Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

persistent heel pain

Posted by mike on 12/13/02 at 15:03 (102961)

I have a heel pain that developed two days ago on 12/11/2002. The pain occurs in a specific area to the front, inside of my left heel. I'd say the diameter of painful area is about the size of a dime.

I am a frequent runner, running about 20 miles per week. I also bicycle an additional 20 - 30 miles per week. I haven't run or ridden my bike since this pain set in. It would simply be too painful to run and i don't want to make it worse. My last run was on 12/10/2002 (5 miles, which is typical). So the pain set in about 24 - 30 hours after my last run.

Currently, its most painful when walking, more walking = more pain, or with slight pressure applied with my thumb. Although the pain aches throughout the day. Its not more painful in the morning, but constantly painful all day. The pain is also accompanied by a somewhat burning, or itchy feeling at the epicenter.

Is it Plantar Fasciitis, or something else?

Re: persistent heel pain

Mike P on 12/15/02 at 21:50 (103248)

Hello Mike: I have ben running for 6 years and developed the same symptoms that you have. It has been hurting for 15 months...even with conservative treatments. I have been to 4 podiatrists and I have not been able to shake this pain. I have finally realized that I need a MRI to make a proper diagnosis to start treatment and healing after almost a year and half of doing the things this site describes. I am sure the experts at this site will agree. You need to find out if the pain is PF, bruised heel or even heel bursitis. My best to you.

mike on 12/16/02 at 08:40 (103262)

Its 5 days after the first onset of pain and my heel is feeling quite a bit better. The pain is still in the same location, but I can walk without limping now. If it continues to feel better at this rate I might attempt a short run tomorrow, but most likely I'll give it a couple more days to heal.

Yesterday was a little strange though. My heel felt very itchy, not at the surface, but deep inside where the pain seems to originate from. Nothing like an itch you can't scratch! I figure that means its healing - right?

- mike

Mike P on 12/15/02 at 21:50 (103248)

Hello Mike: I have ben running for 6 years and developed the same symptoms that you have. It has been hurting for 15 months...even with conservative treatments. I have been to 4 podiatrists and I have not been able to shake this pain. I have finally realized that I need a MRI to make a proper diagnosis to start treatment and healing after almost a year and half of doing the things this site describes. I am sure the experts at this site will agree. You need to find out if the pain is PF, bruised heel or even heel bursitis. My best to you.

mike on 12/16/02 at 08:40 (103262)

Its 5 days after the first onset of pain and my heel is feeling quite a bit better. The pain is still in the same location, but I can walk without limping now. If it continues to feel better at this rate I might attempt a short run tomorrow, but most likely I'll give it a couple more days to heal.

Yesterday was a little strange though. My heel felt very itchy, not at the surface, but deep inside where the pain seems to originate from. Nothing like an itch you can't scratch! I figure that means its healing - right?

- mike