Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tendon repair surgery scheduled

Posted by matts on 12/13/02 at 22:47 (103017)

After almost 3years of heel, foot and now ankle pain I am scheduled for tendon repair surgery in January. the posterial tibial tendon and pf have been main problem for a couple of years but last few months severe pain on outside of foot and ankle. Recent mri shows torn peroneal brevus and maybe other tendon also, the ptt shows a lot more fluid around tendon than a year ago and since it sometimes impossible to walk I think i have to get it repaired. the foot and ankle ortho will look and repair the outside tendons and the ptt and at least clean up the ptt. I was referred to this dr by my podiatrist after trying a lot of conservative treatmennts, like injections, boot cast and crutches for ptt. the worst of the pf mostly went away after the cast for six weeks but tendon pain still there.

I have not posted in a few weeks since been going to a lot of doctors for foot opinions including rheumatlogist to rule out other causes for not healing of tendons like arthiritis. Also some dermatology work on face! That does not hurt like foot or ankle but was bad timing as far as being a hassel.

I am a little concerned about newer pain on outside of foot and ankle and am not sure why it is now so bad along with the ptt problem. the only thing i know of is that i have turned my foot to outside many times over the last couple of years.

the surgey planned would repair all tendons then non weight bearing for 4 to 6 weeks then walking cast for a month or so if i understand correctly. I would appreciate any comments from some of you who may have had similar experience or this kind of tendon surgery. I have tried a lot of treatments and do not think i have skipped any and had recommendation for surgery on ptt a year ago but got a leg brace that helped with pain for 8 months or so. So i stalled on the surgery. Thanks for any comments.

Re: question about Re: tendon repair surgery scheduled

matts on 12/15/02 at 17:46 (103233)

I never really got to my questions in above post. Has anyone had work done on posterial tibial tendon, removing fluid i think it is called tensyvium or something like that to clean fluid away? It is supposed to help with arch pain and associated heel pain. Also, how long would it take tendon to heal without surgery, say with complete rest?

Re: Laurie?

wendyn on 12/15/02 at 17:58 (103234)

I think Laurie R may have had this done...Laurie?

Re: tendon repair surgery scheduled

john h on 12/16/02 at 09:59 (103281)

matts: I have two doctor acquaintenances who had major surgery on their achilles tendon. Both are avid runners and both are back to running.

carmen h on 12/16/02 at 18:53 (103342)

Laurie has a lot going on right now.....:o( So you may not hear from her on here for awhile.

Re: I'm getting an anchor?

Jan H. on 12/16/02 at 20:12 (103348)

I just got back from the POD and he had the results of my MRI-he said, he will be taking off my spur and putting an anchor in the achilles tendon-sounds painful but I'm out of options. So I guess we're in the same boat! LOL.-He said I also had a lot of edema. Let me know how yours goes. I have been in pain a long time.

Dr. Z on 12/16/02 at 21:30 (103360)

If the pain in at the insertion with or without a spur ESWT can be very effective. We have used ESWT for the past three year for this specific problem. It has been used all over the world for years. If you want additional information let me know (email removed)

matts on 12/16/02 at 21:42 (103361)

sounds encouraging, I am not a runner but would like to walk, play golf again without foot and ankle feeling like it is coming apart. maybe in a few months I can forget about the foot problem!

matts on 12/16/02 at 21:47 (103362)

is the dr moving the achilles to get to the spur or is it a additional problem with the tendon? When are you planning to have the surgery?

Jan H. on 12/17/02 at 08:30 (103381)

Hi
I will be investigating ESWT-but I don't suppose my insurance will cover since my POD never mentioned it. I have PF in both feet so after I have this surgery I will be looking at options for the other foot.

I don't have a problem with the achilles itself-just some swelling around it but the dr. said he has to move it as there is a large spur directly underneath it. Also will be getting PF release on the same foot, for the problem on the bottom of the heel. He also said I have achilles tendonitis and bursitis and possibly 'granulomatous disease' but I don't have a clue what that is and forgot to ask. Why don't more drs. use ESWT?

My whole foot and ankle hurts and I have to walk at work. I know, join the club!

Re: question about Re: tendon repair surgery scheduled

matts on 12/15/02 at 17:46 (103233)

I never really got to my questions in above post. Has anyone had work done on posterial tibial tendon, removing fluid i think it is called tensyvium or something like that to clean fluid away? It is supposed to help with arch pain and associated heel pain. Also, how long would it take tendon to heal without surgery, say with complete rest?

wendyn on 12/15/02 at 17:58 (103234)

I think Laurie R may have had this done...Laurie?

john h on 12/16/02 at 09:59 (103281)

matts: I have two doctor acquaintenances who had major surgery on their achilles tendon. Both are avid runners and both are back to running.

carmen h on 12/16/02 at 18:53 (103342)

Laurie has a lot going on right now.....:o( So you may not hear from her on here for awhile.

Jan H. on 12/16/02 at 20:12 (103348)

I just got back from the POD and he had the results of my MRI-he said, he will be taking off my spur and putting an anchor in the achilles tendon-sounds painful but I'm out of options. So I guess we're in the same boat! LOL.-He said I also had a lot of edema. Let me know how yours goes. I have been in pain a long time.

Dr. Z on 12/16/02 at 21:30 (103360)

If the pain in at the insertion with or without a spur ESWT can be very effective. We have used ESWT for the past three year for this specific problem. It has been used all over the world for years. If you want additional information let me know (email removed)

matts on 12/16/02 at 21:42 (103361)

sounds encouraging, I am not a runner but would like to walk, play golf again without foot and ankle feeling like it is coming apart. maybe in a few months I can forget about the foot problem!

matts on 12/16/02 at 21:47 (103362)

is the dr moving the achilles to get to the spur or is it a additional problem with the tendon? When are you planning to have the surgery?

Jan H. on 12/17/02 at 08:30 (103381)

Hi
I will be investigating ESWT-but I don't suppose my insurance will cover since my POD never mentioned it. I have PF in both feet so after I have this surgery I will be looking at options for the other foot.

I don't have a problem with the achilles itself-just some swelling around it but the dr. said he has to move it as there is a large spur directly underneath it. Also will be getting PF release on the same foot, for the problem on the bottom of the heel. He also said I have achilles tendonitis and bursitis and possibly 'granulomatous disease' but I don't have a clue what that is and forgot to ask. Why don't more drs. use ESWT?

My whole foot and ankle hurts and I have to walk at work. I know, join the club!