepperons
Vous schlepperez
Il/elle schleppera (?)
Ils schlepperont

Don't get me started on the giant schlep-to-end-all-schleps I had getting home on Thursday evening - a normally 25-30 minute trip took me an hour and a half. Now that's what I call a schlep. London, as I told you yesterday, has become un-liveable.

But you'll still have a great time here next year. No schlep!

And what's more, it left me totally schlepped out.

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 09:16 (103047)

I have been schlepping since Thanksgiving, two weekends ago. That weekend, to my parents' place. Last weekend, to Lewisburg and my alma mater. This weekend, back to the parental units' in order to do an early gift exchance since the older two generations are going to Florida next weekend for...a month? A few weeks? Dunno. But Christmas is wacky this year--wackier than last year.

All I know is that this week, someone is actually coming to me for a change, rather than me going to them, and I patently refuse to schlep next weekend. If I need to go anywhere that badly, someone else can drive me.

So what was the hold-up on Thursday? Traffic? Or something else? Your trip sounds like the way things usually are around here if it snows. 6-mile trips can take two hours.

Re: On languages

wendyn on 12/14/02 at 09:24 (103049)

Hmmmm 'my name is Nancy' - you are from New Jersey. I am from Calgary..something about what telling what time it is?

How did I do?

My Francais is not tres bien.

I can say the really important things like 'My pen is red' and 'potato' and 'window'.

In German - I can ask for a beer....and for sex. And I can count to 20. More really important stuff.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 09:25 (103050)

Nancy,

Here are some approved substitutes:

wine - - substitute diet 7-up in a champagne glass
fireplace - - substitute TV with volume turned down, or computer monitor
hubby - - substitute boyfriend, dog, cat, or body pillow

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 09:38 (103053)

'Je m'appelle Nancy, et j'habite aux Etats-Unis a Nouvelle Jersey (Jersey Nouvelle?). Ou habites-tu? Demain, je vais chez mes parents. Je doit schlep pendant deux heures dans ma voiture.'

Translates roughly (assuming I still know what I'm doing in French!) to:

My name is Nancy, and I live in the United States in New Jersey. Where do you live? Tomorrow, I am going to my parents' house. I must schlep for two hours in my car.

Schlep is slang here for fairly arduous travel.

I do not want to know why you can ask for sex in German!

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 09:39 (103054)

Wow. That list just gets progressively more depressing, doesn't it? Maybe the wine is necessary so that you're too drunk to notice the absence of the other items?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 10:16 (103068)

Oh!! *THAT* is what Schlep means. I never heard that term before. Thanks.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 10:19 (103069)

Maybe so. Somehow diet 7-up in a champagne glass, a TV with the volume turned down, and a pillow, does sound depressing! You don't need to substitute wine, though. Everything will still remain copacetic if you substitute a good looking boyfriend instead of the pillow.

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 10:37 (103072)

Now, copacetic is a word you don't hear every day!

Alas, I may still have trouble with the last bit of this prescription. Or I might not. You never know. Boyfriends have never been my strong suit. But I may find out this week. Or I might not....

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 10:57 (103074)

Good luck! I haven't dated very much either since I got PF, though there's no reason why I shouldn't now. I guess I got used to being alone. However, it's possible that things might 'click' when Frank is in town for the holidays. We'll see.

If not, I do drink one glass of wine a year and it's been about that long. I could get a bottle of white zinfandel or rose. :)

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 11:22 (103076)

That's it! And now, I'm afraid I must sign of and begin this weekend's schlep. I bet you can tell I'm not really psyched about it by the fact that it's now 12:30 and I've been awake since 7! Ah well, I just have to go DO it, I suppose. Can't wait to see what'll transpire on this board by the time I get back tomorrow!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 11:50 (103079)

I don't think people schlep in New Orleans. LOL

I hope your schlepping isn't too arduous. I'm going to get dressed and go for a drive just for fun, and maybe eventually wander over to Home Depot and look for a squeegee. Have a great day!

Carole C

Julie on 12/14/02 at 11:54 (103080)

Yes: traffic. London has reached gridlock. On Thursday night, in addition to the major disruption at Trafalgar Square, which is being pedestrianised and is currently a torn-up hell-hole, a couple of major arteries were closed and I had to divert, along with three million other drivers.

It's good you're not coming over this Christmas. London looks like a badly-managed building site. It should be better next year. But I've given up driving into town now and will henceforth rely on the (unreliable) train service.

Julie on 12/14/02 at 12:04 (103082)

Another meaning (the original one, I think) of 'schlep': it's what you do when you carry a particularly heavy or ungainly parcel. You schlep it around until you get it where you're going.

Come to think of it, that's exactly how I felt in my car on Thursday night. In fact, if I could have got out and carried (schlepped) it, I'd probably have got home quicker.

Julie on 12/14/02 at 12:07 (103085)

Well, Carole, now that we've defined 'schlep' for you, two ways, you can tell us what is copacetic.

Julie on 12/14/02 at 12:07 (103086)

I hate to think.

Have a nice day, Nancy!

Re: On schlepping

Julie on 12/14/02 at 12:09 (103087)

Carole, EVERYBODY schleps sooner or later, at some time or other. Schlepping is a basic fact of life.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 12:15 (103088)

It's an adjective, meaning 'completely satisfactory'. When everything is copacetic, you are definitely having LOTS more fun than when shleping around. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 12:23 (103090)

New Orleans is too mellow for much schlepping. Why schlep, when you can party instead? :) Life is short, and death in New Orleans is just an excuse for a party and a jazz funeral/parade.

Carole C

Julie on 12/14/02 at 12:46 (103095)

All right then, Carole. May you never ever have to schlep.

New Orleans does sound wonderful. I've always wanted to go there, but never have. Maybe one day.

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 15:27 (103114)

You know, Julie, I'd totally forgotten about that meaning. I think I first heard the term in that usage, probably when my best friend was carting her trombone around with her. I'm not sure if the travel usage is our own term, or if it's more widely used--though I'm guessing the latter since it seemed to be familiar to you.

Either way, it's one of my favorite terms--just seems to convey so well the hassle involved with carrying something or travelling.

Speaking of which, I've just arrived at the Ancestral Home (well, as close as I'll ever get!) and now only have the return schlep to deal with. And then, I'm not going any farther than school for at least a week, unless someone else is driving!

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 15:30 (103115)

I saw a New Orleans funeral on TV or in a movie once, and I thought 'Now, THAT is a funeral!' I mean, if you're going to do it, why not do it right?

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:24 (103120)

allo. passez vingt-deux quinze?

what's the french for potato, wendy? i need to know. my favorite food.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 17:34 (103122)

Not all funerals here are jazz funerals, but some of them are and it does look like a good way to cheer up the bereaved and to have an unforgettable funeral. I think it's wonderful that people can do this without anybody here thinking this custom is inappropriate or wrong.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 17:36 (103123)

When I said '...without anybody here thinking this custom is inappropriate or wrong', by 'here', I meant New Orleans, although the heelspurs.com crowd is pretty open minded too... :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:48 (103128)

people MUSt schlep in new orleans. they schlep all over the world. maybe it's to do with a person's style. pf-ers make great schleppers. i'll be a schlepper for the rest of my life, no matter how good my feet get. i think. (time for me to check the dictionary.)

nancy

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:50 (103129)

oops, no need for dictionary. i think you hit the definition, julie.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 17:52 (103130)

We don't schlep here, we coast and dance.... :)

It's all in the attitude. Life's too short to waste it schlepping when you could be drifting along in time to some great music.

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:59 (103132)

oh man, i think i'm finally at the end of these 100+ posts that accumulated during the day. (not that they haven't been enjoyable -- they have -- but i'm hungry!)

nancy, new orleans funerals are special? what are they like?

on a related note, i've never seen cemeteries like those in the central highlands of mexico. they look like 283 wedding cakes in one spot. we have a pic of one to end our mexico-trip photo book. special note: it's meant to be an upper.

nancy

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 18:05 (103133)

'coast and dance' . . . carole, i'd say new orleanites (huh?) do know how to live. more power to them (including you, of course).

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 18:40 (103135)

Thank you! New Orleanians do have a great attitude and I've truly enjoyed living here for the past few years and learning to absorb that attitude. They really know how to have fun. :)

Carole C

john h on 12/14/02 at 19:36 (103138)

Carole: you are never alone as long as that old computer can fire up.

john h on 12/14/02 at 19:45 (103144)

And 'Sawadee' to all you lovely ladies and Richard. Now which of you will recognize that language? Maybe Julie and at least one of the guys.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 22:18 (103151)

Aw! You are so sweet. All of you are! :)

Carole C

wendyn on 12/14/02 at 23:36 (103158)

Nancy - I believe it is pomme de terre - which translates as apple of the earth.

Julie on 12/15/02 at 02:02 (103161)

I would like a jazz funeral! When a great friend of ours, a jazz enthusiast, died several years ago, we had a post-funeral party for him. Lots of good jazz was played and enjoyed by all.

Re: Schlep/schleppe (n)

Julie on 12/15/02 at 02:11 (103162)

Nancy, let's not forget that schlep is also a noun. As in 'He/she is such a schlep' (or 'il/elle est un scheppe').

It could be used to describe someone who always looks as though he/she is schlepping: either carrying something very heavy a long way, or reaching the end of his/her tether in a traffic jam.

But it really refers to someone who scheps around in ultra-comfortable clothes, and Birkenstocks, like me.

What a useful, adaptable word.

How was your return schlep?

Julie on 12/15/02 at 02:17 (103163)

Wendy, you haven't told me what beaver is in French. I asked at least 3,875,378 posts ago! I think there must be something fishy going on with your backward-reading system.:)

Re: On Sawadee (?)

Julie on 12/15/02 at 02:20 (103164)

John I DON'T recognise it! What is it? Please tell.

Re: The dead beaver

wendyn on 12/15/02 at 08:28 (103174)

Julie, I did tell you...maybe there is something wrong with your forward reading system!!!

It is 'castor'. I don't know how to spell it - emphasis on the tor.

Nancy N on 12/15/02 at 08:36 (103175)

Nancy--

Wendy is right, potato=pomme de terre. Not to be confused with pomme, which is an apple.

Now, what is this about passing twenty-two fifteen??

john h on 12/15/02 at 09:51 (103183)

With all your travels to India Julie I thought you might have heard the word Sawadee which is the Thai word for hello/goodbye. I forget which of our guys that posted a lot is now in Thailand or was spending a lot of time there.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 11:03 (103192)

Was it Alan, maybe?

Carole C

john h on 12/15/02 at 11:30 (103196)

you ladies really have memories thant want quit. yes it was Alan who was or is in Thailand. Every once in a while he will post. Sawadee to you Alan if you are out there.

Julie on 12/15/02 at 11:32 (103197)

Now that's expecting too much, John. Thailand is rather a long way from India, and apart from the fact that I don't speak any of the numerous Indian languages, they're all different from the Thai languages anyway. Anyway, now I know what Sawadee is, so - Sawadee!

It was Alan K. His wife is Thai, and they spend a lot of time there.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 13:34 (103207)

Wendy, according to my handy dandy French-English dictionary, you have the spelling just right.

It is 'castor'. You DID know how to spell it! Your French is sure better than mine. :)

Carole C

Julie on 12/15/02 at 14:42 (103212)

Thanks, Wendy. I think I know what happened - a couple of days ago I pressed the wrong button and lost a lot of the 'messages posted since last visit'.

I should (and would) have switched to reverse, but I was running out of time. So beaver/castor got lost. And goodness knows what else! I hate to think.

Nancy N on 12/15/02 at 17:36 (103232)

Schlep truly is a wonderful term! And so all-purpose!

The return schlep was incredibly boring. Fortunately, I had Ella Fitzgerald and Charlie Brown/Vince Guaraldi to keep me company. And I have to admit, a heckuva lot of Christmas loot. I seem to have unwittingly benefitted from my brother's kitchen renovation project this year--since he and his wife got kitchen cabinets for Christmas, I think they must've upped the ante for me as well. In addition to a raft of nifty new toys, I also got some gift certificates and a $100 contribution to my continuing quest for a digital camera. And my grandfather was feeling incredibly generous this year and decided to give us each a check for $500 just because we exist. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw that.

So, all those things, plus the knowledge that I will not be schlepping again for at least ten days, made today's journey more bearable. Now I just have to figure out what to DO with all this stuff before Thursday!!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 21:44 (103246)

Maybe your grandfather would adopt me???? (winning smile)

It sounds like a very lucrative schlep! And if you can't figure out what to do with the $500 checks, I would be glad to help you out of that dilemma. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 21:57 (103250)

Schlep sounds like what I used to do when I got a chocolate ice cream cone on a summer day, when I was about 3.

schlep, schlep, schlep, schlep.... mmmmmmm

And it would dribble down my chin and over my hand while I tried to schlep it all up! :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/16/02 at 09:15 (103275)

thank you, wendy.

gee, nancy, i don't know. is that what it means? i knew the numbers. the phrase appeared early in my very first french class. it began a telephone dialogue. i thought it meant 'hello, is this 2215?' do you suppose i remember wrong?

might be the passing (away) of brain cells due to paint fumes and so on. i'm so glad paula has given me this new excuse.

nancy

Nancy N on 12/16/02 at 16:28 (103311)

It was definitely a lucrative schlep! Amazingly so. I don't know if my grandfather is looking to adopt, but I'll ask him to keep you in mind!

Nancy N on 12/17/02 at 11:03 (103398)

Could be that the 'passez' has another meaning, or that I'm remembering it incorrectly. But the 2215 was right-on!

Suzanne D on 12/12/02 at 20:08 (102855)

I'm sorry, Wendy. It seems there is never a 'convenient' time for sickness or injury, but the holidays with all the extra running and doing is about the worst time for something like that.

I hope you feel better soon!

By the way, I take my hat off to you for going back to college and working so hard along with your regular job.

Hang in there!
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/02 at 20:43 (102856)

Wendy, it's hard to tell what it might be. Maybe it's a cyst that needs to be checked out? At any rate, your doctor will know so maybe you can make an appointment to see him. It is probably nothing but I know if it was on my shin I'd be wondering, too.

Congratulations on surviving your finals!

Carole C

wendyn on 12/12/02 at 22:12 (102866)

Carole - he won't know. He doesn't know.

I've been getting them on and off for about 6 years now. The first time around it lasted a long time (months) - so my doctor had an xray done that didn't show anything.

Then he did a bone scan - and it didn't show anything either.

I've asked my ortho surgeon about it (he shrugged) - as well as a few trainers and physio therapists.

No one knows what they are or what they're from.

I'm pretty sure they are always on my right shin (this is the leg with the tortion). It's a painful bump about 2 inches in diameter (maybe less), and it looks red or bruised sometimes. It will last from a few weeks to a few months - then it disappears. I don't think they come back in exactly the same place.

It annoys me.

wendyn on 12/12/02 at 22:21 (102867)

Thanks Suzanne!

I had my son when I was 16, so I finished high school and started working right away. For a few years, I took accounting (and related) courses at night while working during the day. After actually working in accounting for a few years, I decided that I REALLY hate it.

I've started taking the university courses - with the intention of pursing a BA (maybe with a communications major). The math was a required pre-req, but now I'll have to reconsider my options.

Evidently math based courses might be my thing (I went into the final with a 98 average). How strange is it that I actually _enjoyed_ most of the course? It's so weird. In high school, I failed grade 10 math (probably because I never went).

Anyway - I'm not sure what to do for an actual degree now. In January I'll start on a work related certificate program that will apply as a degree minor (in Strategic Management/Workplace Learning). When that's done - I guess I will have to make a decision!!!

Necee on 12/12/02 at 23:40 (102868)

Wendy, hope that bump goes away soon, I know it must be frustrating that the Drs can't tell you what it is.
Congrats on your finals!
Hang in there gal.

Happy trails......

Necee

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 05:28 (102882)

tant pis, wendy. (did that come out right? it's from seventh grade.)

je hope votre lump goes away soon.

and guess what, i lost my forwards list after making one post this time, so i'm using the reverse order right now. just wanted you to know you're not completely alone.

nancy

wendyn on 12/13/02 at 07:43 (102891)

bien agiter avec le usage

(shake well before using)

isn't my command of french impressive Nancy?

My insane coworker starting spouting off in eloquent sounding french one night during happy hour with the office buddies.

Eventually she admitted that she said 'The poor beaver is dead under the car. I do not know why the poor beaver is dead under the car.'

Sounded great though.

Can you belive that woman and I share an office? Two peas in a pod.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 08:17 (102896)

A doctor will usually at least eliminate anything serious that is correctable. So, since you've seen a doctor, at least you know that there isn't something that should be done for it.

That is definitely weird.

Carole C

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 08:18 (102897)

Ah, but at least she can say sentences that complicated. I'm pretty much limited to 'J'entre dans la salle de class,' and I'm not sure I spelled that correctly. I had such a bad ear for French that when we had dictations, I used to memorize them because when I tried to write down what the teacher was saying, I came out with a language no one recognized! And as for my pronounciation, well, let's just say that had my teacher considered that when giving me a grade, I never would have gotten out of French I let alone II. To say that I have no facility for languages is an understatement.

Recently, I decided I'd like to learn Spanish. What a joke! Now I remember why I hated foreign languages so much.

As to that lump in your shin, Wendy, it sounds really painful. I would assume that since the doctors don't seem to be that concerned nor know what causes it, it's not something serious. It still must be painful. And you just wish you knew what caused it! Are you going to go to the doctor anyway, just so he can record that you have another one? You only get them on your shins, huh? The back of your calf doesn't hurt? Is it hot and red? I don't know why I asked that because if it is, I don't know what it would indicate. Aren't I helpful?

It's really tough to be feeling lousy this time of the year. You and your husband will have to just let some things go this Christmas. If you're both hurting, you have no choice and it's not worth putting too much pressure on yourself. People have a tendency to work so hard and do so much at Christmas that they end up exhausted and let-down when the holiday finally arrives. I watched my mother do it and I vowed I never would and I think I have much happier holidays than she did.

Keep us posted on that lump. Did they tell you to put ice on it? Or maybe heat? It just sounds so strange; you'd think someone would have some idea as to what it is. It must be very frustrating.

Take care.

Julie on 12/13/02 at 08:33 (102903)

What is 'beaver' in French, Wendy?

john h on 12/13/02 at 10:05 (102919)

Wendy my shin has a problem also. About 12 months ago I came flying around the corner from the laundry room in our home into the kitchen. My wife had left the dish washer door down. Hello Mr Shin meet Mr. Door! I had a first class laceration. Problem with a shin injury is there is not much blood flow to that area and thing really heals slow. My laceration did not do well at all because it itched and I scratched it. Now I have this ugly looking blue bruise which has been there for a year. My dermatologist says I am stuck with it unless I want him to 'bleach' it out. I am not sure what bleach it out means but at the moment I just tell people it is a war wound. Raised hemotomas,etc are really rather common on all parts of the body but as always check that baby out starting with your family Doc and perhaps a dermitologist.

wendyn on 12/13/02 at 10:07 (102920)

She says it's 'castor' - or something. I have no idea how to spell it. Emphasis on the 'tor'

Richard, C.Ped on 12/13/02 at 10:49 (102926)

Sorry about everything Wendy. I am not a leg man (well...you know what I mean) but the only thing I could think of was Anterior Compartment Syndrome, but I could not find anything were it states that 'lumps' are a symptom. I will try to look somemore.
Richard

JudyS on 12/13/02 at 12:23 (102937)

Wendy - sounds like you need our historic HS.com formula for R & R:
Bubble bath - candles - wine - chocolate - fire in the hearth - warm hubby

wendyn on 12/13/02 at 14:58 (102959)

Kathy - no - I won't bother going back to the doctor...there's no point.

I think the back of the calf pain your thinking of may be indicative of a blood clot.

Mine is only on the shin - so it's all good. Sort of!

Pauline on 12/13/02 at 16:39 (102971)

I'm not a doctor, but have you considered Shin Splints?

Shin splints Heat retainer Ice Therapy Rehabilitation Taping Stretching Sports Massage

Shin splints
(Periostitis)

What are shin splints?

Shin splints is the name given to pain at the front of the lower leg. The most common cause is inflammation of the periostium of the tibia (sheath surrounding the bone). The injury is an overuse injury and can be caused by running on hard surfaces, running on tip toes and sports where a lot of jumping is involved. If you over pronate then you are also more susceptible to this injury.

Symptoms include:

Tenderness over the inside of the shin.
Lower leg pain.
Sometimes some swelling.
Lumps and bumps over the bone.
Pain when the toes or foot are bent downwards.
A redness over the inside of the shin

wendyn on 12/13/02 at 17:05 (102972)

Pauline - you should have been a doctor.

I certainly haven't been running or jumping!!!!

I had no idea shin splints could cause the redness and swelling. I have had them before - but never with lumps.

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 17:29 (102976)

wendy, ou est la bibliotheque?

in quebec city, the only french sentence i could come up with was 'votre voiture est mal?' i made it up myself. this was for a lady on the side of the road looking at a tire.

nancy

wendyn on 12/13/02 at 19:18 (102992)

Isn't a biblioteque (sp?) a library?

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 19:29 (102995)

Yup. Bibliotheque is a library, not to be confused with discotheque, of course!

Je m'appelle Nancy, et j'habite aux Etats-Unis a Nouvelle Jersey (Jersey Nouvelle?). Ou habites-tu? Demain, je vais chez mes parents. Je doit schlep pendant deux heures dans ma voiture.

Once upon a time, I was really good at French... maybe I still am deep in my subconscious somewhere. I have no idea what the French word for Schlep is, though!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 19:41 (102998)

What is the English word for it? LOL I've never heard of Shlep. :)

Carole C

Julie on 12/14/02 at 02:10 (103020)

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 08:49 (103035)

Is Schleppe a regular verb? Schlepper? As in

Je schleppe
Tu schleppes
Il schleppes
Nous schleppons
Vous schleppez
Elles schleppent

?

L'Academie Francaise is raising their hackles and getting ready to do battle as I type....

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 08:52 (103038)

I guess it's a good thing I haven't been prescribed this remedy, since I'm missing a few of the ingredients! Can I substitute hot Irish whiskey for the wine? And what do I do in the absence of a fireplace and a hubby of any variety?

Julie on 12/14/02 at 09:08 (103043)

Nancy, yes, as I recall schleppe IS a regular verb, the future tense of which goes:

Je schleppera
Tu schlepperas
Nous schlepperons
Vous schlepperez
Il/elle schleppera (?)
Ils schlepperont

Don't get me started on the giant schlep-to-end-all-schleps I had getting home on Thursday evening - a normally 25-30 minute trip took me an hour and a half. Now that's what I call a schlep. London, as I told you yesterday, has become un-liveable.

But you'll still have a great time here next year. No schlep!

And what's more, it left me totally schlepped out.

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 09:16 (103047)

I have been schlepping since Thanksgiving, two weekends ago. That weekend, to my parents' place. Last weekend, to Lewisburg and my alma mater. This weekend, back to the parental units' in order to do an early gift exchance since the older two generations are going to Florida next weekend for...a month? A few weeks? Dunno. But Christmas is wacky this year--wackier than last year.

All I know is that this week, someone is actually coming to me for a change, rather than me going to them, and I patently refuse to schlep next weekend. If I need to go anywhere that badly, someone else can drive me.

So what was the hold-up on Thursday? Traffic? Or something else? Your trip sounds like the way things usually are around here if it snows. 6-mile trips can take two hours.

wendyn on 12/14/02 at 09:24 (103049)

Hmmmm 'my name is Nancy' - you are from New Jersey. I am from Calgary..something about what telling what time it is?

How did I do?

My Francais is not tres bien.

I can say the really important things like 'My pen is red' and 'potato' and 'window'.

In German - I can ask for a beer....and for sex. And I can count to 20. More really important stuff.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 09:25 (103050)

Nancy,

Here are some approved substitutes:

wine - - substitute diet 7-up in a champagne glass
fireplace - - substitute TV with volume turned down, or computer monitor
hubby - - substitute boyfriend, dog, cat, or body pillow

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 09:38 (103053)

'Je m'appelle Nancy, et j'habite aux Etats-Unis a Nouvelle Jersey (Jersey Nouvelle?). Ou habites-tu? Demain, je vais chez mes parents. Je doit schlep pendant deux heures dans ma voiture.'

Translates roughly (assuming I still know what I'm doing in French!) to:

My name is Nancy, and I live in the United States in New Jersey. Where do you live? Tomorrow, I am going to my parents' house. I must schlep for two hours in my car.

Schlep is slang here for fairly arduous travel.

I do not want to know why you can ask for sex in German!

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 09:39 (103054)

Wow. That list just gets progressively more depressing, doesn't it? Maybe the wine is necessary so that you're too drunk to notice the absence of the other items?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 10:16 (103068)

Oh!! *THAT* is what Schlep means. I never heard that term before. Thanks.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 10:19 (103069)

Maybe so. Somehow diet 7-up in a champagne glass, a TV with the volume turned down, and a pillow, does sound depressing! You don't need to substitute wine, though. Everything will still remain copacetic if you substitute a good looking boyfriend instead of the pillow.

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 10:37 (103072)

Now, copacetic is a word you don't hear every day!

Alas, I may still have trouble with the last bit of this prescription. Or I might not. You never know. Boyfriends have never been my strong suit. But I may find out this week. Or I might not....

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 10:57 (103074)

Good luck! I haven't dated very much either since I got PF, though there's no reason why I shouldn't now. I guess I got used to being alone. However, it's possible that things might 'click' when Frank is in town for the holidays. We'll see.

If not, I do drink one glass of wine a year and it's been about that long. I could get a bottle of white zinfandel or rose. :)

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 11:22 (103076)

That's it! And now, I'm afraid I must sign of and begin this weekend's schlep. I bet you can tell I'm not really psyched about it by the fact that it's now 12:30 and I've been awake since 7! Ah well, I just have to go DO it, I suppose. Can't wait to see what'll transpire on this board by the time I get back tomorrow!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 11:50 (103079)

I don't think people schlep in New Orleans. LOL

I hope your schlepping isn't too arduous. I'm going to get dressed and go for a drive just for fun, and maybe eventually wander over to Home Depot and look for a squeegee. Have a great day!

Carole C

Julie on 12/14/02 at 11:54 (103080)

Yes: traffic. London has reached gridlock. On Thursday night, in addition to the major disruption at Trafalgar Square, which is being pedestrianised and is currently a torn-up hell-hole, a couple of major arteries were closed and I had to divert, along with three million other drivers.

It's good you're not coming over this Christmas. London looks like a badly-managed building site. It should be better next year. But I've given up driving into town now and will henceforth rely on the (unreliable) train service.

Julie on 12/14/02 at 12:04 (103082)

Another meaning (the original one, I think) of 'schlep': it's what you do when you carry a particularly heavy or ungainly parcel. You schlep it around until you get it where you're going.

Come to think of it, that's exactly how I felt in my car on Thursday night. In fact, if I could have got out and carried (schlepped) it, I'd probably have got home quicker.

Julie on 12/14/02 at 12:07 (103085)

Well, Carole, now that we've defined 'schlep' for you, two ways, you can tell us what is copacetic.

Julie on 12/14/02 at 12:07 (103086)

I hate to think.

Have a nice day, Nancy!

Julie on 12/14/02 at 12:09 (103087)

Carole, EVERYBODY schleps sooner or later, at some time or other. Schlepping is a basic fact of life.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 12:15 (103088)

It's an adjective, meaning 'completely satisfactory'. When everything is copacetic, you are definitely having LOTS more fun than when shleping around. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 12:23 (103090)

New Orleans is too mellow for much schlepping. Why schlep, when you can party instead? :) Life is short, and death in New Orleans is just an excuse for a party and a jazz funeral/parade.

Carole C

Julie on 12/14/02 at 12:46 (103095)

All right then, Carole. May you never ever have to schlep.

New Orleans does sound wonderful. I've always wanted to go there, but never have. Maybe one day.

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 15:27 (103114)

You know, Julie, I'd totally forgotten about that meaning. I think I first heard the term in that usage, probably when my best friend was carting her trombone around with her. I'm not sure if the travel usage is our own term, or if it's more widely used--though I'm guessing the latter since it seemed to be familiar to you.

Either way, it's one of my favorite terms--just seems to convey so well the hassle involved with carrying something or travelling.

Speaking of which, I've just arrived at the Ancestral Home (well, as close as I'll ever get!) and now only have the return schlep to deal with. And then, I'm not going any farther than school for at least a week, unless someone else is driving!

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 15:30 (103115)

I saw a New Orleans funeral on TV or in a movie once, and I thought 'Now, THAT is a funeral!' I mean, if you're going to do it, why not do it right?

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:24 (103120)

allo. passez vingt-deux quinze?

what's the french for potato, wendy? i need to know. my favorite food.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 17:34 (103122)

Not all funerals here are jazz funerals, but some of them are and it does look like a good way to cheer up the bereaved and to have an unforgettable funeral. I think it's wonderful that people can do this without anybody here thinking this custom is inappropriate or wrong.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 17:36 (103123)

When I said '...without anybody here thinking this custom is inappropriate or wrong', by 'here', I meant New Orleans, although the heelspurs.com crowd is pretty open minded too... :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:48 (103128)

people MUSt schlep in new orleans. they schlep all over the world. maybe it's to do with a person's style. pf-ers make great schleppers. i'll be a schlepper for the rest of my life, no matter how good my feet get. i think. (time for me to check the dictionary.)

nancy

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:50 (103129)

oops, no need for dictionary. i think you hit the definition, julie.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 17:52 (103130)

We don't schlep here, we coast and dance.... :)

It's all in the attitude. Life's too short to waste it schlepping when you could be drifting along in time to some great music.

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:59 (103132)

oh man, i think i'm finally at the end of these 100+ posts that accumulated during the day. (not that they haven't been enjoyable -- they have -- but i'm hungry!)

nancy, new orleans funerals are special? what are they like?

on a related note, i've never seen cemeteries like those in the central highlands of mexico. they look like 283 wedding cakes in one spot. we have a pic of one to end our mexico-trip photo book. special note: it's meant to be an upper.

nancy

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 18:05 (103133)

'coast and dance' . . . carole, i'd say new orleanites (huh?) do know how to live. more power to them (including you, of course).

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 18:40 (103135)

Thank you! New Orleanians do have a great attitude and I've truly enjoyed living here for the past few years and learning to absorb that attitude. They really know how to have fun. :)

Carole C

john h on 12/14/02 at 19:36 (103138)

Carole: you are never alone as long as that old computer can fire up.

john h on 12/14/02 at 19:45 (103144)

And 'Sawadee' to all you lovely ladies and Richard. Now which of you will recognize that language? Maybe Julie and at least one of the guys.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 22:18 (103151)

Aw! You are so sweet. All of you are! :)

Carole C

wendyn on 12/14/02 at 23:36 (103158)

Nancy - I believe it is pomme de terre - which translates as apple of the earth.

Julie on 12/15/02 at 02:02 (103161)

I would like a jazz funeral! When a great friend of ours, a jazz enthusiast, died several years ago, we had a post-funeral party for him. Lots of good jazz was played and enjoyed by all.

Julie on 12/15/02 at 02:11 (103162)

Nancy, let's not forget that schlep is also a noun. As in 'He/she is such a schlep' (or 'il/elle est un scheppe').

It could be used to describe someone who always looks as though he/she is schlepping: either carrying something very heavy a long way, or reaching the end of his/her tether in a traffic jam.

But it really refers to someone who scheps around in ultra-comfortable clothes, and Birkenstocks, like me.

What a useful, adaptable word.

How was your return schlep?

Julie on 12/15/02 at 02:17 (103163)

Wendy, you haven't told me what beaver is in French. I asked at least 3,875,378 posts ago! I think there must be something fishy going on with your backward-reading system.:)

Julie on 12/15/02 at 02:20 (103164)

John I DON'T recognise it! What is it? Please tell.

wendyn on 12/15/02 at 08:28 (103174)

Julie, I did tell you...maybe there is something wrong with your forward reading system!!!

It is 'castor'. I don't know how to spell it - emphasis on the tor.

Nancy N on 12/15/02 at 08:36 (103175)

Nancy--

Wendy is right, potato=pomme de terre. Not to be confused with pomme, which is an apple.

Now, what is this about passing twenty-two fifteen??

john h on 12/15/02 at 09:51 (103183)

With all your travels to India Julie I thought you might have heard the word Sawadee which is the Thai word for hello/goodbye. I forget which of our guys that posted a lot is now in Thailand or was spending a lot of time there.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 11:03 (103192)

Was it Alan, maybe?

Carole C

john h on 12/15/02 at 11:30 (103196)

you ladies really have memories thant want quit. yes it was Alan who was or is in Thailand. Every once in a while he will post. Sawadee to you Alan if you are out there.

Julie on 12/15/02 at 11:32 (103197)

Now that's expecting too much, John. Thailand is rather a long way from India, and apart from the fact that I don't speak any of the numerous Indian languages, they're all different from the Thai languages anyway. Anyway, now I know what Sawadee is, so - Sawadee!

It was Alan K. His wife is Thai, and they spend a lot of time there.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 13:34 (103207)

Wendy, according to my handy dandy French-English dictionary, you have the spelling just right.

It is 'castor'. You DID know how to spell it! Your French is sure better than mine. :)

Carole C

Julie on 12/15/02 at 14:42 (103212)

Thanks, Wendy. I think I know what happened - a couple of days ago I pressed the wrong button and lost a lot of the 'messages posted since last visit'.

I should (and would) have switched to reverse, but I was running out of time. So beaver/castor got lost. And goodness knows what else! I hate to think.

Nancy N on 12/15/02 at 17:36 (103232)

Schlep truly is a wonderful term! And so all-purpose!

The return schlep was incredibly boring. Fortunately, I had Ella Fitzgerald and Charlie Brown/Vince Guaraldi to keep me company. And I have to admit, a heckuva lot of Christmas loot. I seem to have unwittingly benefitted from my brother's kitchen renovation project this year--since he and his wife got kitchen cabinets for Christmas, I think they must've upped the ante for me as well. In addition to a raft of nifty new toys, I also got some gift certificates and a $100 contribution to my continuing quest for a digital camera. And my grandfather was feeling incredibly generous this year and decided to give us each a check for $500 just because we exist. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw that.

So, all those things, plus the knowledge that I will not be schlepping again for at least ten days, made today's journey more bearable. Now I just have to figure out what to DO with all this stuff before Thursday!!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 21:44 (103246)

Maybe your grandfather would adopt me???? (winning smile)

It sounds like a very lucrative schlep! And if you can't figure out what to do with the $500 checks, I would be glad to help you out of that dilemma. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 21:57 (103250)

Schlep sounds like what I used to do when I got a chocolate ice cream cone on a summer day, when I was about 3.

schlep, schlep, schlep, schlep.... mmmmmmm

And it would dribble down my chin and over my hand while I tried to schlep it all up! :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/16/02 at 09:15 (103275)

thank you, wendy.

gee, nancy, i don't know. is that what it means? i knew the numbers. the phrase appeared early in my very first french class. it began a telephone dialogue. i thought it meant 'hello, is this 2215?' do you suppose i remember wrong?

might be the passing (away) of brain cells due to paint fumes and so on. i'm so glad paula has given me this new excuse.

nancy

Nancy N on 12/16/02 at 16:28 (103311)

It was definitely a lucrative schlep! Amazingly so. I don't know if my grandfather is looking to adopt, but I'll ask him to keep you in mind!

Nancy N on 12/17/02 at 11:03 (103398)

Could be that the 'passez' has another meaning, or that I'm remembering it incorrectly. But the 2215 was right-on!