Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I don't know what's going on but....

Posted by Leon S. on 12/14/02 at 08:58 (103039)

On Wednesday, in preparation for the NYC transit strike, I decided to test my foot out and take the walk from work to the bus terminal which is about 1 1/4 miles. I haven't done it since August and my foot seemed to hold up well. So well, that I was motivated to try the treadmill when I got home. I jogged about 2 miles at a very moderate rate and again, aside from not having the stamina I used to have, I felt OK. I iced it and took some ibuprofen as a precaution. Yesterday, I walked again without a problem and this morning I did another 2 miles on the treadmill. Afterwards, I used a footbath/messager and feel fine...I know not to push myself too much and I continue to do the 'Julie Stretches' whenever and wherever I can. It looks like the light at the end of the tunnel just got brighter...

Re: I don't know what's going on but....

Julie on 12/14/02 at 11:45 (103078)

Leon, that's good to hear. It sounds as though you're healing, and I'm glad for you.

Re: Why are you jogging?

sandy h on 12/14/02 at 17:39 (103124)

I would hold off on the jogging until you've done that walk for a couple of more months. If you really like running then my advice is to make sure you heal this thing properly before going back to it as PF can potentially stop people from running for years. I went back into running too fast and regret it now.

Leon S. on 12/15/02 at 16:02 (103221)

To Sandy H.
You are right in your words of caution. I'm sure many of us runners who thought that we have reached some level of recovery tried the same thing with varying results. It's just that the empty treadmill was beckoning me and I was feeling good.I guess it's normal to push the envelope a little but I will not extend myself until I have a consistent period without pain. Even if there is no strike tomorrow, I will start walking again in one direction and see how I feel.

Jim C. on 12/15/02 at 19:46 (103237)

Leon,

I am pretty much pain free after having this condition since June 2002. I can basicaly stand all day and other daily activities with any pain.

Just as an experiment to see where I was at in my healing I decided for a very short jog, perhaps a couple of blocks. On my third step I felt that familiar twinge in my left heel, I jogged maybe a half a block and thought better of it. It didn't cause me a major setback but I certainly felt it for a few days afterwards!

It's funny I can do just about any activity I like, of course I don't push things real hard, but I can't run! It seems PF is a runners worst nightmare, this condition really sucks!

Jim

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 21:50 (103247)

Jim, you have been using a lot of good sense. Give it another six months of what you've been doing, and my guess is that you WILL be running again just as before. I wouldn't say that is likely for everyone, but I've been watching your progress and your comments on the board. Just keep using the same good sense you have already applied. The rate of improvement may be slower than in the first months, but you don't have as far to go.

It's been 15 months for me, and as good as 6 months felt, 15 months feels a lot better and stronger. I think you will find the same is true for you.

Carole C

Jim C. on 12/15/02 at 22:12 (103252)

Hi Carole,

Thanks for your comments! I am very greatful for how far I've come, espeicialy after reading some of the horror stories on this site. I suppose if I never cold run again I could learn to be OK, but I would miss it. I wish dearly I would have had enough sense to stop running when I first started hurting as I would have saved myself a lot of grief. But we runners are a stubborn bunch!

I read comment on another site dealing PF that we lose a lot of our healing anytime we rest with our feet in a planter flexed position, such as when sitting and watching TV and of course when sleeping. I noticed early on that if I kept my feet flexed when sitting I could avoid a lot of first step pain and I would imagine that's why the splint is so effective! I geuss the fascia tightens up rather quikly when in a planter flexed position...nothing major but maybe another small tool to ad to the arsenal!

Happy Healing,

Jim

Carole C in NOLA on 12/16/02 at 07:38 (103261)

I do agree with you about the fascia tightening up when in a plantar flexed position. It makes sense to keep your feet flexed when sitting, though I never really did that. Some people use a wedge shaped footrest.

The amazing thing to me is that the longer I heal, the less tight the tissues in my feet and legs get. There's a lot more slack, and when I stretch there's a lot less resistance even in comparison with pain free days a few months ago.

I still stretch on days when things feel tighter, but those days are farther and farther apart now.

It's terrifically hard for runners to be able to transition to a temporarily non-running lifestyle to heal, but you have. Next year I predict that you will be able to get back to running, knowing that any discomfort you endure is just 'good pain' and not damaging your feet. I hope that if I'm right, that you come back to the message boards now and then to encourage the runners here. Things seem pretty bleak to a lot of them when they get PF.

Carole C

john h on 12/16/02 at 10:01 (103283)

Sounds super to me Leon. Be careful however. I have gone to the well to many times only to reinjure myself.

Leon S. on 12/17/02 at 19:07 (103431)

John, you're probably right. I'm laying off any future jogging but I am increasing my daily walks to and from work only to acclimate myself to the cold weather so that I can resume skiing when the time comes. The thing I missed most by not being able to jog or walk outside was actually being outside. Today was the first day I walked both ways and although there was a little soreness, there was no real pain and I think with the foot massage, I'll be OK. Thank goodness for the birks.

john h on 12/18/02 at 10:48 (103478)

Leon: A favorite running route of all my old former running buddies goes just in front of my house. Every morning and night I open the door to see them all jogging and having fun. Oh! the pain of it all. We had a large group and about 25 of them are headed to Austin after the first of the year to run in a marathon or half marathon. We regularly traveled all over the state and nearby cites to run. I guess I never will get over missing running. Do they have a 'Runners Annomyous'?.

Leon S. on 12/18/02 at 18:56 (103510)

John, Yes they have a Runners Annonymous and we are them! Where are you located in Texas? My youngest son lives in Austin. So, you don't do any running anymore? I know you said you had some setbacks. What stage of recovery are you in? On nice days during the fall I took my bike out and rode some of my running routes and although it wasn't the same it was nostalgic to 'visit my old friends'.

Kathy G on 12/19/02 at 08:07 (103530)

Heck - we need a Walkers Anonymous! I still envy the woman who walks by with her dog most every day. She's a very nice girl and she has this springy, bright kind of walk and looks like she's enjoying herself so much. There are days, I just want to join her so much! And other days, when I'm feeling very frustrated, I want to go out and kick her! I'm a wicked person!!!

john h on 12/19/02 at 12:21 (103546)

Leon: I live in Little Rock. Dallas is about 300 miles from here. My recovery state is 7 years long and bi-laterial. I have been down to a pain level of as low as 1 but it can and does bounce back up depending on what stupid things I do. Running is out of the question. I bike and walk from 1-3 miles depending on how the feet feel

Leon S. on 12/19/02 at 18:43 (103567)

John, From your earlier post, I thought you lived in Texas...Wow, 7 years...Now I'm depressed even more. Today was not a good day and I'm sitting here icing my foot and will take some ibuprofen when I finish...7 years.....:-(

Julie on 12/20/02 at 00:59 (103580)

Leon

As I said a couple of days ago, I was pleased for you, and I still am, but I got concerned when you said you were increasing your walking. So I'm going to come in here and say, regretfully, that I think you've been overdoing it. I know it's tempting, once you detect signs of improvement, to go whole hog after the things you like to do, but it looks like you've been a bit too enthusiastic and are paying for it with a setback.

I would really urge you to pull back now until your current symptoms subside. Then resume walking gradually, a little at a time.

I've never been a runner. Walking is my pleasure, but I know from my own experience that it has plenty to contribute to an inflamed, irritated PF. I stopped altogether, apart from the essential 'steps', for several months, and I know that was a big factor in my straightforward healing. Do take it easy. Setbacks usually take a couple of days to appear, which is what seems to have happened to you.

john h on 12/20/02 at 10:06 (103598)

Kathy: I cannot remember but have you had ESWT?

Leon S. on 12/20/02 at 15:55 (103636)

Julie, You are right (as usual). I realized that yesterday as I answered John. It is the male 'knucklehead gene' that periodically kicks in and causes irrational behavior. You guys have been around alot longer than I have (with this affliction, I mean. Based on other comments I read from you, I think we are close in age) and have learned to make more accomodations to your situations. Your input is always welcome.

john h on 12/20/02 at 18:38 (103658)

Leon: I am much better than I was 7 years ago so do not despair. I walk, ride a bike, lift weights so things do get better. I just want to run and that may not be in the cards for me but I will keep on trying.

Julie on 12/21/02 at 00:59 (103676)

It isn't just men, Leon. We all do it. It's natural. The euphoria that hits us when we realise we're a bit better makes us thing we're all better, and we hit the trail (and usually pay for it).

But there comes a time when we really ARE all better. I got there and so will you. Two years ago I reached the '95% better level' and stopped counting my steps, and it has been a year since I've had any symptoms, or any need to curtail my walking, at all. As long as I stick to my Birks, or my trainers+orthotics, I'm fine.

Be hopeful. And patient.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/21/02 at 08:13 (103681)

Leon, like all of us you are learning about your feet, and what causes setbacks for you and what doesn't. Often it takes a few days for a setback to become felt, and that means that all of us make some mistakes along the way.

As you have unfortunately discovered, a setback is when your level of pain gets worse due to doing something that your feet couldn't handle.

As you heal, you will be able to do more things. However, each setback that you have will get in the way of healing. So my suggestion is to do LESS than you think you can do, rather than more.

Try to eliminate any setbacks whatsoever for at least a month to six weeks. If you have one during that period, cut back on your activities substantially and try again. Six weeks with no setbacks will allow your feet to heal enough that you will be capable of doing a little bit more. So then, you just do a little bit more and try for another month or six weeks of healing before letting yourself do more than that. Save the running until you can do just about everything else in life without setbacks.

You can do this. I know it is exceptionally tough for runners to cut back and often seems to be especially tough for men who are runners. People who are brought up to face challenges head on, putting pain aside and battling these challenges with all they've got, can have a tough time unless or until they figure out that the challenge of PF is more indirect than they are used to.

The challenge here is to do less instead of more and to somehow find a way to arrange your life so that this is possible.

Carole C

Julie on 12/21/02 at 08:57 (103682)

Wise words, Carole. You've hit the nail on the head: different personalities will meet the challenge of PF differently, and the head-on approach can be counter-productive. On the whole, it's fair to say that it's a challenge that has to be snuck up on, rather than met head on.

john h on 12/21/02 at 09:11 (103683)

Today is stupid time for me Carole. Time to get on the roof and hopefully blow the last of the pine needles and leaves off. Being on the roof is about as close as I get to the skiy these days. Leon: are you taping your feet by chance with the simple two strip method? If not give it a go.

Leon S. on 12/21/02 at 14:16 (103703)

John, I haven't done any taping. The only thing I do is stretch, ice when needed and ibuprofen, also when needed...and thanks to all of your (that means everyone) suggestions, I will refrain from anymore unnecessary walking treks...However, I will try some skiing in a couple of weeks. I'm anxious to see how that works out. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I tried on my ski boots and walked around a little in them and my feet felt fine. I will be cautious however and if some twinge shows up, I will regretfully pack it in.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/21/02 at 14:43 (103705)

Two weeks?

And you will pack it up 'if some twinge shows up'?

Good thing that women are the tougher sex. Maybe you have a wife who can take care of you when you have that set back.

Carole C

Julie on 12/21/02 at 14:54 (103706)

Your feet 'felt fine' after you walked miles and jogged.

They'll feel fine (because you'll want them to) in your ski boots and maybe even on the slopes.

Then they won't feel fine.

A setback means you've re-injured yourself.

What's the point, Leon?

Please be intelligent and wait till next winter to ski.

And do investigate taping. John won't mind my letting on that it was me that badgered him into taping, after years of not taping, and he has never regretted it. You'll find it helpful. It not only relieves pain: by 'resting' the fascia it contributes to healing.

Leon S. on 12/21/02 at 19:13 (103712)

Carole, aren't you the one who implored that I take it easy?

Leon S. on 12/21/02 at 19:16 (103713)

Julie & John, on your recommendations I will certainly look into the taping. Thanks again for the advice.

john h on 12/21/02 at 21:23 (103716)

Yes Leon we both use Leuko Tape ( 1 1/2 inch). I have to order mine. This tape does not irritate the foot as much as some and adheres well.

nancy s. on 12/22/02 at 06:38 (103727)

huh? yes, she was ONE of the ones who implored that you take it easy.

think i'll add my voice here because, leon, i'm not sure you're getting it.

t a k e - i t - e a s y ! putting on ski boots and wearing them around the house for a few minutes is a far cry from going skiing, which will test your feet to the max. why risk continual setbacks just when you're starting to feel better? there's still healing that needs to take place, my friend. honor your feet. walk for months, be grateful for those walks for a long time, and then try something more challenging, like skiing. next year.

nancy

john h on 12/22/02 at 10:22 (103741)

Nancy: I wonder if skiing is like walking around on my pitched roof for an hour? It sure puts your ankles in every conceivable position.

nancy s. on 12/22/02 at 13:20 (103756)

john, so were you up there on your pitched roof walking around for an hour? what do the neighbors think -- that you just needed a change of scene? no, i know you were working up there.

personally i think that's a no-no for you for a few reasons, but i guess after all these years you know what you can handle.

however, remember that hike without walking stick or water!

nancy

Leon S. on 12/22/02 at 18:15 (103787)

John, Can this tape be bought at local pharmacies or if not, where do you order it from and in what quantities, cost etc.?

Julie on 12/14/02 at 11:45 (103078)

Leon, that's good to hear. It sounds as though you're healing, and I'm glad for you.

sandy h on 12/14/02 at 17:39 (103124)

I would hold off on the jogging until you've done that walk for a couple of more months. If you really like running then my advice is to make sure you heal this thing properly before going back to it as PF can potentially stop people from running for years. I went back into running too fast and regret it now.

Leon S. on 12/15/02 at 16:02 (103221)

To Sandy H.
You are right in your words of caution. I'm sure many of us runners who thought that we have reached some level of recovery tried the same thing with varying results. It's just that the empty treadmill was beckoning me and I was feeling good.I guess it's normal to push the envelope a little but I will not extend myself until I have a consistent period without pain. Even if there is no strike tomorrow, I will start walking again in one direction and see how I feel.

Jim C. on 12/15/02 at 19:46 (103237)

Leon,

I am pretty much pain free after having this condition since June 2002. I can basicaly stand all day and other daily activities with any pain.

Just as an experiment to see where I was at in my healing I decided for a very short jog, perhaps a couple of blocks. On my third step I felt that familiar twinge in my left heel, I jogged maybe a half a block and thought better of it. It didn't cause me a major setback but I certainly felt it for a few days afterwards!

It's funny I can do just about any activity I like, of course I don't push things real hard, but I can't run! It seems PF is a runners worst nightmare, this condition really sucks!

Jim

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 21:50 (103247)

Jim, you have been using a lot of good sense. Give it another six months of what you've been doing, and my guess is that you WILL be running again just as before. I wouldn't say that is likely for everyone, but I've been watching your progress and your comments on the board. Just keep using the same good sense you have already applied. The rate of improvement may be slower than in the first months, but you don't have as far to go.

It's been 15 months for me, and as good as 6 months felt, 15 months feels a lot better and stronger. I think you will find the same is true for you.

Carole C

Jim C. on 12/15/02 at 22:12 (103252)

Hi Carole,

Thanks for your comments! I am very greatful for how far I've come, espeicialy after reading some of the horror stories on this site. I suppose if I never cold run again I could learn to be OK, but I would miss it. I wish dearly I would have had enough sense to stop running when I first started hurting as I would have saved myself a lot of grief. But we runners are a stubborn bunch!

I read comment on another site dealing PF that we lose a lot of our healing anytime we rest with our feet in a planter flexed position, such as when sitting and watching TV and of course when sleeping. I noticed early on that if I kept my feet flexed when sitting I could avoid a lot of first step pain and I would imagine that's why the splint is so effective! I geuss the fascia tightens up rather quikly when in a planter flexed position...nothing major but maybe another small tool to ad to the arsenal!

Happy Healing,

Jim

Carole C in NOLA on 12/16/02 at 07:38 (103261)

I do agree with you about the fascia tightening up when in a plantar flexed position. It makes sense to keep your feet flexed when sitting, though I never really did that. Some people use a wedge shaped footrest.

The amazing thing to me is that the longer I heal, the less tight the tissues in my feet and legs get. There's a lot more slack, and when I stretch there's a lot less resistance even in comparison with pain free days a few months ago.

I still stretch on days when things feel tighter, but those days are farther and farther apart now.

It's terrifically hard for runners to be able to transition to a temporarily non-running lifestyle to heal, but you have. Next year I predict that you will be able to get back to running, knowing that any discomfort you endure is just 'good pain' and not damaging your feet. I hope that if I'm right, that you come back to the message boards now and then to encourage the runners here. Things seem pretty bleak to a lot of them when they get PF.

Carole C

john h on 12/16/02 at 10:01 (103283)

Sounds super to me Leon. Be careful however. I have gone to the well to many times only to reinjure myself.

Leon S. on 12/17/02 at 19:07 (103431)

John, you're probably right. I'm laying off any future jogging but I am increasing my daily walks to and from work only to acclimate myself to the cold weather so that I can resume skiing when the time comes. The thing I missed most by not being able to jog or walk outside was actually being outside. Today was the first day I walked both ways and although there was a little soreness, there was no real pain and I think with the foot massage, I'll be OK. Thank goodness for the birks.

john h on 12/18/02 at 10:48 (103478)

Leon: A favorite running route of all my old former running buddies goes just in front of my house. Every morning and night I open the door to see them all jogging and having fun. Oh! the pain of it all. We had a large group and about 25 of them are headed to Austin after the first of the year to run in a marathon or half marathon. We regularly traveled all over the state and nearby cites to run. I guess I never will get over missing running. Do they have a 'Runners Annomyous'?.

Leon S. on 12/18/02 at 18:56 (103510)

John, Yes they have a Runners Annonymous and we are them! Where are you located in Texas? My youngest son lives in Austin. So, you don't do any running anymore? I know you said you had some setbacks. What stage of recovery are you in? On nice days during the fall I took my bike out and rode some of my running routes and although it wasn't the same it was nostalgic to 'visit my old friends'.

Kathy G on 12/19/02 at 08:07 (103530)

Heck - we need a Walkers Anonymous! I still envy the woman who walks by with her dog most every day. She's a very nice girl and she has this springy, bright kind of walk and looks like she's enjoying herself so much. There are days, I just want to join her so much! And other days, when I'm feeling very frustrated, I want to go out and kick her! I'm a wicked person!!!

john h on 12/19/02 at 12:21 (103546)

Leon: I live in Little Rock. Dallas is about 300 miles from here. My recovery state is 7 years long and bi-laterial. I have been down to a pain level of as low as 1 but it can and does bounce back up depending on what stupid things I do. Running is out of the question. I bike and walk from 1-3 miles depending on how the feet feel

Leon S. on 12/19/02 at 18:43 (103567)

John, From your earlier post, I thought you lived in Texas...Wow, 7 years...Now I'm depressed even more. Today was not a good day and I'm sitting here icing my foot and will take some ibuprofen when I finish...7 years.....:-(

Julie on 12/20/02 at 00:59 (103580)

Leon

As I said a couple of days ago, I was pleased for you, and I still am, but I got concerned when you said you were increasing your walking. So I'm going to come in here and say, regretfully, that I think you've been overdoing it. I know it's tempting, once you detect signs of improvement, to go whole hog after the things you like to do, but it looks like you've been a bit too enthusiastic and are paying for it with a setback.

I would really urge you to pull back now until your current symptoms subside. Then resume walking gradually, a little at a time.

I've never been a runner. Walking is my pleasure, but I know from my own experience that it has plenty to contribute to an inflamed, irritated PF. I stopped altogether, apart from the essential 'steps', for several months, and I know that was a big factor in my straightforward healing. Do take it easy. Setbacks usually take a couple of days to appear, which is what seems to have happened to you.

john h on 12/20/02 at 10:06 (103598)

Kathy: I cannot remember but have you had ESWT?

Leon S. on 12/20/02 at 15:55 (103636)

Julie, You are right (as usual). I realized that yesterday as I answered John. It is the male 'knucklehead gene' that periodically kicks in and causes irrational behavior. You guys have been around alot longer than I have (with this affliction, I mean. Based on other comments I read from you, I think we are close in age) and have learned to make more accomodations to your situations. Your input is always welcome.

john h on 12/20/02 at 18:38 (103658)

Leon: I am much better than I was 7 years ago so do not despair. I walk, ride a bike, lift weights so things do get better. I just want to run and that may not be in the cards for me but I will keep on trying.

Julie on 12/21/02 at 00:59 (103676)

It isn't just men, Leon. We all do it. It's natural. The euphoria that hits us when we realise we're a bit better makes us thing we're all better, and we hit the trail (and usually pay for it).

But there comes a time when we really ARE all better. I got there and so will you. Two years ago I reached the '95% better level' and stopped counting my steps, and it has been a year since I've had any symptoms, or any need to curtail my walking, at all. As long as I stick to my Birks, or my trainers+orthotics, I'm fine.

Be hopeful. And patient.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/21/02 at 08:13 (103681)

Leon, like all of us you are learning about your feet, and what causes setbacks for you and what doesn't. Often it takes a few days for a setback to become felt, and that means that all of us make some mistakes along the way.

As you have unfortunately discovered, a setback is when your level of pain gets worse due to doing something that your feet couldn't handle.

As you heal, you will be able to do more things. However, each setback that you have will get in the way of healing. So my suggestion is to do LESS than you think you can do, rather than more.

Try to eliminate any setbacks whatsoever for at least a month to six weeks. If you have one during that period, cut back on your activities substantially and try again. Six weeks with no setbacks will allow your feet to heal enough that you will be capable of doing a little bit more. So then, you just do a little bit more and try for another month or six weeks of healing before letting yourself do more than that. Save the running until you can do just about everything else in life without setbacks.

You can do this. I know it is exceptionally tough for runners to cut back and often seems to be especially tough for men who are runners. People who are brought up to face challenges head on, putting pain aside and battling these challenges with all they've got, can have a tough time unless or until they figure out that the challenge of PF is more indirect than they are used to.

The challenge here is to do less instead of more and to somehow find a way to arrange your life so that this is possible.

Carole C

Julie on 12/21/02 at 08:57 (103682)

Wise words, Carole. You've hit the nail on the head: different personalities will meet the challenge of PF differently, and the head-on approach can be counter-productive. On the whole, it's fair to say that it's a challenge that has to be snuck up on, rather than met head on.

john h on 12/21/02 at 09:11 (103683)

Today is stupid time for me Carole. Time to get on the roof and hopefully blow the last of the pine needles and leaves off. Being on the roof is about as close as I get to the skiy these days. Leon: are you taping your feet by chance with the simple two strip method? If not give it a go.

Leon S. on 12/21/02 at 14:16 (103703)

John, I haven't done any taping. The only thing I do is stretch, ice when needed and ibuprofen, also when needed...and thanks to all of your (that means everyone) suggestions, I will refrain from anymore unnecessary walking treks...However, I will try some skiing in a couple of weeks. I'm anxious to see how that works out. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I tried on my ski boots and walked around a little in them and my feet felt fine. I will be cautious however and if some twinge shows up, I will regretfully pack it in.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/21/02 at 14:43 (103705)

Two weeks?

And you will pack it up 'if some twinge shows up'?

Good thing that women are the tougher sex. Maybe you have a wife who can take care of you when you have that set back.

Carole C

Julie on 12/21/02 at 14:54 (103706)

Your feet 'felt fine' after you walked miles and jogged.

They'll feel fine (because you'll want them to) in your ski boots and maybe even on the slopes.

Then they won't feel fine.

A setback means you've re-injured yourself.

What's the point, Leon?

Please be intelligent and wait till next winter to ski.

And do investigate taping. John won't mind my letting on that it was me that badgered him into taping, after years of not taping, and he has never regretted it. You'll find it helpful. It not only relieves pain: by 'resting' the fascia it contributes to healing.

Leon S. on 12/21/02 at 19:13 (103712)

Carole, aren't you the one who implored that I take it easy?

Leon S. on 12/21/02 at 19:16 (103713)

Julie & John, on your recommendations I will certainly look into the taping. Thanks again for the advice.

john h on 12/21/02 at 21:23 (103716)

Yes Leon we both use Leuko Tape ( 1 1/2 inch). I have to order mine. This tape does not irritate the foot as much as some and adheres well.

nancy s. on 12/22/02 at 06:38 (103727)

huh? yes, she was ONE of the ones who implored that you take it easy.

think i'll add my voice here because, leon, i'm not sure you're getting it.

t a k e - i t - e a s y ! putting on ski boots and wearing them around the house for a few minutes is a far cry from going skiing, which will test your feet to the max. why risk continual setbacks just when you're starting to feel better? there's still healing that needs to take place, my friend. honor your feet. walk for months, be grateful for those walks for a long time, and then try something more challenging, like skiing. next year.

nancy

john h on 12/22/02 at 10:22 (103741)

Nancy: I wonder if skiing is like walking around on my pitched roof for an hour? It sure puts your ankles in every conceivable position.

nancy s. on 12/22/02 at 13:20 (103756)

john, so were you up there on your pitched roof walking around for an hour? what do the neighbors think -- that you just needed a change of scene? no, i know you were working up there.

personally i think that's a no-no for you for a few reasons, but i guess after all these years you know what you can handle.

however, remember that hike without walking stick or water!

nancy

Leon S. on 12/22/02 at 18:15 (103787)

John, Can this tape be bought at local pharmacies or if not, where do you order it from and in what quantities, cost etc.?