Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I MUST post this...I got some relief

Posted by monte on 12/12/02 at 20:01 (102854)

I went to see a Cped in NYC and his father is a 78 year old Pod who has seen it all. The doctor confirmed my PF and they looked at my 4 pairs of orthotics and told that 3 pair were garbage.

My left foot pronates more than the right, yet the were all made exactly the same!

They said that my leather and cork ones look likt they could work with them. The Cped made me stand in them and tell him why I can't use them and where they hurt.

He made some adjustments and in two days, my heels feel better...the arch pain is therem but seems to be more under control. I don't have to wear tape and arch wraps like i had been doing.

This guy did not even try to talk me into another pair of orthotics...he worked with mine for free.

I hope this means that I am now in a corrected position and am not re-injuring myself...and now i can heal.

He said it could still take 6 months from the time I get the proper fit to the time that the PF gets better.

I wuld be glad to give anyone their information! They are on Park Ave in NYC. But don't let that scare you....they are very reasonable and caring.

Please contact me for more.
monte

Re: I MUST post this...I got some relief

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/02 at 21:40 (102861)

That's wonderful, Monte! I'm so glad you found some good foot professionals. It sounds like they did a very good job for you. If your orthotics start bothering you again, you may have to take them back to these two to get them re-adjusted. That apparently happens sometimes after a while.

What blows me away, is that three of your four pairs of orthotics were identical for your left foot and your right foot, when your feet are not the same. You might as well have gotten off the shelf orthotics. That's awful. At least it seems so to me, maybe because I'm another one whose left and right foot function quite differently from one another.

Anyway, congratulations and I hope your healing starts to speed up now! It sounds like it will. Remember to keep doing the things that help you the most, like probably icing, gentle stretching, rest, and so on.

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 05:07 (102878)

that's great, monte! i'm happy for you and hope your healing proceeds more quickly now.

thanks for posting about this; it could be a problem others have with their orthotics and not know it.

nancy

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 07:52 (102892)

Monte,

I'm so happy to hear that you found some relief - and a a good man to help you out. Just curious, were the four pair of orthotics all from four different doctors?

monte on 12/13/02 at 07:59 (102893)

All the orthotics were from different doctors. The problem I found was that a doctor will cast you and the a lab builds them. When I would go back..the left foot always hurt under the arch...right away. The doctors always told me to break them in and it will get better. One doctor had me rolling my foot over a golf ball to get used to orthotics. (?)

The doctors did not want to send my othotics back and forth to the labs. Maybe because of the FedEx costs? I don't know. So I decided to find someone who does it all on the spot. They can listen to my complaint (or praise) first hand and SEE what needs to be done.

Now I feel that I have that. I am a million miles away from being cured. The feet still hurt, but I find the orthotics comfortable and a little less pain in the heels. The pain acts up, but if they helped me even for an hour, then something right is going on. I will have a long time to heal...but I think the important thing is that I am in the right position to do so.

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 08:56 (102906)

Doesn't it amaze you how different people espouse such different treatment for PF? I had a PT tell me to roll a golf ball with my foot, too. Of course, she was the idiot who started my heels hurting. I went to her with painful arches and a muscle spasm in my calf and she ended up causing my heels to hurt. She was a wealth of MIS-information and she came highly recommended.

I'm just glad you went to a C.ped and I am thankful that we have Richard to tell us that they even exist. I honestly had never heard of it until these boards and for a while, I didn't even know what he was and didn't want to let anyone know I was that stupid. It really wasn't until he gave us a link to his website that I found out.

My orthotics actually seem to be doing the job, finally, and I'm again cautiously optimistic. But if I have further problems, I'm going to go to a C.Ped who is nearby and whom I found via Richard's site.

Great news for you, Monte. I'm hopeful that you are on the right track!

IanJ on 12/13/02 at 09:05 (102909)

'I'm just glad you went to a C.ped and I am thankful that we have Richard to tell us that they even exist.'

whoa, there. What is a C.ped? I had assumed it was a podiatrist.

monte on 12/13/02 at 09:08 (102911)

A C.Ped. is a Certified Orthotic maker. I think they also make prosthetics.

IanJ on 12/13/02 at 09:13 (102912)

I have a first appt with a podiatrist on Tuesday. If he recommends orthotics (and he probably will) will he send me to a specific orthotic maker? Do I have a choice?

Is there a recommended C. Ped in the San Francisco Bay Area I can go to?

Thanks.

Laurie R on 12/13/02 at 10:33 (102924)

Hi Monte , After reading your post , it just reminded me , that their are still honest people in the world.... I am so glad you found this place and that your feet are feeling better.... Thanks for the info .. Laurie R

Suzanne D on 12/13/02 at 12:01 (102929)

Good for you, Monte! I wish you the best and hope your CPed is as good as the one Carole went to. She had such good results from her orthotics. It seems that there is a pattern here of people having really good results from going straight to a CPed as opposed to having a prescription sent off to a lab (although I hasten to say that I know some have had good luck with that, too.).

Thanks for the information!
Suzanne :-)

monte on 12/13/02 at 12:05 (102930)

Thanks to all for the good wishes. I will the same for everyone. I just hope the little bit of relief lasts and grows longer and better....I don't care if it takes another 2 years of slow steady improvement. At least the light at the end of the tunnel doesn't seem to be a train anymore.

Julie on 12/13/02 at 16:06 (102968)

Ian, C.Ped stands for Certified Pedorthist.

Your podiatrist may send you to a C.Ped, but many cast and make their own orthotics (or have them made).

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 17:17 (102973)

ian, i don't know how many podiatrists are really expert at casting and making orthotics. my impression after three years is: not many. i'm sure there are some, but experience tells me: not many.

i would highly recommend that you insist on being referred to a certified pedorthist or orthotist. casting and making orthotics is all they do -- they are experts, they will give you a really thorough evaluation, and most will adjust and readjust for free until the orthotics are right, without having to send them somewhere else, like a lab, to someone who has never even seen you.

my first podiatrist did a very incomplete biomechanics evaluation, casted me in what according to richard is not the most effective way, and sent away for them to be made. i ended up paying $315 for rock-hard orthotics that were in no way helpful; in fact they made me worse.

i've seen a pedorthist since. i'm completely convinced that they're the way to go. good luck.

nancy

Re: Can i have the address

sandy h on 12/13/02 at 18:59 (102988)

Monte.

sandy h on 12/13/02 at 19:00 (102989)

I may be going to NY for a very quick visit, my office is park avenue and won't have much time but wouldn't mind seeing a good pod.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 20:42 (103003)

Yes, Suzanne, I had wonderful results with my orthotics. My C.Ped made me great orthotics right on the spot, without sending them anywhere. After casting them and making them while I waited, she had me walk in the finished orthotics and she observed me, and I commented, and she adjusted until she was absolutely sure they were perfect.

I doubt such a thorough approach is even possible with orthotics that are sent off to a lab, designed by computer, etc. It's the expertise of a C.Ped with training and many years of experience that seems to make the difference.

Carole C

Julie on 12/14/02 at 02:20 (103022)

Ian, I think Nancy is right. My own brief post, made in a great hurry, was simply to tell you what you might expect: that not all podiatrists will send you to a pedorthist. I don't know quite how you'd handle the situation if your podiatrist offered to make your orthotics for you, but if you need them, it would almost certainly be better to have them made by a professional who does that and nothing else.

I was lucky with my podiatrist, who made my orthotics, which were perfect and have been a great help. Others have not been so lucky, and this website is packed with reports of drawers full of unusable orthotics.

IanJ on 12/14/02 at 12:24 (103091)

Thanks Nancy. I'll try to insist on a C. Ped.

monte on 12/14/02 at 23:36 (103159)

sandy...sorry for the delay.

his name is Dr Rosenstein at 929 Park ave and 80th street in NYC

His son is Jeffrey the Cped

Rosenstein, Bernard DPM - Academy Foot & Ankle Assoc-Ny
(212) 861-7170

you can tell him john mon taperto recommended you...he may remember my name. not that i carry any weight....

good luck...let me know you like them

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/02 at 21:40 (102861)

That's wonderful, Monte! I'm so glad you found some good foot professionals. It sounds like they did a very good job for you. If your orthotics start bothering you again, you may have to take them back to these two to get them re-adjusted. That apparently happens sometimes after a while.

What blows me away, is that three of your four pairs of orthotics were identical for your left foot and your right foot, when your feet are not the same. You might as well have gotten off the shelf orthotics. That's awful. At least it seems so to me, maybe because I'm another one whose left and right foot function quite differently from one another.

Anyway, congratulations and I hope your healing starts to speed up now! It sounds like it will. Remember to keep doing the things that help you the most, like probably icing, gentle stretching, rest, and so on.

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 05:07 (102878)

that's great, monte! i'm happy for you and hope your healing proceeds more quickly now.

thanks for posting about this; it could be a problem others have with their orthotics and not know it.

nancy

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 07:52 (102892)

Monte,

I'm so happy to hear that you found some relief - and a a good man to help you out. Just curious, were the four pair of orthotics all from four different doctors?

monte on 12/13/02 at 07:59 (102893)

All the orthotics were from different doctors. The problem I found was that a doctor will cast you and the a lab builds them. When I would go back..the left foot always hurt under the arch...right away. The doctors always told me to break them in and it will get better. One doctor had me rolling my foot over a golf ball to get used to orthotics. (?)

The doctors did not want to send my othotics back and forth to the labs. Maybe because of the FedEx costs? I don't know. So I decided to find someone who does it all on the spot. They can listen to my complaint (or praise) first hand and SEE what needs to be done.

Now I feel that I have that. I am a million miles away from being cured. The feet still hurt, but I find the orthotics comfortable and a little less pain in the heels. The pain acts up, but if they helped me even for an hour, then something right is going on. I will have a long time to heal...but I think the important thing is that I am in the right position to do so.

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 08:56 (102906)

Doesn't it amaze you how different people espouse such different treatment for PF? I had a PT tell me to roll a golf ball with my foot, too. Of course, she was the idiot who started my heels hurting. I went to her with painful arches and a muscle spasm in my calf and she ended up causing my heels to hurt. She was a wealth of MIS-information and she came highly recommended.

I'm just glad you went to a C.ped and I am thankful that we have Richard to tell us that they even exist. I honestly had never heard of it until these boards and for a while, I didn't even know what he was and didn't want to let anyone know I was that stupid. It really wasn't until he gave us a link to his website that I found out.

My orthotics actually seem to be doing the job, finally, and I'm again cautiously optimistic. But if I have further problems, I'm going to go to a C.Ped who is nearby and whom I found via Richard's site.

Great news for you, Monte. I'm hopeful that you are on the right track!

IanJ on 12/13/02 at 09:05 (102909)

'I'm just glad you went to a C.ped and I am thankful that we have Richard to tell us that they even exist.'

whoa, there. What is a C.ped? I had assumed it was a podiatrist.

monte on 12/13/02 at 09:08 (102911)

A C.Ped. is a Certified Orthotic maker. I think they also make prosthetics.

IanJ on 12/13/02 at 09:13 (102912)

I have a first appt with a podiatrist on Tuesday. If he recommends orthotics (and he probably will) will he send me to a specific orthotic maker? Do I have a choice?

Is there a recommended C. Ped in the San Francisco Bay Area I can go to?

Thanks.

Laurie R on 12/13/02 at 10:33 (102924)

Hi Monte , After reading your post , it just reminded me , that their are still honest people in the world.... I am so glad you found this place and that your feet are feeling better.... Thanks for the info .. Laurie R

Suzanne D on 12/13/02 at 12:01 (102929)

Good for you, Monte! I wish you the best and hope your CPed is as good as the one Carole went to. She had such good results from her orthotics. It seems that there is a pattern here of people having really good results from going straight to a CPed as opposed to having a prescription sent off to a lab (although I hasten to say that I know some have had good luck with that, too.).

Thanks for the information!
Suzanne :-)

monte on 12/13/02 at 12:05 (102930)

Thanks to all for the good wishes. I will the same for everyone. I just hope the little bit of relief lasts and grows longer and better....I don't care if it takes another 2 years of slow steady improvement. At least the light at the end of the tunnel doesn't seem to be a train anymore.

Julie on 12/13/02 at 16:06 (102968)

Ian, C.Ped stands for Certified Pedorthist.

Your podiatrist may send you to a C.Ped, but many cast and make their own orthotics (or have them made).

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 17:17 (102973)

ian, i don't know how many podiatrists are really expert at casting and making orthotics. my impression after three years is: not many. i'm sure there are some, but experience tells me: not many.

i would highly recommend that you insist on being referred to a certified pedorthist or orthotist. casting and making orthotics is all they do -- they are experts, they will give you a really thorough evaluation, and most will adjust and readjust for free until the orthotics are right, without having to send them somewhere else, like a lab, to someone who has never even seen you.

my first podiatrist did a very incomplete biomechanics evaluation, casted me in what according to richard is not the most effective way, and sent away for them to be made. i ended up paying $315 for rock-hard orthotics that were in no way helpful; in fact they made me worse.

i've seen a pedorthist since. i'm completely convinced that they're the way to go. good luck.

nancy

sandy h on 12/13/02 at 18:59 (102988)

Monte.

sandy h on 12/13/02 at 19:00 (102989)

I may be going to NY for a very quick visit, my office is park avenue and won't have much time but wouldn't mind seeing a good pod.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 20:42 (103003)

Yes, Suzanne, I had wonderful results with my orthotics. My C.Ped made me great orthotics right on the spot, without sending them anywhere. After casting them and making them while I waited, she had me walk in the finished orthotics and she observed me, and I commented, and she adjusted until she was absolutely sure they were perfect.

I doubt such a thorough approach is even possible with orthotics that are sent off to a lab, designed by computer, etc. It's the expertise of a C.Ped with training and many years of experience that seems to make the difference.

Carole C

Julie on 12/14/02 at 02:20 (103022)

Ian, I think Nancy is right. My own brief post, made in a great hurry, was simply to tell you what you might expect: that not all podiatrists will send you to a pedorthist. I don't know quite how you'd handle the situation if your podiatrist offered to make your orthotics for you, but if you need them, it would almost certainly be better to have them made by a professional who does that and nothing else.

I was lucky with my podiatrist, who made my orthotics, which were perfect and have been a great help. Others have not been so lucky, and this website is packed with reports of drawers full of unusable orthotics.

IanJ on 12/14/02 at 12:24 (103091)

Thanks Nancy. I'll try to insist on a C. Ped.

monte on 12/14/02 at 23:36 (103159)

sandy...sorry for the delay.

his name is Dr Rosenstein at 929 Park ave and 80th street in NYC

His son is Jeffrey the Cped

Rosenstein, Bernard DPM - Academy Foot & Ankle Assoc-Ny
(212) 861-7170

you can tell him john mon taperto recommended you...he may remember my name. not that i carry any weight....

good luck...let me know you like them