Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

numbness

Posted by D. Brown on 12/16/02 at 16:57 (103317)

I have been experiencing numbness in my right heel for about two weeks. At times, it feels like pins and needles. The numbness has spread to the outside of my foot and my little toe. I went and bought new shoes last week, but the problem still persists. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Are these symptoms consistent with a heel spur?

Re: numbness

Pam B on 12/18/02 at 06:57 (103463)

Most foot pain does not really come from the heel spur itself but from the fascia being to tight....the spur is the outcome of the facsia pulling.....numbness is more a sign of nerve irritation or entrapment.....have you been to a doc yet? if not, I would go as soon as possible....it could be something very treatable if you catch it early eihter with PT or orthotics or medication.....never wait too long because if you do, your pain may increase or even spread because your gait is not normal when you are hurting or experience numbness...you really should see a doc to be checked out.....trust me when I tell you, dont mess with the foot pain as it can change your entire life....good luck to you and keep us posted......Happy Holidays :)

Re: numbness

Pam B on 12/18/02 at 06:57 (103463)

Most foot pain does not really come from the heel spur itself but from the fascia being to tight....the spur is the outcome of the facsia pulling.....numbness is more a sign of nerve irritation or entrapment.....have you been to a doc yet? if not, I would go as soon as possible....it could be something very treatable if you catch it early eihter with PT or orthotics or medication.....never wait too long because if you do, your pain may increase or even spread because your gait is not normal when you are hurting or experience numbness...you really should see a doc to be checked out.....trust me when I tell you, dont mess with the foot pain as it can change your entire life....good luck to you and keep us posted......Happy Holidays :)