Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

new-style floor mops

Posted by Nancy N on 12/12/02 at 21:46 (102862)

Have any of you used any of the new-style floor mops, like the Swiffer WetJet or the Clorox ReadyMop? I have only a little bit of non-carpeted floor space and I really hate schlepping a regular mop and bucket around, especially since I'm only doing four small areas. So I was thinking one of these new mops might work well for me, but I'm not sure how well they do (especially since two of the four floors are tile, and the other two are textured linoleum). But if it would help save my shoulders (not to mention the feet), it might be worth a shot.

Anybody have any experience with one of these? Thanks in advance...

Re: new-style floor mops

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/02 at 21:56 (102864)

Don't those look cool?

I have never used them. I have been intrigued by them since I first saw the ads on TV. I only have a little bit of non-carpeted space too, thanks to some help from the board in choosing a fairly PF friendly house when I was house-hunting. My non-carpeted floors are very nice vinyl tile that looks like wood.

You are right; none of us here on this board need to be lugging around a bucket of water if we don't have to.

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 05:22 (102881)

i thought i cleared up this problem for everyone months ago, maybe even years.

don't clean!

i mean i can see sweeping or vacuuming, but mopping is above and beyond the call of duty. aren't you the only person who ever knows you did it?

nancy

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 05:37 (102885)

I wish! On the floors I have, it's really obvious if you haven't cleaned them. Especially the linoleum in the kitchen, which hangs onto anything that's spilled until it's forcibly removed. I have a regular Swiffer, which helps with the dry stuff, but anything that is stuck on won't budge that way. I actually sometimes take an old washcloth and put it on the swiffer, wet, and use that, which gets more. But it doesn't feel to me like it's really clean.

I suppose that's not as bad as washing dishes without soap (which I discovered a friend of mine does when I visited this weekend!), but it still seems to me like it should be done at least once or twice a year.

But I'm not about to go as far as Carmen and Necee and get down with a scrub brush to clean my floors. Entirely too painful. I like myself more than that....

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 05:46 (102886)

you have a point. a good point. i should stay out of cleaning discussions. i don't know enough about it.

i'm replying to you from my mailbox! this post probably won't tell you that, so i thought i'd mention it. this is like having a new toy, and christmas isn't even here yet.

nancy

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 08:04 (102894)

I got a Clorox Ready-Mop at Costco quite a while ago. I thought it would be the answer to my dreams. Wrong! Maybe it's my tile, but it left a film on it and it got dirtier much faster than it used to. I ended up having to wash the floor more often. I tried it a couple of times, thinking that maybe I was spraying too much of the cleaning liquid on it, but it still came out kind of sticky. I even tried cutting it with water. It sits downstairs, unused. I am using the three bottles of cleaning fluid to wash my kitchen counters, etc. I just transferred it to a spray bottle I had in the house. Works good for that!

I went back to using one of those sponge mops that you squeeze the water out of by pushing down a mechanism as opposed to squeezing the mop. That's much easier on my hand with the tendonitis.

I don't carry a bucket around with me when I wash my floor. I fill my dishpan up with ammonia and water and just walk over to the sink when I need to re-wet my mop. It works fine and I don't seem to leave any visible marks on the floor.

Years ago, I washed the floors once a week. Now I wash them when they look dirty, sometimes really dirty, and while it bothered me at first, I quickly got used to it. The older I get, the more sense it makes to not clean anything unless it really needs it!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 08:12 (102895)

This is hilarious... so far Nancy N, Nancy S, and I have posted.. three people who don't clean much talking about cleaning. I don't scrub the floor on my hands and knees any more, or at least I don't do that often because of the arthritis in my knees.

I have been contemplating mopping my kitchen, bathrooms, and hall floors for quite a while now. They don't show the dirt at all, or maybe that's the advantage of getting older and more near-sighted. They are vinyl tile, but the tile looks a lot like dark wood and I can't really tell the difference unless I touch it. It sweeps up nicely.

I never heard of washing dishes without soap. It would probably work if there wasn't any fat or grease to get off the plates.

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 08:22 (102898)

I can't even imagine washing dishes without soap. When I was a kid, I had a friend who was a riot. She was furious one day because it was her turn to wash the dishes, so she decided she'd get back at her mother by washing the dishes with soap but not rinsing any of them! Guess who the dumb shmuck was who ended up rinsing them all? You guessed it - but I ate at her house often enough that I thought I'd benefit in the long run!

carynz on 12/13/02 at 09:52 (102917)

heh there. I think the swiffer wetjet thingy is the best. I use i everyday on my kitchen and bathroom floors, takes like 10 minutes total. If you ever watch trading spaces you can do that fancysmancy dance the gal does to make it even more fun! Yahoo

cheers carynz

john h on 12/13/02 at 10:08 (102921)

Yes Nancy I have tried both the wet and dry type. I like the dry but not the wet because the residue it leaves seems to attract dirt to the non polish type tiles.

carynz on 12/13/02 at 10:18 (102922)

yes John you are so right about that. It doesn't do good on tile floors, but lino or wood laminate is great. Also, if you are very sensitive to chemicals etc or have pets who like to sniff in the kitchen etc, be very careful. A friend of mine had to get rid of hers because the chemicals in the liquid made her sneeze and gave her a scratchy throat for months before she figured out it was the Swiffer stuff. Also her little terrier would go along the floor checking things out as only dogs do and his nose got all chafed and he was scratching it as well. Just a word of caution is all.

cheers Caryn

Laurie R on 12/13/02 at 10:27 (102923)

John , I love your post... You just jump right in there with your cleaning style ... Now for anyone that does dishes without soap , that is just plain nasty ..... Nancy N , I hope you are not going to eat there again . Or if you do , bring your own paper plates ..... I think I may know who you are talking about and that just clearned up a few things ...... ?????

Nancy S , you are always so very funny about everything .... I love the way you write and the way you think. That is why you are my mentor !!!! I know you say you don't clean much , but I bet , no I know your hourse is clean ....

As for me , I am just like Carmen and Necee , my family has always said I have the cleaning disease ....... I think my mom did this to me ....

Have a great day , and now this is a good topic .....

Laurie R

Richard, C.Ped on 12/13/02 at 10:42 (102925)

My wife likes the Swiffer...or at least I think thats the name. We use this stuff called Spray and Mop. It seems to get all the dirt and grime up with ease. I like it too. Yes....I mop and help with housework. Don't laugh to hard guys...I can also bench press 250 pounds easily...LOL
Richard

Re: The best mop of all:*)

Pauline on 12/13/02 at 10:49 (102927)

We don't use anything because we're so rich when the place get's dirty we just move:*)

Suzanne D on 12/13/02 at 12:09 (102932)

You ARE funny, Pauline! :-)

My mother was a social worker, and she used to take my sister's and my outgrown clothes to people whom she was trying to help. She stopped giving to this one family when she found out that when the clothes got too dirty they just threw them over the hill out back...No joke.

Suzanne :-)

Suzanne D on 12/13/02 at 12:12 (102933)

My daughter in college said she and some of her friends have used one of those models at school. Maybe I can get her to demonstrate for me sometime! :-) That would be one way to get someone else to help me clean!

I guess I'm too suspicious about such new things. I always want to hear someone tell me that they really work before I try them.

If I could get up once I got down on my knees to scrub the floor, I would do it that way. But since someone would have to 'haul' me up, I guess I'll have to stick to using a mop!

JudyS on 12/13/02 at 12:25 (102938)

Nen - they don't scrub well and their handles are flimsy.

JudyS on 12/13/02 at 12:33 (102941)

Cool - can I come and live with you? :)

Pauline on 12/13/02 at 13:02 (102942)

In all seriousness, HSN sells a type of mop that I much prefer because it's good for the enviroment. It uses microfiber washable pads that are great for wood and tile flooring. It comes with washable pads that you use wet and then a dust type pad that you use dry.

It picks up dust much better than the Swifter paper mop things and you just throw the pad into the washer for next time.

I've seen the same type of mops sold over the internet.

HSN says the product was designed in Europe. I couldn't tell you, but on spills it really seems to work well too.

When demonstrating the mop they only use water as a cleaner. Since we have mega amounts of wood flooring the microfiber dry pads are used for dusting then the flooring is cleaned using a wood floor cleaning product with a flat toweling type mop head. All corners are done on hands and knees.

For fast spot clean ups I like the Swifter spray mop because all I have to do is press the button and push it a few times and the job is done until the cleaning crew arrives again.

If your using those paper swifter dusting papers you might consider these microfiber pads. I personally think they pick up dust much better than those paper things and they can be used over and over again.

The mop isn't expensive to purchase and it is certainly cheaper to operate because you don't have to keep buying paper sheets that you throw away.

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 13:30 (102947)

Laurie--

You do know who I'm talking about and I think perhaps my next gift will be a big bottle of Dawn wrapped up with a nice ribbon. Think that'd be a good hint? ;) I'm sure the situation is easily remedied.

I think I could do with a bout of the cleaning disease! It seems to have missed my household, even when I was a kid. I realized yesterday that my mom always did the same thing I've been doing--let everything get wrecked and then race around to clean it before company comes. I suppose it's true that, at least in some senses, the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree, as sad as that is in this instance!

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 13:31 (102948)

I dunno, I think I hate moving even more than I hate cleaning!!!

Re: mopping the floor

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 13:32 (102949)

Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like the Ready-Mop for tile. I discovered today that one of the reasons I don't have to wash my kitchen floor all that often. I am such a klutz that seldom does a week go by that I don't break something, usually containing liquid. So I have to get out the mop and while I'm at it, I usually just mop the whole floor. Of course, half the time it's without any cleaning prep but it seems to do the trick. My mother is turning over in her grave!

So this discussion has been good; it pointed out one of the positive sides to being a clod. (Nobody says that anymore; I'm dating myself!)

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 13:33 (102950)

Pauline--

Any idea what it's called? Just using water sounds good to me. And not having to keep spending money on cloths sounds good, too.

Thanks.

Re: Cleaning windows - A Question

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 13:34 (102951)

OK, as long as we are talking about house cleaning...

My new house has nine French doors with fifteen glass panes in each, three kitchen cabinets in that same style with six glass panes in each, and all of the other windows consist of small panes too. I don't have to clean any large picture windows, but I have 17 trillion small glass panes to clean in my house.

Any suggestions beyond Windex and a paper towel? How would you handle this challenge to minimize the work? vinegar? one of those squeegie cleaners?

I knew when I bought this house that this would be a big task, and I'm ready to tackle it. However I know that 'the right tool for the right job' can make a huge difference in household chores.

Carole C

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 13:40 (102953)

Carole,

Oh, how I hate washing windows. Not the actual act but since I have the problem with my shoulder and hand, I hurt so much afterward. I've never tried it but my chiropractor swears that his business would slow down if everyone used a squeegie. I guess you'd have to do the corners but it would cut down on the work. He got his at Home Depot. Don't know if they have those in LA but there must be a similar place.

In my next life, my windows are all going to have that grille thing and I'll just pop it out and wash the big paneless window and pop it back in.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 13:54 (102957)

Yes, we have Home Depot and in fact there's one right across the street from my work. Thanks! Anybody else have any tips for me?

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 14:52 (102958)

Does anybody know about something called microfiber cleaning cloths, or something like that? I heard they are great for cleaning windows. (?) But maybe a squeegie is better.

Carole C

Leon S. on 12/13/02 at 15:15 (102964)

Is there anything for people who actually sit at the computer and read thru all these posts...(like I just did)? Somehow, my foot doesn't hurt me as much anymore.

Re: Born to it

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 15:20 (102965)

Wow, if I can bore people so much that their feet hurt less and they heal, just think of the profits. It doesn't require any machinery and believe me, I was BORN to bore! LOL

Carole C

Pauline on 12/13/02 at 15:53 (102967)

Nancy,
It's called the Starfiber Microfiber Wet/Dry mop. Go to HSN's web site and type in Microfiber Mop. It will bring it up.

The kit, mop and pads, cost $19.95 + $4.95 S&H + tax.
Replacement pads are 4 for $14.50 + S&H & tax. You get 2 wet and 2 dry in the replacement packs.

If you just type microfiber mop into Yahoo search it will bring up
similar products at perhaps a better cost. I think they are all the same product, but I just purchased mine from HSN because I knew they would take it back if the ladies or I didn't like it. It's so easy to use the pads just stick to the mop. When your finished you just peel it off and wash it. I think once you try it especially for dusting you'd never go back to the paper Swifter stuff. This does a much better job.

As I say so far it's worked like a charm especially for dusting wood flooring. It seems to be great on tile too, but we don't have too much tile far more wood.

Re: Mirrors & Windows

Pauline on 12/13/02 at 16:13 (102969)

Next time you clean your mirrors try rubbing alcohol with paper toweling or a cloth that doesn't leave lint. Works like a charm.

Found these tips for your windows. Hope you find it inspiring.

If you have ever watched a professional washer, you probably did not see him using a spray bottle and a roll of paper towels. This technique removes some of the abrasive dirt, but much of it is just spread in an even film over the glass. It may look fine at night, but when the sun hits it, it is a mess.

To really clean windows well, you must remove all the dirt and then rinse it thoroughly before you attempt to dry it off. A good quality squeegee and a lambs wool-type scrubber are a must for a good job. A medium- to long-nap fleece scrubber is also effective for applying the soapy solution.

The key is to get the scrubber well saturated with the solution so that it both picks up the majority of the dirt from the glass as it floods and rinses it. When it is squeegeed dry, only clean solution is being squeegeed off. Remember that glass is relatively soft and porous, so rubbing it hard with dirty paper towels can scratch and dull its surface over time.

If some of the glass windows still have some specks of cement, paint or tree sap on them, try using a 'porcupine' scrubber. This type of scrubber has strong synthetic bristles with coarse ends. It will not scratch the glass, but it will dislodge the heavier dirt. A scraper will also help, but always use a new blade that has no burrs that may cause fine scratches on the glass.

Using the squeegee properly to remove the water is the final and most important step. Make sure to use a high-quality, professional squeegee with a brass body and replaceable rubber blades. Brass is a relatively soft metal, so it will not scratch the glass if you bump it. An 18-inch wide one works best, but you might try a 12-inch squeegee first to get the hang of it.

If you have trouble finding a professional squeegee, try janitorial supply outlets in your area. The proper squeegee technique is a horizontal pass across the window starting at the top. Tilt the squeegee so that the water flows down on to the already wet area below. After each stroke, wipe off the squeegee with a lint-free cloth (most paint stores sell these). Overlap each stroke by about two inches for the best results.

When you are done with the squeegee, use the lint-free cloth in a vertical direction down each edge of the glass to remove all the water. Another good tip is to never clean windows in the sun. The heat from the sun will cause the window to dry too fast to avoid streaks.

Tools and materials required: lambs wool scrubber, squeegee, lint-free rags, soap or detergent, water

Good luck all you cleaners. Can't wait to see pictures of your clean homes next spring.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 17:26 (102974)

Thanks for the suggestions, Pauline! That's two for two suggesting water and a squeegee. I hope I can find one that is the right size for cleaning the panes in my French doors. :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 17:27 (102975)

you should be posting these under new threads, pauline. 'Useful Information 1,' 'Useful Information 2,' and so on. now i REALLY have a bunch of info to wow people with at a christmas party, if an invitation is forthcoming.

nancy

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 17:30 (102977)

carole, i don't know why, but i just feel sure you don't have to mop.

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 17:38 (102980)

laurie, bless your heart, my house is probably not as clean as you'd like to think, but i should accept your belief anyway!

actually, it stays clean enough because phil is a clean freak. that's only relative to me -- actually, he's probably normal.

i will tell you, though: i do wash dishes, and i would never never wash them without soap!

laurie, stay around more these days and entertain yourself and us, okay? thinking of you.

nancy

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 17:42 (102982)

yes, i do have one more tip for you, carole: if you wear glasses, take them off while walking around at home. it's the healthy thing to do! saves feet, knees, shoulders, mind, etc.

nancy

Re: Good grief, you guys!

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 18:31 (102984)

I leave work and stop to get my orthotics re-covered on the way home, and look at what all's gone on in that measly little bit of time!! You're all just unbelievable!!

Carole, I have a ScotchBrite microfiber cloth--I don't remember if it's called a Cleaning Cloth or the High-Performance Cleaning Cloth, but it did a great job on my glasses (when they were still made of glass) and other glass things. I'm sure it would do well on windows, though I have to say that the squeegee idea sounds better for the arms. I got the cloth at Wal-Mart for a few dollars, if that sounds appealing.

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 18:33 (102985)

Thanks for the info, Pauline. My big challenge is the textures in the kitchen linoleum and the grouted areas on the tile. Sounds like this might be a good idea, and doesn't involve the waste and nasty chemicals of the mops I was looking at, and the price is about the same.

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 18:35 (102986)

Wow! That's quite a list.

So here's my question about cleaning glass--how the heck do you clean the inside of your windshield without a) becoming a professional contortionist or b) leaving icky streak marks. I've thought about the squeegee idea but I'm not sure how to do that in the car. I confess it's becoming a bit of an obsession of mine....I really hate streaky/dirty windows in my car.

Leon S. on 12/13/02 at 18:54 (102987)

Aaaaarrrrgh! All of these posts showed up on my email!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 19:13 (102990)

Take my glassess off while walking around at home? I'd bump into everything in sight! LOL

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 19:15 (102991)

Thanks! I'm thinking that the microfiber cloth might be a good idea because I'm not sure a squeegee would be small enough for my little glass panes. I guess I could try both. Apparently water is the liquid of choice to use on these windows. (?)

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 19:22 (102993)

You might be able to find a small squeegee somewhere--especially if you go to a janitorial supply place. The microfiber cloth should be a good second, though, aside from the fact that it'll be more work. The cloth doesn't usually require any liquid at all. I use mine for dusting as well--it has lots of little grabber squares (for want of a better term) so it really holds onto the muck.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 19:33 (102997)

Great! I'll look for a small squeegee then. Most of what I have is plain old house dirt/dust. You know, sort of greyish, not sticky, doesn't build up too fast. It should be relatively easy with the right tool (which apparently is a squeegee). The 'more work' part doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 19:44 (102999)

Well, you may be psychic. I'm not entirely sure that I DO need to mop, since I don't have anyone over and since I can't see the dirt myself. After all, I really don't EAT off the floors, so why should they be clean enough to do so? I guess it's just the idea. Still, I thought the new style mops would let me just give it a once-over and assuage my guilt. LOL

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 19:51 (103000)

Hey, maybe that's my problem, too--floor-guilt! Though, right now I have a bad case of whole-house guilt. Pending visitors do that to you, I guess....

Re: For Leon

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 19:54 (103001)

Just think of the new information you've picked up today! Once your feet have recovered, you can go into the cleaning business!

I have one question, has this been intellectually stimulating?

Pauline on 12/13/02 at 20:54 (103009)

Nancy,
Hope you get that invitation, if not throw your own party now that your saturated with information. Let me know if you need information on how to clean spider webs while still maintaining their dignity. This one is a little more tricky. One entire chapter has been devoted to it in my book titled 'If You Must Clean Without A Service':*)

Re: Cleaning spider webs

Julie on 12/14/02 at 02:13 (103021)

Yes please, Pauline. Let us have it! This is definitely one of my major preoccupations.

Sheila S on 12/14/02 at 04:06 (103025)

Hi Carole C

I've used a squeegee for years and years. I love them. But I have a bit of advice...I went to buy a couple new ones and found out you MUST buy one that has a REALLY flexible rubber strip. A hard strip doesn't work nearly as well (I ended up tossing my new ones). I have a little one that's the perfect size for small panes, it has a slightly abrasive net-like material over sponge on one side and soft rubber on the other. The handle is about 18' long (which would be easier to use cut shorter...).

Another key factor when using a squeegee (if it's a larger window) - I carry paper towels with me for this - after each swipe, wipe the water off the blade. Otherwise you end up with a wet line over and over.... And I use a paper towel to wipe the outside edges dry. It's very quick and much easier on the arms and shoulders. (Professional window cleaners are skilled at using a butterfly motion, or rather figure/pattern, and never remove the rubber from the window until they're at the bottom. This takes some skill and I could never master it. I learned this watching them when I worked in a high-rise).

Lastly, I use Dawn (yes, dish washing liquid) as my cleaner! Just a small amount in a bucket of hot water and my windows and patio doors look fantastic. =) Cuts grease, rinses clean, no film.... etc. etc.

Happy cleaning! P.S. I now use Dawn even when I'm doing windows that I have to use paper towels on, and mirrors, glass on pictures, etc. for the same reason. Best stuff invented!

S

Re: Mirrors & Windows - Cars

Sheila S on 12/14/02 at 04:15 (103029)

Hey Nancy, I just recently tried something on my car windows. I was driving my husband's truck (NASTY windows!) and I HATE not being able to see clearly (especially since I'm kind of night-blind) and had to stop in at Walmart for something.... I'm a sucker for those things they have displayed at the check-out counter (aarrghhhh!) but this time I picked a winner. They had a 'to-go' package of ready-to-use Windex wipes (I believe that's what they were). I was skeptical and figured it would be a smeared, mucky mess, but had to do SOMEthing because I couldn't see (that wonder-chemical that cures ANYthing, called 'mom's spit', just wasn't working!!), so grabbed a pack.

I pulled one out, a nice soft material and thick enough to do the job. It was night so I figured well, the window looks great NOW and I can see wonderful NOW, but I bet it'll look really nasty tomorrow in the daylight.

You guessed it, the window looked great! I was pretty amazed. I promptly proceeded to clean all the windows in all our cars. LOL

As to the contortion part, I haven't figured out how to get around that...

S =)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 04:22 (103030)

That's interesting! I never would have thought of trying Dawn on windows, but it makes sense that if it cleans dishes it would clean windows too. Thanks! :)

Gee, with all these great suggestions I am getting more motivated to clean my windows now. LOL

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 08:46 (103034)

Sheila--

Thanks for the info. I'd seen those wipes but wasn't sure that they'd work any better than the regular cleaning fluids. I got a bottle of Armor-All glass cleaner a few months ago, which said is was especially for the icky muck that forms on windshields. I have to say, that did work pretty well, but I am still in a constant battle for un-streakiness. (This is partly my own fault because I am becoming really anal about this and keep messing with even the smallest streak and I'm sure I'm just making it worse in the process). I got a funky little gizmo at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago that was called something like a 'window mop.' It's basically a chamois that's wrapped up into a sort of chignon knot, and you can use it to clean the windows. That seems to work fairly well, though we still have the contortion issue. That's why I was thinking a squeegee might work better, because you'd have a handle to use and might not have to twist around so much. But then what do you do to keep the liquid from getting all over the car? Cover it in towels? That's the best idea I've had, but I'm just not brave (or desperate!) enough to try it yet.

Pauline on 12/14/02 at 09:07 (103042)

Sorry, Julie your going to have to purchase the book for this one.

Julie on 12/14/02 at 09:09 (103044)

OK, Pauline, you're on. How much is it?

I need it.

Pauline on 12/14/02 at 09:16 (103048)

Actually the book has been banned in England at the Queen's request. It was putting too many people out of work:*) Her own employees were complaining.

john h on 12/14/02 at 09:40 (103055)

Carole: what is more halarious is me the whipped macho guy doing all the mppping. I find Armstong no wax (mostly ammonia) the best for no wax floors. The dry swifters are pretty good for reaching high on the wall to use much like a duster. The wet swifters are lousy and as ohters posted leave a sticky residue.

john h on 12/14/02 at 09:45 (103057)

One thing the military teaches you Laurie is how to clean, spit polish, and keep things in their place. My close closet still stands at attention and my faithful shoe shine kit is near at hand although not much to shine with those Birks,

john h on 12/14/02 at 09:46 (103058)

Richard do you have a little apron!!

john h on 12/14/02 at 09:51 (103059)

Great line Pauline unless you are that rich. We have moved 25 times all across the country. When you live on military base housing and move the house has to pass an inspeciton for cleanliness before you can leave and I mean it must be spit and polish clean. Nice thing about that was if you moved into a base house it would be just that way. It would take me about 2-3 days to completely have the house ready to go after moving in. Picutres hung, curtins up or on order and everything in its place. Our biggest problem always was hanging picutres. My wife always wanted it moved 1/2' one way or the other.

john h on 12/14/02 at 10:00 (103060)

Pauline: I just this summer solved my window cleaning problems. I bought all new double paned widows for my home (23 of them) and now I just fold hem out from the inside and can do a 5-6' window in and out in 5 minutes. It once took me at least an hour a window because I had to go outside, get on a lader, remove the storm windows, etc. Year before last a metal storm window came loose and came down in the track and pulled three fingernails completely out of the fingers and broke the tips of three fingers. No more of that action. I wanted to screem but all I could do was just let out a big breath of air as it happened so quickly. I could not stand to look at my hand so I covered it with a towell and headed to the Doctor. .

john h on 12/14/02 at 10:02 (103061)

also Carole in the new double paned windows the dividers (if you choose them) are between the air sealed panes so you are always working with one large pane of glass.

john h on 12/14/02 at 10:03 (103062)

I must be living in the other world. you girls are telling me that there are wives who clean windows??????

john h on 12/14/02 at 10:05 (103063)

Yes Carole I know about microfibre cleaning clothes. I use them on my computer and tv screens. they retain dust well. i think i got mine at Home Depot in a package of three. I know all about cleaning anything.

john h on 12/14/02 at 10:07 (103064)

Pauline you have excellent suggestions but not nearly as good as a wife saying get off that couch and clean the windowns.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 10:09 (103065)

John, mopping is a macho guy kind of thing to do! It takes a lot of muscle to do a good job mopping. Or, so I'm told since I don't really put as much muscle into it as I should.

Thanks especially for the idea of using the dry swifters to get up high on the walls. That will help me in getting down the cobwebs once they form.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 10:12 (103066)

John, you are a fountain of knowledge! Thanks. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 10:15 (103067)

Some of my French doors are like that on the outside, but they have separate panes of glass on the inside. You can't win.

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 10:23 (103071)

I didn't think to mention that before, Carole, but John is right--they're great for cobwebs and other high items.

Re: Cleaning windows ~ Anyone heard of this?

Suzanne D on 12/14/02 at 12:22 (103089)

I really do need all of you with your good tips and suggestions to help me clean this classroom! Although why I'm worried about it, I don't know. It's not that anyone's coming in here after we leave! I just hate to have a dusty mess around the children this last week as they take everything out of the room. I stopped counting at 101 boxes, and am now over at school to do just a little bit more. I was told to be ready Monday for everything but my desk and theirs to be taken out, but that they might not be able to do it until Tuesday. I will keep my rocking chair, the Christmas tree, a CD player, and my Christmas books and decorations. I have three little shelves made from PVC pipe and plastic slelving which I'll keep and move on my own. Then I have something to put things on for the week.

Well, back to cleaning windows. You all have lots of tips! Have any of you used newspapers to clean before? I heard about that years ago; something was said about the newsprint not streaking as much as paper towels. I use Windex and the newspaper. Maybe that's crazy, but it works! (And it's cheaper than paper towels. Perhaps that's how I heard about it. It was out of necessity!)

I think cleaning would be more fun if we got together like the pioneers used to do for the quilting bees and barn-raisings. It's the doing it by myself that I don't enjoy. 'Many hands make light work' I've always heard!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 12:30 (103092)

The newspaper is a good idea that I'd forgotten about! Thanks, Suzanne.

If anyone wants to test the 'Many hands make light work' principle, you can come over and clean my windows with me. (grin)

Seriously, I think you're right about that. It's cleaning by myself that I don't enjoy. Sometimes it helps if I turn on some energetic music, especially jazz music or anything snappy.

Well, I'm procrastinating. LOL

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/14/02 at 12:40 (103094)

I'm procrastinating, too! I need to turn on my Oak Ridge Boys Christmas tape and get up from this computer and get some work done! But it's nice to spend some time reading and catching up on the posts.

Julie on 12/14/02 at 12:47 (103096)

I shall never get over the miracle of being able to talk to people on the other side of the world at the same moment.

Re: Isn't that the truth?!

Suzanne D on 12/14/02 at 12:51 (103097)

I can be working and stop at my computer, hit the 'refresh' button and continue or begin a conversation!!

How are you, Julie?

Richard, C.Ped on 12/14/02 at 12:55 (103100)

'Richard sticks his tongue out at John and blows raspberries at him'
LOL
Richard

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 13:17 (103104)

I just love the Oak Ridge Boys! That sounds like great music to clean by. Well, I finally got dressed and straightened up the kitchen. Starting to get energetic.

And yes, it is amazing to me that I can be talking to someone in Kentucky, someone in England, and someone in New England all at the same time. It's like science fiction.

Carole C

Re: good music...

Suzanne D on 12/14/02 at 13:20 (103105)

Yes, the Oak Ridge Boys music is good to work by! And just as I stopped by the computer to see if anyone else had posted and saw yours, the song 'Christmas Carole' came on!

By the way, have you decorated your new house for Christmas? I was trying to imagine what you put in the alcove. I imagine that would be a nice place for some decorations.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 13:51 (103106)

I haven't decorated at all yet, because to tell the truth I don't have any decorations at all yet. I had been saving money for a house and living very frugally during the five years since my divorce. But now that I'm out of the apartment and have my house, it's time that I get some and I will probably get a few each year. Maybe I will pick some up this afternoon!

When my daughter was growing up, we would buy a special Christmas ornament or two every year, and each one had such meaning and nostalgia. Plus, we had the ornaments she made in school and so on. In a divorce, someone gets the Christmas things and in my case it was my daughter and husband. So, I need to begin with something this year. It's kind of hard to start over from nothing in buying Christmas decorations. I would like to continue with my previous tradition of buying one or two special ornaments or decorations each year so that they mean something to me. Hopefully that will happen even now that my little girl is grown and gone.

Right now my mirrored alcove in the living room has a fake plant on the bottom shelf. On the middle shelf I put a fairly large and artistic yellow ceramic bird that is a music box, that I found at a garage sale, and some pretty crystal and wine glasses and various vases that look shiny and nice in the reflections (more garage sale stuff). On the top shelf is a large and beautiful green glass pitcher that I bought new, and some other colored glassware that I got at the garage sale. That was a great garage sale! I nearly filled up my alcove for $2.80 .

My plan is that as I find items or curios that are especially beautiful over the next few years, the garage sale things will be slowly 'retired' and replaced by them. At least now the alcove doesn't look totally empty.

Maybe I will see a beautiful Christmas decoration that would fit there. I will keep my eyes open for something special.

Carole C

Re: decorations, memories, and new beginnings...

Suzanne D on 12/14/02 at 14:03 (103108)

I'm like you, Carole, in that I try to find inexpensive items (And I don't care if they were cheap, if I like them!) at sales or after the season, etc. What you have in your alcove sounds lovely. Most of my decorations have come - as you might imagine - from school children over the years and have special memories.

But you are right: new memories have to start with a new beginning! I must keep that in mind as we move to the new building. (I know you all must be getting tired of hearing about my move to the new school! Please just keep being patient with me; I appreciate it!) I have been rather sad the past couple of hours as I have boxed up the last of the things I won't need this week.

I wrote a little poem this week and posted it above a huge stack of boxes in the hall right past my room (which were getting on my nerves). We were having our Christmas program with a huge crowd expected, and I thought the boxes looked so ugly in the hall.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are boxes in the classrooms
And boxes down the hall.
They reach right to the ceiling;
There's hardly room for all!

We've boxed up all our teaching aids
And almost every book.
There are piles and piles of things
Wherever you may look.

But one thing is still with us
That can't be boxed away;
It's the care for one another
That gets us through each day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you find something this Christmas season to buy as your new and first decoration for your new house. Perhaps it can have some connection to all your friends on this board who admire and appreciate you. Maybe some type of Christmas Around the World decoration?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 14:28 (103109)

You are so sweet, Suzanne, and what a sweet poem to post! I never get tired of hearing about your move because it's a tremendous challenge to move a first grade class, especially with foot/heel pain.

I like the way you put it: 'new memories have to start with a new beginning!' I need to let the older memories remain, but also to realize that new memories can be nice too.

I will definitely keep an eye out for some type of Christmas Around the World decoration, and I suspect that when I see my first decoration I will know it is the one. It may not cost much but it will seem just right. In years to come, when I get it out I will say to myself, 'oh, and look at this one! This was my very first Christmas decoration in my new home.' And I'll remember how lucky I feel right now to have a home of my own to decorate.

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:23 (103119)

doesn't the queen have spider webs on her person at this point? she should be more appreciative. i agree, they are BEAUTIFUL things, one of the great wonders of nature. i couldn't tear one down to save my life.

nancy

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:30 (103121)

john, i bow deeply to you. with this post kind of post, you prove that you're not just mouthing off and making up all that stuff about how mary makes you do all the housework. i mean, the detail you provide here! it's way over my head! so what's the hold she has over you, besides beauty?

although i've removed my email address from the posting box, today i've been blessed with about 37 posts in my inbox on the subjects of 'new-style floor mops' and 'small pity party.' the former is giving phil false hope. he's going to be having a pity party himself very soon, possibly tonight.

nancy

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:44 (103126)

john, my dad served in the navy for four years during world war II. he always talks about how perfectly they had to place everything, and how their bed covers had to be a certain number of inches off the floor all the way around, etc. You should see his place now. in his physical surroundings, he's about the most crooked person i've ever seen. it was only after he and my mother separated when i was 30 that i realized where my neat-less genes came from.
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 17:46 (103127)

I went to Home Depot and got a microfiber cloth, a squeegee, and some pre-packaged clothes with windex in them just on a whim.

I tried the microfiber cloth and it was wonderful on the glass panes of my cupboards, and got rid of fingerprints and smears immediately. I think it was the last one that Home Depot had, or else I would have bought several.

The squeegie that I got is 8' but looks about right. It doesn't have the scrubber on the reverse side, which is SO handy, but it will probably work. I'll try it tomorrow since it's too dark to do windows well, by now.

It's a lot more fun to do windows properly armed. LOL

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:53 (103131)

suzanne, what does hitting the 'refresh' button do? i have one -- i just don't use it, because i don't know what it will do and i don't want it to do something i wasn't hoping for.

scott used to tell me to hit the 'refresh' button when i was having a problem on this site, but my web-tv didn't have a refresh button, and by the time i did have a computer with a refresh button, i was reluctant to follow that advice. it sounded like erasing.

nancy

john h on 12/14/02 at 19:39 (103139)

Suzanne: Turn on Elvis and Blue Xmas--

john h on 12/14/02 at 19:40 (103140)

And Richard looks like a memember of 'Kiss' when he does that.

john h on 12/14/02 at 19:43 (103141)

Our neighborhood association (we have one thousand homes in our neigborhood of Pleasant Valley) wants to start a tradition of every home placing a xmas tree real or otheriwse with white bulbs in front of every house in in the neighborhood.

pala on 12/14/02 at 19:44 (103143)

how do the non christians feel about that?

john h on 12/14/02 at 19:55 (103145)

Nancy: I was not neat as a child but somewhere along the way I became organized (better than neat freak). My wife really never made me do all that house cleaning i just gravitated towards it and like flying a plane did it by the book and very precisely which is fine with her. The one area in my life I pay little attention to is 'spelling'. The only one on this board who might spell worse than I is Dr. Z. If you all remember, when he first started posting, he was roundly critized because of his spelling. The greatest thing I have learned on the board this past year was from Suzanne our wonderful teacher. She taught me to spell 'a lot' and not alot. I will never forget the boy she made write 'a' on one end of the black board and 'lot' on the other end. As you can see I am on the higher end of the education plain. In business I do use my spell checker but I figure you guys are so smart from eating all the moon pies you can get my meaning.

john h on 12/14/02 at 20:00 (103146)

good point Pala but since the Temple in squarely in the middle of our neighborhood I have not heard any boos. They have a lovely large star of David (I guess that is what you call it) which I can see from my front yard at night. I will just pose that question to the President of the neighborhood association. She is an Airline Stewardess and put it in the monthly news letter. She has the job from h--- as everyone is on her case.

Re: refresh button

Suzanne D on 12/14/02 at 22:05 (103148)

Hi, Nancy! When I read the boards, I click on the 'Index' choice of the particular board I want to read, and then I see all the subject titles and persons who have posted on that page of threads. Then I click on the subject to read the post.

If I've been reading or posting for awhile, I click on the refresh button, and then any new messages which have been posted while I was reading show up after the screen is 'refreshed'. The other way I could see new posts is to 'back out' of the board to the menu section and then click again on 'index'.

Hope I didn't confuse you more by my explanation!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 22:16 (103149)

Sometimes I am SO GLAD that I don't have to deal with a neighborhood association. Most of the houses on my block have Christmas decorations, and they are very pretty and individual, each reflecting the tastes and preferences of the owners. I really like it that way. Some show the nativity, some are more oriented towards Santa and snowmen, and some just have lights. And then there's me who has nothing up this year. I might get a wreath.

Still, I suppose a neighborhood association could be really helpful in keeping property values up. Nobody can pave over his front yard or paint over his brick home.

Believe it or not, one of the houses I looked at (when I was house-hunting) had the lovely bricks painted over with a dark, shiny hideous blue-green enamel paint. They wanted top dollar, too. My realtor and I were aghast and I bought my present house instead.

Carole C

pala on 12/14/02 at 22:37 (103154)

i rented a house once with an association. it was awful. fighting. suing. i decided never to do that. my neighborhood is very diverse, very interesting. intown atlanta, quickly renovating. perfectly renovated victorian mansions next to run down houses. it was the fastest appreciating neighborhood in atlanta last time i looked. only four or five years ago it was one of the most poverty stricken dangerous neighborhoods in the city. we lucked out and got our house unrenovated a few years ago for a very good price. we are renovating it ourself mostly so it will be maybe a zillion years till it's perfect. it's fun tho. we've finally gotten around to the kitchen. i believe there will be a floor over the plywood this week. you think when you get into this it will be a few months and presto. but time, money, paint fumes destroying brain cells. but doin it slow has allowed us to really think things thru and suit it just right for us.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 23:24 (103156)

I think maybe it's different when you buy a house in a neighborhood that has an association. You choose to do that, so I think most people would stay within the rules.

Sometimes it is just about a necessity to be in an association if some people just won't even bother to keep up their houses otherwise. Around here, people really don't want to live next to run down places so property values are a factor. I guess to be more complete, what I should have said is that I'm glad that I'm in a neighborhood that is quite stable and in which everybody does keep up their houses. Because everybody 'plays the game', an association isn't necessary, and we can have trees with white lights in the front yard if we want them, or little reindeer, or the three wise men, or whatever.

Carole C

Re: Elvis

wendyn on 12/14/02 at 23:32 (103157)

John - that's funny, was just listening to Blue Christmas this afternoon!

Suzanne D on 12/15/02 at 07:20 (103170)

Yes, that's a classic, John. It always makes me think of 10 years ago at my school when we had a 'Rock 'n Roll Review' (dinner and entertainment) for a PTA fund-raiser. A nice newly hired male teacher (who does look somewhat like Elvis in his 30's) consented to be Elvis for the evening. He even rented a white jumpsuit with sequins. And he sang, among other things, 'Blue Christmas'. He's a good singer, too!

A grandmother of one of the students said she wished she could be back in 4th grade and be in his room. She said she would never take her eyes off of him if she were!

pala on 12/15/02 at 09:38 (103179)

atlanta is going thru a vast intown renovation so there's lots of fantastically renovated homes next to run down homes. the traffic is so bad here that folks are now moving back in from the suburbs, to which they fled a few decades ago. we like to drive around our area each week and see what's being renovated next. we like seeing these lovely victorians and craftsman bungalows being brought to their former majesty. it also gives us ideas for our own renovation project. our neighborhood was just 'discovered' a few years ago so the lots are very large, since no one has built here in so long. sidewalks, lots of very large old trees. it is like a time warp from an older america. we love it.

john h on 12/15/02 at 09:39 (103180)

Carole: Our association recently lost its way in the fog and raised our annnual dues and were proposing borrowing $500,000 to upgrade our two neighborhood pools to something like theme parks.and have an assessment. The average age of people in our neighborhood must be around 53 and not many have small children to use these upgraded pools. We had a membership meeting at a local church and around 700 of the 1000 property owners showed up and the board was put back on the straight and narrow of fiscal responsibility and that means pay as we go.

john h on 12/15/02 at 09:44 (103181)

Our neighborhood is about 35 years old and on the far western end of the city with lots of natural old growth trees and park area. It is well maintaind and the rules are enforced without any problems. People from all around drive here just to walk. I have lived in this neighborhood for about 28 years and I think my home has probably nearly trippled in value. As I type this and look out my window into my back yard I can see nothing but trees and blue skiy.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 10:58 (103188)

It sounds beautiful, John.. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 10:58 (103189)

It must be a fascinating place to live, pala :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 11:02 (103191)

I'm glad that your association didn't go nuts with your assessments. I wouldn't really want a near theme park in my neighborhood either! We don't have a pool, but then this is just a nice suburban community without an association or dues.

Carole C

john h on 12/16/02 at 08:48 (103263)

cleaning without soap: when we camped in the desert and used metal plates we cleaned the plates with sand and rinsed them in what ever water we could find.

john h on 12/16/02 at 08:49 (103264)

as long as you do not nag about the way I clean.

john h on 12/16/02 at 08:52 (103266)

Yes Pauline I use microfiber clothes to clean my tv screens and computer equipment but are they not expensive to use on a mop. my clothes are also pretty in that they are blue and yellow in color.

john h on 12/16/02 at 08:55 (103267)

actually i have never found anything better than windex and a paper towell. provessionals use squeeges for the most part because they are fast and effective and you can reach a good distance with the extendable poles. if you have dividers in your window they are out of the mix and if you are fussy you still need to get into the corners with paper towells.

john h on 12/16/02 at 09:04 (103269)

One Xmas day in Vietnam we had a radio station that was collecting money for the local orphanage. You would call in and they would play a xmas song for your donation. a group of guys got together and bought out the entire day to play only one song 'Rudoloph the Red Nose Reindeer' by Gene Autry. This was our only radio station. I still hear that tuue blaring on the radio, on a big speaker outside the radio station on the base, in the BX,etc. You could not escape it.

Re: good music... and house renovation

nancy s. on 12/16/02 at 09:07 (103270)

paula, i had no idea you're involved in the same chaos. we did the same thing with our last house (took eight years) and are doing it now with the current one. this one is very small -- four rooms -- so living in three rooms at a time, one of which is always piled high with furniture and stuff from the room being worked on, is a major challenge for my husband, me, and our three cats, two of whom don't get along.

we have lost about ten billion brain cells along the way, due to fumes and possibly picking out colors, which i obsess over for weeks or months at a time. my brain is in actual physical pain from thinking about color, and still i can't stop. because it's fun! but help!

nancy

pala on 12/16/02 at 10:00 (103282)

can't help. every color paint we pick out ends up tan with an underbase of pink. we hate it. of course it has to go on and be on for a while till you realize you hate it. we also have three cats. since the previous poorer residents are being bought out (or worse taxed out) they leave behind their cats. none of whom are spayed. there are strays everywwehre. we adopted three and they make the most unsatisfying pets. shell shocked, tough ghetto kitties filled with fight and rage and terror at all times. i have a theory about why neighborhoods deteriorate. we renovaters lower our I Q each year from breathing paint fumes . then exactly when the last house in the neighborhood is perfect we are all totally mentally deficient and the neighborhood goes downhill till the next batch of folks start the process again :)

pala on 12/16/02 at 10:07 (103285)

can't help. every color paint we pick out ends up tan with an underbase of pink. we hate it. of course it has to go on and be on for a while till you realize you hate it. we also have three cats. since the previous poorer residents are being bought out (or worse taxed out) they leave behind their cats. none of whom are spayed. there are strays everywwehre. we adopted three and they make the most unsatisfying pets. shell shocked, tough ghetto kitties filled with fight and rage and terror at all times. i have a theory about why neighborhoods deteriorate. we renovaters lower our I Q each year from breathing paint fumes . then exactly when the last house in the neighborhood is perfect we are all totally mentally deficient and the neighborhood goes downhill till the next batch of folks start the process again :) help ME!

Re: Rudolph

Suzanne D on 12/16/02 at 11:25 (103289)

We just read the story of Rudolph today, John! We then had a story to complete with missing words to fill in. I also had a riddle paper for the children to find the answers to by breaking a word code:

Where do gingerbread men sleep?
On cookie sheets

Why does Rudolph need an umbrella?
Because he's a 'Rain'deer!

As I child, I had the 45 rpm record of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer by Gene Autry. I listened to it over and over as it was a favorite of mine.

Nancy N on 12/16/02 at 16:30 (103312)

You haven't heard Rudolph until you've heard Ella Fitzgerald sing it--though maybe I'm just partial because I'm an unabashed fan of hers. Of course, there's also that perennial favorite from medieval times--'Rudolphus Rubrinasus.'

nancy s. on 12/16/02 at 17:17 (103319)

that's one unique theory, paula. maybe you could run for office on that issue? 'people who breathe paint fumes more than once every decade not allowed to be homeowners.'

tan with an underbase of pink and you hate it -- thanks for today's big laugh!

if you haven't had your three stray cats for long, give 'em time. two of our three were ferals, and it took a lot of attention and coaxing to bring them around -- i mean, it was exhausting. after six months my voice was hoarse (from whispering, yet), and my neck is permanently crooked. they've come a long way in three years, though. in any case, i'm glad someone (you) took them in. it's totally beyond me how anyone can leave a cat behind, but i know it happens every day. those people should be forced to breathe paint fumes.

don't forget tomorrow is tuesday.

nancy

pala on 12/16/02 at 19:54 (103345)

ah hail ye loyal and true clique ite.

pala on 12/16/02 at 19:55 (103346)

even as i type larry is putting in our kitchen floor. finally. not easy to keep crashing thru the floor as you eat your breakfast bagel.

JudyS on 12/16/02 at 20:21 (103351)

Pala - I figured out something about choosing a paint color a few years ago - I hope it doesn't seem insultingly simplistic and you can smack me for the suggestion if it is -
I finally realized that if I looked at the balance of the hues that made up the color I could, more or less, figure out what undertones might come out when a whole wall or room was done. For instance, if red claims most of the makeup of the color, then there'll be more of a pink hue to the tan. Does that make sense? Clearly I'm no artist or I'd have figured it out a long time ago and I'm guessing that you already have.

pala on 12/16/02 at 21:17 (103357)

hey. thanks. that's thinking. !! i'll do that.

Necee on 12/17/02 at 00:49 (103368)

Using Windex and newspaper works better than anything on windows and glass.
There's something about the ink used in the printing that cleans them so well, no streaks at all.

Happy trails..

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/02 at 21:56 (102864)

Don't those look cool?

I have never used them. I have been intrigued by them since I first saw the ads on TV. I only have a little bit of non-carpeted space too, thanks to some help from the board in choosing a fairly PF friendly house when I was house-hunting. My non-carpeted floors are very nice vinyl tile that looks like wood.

You are right; none of us here on this board need to be lugging around a bucket of water if we don't have to.

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 05:22 (102881)

i thought i cleared up this problem for everyone months ago, maybe even years.

don't clean!

i mean i can see sweeping or vacuuming, but mopping is above and beyond the call of duty. aren't you the only person who ever knows you did it?

nancy

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 05:37 (102885)

I wish! On the floors I have, it's really obvious if you haven't cleaned them. Especially the linoleum in the kitchen, which hangs onto anything that's spilled until it's forcibly removed. I have a regular Swiffer, which helps with the dry stuff, but anything that is stuck on won't budge that way. I actually sometimes take an old washcloth and put it on the swiffer, wet, and use that, which gets more. But it doesn't feel to me like it's really clean.

I suppose that's not as bad as washing dishes without soap (which I discovered a friend of mine does when I visited this weekend!), but it still seems to me like it should be done at least once or twice a year.

But I'm not about to go as far as Carmen and Necee and get down with a scrub brush to clean my floors. Entirely too painful. I like myself more than that....

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 05:46 (102886)

you have a point. a good point. i should stay out of cleaning discussions. i don't know enough about it.

i'm replying to you from my mailbox! this post probably won't tell you that, so i thought i'd mention it. this is like having a new toy, and christmas isn't even here yet.

nancy

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 08:04 (102894)

I got a Clorox Ready-Mop at Costco quite a while ago. I thought it would be the answer to my dreams. Wrong! Maybe it's my tile, but it left a film on it and it got dirtier much faster than it used to. I ended up having to wash the floor more often. I tried it a couple of times, thinking that maybe I was spraying too much of the cleaning liquid on it, but it still came out kind of sticky. I even tried cutting it with water. It sits downstairs, unused. I am using the three bottles of cleaning fluid to wash my kitchen counters, etc. I just transferred it to a spray bottle I had in the house. Works good for that!

I went back to using one of those sponge mops that you squeeze the water out of by pushing down a mechanism as opposed to squeezing the mop. That's much easier on my hand with the tendonitis.

I don't carry a bucket around with me when I wash my floor. I fill my dishpan up with ammonia and water and just walk over to the sink when I need to re-wet my mop. It works fine and I don't seem to leave any visible marks on the floor.

Years ago, I washed the floors once a week. Now I wash them when they look dirty, sometimes really dirty, and while it bothered me at first, I quickly got used to it. The older I get, the more sense it makes to not clean anything unless it really needs it!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 08:12 (102895)

This is hilarious... so far Nancy N, Nancy S, and I have posted.. three people who don't clean much talking about cleaning. I don't scrub the floor on my hands and knees any more, or at least I don't do that often because of the arthritis in my knees.

I have been contemplating mopping my kitchen, bathrooms, and hall floors for quite a while now. They don't show the dirt at all, or maybe that's the advantage of getting older and more near-sighted. They are vinyl tile, but the tile looks a lot like dark wood and I can't really tell the difference unless I touch it. It sweeps up nicely.

I never heard of washing dishes without soap. It would probably work if there wasn't any fat or grease to get off the plates.

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 08:22 (102898)

I can't even imagine washing dishes without soap. When I was a kid, I had a friend who was a riot. She was furious one day because it was her turn to wash the dishes, so she decided she'd get back at her mother by washing the dishes with soap but not rinsing any of them! Guess who the dumb shmuck was who ended up rinsing them all? You guessed it - but I ate at her house often enough that I thought I'd benefit in the long run!

carynz on 12/13/02 at 09:52 (102917)

heh there. I think the swiffer wetjet thingy is the best. I use i everyday on my kitchen and bathroom floors, takes like 10 minutes total. If you ever watch trading spaces you can do that fancysmancy dance the gal does to make it even more fun! Yahoo

cheers carynz

john h on 12/13/02 at 10:08 (102921)

Yes Nancy I have tried both the wet and dry type. I like the dry but not the wet because the residue it leaves seems to attract dirt to the non polish type tiles.

carynz on 12/13/02 at 10:18 (102922)

yes John you are so right about that. It doesn't do good on tile floors, but lino or wood laminate is great. Also, if you are very sensitive to chemicals etc or have pets who like to sniff in the kitchen etc, be very careful. A friend of mine had to get rid of hers because the chemicals in the liquid made her sneeze and gave her a scratchy throat for months before she figured out it was the Swiffer stuff. Also her little terrier would go along the floor checking things out as only dogs do and his nose got all chafed and he was scratching it as well. Just a word of caution is all.

cheers Caryn

Laurie R on 12/13/02 at 10:27 (102923)

John , I love your post... You just jump right in there with your cleaning style ... Now for anyone that does dishes without soap , that is just plain nasty ..... Nancy N , I hope you are not going to eat there again . Or if you do , bring your own paper plates ..... I think I may know who you are talking about and that just clearned up a few things ...... ?????

Nancy S , you are always so very funny about everything .... I love the way you write and the way you think. That is why you are my mentor !!!! I know you say you don't clean much , but I bet , no I know your hourse is clean ....

As for me , I am just like Carmen and Necee , my family has always said I have the cleaning disease ....... I think my mom did this to me ....

Have a great day , and now this is a good topic .....

Laurie R

Richard, C.Ped on 12/13/02 at 10:42 (102925)

My wife likes the Swiffer...or at least I think thats the name. We use this stuff called Spray and Mop. It seems to get all the dirt and grime up with ease. I like it too. Yes....I mop and help with housework. Don't laugh to hard guys...I can also bench press 250 pounds easily...LOL
Richard

Pauline on 12/13/02 at 10:49 (102927)

We don't use anything because we're so rich when the place get's dirty we just move:*)

Suzanne D on 12/13/02 at 12:09 (102932)

You ARE funny, Pauline! :-)

My mother was a social worker, and she used to take my sister's and my outgrown clothes to people whom she was trying to help. She stopped giving to this one family when she found out that when the clothes got too dirty they just threw them over the hill out back...No joke.

Suzanne D on 12/13/02 at 12:12 (102933)

My daughter in college said she and some of her friends have used one of those models at school. Maybe I can get her to demonstrate for me sometime! :-) That would be one way to get someone else to help me clean!

I guess I'm too suspicious about such new things. I always want to hear someone tell me that they really work before I try them.

If I could get up once I got down on my knees to scrub the floor, I would do it that way. But since someone would have to 'haul' me up, I guess I'll have to stick to using a mop!

JudyS on 12/13/02 at 12:25 (102938)

Nen - they don't scrub well and their handles are flimsy.

JudyS on 12/13/02 at 12:33 (102941)

Cool - can I come and live with you? :)

Pauline on 12/13/02 at 13:02 (102942)

In all seriousness, HSN sells a type of mop that I much prefer because it's good for the enviroment. It uses microfiber washable pads that are great for wood and tile flooring. It comes with washable pads that you use wet and then a dust type pad that you use dry.

It picks up dust much better than the Swifter paper mop things and you just throw the pad into the washer for next time.

I've seen the same type of mops sold over the internet.

HSN says the product was designed in Europe. I couldn't tell you, but on spills it really seems to work well too.

When demonstrating the mop they only use water as a cleaner. Since we have mega amounts of wood flooring the microfiber dry pads are used for dusting then the flooring is cleaned using a wood floor cleaning product with a flat toweling type mop head. All corners are done on hands and knees.

For fast spot clean ups I like the Swifter spray mop because all I have to do is press the button and push it a few times and the job is done until the cleaning crew arrives again.

If your using those paper swifter dusting papers you might consider these microfiber pads. I personally think they pick up dust much better than those paper things and they can be used over and over again.

The mop isn't expensive to purchase and it is certainly cheaper to operate because you don't have to keep buying paper sheets that you throw away.

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 13:30 (102947)

Laurie--

You do know who I'm talking about and I think perhaps my next gift will be a big bottle of Dawn wrapped up with a nice ribbon. Think that'd be a good hint? ;) I'm sure the situation is easily remedied.

I think I could do with a bout of the cleaning disease! It seems to have missed my household, even when I was a kid. I realized yesterday that my mom always did the same thing I've been doing--let everything get wrecked and then race around to clean it before company comes. I suppose it's true that, at least in some senses, the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree, as sad as that is in this instance!

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 13:31 (102948)

I dunno, I think I hate moving even more than I hate cleaning!!!

Re: mopping the floor

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 13:32 (102949)

Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like the Ready-Mop for tile. I discovered today that one of the reasons I don't have to wash my kitchen floor all that often. I am such a klutz that seldom does a week go by that I don't break something, usually containing liquid. So I have to get out the mop and while I'm at it, I usually just mop the whole floor. Of course, half the time it's without any cleaning prep but it seems to do the trick. My mother is turning over in her grave!

So this discussion has been good; it pointed out one of the positive sides to being a clod. (Nobody says that anymore; I'm dating myself!)

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 13:33 (102950)

Pauline--

Any idea what it's called? Just using water sounds good to me. And not having to keep spending money on cloths sounds good, too.

Thanks.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 13:34 (102951)

OK, as long as we are talking about house cleaning...

My new house has nine French doors with fifteen glass panes in each, three kitchen cabinets in that same style with six glass panes in each, and all of the other windows consist of small panes too. I don't have to clean any large picture windows, but I have 17 trillion small glass panes to clean in my house.

Any suggestions beyond Windex and a paper towel? How would you handle this challenge to minimize the work? vinegar? one of those squeegie cleaners?

I knew when I bought this house that this would be a big task, and I'm ready to tackle it. However I know that 'the right tool for the right job' can make a huge difference in household chores.

Carole C

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 13:40 (102953)

Carole,

Oh, how I hate washing windows. Not the actual act but since I have the problem with my shoulder and hand, I hurt so much afterward. I've never tried it but my chiropractor swears that his business would slow down if everyone used a squeegie. I guess you'd have to do the corners but it would cut down on the work. He got his at Home Depot. Don't know if they have those in LA but there must be a similar place.

In my next life, my windows are all going to have that grille thing and I'll just pop it out and wash the big paneless window and pop it back in.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 13:54 (102957)

Yes, we have Home Depot and in fact there's one right across the street from my work. Thanks! Anybody else have any tips for me?

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 14:52 (102958)

Does anybody know about something called microfiber cleaning cloths, or something like that? I heard they are great for cleaning windows. (?) But maybe a squeegie is better.

Carole C

Leon S. on 12/13/02 at 15:15 (102964)

Is there anything for people who actually sit at the computer and read thru all these posts...(like I just did)? Somehow, my foot doesn't hurt me as much anymore.

Re: Born to it

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 15:20 (102965)

Wow, if I can bore people so much that their feet hurt less and they heal, just think of the profits. It doesn't require any machinery and believe me, I was BORN to bore! LOL

Carole C

Pauline on 12/13/02 at 15:53 (102967)

Nancy,
It's called the Starfiber Microfiber Wet/Dry mop. Go to HSN's web site and type in Microfiber Mop. It will bring it up.

The kit, mop and pads, cost $19.95 + $4.95 S&H + tax.
Replacement pads are 4 for $14.50 + S&H & tax. You get 2 wet and 2 dry in the replacement packs.

If you just type microfiber mop into Yahoo search it will bring up
similar products at perhaps a better cost. I think they are all the same product, but I just purchased mine from HSN because I knew they would take it back if the ladies or I didn't like it. It's so easy to use the pads just stick to the mop. When your finished you just peel it off and wash it. I think once you try it especially for dusting you'd never go back to the paper Swifter stuff. This does a much better job.

As I say so far it's worked like a charm especially for dusting wood flooring. It seems to be great on tile too, but we don't have too much tile far more wood.

Pauline on 12/13/02 at 16:13 (102969)

Next time you clean your mirrors try rubbing alcohol with paper toweling or a cloth that doesn't leave lint. Works like a charm.

Found these tips for your windows. Hope you find it inspiring.

If you have ever watched a professional washer, you probably did not see him using a spray bottle and a roll of paper towels. This technique removes some of the abrasive dirt, but much of it is just spread in an even film over the glass. It may look fine at night, but when the sun hits it, it is a mess.

To really clean windows well, you must remove all the dirt and then rinse it thoroughly before you attempt to dry it off. A good quality squeegee and a lambs wool-type scrubber are a must for a good job. A medium- to long-nap fleece scrubber is also effective for applying the soapy solution.

The key is to get the scrubber well saturated with the solution so that it both picks up the majority of the dirt from the glass as it floods and rinses it. When it is squeegeed dry, only clean solution is being squeegeed off. Remember that glass is relatively soft and porous, so rubbing it hard with dirty paper towels can scratch and dull its surface over time.

If some of the glass windows still have some specks of cement, paint or tree sap on them, try using a 'porcupine' scrubber. This type of scrubber has strong synthetic bristles with coarse ends. It will not scratch the glass, but it will dislodge the heavier dirt. A scraper will also help, but always use a new blade that has no burrs that may cause fine scratches on the glass.

Using the squeegee properly to remove the water is the final and most important step. Make sure to use a high-quality, professional squeegee with a brass body and replaceable rubber blades. Brass is a relatively soft metal, so it will not scratch the glass if you bump it. An 18-inch wide one works best, but you might try a 12-inch squeegee first to get the hang of it.

If you have trouble finding a professional squeegee, try janitorial supply outlets in your area. The proper squeegee technique is a horizontal pass across the window starting at the top. Tilt the squeegee so that the water flows down on to the already wet area below. After each stroke, wipe off the squeegee with a lint-free cloth (most paint stores sell these). Overlap each stroke by about two inches for the best results.

When you are done with the squeegee, use the lint-free cloth in a vertical direction down each edge of the glass to remove all the water. Another good tip is to never clean windows in the sun. The heat from the sun will cause the window to dry too fast to avoid streaks.

Tools and materials required: lambs wool scrubber, squeegee, lint-free rags, soap or detergent, water

Good luck all you cleaners. Can't wait to see pictures of your clean homes next spring.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 17:26 (102974)

Thanks for the suggestions, Pauline! That's two for two suggesting water and a squeegee. I hope I can find one that is the right size for cleaning the panes in my French doors. :)

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 17:27 (102975)

you should be posting these under new threads, pauline. 'Useful Information 1,' 'Useful Information 2,' and so on. now i REALLY have a bunch of info to wow people with at a christmas party, if an invitation is forthcoming.

nancy

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 17:30 (102977)

carole, i don't know why, but i just feel sure you don't have to mop.

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 17:38 (102980)

laurie, bless your heart, my house is probably not as clean as you'd like to think, but i should accept your belief anyway!

actually, it stays clean enough because phil is a clean freak. that's only relative to me -- actually, he's probably normal.

i will tell you, though: i do wash dishes, and i would never never wash them without soap!

laurie, stay around more these days and entertain yourself and us, okay? thinking of you.

nancy

nancy s. on 12/13/02 at 17:42 (102982)

yes, i do have one more tip for you, carole: if you wear glasses, take them off while walking around at home. it's the healthy thing to do! saves feet, knees, shoulders, mind, etc.

nancy

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 18:31 (102984)

I leave work and stop to get my orthotics re-covered on the way home, and look at what all's gone on in that measly little bit of time!! You're all just unbelievable!!

Carole, I have a ScotchBrite microfiber cloth--I don't remember if it's called a Cleaning Cloth or the High-Performance Cleaning Cloth, but it did a great job on my glasses (when they were still made of glass) and other glass things. I'm sure it would do well on windows, though I have to say that the squeegee idea sounds better for the arms. I got the cloth at Wal-Mart for a few dollars, if that sounds appealing.

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 18:33 (102985)

Thanks for the info, Pauline. My big challenge is the textures in the kitchen linoleum and the grouted areas on the tile. Sounds like this might be a good idea, and doesn't involve the waste and nasty chemicals of the mops I was looking at, and the price is about the same.

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 18:35 (102986)

Wow! That's quite a list.

So here's my question about cleaning glass--how the heck do you clean the inside of your windshield without a) becoming a professional contortionist or b) leaving icky streak marks. I've thought about the squeegee idea but I'm not sure how to do that in the car. I confess it's becoming a bit of an obsession of mine....I really hate streaky/dirty windows in my car.

Leon S. on 12/13/02 at 18:54 (102987)

Aaaaarrrrgh! All of these posts showed up on my email!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 19:13 (102990)

Take my glassess off while walking around at home? I'd bump into everything in sight! LOL

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 19:15 (102991)

Thanks! I'm thinking that the microfiber cloth might be a good idea because I'm not sure a squeegee would be small enough for my little glass panes. I guess I could try both. Apparently water is the liquid of choice to use on these windows. (?)

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 19:22 (102993)

You might be able to find a small squeegee somewhere--especially if you go to a janitorial supply place. The microfiber cloth should be a good second, though, aside from the fact that it'll be more work. The cloth doesn't usually require any liquid at all. I use mine for dusting as well--it has lots of little grabber squares (for want of a better term) so it really holds onto the muck.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 19:33 (102997)

Great! I'll look for a small squeegee then. Most of what I have is plain old house dirt/dust. You know, sort of greyish, not sticky, doesn't build up too fast. It should be relatively easy with the right tool (which apparently is a squeegee). The 'more work' part doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/02 at 19:44 (102999)

Well, you may be psychic. I'm not entirely sure that I DO need to mop, since I don't have anyone over and since I can't see the dirt myself. After all, I really don't EAT off the floors, so why should they be clean enough to do so? I guess it's just the idea. Still, I thought the new style mops would let me just give it a once-over and assuage my guilt. LOL

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/13/02 at 19:51 (103000)

Hey, maybe that's my problem, too--floor-guilt! Though, right now I have a bad case of whole-house guilt. Pending visitors do that to you, I guess....

Re: For Leon

Kathy G on 12/13/02 at 19:54 (103001)

Just think of the new information you've picked up today! Once your feet have recovered, you can go into the cleaning business!

I have one question, has this been intellectually stimulating?

Pauline on 12/13/02 at 20:54 (103009)

Nancy,
Hope you get that invitation, if not throw your own party now that your saturated with information. Let me know if you need information on how to clean spider webs while still maintaining their dignity. This one is a little more tricky. One entire chapter has been devoted to it in my book titled 'If You Must Clean Without A Service':*)

Julie on 12/14/02 at 02:13 (103021)

Yes please, Pauline. Let us have it! This is definitely one of my major preoccupations.

Sheila S on 12/14/02 at 04:06 (103025)

Hi Carole C

I've used a squeegee for years and years. I love them. But I have a bit of advice...I went to buy a couple new ones and found out you MUST buy one that has a REALLY flexible rubber strip. A hard strip doesn't work nearly as well (I ended up tossing my new ones). I have a little one that's the perfect size for small panes, it has a slightly abrasive net-like material over sponge on one side and soft rubber on the other. The handle is about 18' long (which would be easier to use cut shorter...).

Another key factor when using a squeegee (if it's a larger window) - I carry paper towels with me for this - after each swipe, wipe the water off the blade. Otherwise you end up with a wet line over and over.... And I use a paper towel to wipe the outside edges dry. It's very quick and much easier on the arms and shoulders. (Professional window cleaners are skilled at using a butterfly motion, or rather figure/pattern, and never remove the rubber from the window until they're at the bottom. This takes some skill and I could never master it. I learned this watching them when I worked in a high-rise).

Lastly, I use Dawn (yes, dish washing liquid) as my cleaner! Just a small amount in a bucket of hot water and my windows and patio doors look fantastic. =) Cuts grease, rinses clean, no film.... etc. etc.

Happy cleaning! P.S. I now use Dawn even when I'm doing windows that I have to use paper towels on, and mirrors, glass on pictures, etc. for the same reason. Best stuff invented!

S

Sheila S on 12/14/02 at 04:15 (103029)

Hey Nancy, I just recently tried something on my car windows. I was driving my husband's truck (NASTY windows!) and I HATE not being able to see clearly (especially since I'm kind of night-blind) and had to stop in at Walmart for something.... I'm a sucker for those things they have displayed at the check-out counter (aarrghhhh!) but this time I picked a winner. They had a 'to-go' package of ready-to-use Windex wipes (I believe that's what they were). I was skeptical and figured it would be a smeared, mucky mess, but had to do SOMEthing because I couldn't see (that wonder-chemical that cures ANYthing, called 'mom's spit', just wasn't working!!), so grabbed a pack.

I pulled one out, a nice soft material and thick enough to do the job. It was night so I figured well, the window looks great NOW and I can see wonderful NOW, but I bet it'll look really nasty tomorrow in the daylight.

You guessed it, the window looked great! I was pretty amazed. I promptly proceeded to clean all the windows in all our cars. LOL

As to the contortion part, I haven't figured out how to get around that...

S =)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 04:22 (103030)

That's interesting! I never would have thought of trying Dawn on windows, but it makes sense that if it cleans dishes it would clean windows too. Thanks! :)

Gee, with all these great suggestions I am getting more motivated to clean my windows now. LOL

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 08:46 (103034)

Sheila--

Thanks for the info. I'd seen those wipes but wasn't sure that they'd work any better than the regular cleaning fluids. I got a bottle of Armor-All glass cleaner a few months ago, which said is was especially for the icky muck that forms on windshields. I have to say, that did work pretty well, but I am still in a constant battle for un-streakiness. (This is partly my own fault because I am becoming really anal about this and keep messing with even the smallest streak and I'm sure I'm just making it worse in the process). I got a funky little gizmo at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago that was called something like a 'window mop.' It's basically a chamois that's wrapped up into a sort of chignon knot, and you can use it to clean the windows. That seems to work fairly well, though we still have the contortion issue. That's why I was thinking a squeegee might work better, because you'd have a handle to use and might not have to twist around so much. But then what do you do to keep the liquid from getting all over the car? Cover it in towels? That's the best idea I've had, but I'm just not brave (or desperate!) enough to try it yet.

Pauline on 12/14/02 at 09:07 (103042)

Sorry, Julie your going to have to purchase the book for this one.

Julie on 12/14/02 at 09:09 (103044)

OK, Pauline, you're on. How much is it?

I need it.

Pauline on 12/14/02 at 09:16 (103048)

Actually the book has been banned in England at the Queen's request. It was putting too many people out of work:*) Her own employees were complaining.

john h on 12/14/02 at 09:40 (103055)

Carole: what is more halarious is me the whipped macho guy doing all the mppping. I find Armstong no wax (mostly ammonia) the best for no wax floors. The dry swifters are pretty good for reaching high on the wall to use much like a duster. The wet swifters are lousy and as ohters posted leave a sticky residue.

john h on 12/14/02 at 09:45 (103057)

One thing the military teaches you Laurie is how to clean, spit polish, and keep things in their place. My close closet still stands at attention and my faithful shoe shine kit is near at hand although not much to shine with those Birks,

john h on 12/14/02 at 09:46 (103058)

Richard do you have a little apron!!

john h on 12/14/02 at 09:51 (103059)

Great line Pauline unless you are that rich. We have moved 25 times all across the country. When you live on military base housing and move the house has to pass an inspeciton for cleanliness before you can leave and I mean it must be spit and polish clean. Nice thing about that was if you moved into a base house it would be just that way. It would take me about 2-3 days to completely have the house ready to go after moving in. Picutres hung, curtins up or on order and everything in its place. Our biggest problem always was hanging picutres. My wife always wanted it moved 1/2' one way or the other.

john h on 12/14/02 at 10:00 (103060)

Pauline: I just this summer solved my window cleaning problems. I bought all new double paned widows for my home (23 of them) and now I just fold hem out from the inside and can do a 5-6' window in and out in 5 minutes. It once took me at least an hour a window because I had to go outside, get on a lader, remove the storm windows, etc. Year before last a metal storm window came loose and came down in the track and pulled three fingernails completely out of the fingers and broke the tips of three fingers. No more of that action. I wanted to screem but all I could do was just let out a big breath of air as it happened so quickly. I could not stand to look at my hand so I covered it with a towell and headed to the Doctor. .

john h on 12/14/02 at 10:02 (103061)

also Carole in the new double paned windows the dividers (if you choose them) are between the air sealed panes so you are always working with one large pane of glass.

john h on 12/14/02 at 10:03 (103062)

I must be living in the other world. you girls are telling me that there are wives who clean windows??????

john h on 12/14/02 at 10:05 (103063)

Yes Carole I know about microfibre cleaning clothes. I use them on my computer and tv screens. they retain dust well. i think i got mine at Home Depot in a package of three. I know all about cleaning anything.

john h on 12/14/02 at 10:07 (103064)

Pauline you have excellent suggestions but not nearly as good as a wife saying get off that couch and clean the windowns.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 10:09 (103065)

John, mopping is a macho guy kind of thing to do! It takes a lot of muscle to do a good job mopping. Or, so I'm told since I don't really put as much muscle into it as I should.

Thanks especially for the idea of using the dry swifters to get up high on the walls. That will help me in getting down the cobwebs once they form.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 10:12 (103066)

John, you are a fountain of knowledge! Thanks. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 10:15 (103067)

Some of my French doors are like that on the outside, but they have separate panes of glass on the inside. You can't win.

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/14/02 at 10:23 (103071)

I didn't think to mention that before, Carole, but John is right--they're great for cobwebs and other high items.

Suzanne D on 12/14/02 at 12:22 (103089)

I really do need all of you with your good tips and suggestions to help me clean this classroom! Although why I'm worried about it, I don't know. It's not that anyone's coming in here after we leave! I just hate to have a dusty mess around the children this last week as they take everything out of the room. I stopped counting at 101 boxes, and am now over at school to do just a little bit more. I was told to be ready Monday for everything but my desk and theirs to be taken out, but that they might not be able to do it until Tuesday. I will keep my rocking chair, the Christmas tree, a CD player, and my Christmas books and decorations. I have three little shelves made from PVC pipe and plastic slelving which I'll keep and move on my own. Then I have something to put things on for the week.

Well, back to cleaning windows. You all have lots of tips! Have any of you used newspapers to clean before? I heard about that years ago; something was said about the newsprint not streaking as much as paper towels. I use Windex and the newspaper. Maybe that's crazy, but it works! (And it's cheaper than paper towels. Perhaps that's how I heard about it. It was out of necessity!)

I think cleaning would be more fun if we got together like the pioneers used to do for the quilting bees and barn-raisings. It's the doing it by myself that I don't enjoy. 'Many hands make light work' I've always heard!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 12:30 (103092)

The newspaper is a good idea that I'd forgotten about! Thanks, Suzanne.

If anyone wants to test the 'Many hands make light work' principle, you can come over and clean my windows with me. (grin)

Seriously, I think you're right about that. It's cleaning by myself that I don't enjoy. Sometimes it helps if I turn on some energetic music, especially jazz music or anything snappy.

Well, I'm procrastinating. LOL

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/14/02 at 12:40 (103094)

I'm procrastinating, too! I need to turn on my Oak Ridge Boys Christmas tape and get up from this computer and get some work done! But it's nice to spend some time reading and catching up on the posts.

Julie on 12/14/02 at 12:47 (103096)

I shall never get over the miracle of being able to talk to people on the other side of the world at the same moment.

Suzanne D on 12/14/02 at 12:51 (103097)

I can be working and stop at my computer, hit the 'refresh' button and continue or begin a conversation!!

How are you, Julie?

Richard, C.Ped on 12/14/02 at 12:55 (103100)

'Richard sticks his tongue out at John and blows raspberries at him'
LOL
Richard

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 13:17 (103104)

I just love the Oak Ridge Boys! That sounds like great music to clean by. Well, I finally got dressed and straightened up the kitchen. Starting to get energetic.

And yes, it is amazing to me that I can be talking to someone in Kentucky, someone in England, and someone in New England all at the same time. It's like science fiction.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/14/02 at 13:20 (103105)

Yes, the Oak Ridge Boys music is good to work by! And just as I stopped by the computer to see if anyone else had posted and saw yours, the song 'Christmas Carole' came on!

By the way, have you decorated your new house for Christmas? I was trying to imagine what you put in the alcove. I imagine that would be a nice place for some decorations.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 13:51 (103106)

I haven't decorated at all yet, because to tell the truth I don't have any decorations at all yet. I had been saving money for a house and living very frugally during the five years since my divorce. But now that I'm out of the apartment and have my house, it's time that I get some and I will probably get a few each year. Maybe I will pick some up this afternoon!

When my daughter was growing up, we would buy a special Christmas ornament or two every year, and each one had such meaning and nostalgia. Plus, we had the ornaments she made in school and so on. In a divorce, someone gets the Christmas things and in my case it was my daughter and husband. So, I need to begin with something this year. It's kind of hard to start over from nothing in buying Christmas decorations. I would like to continue with my previous tradition of buying one or two special ornaments or decorations each year so that they mean something to me. Hopefully that will happen even now that my little girl is grown and gone.

Right now my mirrored alcove in the living room has a fake plant on the bottom shelf. On the middle shelf I put a fairly large and artistic yellow ceramic bird that is a music box, that I found at a garage sale, and some pretty crystal and wine glasses and various vases that look shiny and nice in the reflections (more garage sale stuff). On the top shelf is a large and beautiful green glass pitcher that I bought new, and some other colored glassware that I got at the garage sale. That was a great garage sale! I nearly filled up my alcove for $2.80 .

My plan is that as I find items or curios that are especially beautiful over the next few years, the garage sale things will be slowly 'retired' and replaced by them. At least now the alcove doesn't look totally empty.

Maybe I will see a beautiful Christmas decoration that would fit there. I will keep my eyes open for something special.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/14/02 at 14:03 (103108)

I'm like you, Carole, in that I try to find inexpensive items (And I don't care if they were cheap, if I like them!) at sales or after the season, etc. What you have in your alcove sounds lovely. Most of my decorations have come - as you might imagine - from school children over the years and have special memories.

But you are right: new memories have to start with a new beginning! I must keep that in mind as we move to the new building. (I know you all must be getting tired of hearing about my move to the new school! Please just keep being patient with me; I appreciate it!) I have been rather sad the past couple of hours as I have boxed up the last of the things I won't need this week.

I wrote a little poem this week and posted it above a huge stack of boxes in the hall right past my room (which were getting on my nerves). We were having our Christmas program with a huge crowd expected, and I thought the boxes looked so ugly in the hall.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are boxes in the classrooms
And boxes down the hall.
They reach right to the ceiling;
There's hardly room for all!

We've boxed up all our teaching aids
And almost every book.
There are piles and piles of things
Wherever you may look.

But one thing is still with us
That can't be boxed away;
It's the care for one another
That gets us through each day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you find something this Christmas season to buy as your new and first decoration for your new house. Perhaps it can have some connection to all your friends on this board who admire and appreciate you. Maybe some type of Christmas Around the World decoration?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 14:28 (103109)

You are so sweet, Suzanne, and what a sweet poem to post! I never get tired of hearing about your move because it's a tremendous challenge to move a first grade class, especially with foot/heel pain.

I like the way you put it: 'new memories have to start with a new beginning!' I need to let the older memories remain, but also to realize that new memories can be nice too.

I will definitely keep an eye out for some type of Christmas Around the World decoration, and I suspect that when I see my first decoration I will know it is the one. It may not cost much but it will seem just right. In years to come, when I get it out I will say to myself, 'oh, and look at this one! This was my very first Christmas decoration in my new home.' And I'll remember how lucky I feel right now to have a home of my own to decorate.

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:23 (103119)

doesn't the queen have spider webs on her person at this point? she should be more appreciative. i agree, they are BEAUTIFUL things, one of the great wonders of nature. i couldn't tear one down to save my life.

nancy

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:30 (103121)

john, i bow deeply to you. with this post kind of post, you prove that you're not just mouthing off and making up all that stuff about how mary makes you do all the housework. i mean, the detail you provide here! it's way over my head! so what's the hold she has over you, besides beauty?

although i've removed my email address from the posting box, today i've been blessed with about 37 posts in my inbox on the subjects of 'new-style floor mops' and 'small pity party.' the former is giving phil false hope. he's going to be having a pity party himself very soon, possibly tonight.

nancy

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:44 (103126)

john, my dad served in the navy for four years during world war II. he always talks about how perfectly they had to place everything, and how their bed covers had to be a certain number of inches off the floor all the way around, etc. You should see his place now. in his physical surroundings, he's about the most crooked person i've ever seen. it was only after he and my mother separated when i was 30 that i realized where my neat-less genes came from.
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 17:46 (103127)

I went to Home Depot and got a microfiber cloth, a squeegee, and some pre-packaged clothes with windex in them just on a whim.

I tried the microfiber cloth and it was wonderful on the glass panes of my cupboards, and got rid of fingerprints and smears immediately. I think it was the last one that Home Depot had, or else I would have bought several.

The squeegie that I got is 8' but looks about right. It doesn't have the scrubber on the reverse side, which is SO handy, but it will probably work. I'll try it tomorrow since it's too dark to do windows well, by now.

It's a lot more fun to do windows properly armed. LOL

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/14/02 at 17:53 (103131)

suzanne, what does hitting the 'refresh' button do? i have one -- i just don't use it, because i don't know what it will do and i don't want it to do something i wasn't hoping for.

scott used to tell me to hit the 'refresh' button when i was having a problem on this site, but my web-tv didn't have a refresh button, and by the time i did have a computer with a refresh button, i was reluctant to follow that advice. it sounded like erasing.

nancy

john h on 12/14/02 at 19:39 (103139)

Suzanne: Turn on Elvis and Blue Xmas--

john h on 12/14/02 at 19:40 (103140)

And Richard looks like a memember of 'Kiss' when he does that.

john h on 12/14/02 at 19:43 (103141)

Our neighborhood association (we have one thousand homes in our neigborhood of Pleasant Valley) wants to start a tradition of every home placing a xmas tree real or otheriwse with white bulbs in front of every house in in the neighborhood.

pala on 12/14/02 at 19:44 (103143)

how do the non christians feel about that?

john h on 12/14/02 at 19:55 (103145)

Nancy: I was not neat as a child but somewhere along the way I became organized (better than neat freak). My wife really never made me do all that house cleaning i just gravitated towards it and like flying a plane did it by the book and very precisely which is fine with her. The one area in my life I pay little attention to is 'spelling'. The only one on this board who might spell worse than I is Dr. Z. If you all remember, when he first started posting, he was roundly critized because of his spelling. The greatest thing I have learned on the board this past year was from Suzanne our wonderful teacher. She taught me to spell 'a lot' and not alot. I will never forget the boy she made write 'a' on one end of the black board and 'lot' on the other end. As you can see I am on the higher end of the education plain. In business I do use my spell checker but I figure you guys are so smart from eating all the moon pies you can get my meaning.

john h on 12/14/02 at 20:00 (103146)

good point Pala but since the Temple in squarely in the middle of our neighborhood I have not heard any boos. They have a lovely large star of David (I guess that is what you call it) which I can see from my front yard at night. I will just pose that question to the President of the neighborhood association. She is an Airline Stewardess and put it in the monthly news letter. She has the job from h--- as everyone is on her case.

Re: refresh button

Suzanne D on 12/14/02 at 22:05 (103148)

Hi, Nancy! When I read the boards, I click on the 'Index' choice of the particular board I want to read, and then I see all the subject titles and persons who have posted on that page of threads. Then I click on the subject to read the post.

If I've been reading or posting for awhile, I click on the refresh button, and then any new messages which have been posted while I was reading show up after the screen is 'refreshed'. The other way I could see new posts is to 'back out' of the board to the menu section and then click again on 'index'.

Hope I didn't confuse you more by my explanation!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 22:16 (103149)

Sometimes I am SO GLAD that I don't have to deal with a neighborhood association. Most of the houses on my block have Christmas decorations, and they are very pretty and individual, each reflecting the tastes and preferences of the owners. I really like it that way. Some show the nativity, some are more oriented towards Santa and snowmen, and some just have lights. And then there's me who has nothing up this year. I might get a wreath.

Still, I suppose a neighborhood association could be really helpful in keeping property values up. Nobody can pave over his front yard or paint over his brick home.

Believe it or not, one of the houses I looked at (when I was house-hunting) had the lovely bricks painted over with a dark, shiny hideous blue-green enamel paint. They wanted top dollar, too. My realtor and I were aghast and I bought my present house instead.

Carole C

pala on 12/14/02 at 22:37 (103154)

i rented a house once with an association. it was awful. fighting. suing. i decided never to do that. my neighborhood is very diverse, very interesting. intown atlanta, quickly renovating. perfectly renovated victorian mansions next to run down houses. it was the fastest appreciating neighborhood in atlanta last time i looked. only four or five years ago it was one of the most poverty stricken dangerous neighborhoods in the city. we lucked out and got our house unrenovated a few years ago for a very good price. we are renovating it ourself mostly so it will be maybe a zillion years till it's perfect. it's fun tho. we've finally gotten around to the kitchen. i believe there will be a floor over the plywood this week. you think when you get into this it will be a few months and presto. but time, money, paint fumes destroying brain cells. but doin it slow has allowed us to really think things thru and suit it just right for us.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/02 at 23:24 (103156)

I think maybe it's different when you buy a house in a neighborhood that has an association. You choose to do that, so I think most people would stay within the rules.

Sometimes it is just about a necessity to be in an association if some people just won't even bother to keep up their houses otherwise. Around here, people really don't want to live next to run down places so property values are a factor. I guess to be more complete, what I should have said is that I'm glad that I'm in a neighborhood that is quite stable and in which everybody does keep up their houses. Because everybody 'plays the game', an association isn't necessary, and we can have trees with white lights in the front yard if we want them, or little reindeer, or the three wise men, or whatever.

Carole C

wendyn on 12/14/02 at 23:32 (103157)

John - that's funny, was just listening to Blue Christmas this afternoon!

Suzanne D on 12/15/02 at 07:20 (103170)

Yes, that's a classic, John. It always makes me think of 10 years ago at my school when we had a 'Rock 'n Roll Review' (dinner and entertainment) for a PTA fund-raiser. A nice newly hired male teacher (who does look somewhat like Elvis in his 30's) consented to be Elvis for the evening. He even rented a white jumpsuit with sequins. And he sang, among other things, 'Blue Christmas'. He's a good singer, too!

A grandmother of one of the students said she wished she could be back in 4th grade and be in his room. She said she would never take her eyes off of him if she were!

pala on 12/15/02 at 09:38 (103179)

atlanta is going thru a vast intown renovation so there's lots of fantastically renovated homes next to run down homes. the traffic is so bad here that folks are now moving back in from the suburbs, to which they fled a few decades ago. we like to drive around our area each week and see what's being renovated next. we like seeing these lovely victorians and craftsman bungalows being brought to their former majesty. it also gives us ideas for our own renovation project. our neighborhood was just 'discovered' a few years ago so the lots are very large, since no one has built here in so long. sidewalks, lots of very large old trees. it is like a time warp from an older america. we love it.

john h on 12/15/02 at 09:39 (103180)

Carole: Our association recently lost its way in the fog and raised our annnual dues and were proposing borrowing $500,000 to upgrade our two neighborhood pools to something like theme parks.and have an assessment. The average age of people in our neighborhood must be around 53 and not many have small children to use these upgraded pools. We had a membership meeting at a local church and around 700 of the 1000 property owners showed up and the board was put back on the straight and narrow of fiscal responsibility and that means pay as we go.

john h on 12/15/02 at 09:44 (103181)

Our neighborhood is about 35 years old and on the far western end of the city with lots of natural old growth trees and park area. It is well maintaind and the rules are enforced without any problems. People from all around drive here just to walk. I have lived in this neighborhood for about 28 years and I think my home has probably nearly trippled in value. As I type this and look out my window into my back yard I can see nothing but trees and blue skiy.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 10:58 (103188)

It sounds beautiful, John.. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 10:58 (103189)

It must be a fascinating place to live, pala :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 11:02 (103191)

I'm glad that your association didn't go nuts with your assessments. I wouldn't really want a near theme park in my neighborhood either! We don't have a pool, but then this is just a nice suburban community without an association or dues.

Carole C

john h on 12/16/02 at 08:48 (103263)

cleaning without soap: when we camped in the desert and used metal plates we cleaned the plates with sand and rinsed them in what ever water we could find.

john h on 12/16/02 at 08:49 (103264)

as long as you do not nag about the way I clean.

john h on 12/16/02 at 08:52 (103266)

Yes Pauline I use microfiber clothes to clean my tv screens and computer equipment but are they not expensive to use on a mop. my clothes are also pretty in that they are blue and yellow in color.

john h on 12/16/02 at 08:55 (103267)

actually i have never found anything better than windex and a paper towell. provessionals use squeeges for the most part because they are fast and effective and you can reach a good distance with the extendable poles. if you have dividers in your window they are out of the mix and if you are fussy you still need to get into the corners with paper towells.

john h on 12/16/02 at 09:04 (103269)

One Xmas day in Vietnam we had a radio station that was collecting money for the local orphanage. You would call in and they would play a xmas song for your donation. a group of guys got together and bought out the entire day to play only one song 'Rudoloph the Red Nose Reindeer' by Gene Autry. This was our only radio station. I still hear that tuue blaring on the radio, on a big speaker outside the radio station on the base, in the BX,etc. You could not escape it.

nancy s. on 12/16/02 at 09:07 (103270)

paula, i had no idea you're involved in the same chaos. we did the same thing with our last house (took eight years) and are doing it now with the current one. this one is very small -- four rooms -- so living in three rooms at a time, one of which is always piled high with furniture and stuff from the room being worked on, is a major challenge for my husband, me, and our three cats, two of whom don't get along.

we have lost about ten billion brain cells along the way, due to fumes and possibly picking out colors, which i obsess over for weeks or months at a time. my brain is in actual physical pain from thinking about color, and still i can't stop. because it's fun! but help!

nancy

pala on 12/16/02 at 10:00 (103282)

can't help. every color paint we pick out ends up tan with an underbase of pink. we hate it. of course it has to go on and be on for a while till you realize you hate it. we also have three cats. since the previous poorer residents are being bought out (or worse taxed out) they leave behind their cats. none of whom are spayed. there are strays everywwehre. we adopted three and they make the most unsatisfying pets. shell shocked, tough ghetto kitties filled with fight and rage and terror at all times. i have a theory about why neighborhoods deteriorate. we renovaters lower our I Q each year from breathing paint fumes . then exactly when the last house in the neighborhood is perfect we are all totally mentally deficient and the neighborhood goes downhill till the next batch of folks start the process again :)

pala on 12/16/02 at 10:07 (103285)

can't help. every color paint we pick out ends up tan with an underbase of pink. we hate it. of course it has to go on and be on for a while till you realize you hate it. we also have three cats. since the previous poorer residents are being bought out (or worse taxed out) they leave behind their cats. none of whom are spayed. there are strays everywwehre. we adopted three and they make the most unsatisfying pets. shell shocked, tough ghetto kitties filled with fight and rage and terror at all times. i have a theory about why neighborhoods deteriorate. we renovaters lower our I Q each year from breathing paint fumes . then exactly when the last house in the neighborhood is perfect we are all totally mentally deficient and the neighborhood goes downhill till the next batch of folks start the process again :) help ME!

Suzanne D on 12/16/02 at 11:25 (103289)

We just read the story of Rudolph today, John! We then had a story to complete with missing words to fill in. I also had a riddle paper for the children to find the answers to by breaking a word code:

Where do gingerbread men sleep?
On cookie sheets

Why does Rudolph need an umbrella?
Because he's a 'Rain'deer!

As I child, I had the 45 rpm record of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer by Gene Autry. I listened to it over and over as it was a favorite of mine.

Nancy N on 12/16/02 at 16:30 (103312)

You haven't heard Rudolph until you've heard Ella Fitzgerald sing it--though maybe I'm just partial because I'm an unabashed fan of hers. Of course, there's also that perennial favorite from medieval times--'Rudolphus Rubrinasus.'

nancy s. on 12/16/02 at 17:17 (103319)

that's one unique theory, paula. maybe you could run for office on that issue? 'people who breathe paint fumes more than once every decade not allowed to be homeowners.'

tan with an underbase of pink and you hate it -- thanks for today's big laugh!

if you haven't had your three stray cats for long, give 'em time. two of our three were ferals, and it took a lot of attention and coaxing to bring them around -- i mean, it was exhausting. after six months my voice was hoarse (from whispering, yet), and my neck is permanently crooked. they've come a long way in three years, though. in any case, i'm glad someone (you) took them in. it's totally beyond me how anyone can leave a cat behind, but i know it happens every day. those people should be forced to breathe paint fumes.

don't forget tomorrow is tuesday.

nancy

pala on 12/16/02 at 19:54 (103345)

ah hail ye loyal and true clique ite.

pala on 12/16/02 at 19:55 (103346)

even as i type larry is putting in our kitchen floor. finally. not easy to keep crashing thru the floor as you eat your breakfast bagel.

JudyS on 12/16/02 at 20:21 (103351)

Pala - I figured out something about choosing a paint color a few years ago - I hope it doesn't seem insultingly simplistic and you can smack me for the suggestion if it is -
I finally realized that if I looked at the balance of the hues that made up the color I could, more or less, figure out what undertones might come out when a whole wall or room was done. For instance, if red claims most of the makeup of the color, then there'll be more of a pink hue to the tan. Does that make sense? Clearly I'm no artist or I'd have figured it out a long time ago and I'm guessing that you already have.

pala on 12/16/02 at 21:17 (103357)

hey. thanks. that's thinking. !! i'll do that.

Necee on 12/17/02 at 00:49 (103368)

Using Windex and newspaper works better than anything on windows and glass.
There's something about the ink used in the printing that cleans them so well, no streaks at all.

Happy trails..

Necee

EnimaryP on 4/20/03 at 18:33 (116631)

I have read that some of the new styles mops can be refilled with a different cleaning solution. I belong to a company who teaches parents to rid their homes of toxins and have healthier familes and at the same time earn extra money. There is no selling, no parties, not MLM. If you are interested, please feel free to get more information.
http://me.stayinhomeandlovinit.com