Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

gift wrapping............

Posted by JudyS on 12/16/02 at 20:26 (103353)

Folks, the wind and rain are blowing somethin' fierce outside........I have a bottle of Chardonney (I know, that's very Californian of me ), a whole bunch of scotch tape, a pair of scissors, and a room full of presents to wrap.........wish me luck, I'm goin' in......

Re: gift wrapping............

Nancy N on 12/16/02 at 20:34 (103354)

More power to you! I have to admit that I don't enjoy gift-wrapping AT ALL. Especially since I bought some really wild wrapping paper a few years ago, which is actually a thin layer of plastic. It's really cool to look at, very metallic-y in different colors--I have silver, gold, blue, and purple, and maybe some red or green. The problem is that, since it's not actually paper, it doesn't really fold well. And since I have only the two hands, it's a heckuva thing to try to keep the 'paper' folded long enough to tape it! I end up with tiny little bits of tape all over the place, holding the package together.

So, may the force be with you, Judy!

Tammie on 12/16/02 at 23:18 (103366)

Nancy, I to have troubles getting the wraping together I feel like a child wrapping a presant. If there is a presant that is pretty it is because I paid the donation to the salvation army to wrap, and its done and it looks great and I can sit back and drink my hot cocoa!

But this year I have not been out all that much so I to will have to struggle with the wrapping jungle! Watch out as I usually have a couple pare of sissors, tape and pens as it always seems as tho they run away and I have to search and search to see where I set them , darn is that old age to?

Be careful if you get a presant as I give ,LOL I usualy forget whose it was as I wraped and I add a name and well it is sometimes someone elses and it causes such a ruckas as they all chant MOM I am not a boy or MOM I am not wearing that ,Maybe I should do this to all of the gifts it would be alot of fun guessing what is in it and who is it for Guy or Gal.What a laugh!

Pam B on 12/17/02 at 08:05 (103379)

My thought is that as we wrap each gift, to count our blessings :) good luck, if we dont see ya soon, we will send in the emergency team to find you in all that paper and tape :):)

Necee on 12/17/02 at 10:27 (103389)

For me gift bags are the way to go. It's quick, and simple. I buy inexpensive bags fill them with my gifts, add a little festive tissue paper, and wa-lah! I'm done. No sissors, no blood, no tape, no mess. Sometimes I add an ornament, or some little gift to the bag handle.

Happy trails...

Necee

Suzanne D on 12/17/02 at 12:08 (103401)

I use gift bags a lot as well, Necee. In the past, I have bought plain brown bags with handles and then decorated them. Fabric with 'wonder-under' or one of those iron-on adhesives works well when lightly ironed to the bags. It's faster than regular wrapping although I do like to wrap when I have the time. I know that sounds strange ~ but I like wrapping presents ~ and I even like ironing! (But forget window washing or floor scrubbing!) :-)

One year when my daughters were young, I gave them each a plain white box the size for shirts and told them to decorate it with crayons and markers. We placed their daddy's presents in the boxes. We have re-used those year after year, and they get more special as the years go by. Maybe some of you with young children (or grandchildren) might like that idea. All you have to do is keep up with the boxes year after year!

Suzanne :-)

Kathy G on 12/17/02 at 17:02 (103428)

These days our family's so old (Note I said our family is old, not us, just the family!) that most of them get checks which I mail to them in Christmas Cards before the holiday. My neice has a year-old baby though so we had fun buying clothes and toys for him and those, we'll wrap. And I have a few for my daughter and husband.

I absolutely hate to wrap presents and I do a terrible job! I'm so thankful that they invented gift bags! Luckily, my husband just loves to wrap and he's really good at it, so I just get him the equipment and sit back and watch him!

This brings back a pleasant, funny memory to me. My first job was in a children's clothing store. The wife of the owner also worked in the store. I was hired very close to Christmas, and I was only 16. I was attempting to wrap a Christmas present and not doing well. She was very outspoken and loudly complained that I was doing a terrible job. I looked at her, and said, 'Well, no one asked me if I was good at wrapping presents when I was interviewed.' Her husband burst out laughing, the other clerks waited with baited breath to see what she'd say but she only laughed. I was new and didn't realize that no one talked back to her as she ruled the place with an iron hand!

She and I became good friends; I stayed at the store and became the bookkeeper for five years and during that time, I was seldom asked to wrap a gift!

wendyn on 12/17/02 at 20:28 (103436)

A VERY frugal friend of mine often wraps Christmas presents in the comic sections of newspaper. Kids seem to be pretty impressed!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/17/02 at 21:03 (103440)

My mother has always wrapped her gifts in very frugal style. She did this even before re-cycling became more usual.

All of her life, on Christmas day she has opened her presents very slowly and carefully, not tearing the paper at all. She neatly folds the Christmas paper, and later puts all the Christmas paper away for next year. The next year, that's what she uses to wrap her presents.

She also saves her Christmas cards each year. Then, she uses small, bright pieces of them for tags to put on the gifts. She cuts them out of the cards, omitting any writing.

And of course, the bows were recycled too.

My Mom is such a dear! I think her motivation was partly that she could not bear to just throw away the beautiful wrappings and bows at Christmastime. She loves beautiful, bright things.

Carole C

carynz on 12/17/02 at 22:59 (103452)

done that for years, way cheaper and everyone gets a chance to read the local paper ha ha.

cheers Carynz

carynz on 12/17/02 at 23:02 (103453)

oh my god! I'd have to help her tear them apart which is half the fun. I remember the first Christmas my husband was part of our family (he is from a large family and had never really celebrated this side of Christmas with his family before so it was very new to him) he did the same thing not wanting to tear the paper or anything. My dad finally said come on son we don't have all day, the turkey will dry out. WE all died laughing which of course broke the ice for him and he's never done it again but we sure have a laugh rememebering about how slow he was.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

cheers Carynz

Kathy G on 12/18/02 at 07:58 (103466)

Reminds me of the Bert and Ernie Christmas skit. Bert tried to save the paper and Ernie would rip right into it! My daughter had a friend who was the absolute opposite of her and we used to say that listening to the two of them was like listening to Bert and Ernie! My daughter was definitely Ernie; still is!

Suzanne D on 12/18/02 at 09:15 (103473)

Carole, my mama did the same thing. And she also lightly IRONED the paper the next year! Did your mama ever do that? I have to admit I have done the same thing. She did the tags from old cards as well. I have done that, too, but now it seems you can find gift tags at the only a dollar places, and I get those.

Also, my family really tries to speed me up when I open gifts as I tend to look at the paper carefully, slowly open not tearing any of it, fold it up, etc. They all say, 'Just open it ~ PLEASE!'

Carole C in NOLA on 12/18/02 at 13:22 (103488)

Yes, my mother always ironed the paper the next year. :)

Most people would think that I unwrap presents slowly, but by my mother's standards my speed would be pretty brisk. Because we unwrapped presents slowly, and because of a family tradition of only one person unwrapping one present at a time, when I was a kid it took us more than three hours to get all the presents unwrapped. That made Christmas that much more fun! Other kids were done opening presents before we even started (the rule was, that we could not start until at least 7 AM and until everyone was assembled). I felt sorry for other kids because the fun part of Christmas was wondering what each gift might be and we had all morning to speculate. :)

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/16/02 at 20:34 (103354)

More power to you! I have to admit that I don't enjoy gift-wrapping AT ALL. Especially since I bought some really wild wrapping paper a few years ago, which is actually a thin layer of plastic. It's really cool to look at, very metallic-y in different colors--I have silver, gold, blue, and purple, and maybe some red or green. The problem is that, since it's not actually paper, it doesn't really fold well. And since I have only the two hands, it's a heckuva thing to try to keep the 'paper' folded long enough to tape it! I end up with tiny little bits of tape all over the place, holding the package together.

So, may the force be with you, Judy!

Tammie on 12/16/02 at 23:18 (103366)

Nancy, I to have troubles getting the wraping together I feel like a child wrapping a presant. If there is a presant that is pretty it is because I paid the donation to the salvation army to wrap, and its done and it looks great and I can sit back and drink my hot cocoa!

But this year I have not been out all that much so I to will have to struggle with the wrapping jungle! Watch out as I usually have a couple pare of sissors, tape and pens as it always seems as tho they run away and I have to search and search to see where I set them , darn is that old age to?

Be careful if you get a presant as I give ,LOL I usualy forget whose it was as I wraped and I add a name and well it is sometimes someone elses and it causes such a ruckas as they all chant MOM I am not a boy or MOM I am not wearing that ,Maybe I should do this to all of the gifts it would be alot of fun guessing what is in it and who is it for Guy or Gal.What a laugh!

Pam B on 12/17/02 at 08:05 (103379)

My thought is that as we wrap each gift, to count our blessings :) good luck, if we dont see ya soon, we will send in the emergency team to find you in all that paper and tape :):)

Necee on 12/17/02 at 10:27 (103389)

For me gift bags are the way to go. It's quick, and simple. I buy inexpensive bags fill them with my gifts, add a little festive tissue paper, and wa-lah! I'm done. No sissors, no blood, no tape, no mess. Sometimes I add an ornament, or some little gift to the bag handle.

Happy trails...

Necee

Suzanne D on 12/17/02 at 12:08 (103401)

I use gift bags a lot as well, Necee. In the past, I have bought plain brown bags with handles and then decorated them. Fabric with 'wonder-under' or one of those iron-on adhesives works well when lightly ironed to the bags. It's faster than regular wrapping although I do like to wrap when I have the time. I know that sounds strange ~ but I like wrapping presents ~ and I even like ironing! (But forget window washing or floor scrubbing!) :-)

One year when my daughters were young, I gave them each a plain white box the size for shirts and told them to decorate it with crayons and markers. We placed their daddy's presents in the boxes. We have re-used those year after year, and they get more special as the years go by. Maybe some of you with young children (or grandchildren) might like that idea. All you have to do is keep up with the boxes year after year!

Kathy G on 12/17/02 at 17:02 (103428)

These days our family's so old (Note I said our family is old, not us, just the family!) that most of them get checks which I mail to them in Christmas Cards before the holiday. My neice has a year-old baby though so we had fun buying clothes and toys for him and those, we'll wrap. And I have a few for my daughter and husband.

I absolutely hate to wrap presents and I do a terrible job! I'm so thankful that they invented gift bags! Luckily, my husband just loves to wrap and he's really good at it, so I just get him the equipment and sit back and watch him!

This brings back a pleasant, funny memory to me. My first job was in a children's clothing store. The wife of the owner also worked in the store. I was hired very close to Christmas, and I was only 16. I was attempting to wrap a Christmas present and not doing well. She was very outspoken and loudly complained that I was doing a terrible job. I looked at her, and said, 'Well, no one asked me if I was good at wrapping presents when I was interviewed.' Her husband burst out laughing, the other clerks waited with baited breath to see what she'd say but she only laughed. I was new and didn't realize that no one talked back to her as she ruled the place with an iron hand!

She and I became good friends; I stayed at the store and became the bookkeeper for five years and during that time, I was seldom asked to wrap a gift!

wendyn on 12/17/02 at 20:28 (103436)

A VERY frugal friend of mine often wraps Christmas presents in the comic sections of newspaper. Kids seem to be pretty impressed!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/17/02 at 21:03 (103440)

My mother has always wrapped her gifts in very frugal style. She did this even before re-cycling became more usual.

All of her life, on Christmas day she has opened her presents very slowly and carefully, not tearing the paper at all. She neatly folds the Christmas paper, and later puts all the Christmas paper away for next year. The next year, that's what she uses to wrap her presents.

She also saves her Christmas cards each year. Then, she uses small, bright pieces of them for tags to put on the gifts. She cuts them out of the cards, omitting any writing.

And of course, the bows were recycled too.

My Mom is such a dear! I think her motivation was partly that she could not bear to just throw away the beautiful wrappings and bows at Christmastime. She loves beautiful, bright things.

Carole C

carynz on 12/17/02 at 22:59 (103452)

done that for years, way cheaper and everyone gets a chance to read the local paper ha ha.

cheers Carynz

carynz on 12/17/02 at 23:02 (103453)

oh my god! I'd have to help her tear them apart which is half the fun. I remember the first Christmas my husband was part of our family (he is from a large family and had never really celebrated this side of Christmas with his family before so it was very new to him) he did the same thing not wanting to tear the paper or anything. My dad finally said come on son we don't have all day, the turkey will dry out. WE all died laughing which of course broke the ice for him and he's never done it again but we sure have a laugh rememebering about how slow he was.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

cheers Carynz

Kathy G on 12/18/02 at 07:58 (103466)

Reminds me of the Bert and Ernie Christmas skit. Bert tried to save the paper and Ernie would rip right into it! My daughter had a friend who was the absolute opposite of her and we used to say that listening to the two of them was like listening to Bert and Ernie! My daughter was definitely Ernie; still is!

Suzanne D on 12/18/02 at 09:15 (103473)

Carole, my mama did the same thing. And she also lightly IRONED the paper the next year! Did your mama ever do that? I have to admit I have done the same thing. She did the tags from old cards as well. I have done that, too, but now it seems you can find gift tags at the only a dollar places, and I get those.

Also, my family really tries to speed me up when I open gifts as I tend to look at the paper carefully, slowly open not tearing any of it, fold it up, etc. They all say, 'Just open it ~ PLEASE!'

Carole C in NOLA on 12/18/02 at 13:22 (103488)

Yes, my mother always ironed the paper the next year. :)

Most people would think that I unwrap presents slowly, but by my mother's standards my speed would be pretty brisk. Because we unwrapped presents slowly, and because of a family tradition of only one person unwrapping one present at a time, when I was a kid it took us more than three hours to get all the presents unwrapped. That made Christmas that much more fun! Other kids were done opening presents before we even started (the rule was, that we could not start until at least 7 AM and until everyone was assembled). I felt sorry for other kids because the fun part of Christmas was wondering what each gift might be and we had all morning to speculate. :)

Carole C