Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My final post-My experience with ESWT

Posted by AndrewS on 12/16/02 at 20:10 (103347)

Its been a while since I have been on this site, for good reason....I have not needed to! By way of background,I suffered from very diabling P.F. the pain from which I would rate an 8/10 on a pain scale. It became so disabling I had to give up all activity, and the morning hop to the bathroom was a daily horrible event. I tried every conservative approach, including stretching, needles, medications, casting, night boots, et cet. I even went to see the chief of foot and ankle surgery at the University of Pennsylvania to ask for surgery. He refused saying the success rate was too small. I had read about ESWT but at that time, seemed very expermental and even the doc at Penn did not recommend it.

I joined this list and started reading more about the procedure and its success rates and decided to do it after suffering for over 1 1/2 years. On March 23, 2002 I met Dr. Zuckerman and had the first of two ESWT treatments. I first had the O machine and had the 2nd procedure with Dr. Z.'s newer machine around the 1st week of July. The first procedure, after about 3 months gave me about 85% relief and the 2nd has provided me with about 95% pain relief, sometimes more, so I would now consider this a complete cure. This is especially true in light of the level of disability I had pre-treatment.

The recovery from both procedures was a non event in my opinion and the pain during the procedure was not much to speak of thanks to nerve blocks. I found Dr. Z to be professional, caring, involved, and an outstanding doctor. He always takes calls, follows up, takes lots of time to explain things and answers all of my annoying questions.

I paid $2,500 for the proceudre and submitted it to my insurer, Independence Blue Cross of PA, under the Personal Choice program. As expected, the claim was initially denied and I appealed that decision. I am happy to report that after my insurer had a doctor review my claim, he found the treatment to be reasonable and I am now going to be reimbursed.

So, in conclusion, I can't say how happy this entire process has made me. I would highly recommend this procedure to anyone suffering from this ailment. There is simply no reason not to have this done. I will stick around to reply if anyone has any questions about my experience, but after this thread is through, I am gone hopefully forever!!

Good luck everyone.
Andrew Spiegel
215 483 9800

Re: My final post-My experience with ESWT

Julie on 12/17/02 at 02:43 (103372)

Thanks for posting this, Andrew. It's good to hear of your successful experience. It will surely encourage others.

But why be gone forever? Although you don't need help any more, you did get the help you needed here. And there are always new people with heel pain who turn to this website hoping for help, which you could give. Couldn't you devote a little time to give back to others some of what you have been given?

You learned a lot from your experience. Stick around and share what you know. At least look in occasionally to keep encouraging others.

But even if you can't, best of luck for the future - and may your pain never return.

john h on 12/17/02 at 11:02 (103397)

Andrew Speigel: You did not perhaps go to Highland Park High School, Illinois did you? John Holt

AndrewS on 12/17/02 at 13:18 (103404)

Ok, I will stick around for a bit. Good thinking. And its not me. Never been to IL.

Mar on 12/17/02 at 13:25 (103405)

Thanks for sharing your success story Andrew. Mine has not been that way yet, but it gives me hope. You really should visit here from time to time and encourage those of us who are where you once were. Very few success stories hang around! Mar

JenL on 12/17/02 at 16:06 (103423)

Hi Andrew,
It's great that we can share your success experience.
I guess you got the ESWT for just one foot? The cost you mentioned was the total for two procedures? Another question: since you received anesthesia through IV, did you kind of 'fall at sleep' during the procedure?
I'm asking because I'm very susceptible to anesthesia. Once for a simple procedure I was completely knocked out with an amount that usually one would feel drowsy.
Thanks for your postiong.

Julie on 12/17/02 at 16:17 (103424)

Good. I'm glad. You can see from the responses you've had how much people appreciate your sharing your success. And there will be many more people who need to hear about it and who will be heartened by it.

Thanks!

AndrewS on 12/17/02 at 16:32 (103425)

I was not sedated, Dr. Z gives you a nerve block in your foot. You feel very little and there is no sedation. The cost of $2,500.00 was for one foot and I understand it includes as many retreatments as needed. You can ask Dr. Z to confirm.

Julie on 12/17/02 at 02:43 (103372)

Thanks for posting this, Andrew. It's good to hear of your successful experience. It will surely encourage others.

But why be gone forever? Although you don't need help any more, you did get the help you needed here. And there are always new people with heel pain who turn to this website hoping for help, which you could give. Couldn't you devote a little time to give back to others some of what you have been given?

You learned a lot from your experience. Stick around and share what you know. At least look in occasionally to keep encouraging others.

But even if you can't, best of luck for the future - and may your pain never return.

john h on 12/17/02 at 11:02 (103397)

Andrew Speigel: You did not perhaps go to Highland Park High School, Illinois did you? John Holt

AndrewS on 12/17/02 at 13:18 (103404)

Ok, I will stick around for a bit. Good thinking. And its not me. Never been to IL.

Mar on 12/17/02 at 13:25 (103405)

Thanks for sharing your success story Andrew. Mine has not been that way yet, but it gives me hope. You really should visit here from time to time and encourage those of us who are where you once were. Very few success stories hang around! Mar

JenL on 12/17/02 at 16:06 (103423)

Hi Andrew,
It's great that we can share your success experience.
I guess you got the ESWT for just one foot? The cost you mentioned was the total for two procedures? Another question: since you received anesthesia through IV, did you kind of 'fall at sleep' during the procedure?
I'm asking because I'm very susceptible to anesthesia. Once for a simple procedure I was completely knocked out with an amount that usually one would feel drowsy.
Thanks for your postiong.

Julie on 12/17/02 at 16:17 (103424)

Good. I'm glad. You can see from the responses you've had how much people appreciate your sharing your success. And there will be many more people who need to hear about it and who will be heartened by it.

Thanks!

AndrewS on 12/17/02 at 16:32 (103425)

I was not sedated, Dr. Z gives you a nerve block in your foot. You feel very little and there is no sedation. The cost of $2,500.00 was for one foot and I understand it includes as many retreatments as needed. You can ask Dr. Z to confirm.

Mahatmelissama on 4/02/03 at 15:52 (115185)

I am perusing all the ESWT stories I can since I want to get this done.
This is great to hear! I would love to hear how you are doing right now.