Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Could we do without?

Posted by Pauline on 12/15/02 at 11:59 (103200)

Honestly could we do windows without knowing what Martha Stewart
recommends? Never!

Here is the Martha way:

WASHING WINDOWS

A clean window literally makes a difference in how you view the world. Washing windows, however, can be dirty business without the right tools. To clean her windows, Martha uses a squeegee and a homemade cleaning solution of water and powdered dishwasher soap.

Mix 1 tablespoon of dishwasher powder in a gallon of hot water. Wet the window with a natural sponge, and dampen the squeegee blade to prevent skipping. Starting in an upper corner, steadily drag the squeegee down the length of the pane; wipe the blade with the sponge after each stroke. Repeat, slightly overlapping the first stroke. Finish the pane by running the squeegee horizontally along the bottom of the pane, and wipe the windowsill with the sponge.

Wonder if she knows anything about cleaning the bars over windows:*)

Re: Could we do without?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 12:55 (103205)

Aha! You have no idea of how timely this is!

I will try the dishwasher powder. I'm about to try out my squeegee. Since my windows are so small, there won't be more then a couple of strokes per window.

This is one of those days when I'm tackling chores I have been putting off. I just tried 'Resolve' on a stain on my carpet, and it seems to have worked, more or less!

My ex-husband (Navy) used to check the bars over windows and doors for dirt frequently. Always think twice before marrying Navy! LOL

Carole C

Kathy G on 12/15/02 at 16:46 (103229)

Try Spot Shot on carpet stains; I've never found a stain it wouldn't take out. Oh yes, I did, but it was at my daughter's college apartment following a rather wild party so that doesn't really count. Unless you've been having wild parties that we don't know about, Carole???

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 17:08 (103231)

I could only wish for wild parties! Thanks, Kathy. I *think* I already got the spot out, but I'll check it again tomorrow.

Carole C

john h on 12/16/02 at 09:12 (103273)

One thing an ex navy guy can do for sure and that is mop and chip paint if he has had sea duty. i bet they are not very interested in mopping their home.

john h on 12/16/02 at 09:18 (103277)

Kathy you and I are on the same wave length. Spot Shot is the best stain remover I have ever come across. Sams and Home Depot sell it. It seems to take up almost anything and not cause any damage to the carpet,sofa, or whatever.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/16/02 at 09:30 (103278)

Thanks... if the spot is still there, after work, I might get some and try it. :)

Carole C

BrianG on 12/16/02 at 17:18 (103320)

How right you are John, I probably mop my kitchen floor every 5 years, whether it needs it or not :*) And don't even talk about polishing brass!!!!

BrianG

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 12:55 (103205)

Aha! You have no idea of how timely this is!

I will try the dishwasher powder. I'm about to try out my squeegee. Since my windows are so small, there won't be more then a couple of strokes per window.

This is one of those days when I'm tackling chores I have been putting off. I just tried 'Resolve' on a stain on my carpet, and it seems to have worked, more or less!

My ex-husband (Navy) used to check the bars over windows and doors for dirt frequently. Always think twice before marrying Navy! LOL

Carole C

Kathy G on 12/15/02 at 16:46 (103229)

Try Spot Shot on carpet stains; I've never found a stain it wouldn't take out. Oh yes, I did, but it was at my daughter's college apartment following a rather wild party so that doesn't really count. Unless you've been having wild parties that we don't know about, Carole???

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/02 at 17:08 (103231)

I could only wish for wild parties! Thanks, Kathy. I *think* I already got the spot out, but I'll check it again tomorrow.

Carole C

john h on 12/16/02 at 09:12 (103273)

One thing an ex navy guy can do for sure and that is mop and chip paint if he has had sea duty. i bet they are not very interested in mopping their home.

john h on 12/16/02 at 09:18 (103277)

Kathy you and I are on the same wave length. Spot Shot is the best stain remover I have ever come across. Sams and Home Depot sell it. It seems to take up almost anything and not cause any damage to the carpet,sofa, or whatever.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/16/02 at 09:30 (103278)

Thanks... if the spot is still there, after work, I might get some and try it. :)

Carole C

BrianG on 12/16/02 at 17:18 (103320)

How right you are John, I probably mop my kitchen floor every 5 years, whether it needs it or not :*) And don't even talk about polishing brass!!!!

BrianG