Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The Christmas "Gift"

Posted by Necee on 12/17/02 at 00:43 (103367)

After reading the thread below about our favorite Christmas presents, it reminded me of something that happened several years ago.

It was my first Christmas after the death of my mom, we were very close and I was missing her terribly. I loved making her happy at Christmas, we shared some wonderful times together, and not having her around made me feel lonely and depressed. I moped around and cried for days before Christmas, all the while knowing that I should get a handle on my emotions and just make the best of it....well...one day it hit me, since I didn't have my mom I couldn't let the gift of giving stop. I went to our local Outreach Center and got the names of 3 families that were in need, with my list in hand I headed for the store. On Christmas eve I made my deliveries to each house. The first stop was an elderly lady, she seemed amazed but grateful. The next stop was a young couple with 2 children, the husband couldn't stop saying 'thank you'. My last stop was a simple white frame house, an elderly lady on oxygen answered the door, upon entering I noticed the window blinds were closed, it was dark and depressing inside. After bringing her groceries in she thanked me and invited me back sometime for a visit. Two weeks later I went back to see her, we sat and talked for quite a while, during our conversation she talked about her childhood, and teenage years, and it just so happened that she grew up in the same town as my dad and his brother, she began talking about her first love, and so I asked her if she remembered his name......come to find out it was my Uncle! My uncle's wife had died 3 yrs before, so when I told him about my discovery he relished the thought of having someone to talk to, and so they began talking on the phone. Those two reminisced daily and brought life back into eachothers lives. Upon making several visits back to see her I noticed she always had her windows open, and life glowed from her face. The wonderful thing is......I noticed the same thing about myself!!!

Giving is the greatest gift of all!

Happy trails and Merry Christmas

Necee

Re: The Christmas "Gift"

Carole C in NOLA on 12/17/02 at 06:51 (103374)

That is so sweet! What a coincidence. :)

Carole C

Pam B on 12/17/02 at 08:02 (103378)

Very nice story......the spirit of Christmas is a wonderful thing :)

Suzanne D on 12/17/02 at 12:11 (103402)

That's such a beautiful story, Necee, and more so because it is a true story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Truly the best gifts come from the heart, and truly it is more blessed to give than to receive. And I've always found it to be so that when you give to others, it comes back to you many times over in joy and happiness.

Suzanne :-)

Kathy G on 12/17/02 at 16:50 (103427)

Thanks for sharing the story, Necee. It sounds like something you'd read in the Reader's Digest! It was a great way to honor your mother's memory and in doing so, you made two other people happy. How rewarding!

Necee on 12/17/02 at 23:10 (103454)

Thank you all for your nice comments.
I just wanted to mention something, I in no way want to take credit or put myself up on a pedestal. I shared this story because of it's unique twist of fate, and mainly because I wanted to possibly give others hope, and let them know that peace and contentment can come out of hopelessness and depression.

Happy trails...

Necee

Suzanne D on 12/18/02 at 09:02 (103471)

That's such a beautiful story, Necee, and more so because it is a true story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Truly the best gifts come from the heart, and truly it is more blessed to give than to receive. And I've always found it to be so that when you give to others, it comes back to you many times over in joy and happiness.

Re: Now how did I post that again today? Sorry! (nm)

Suzanne D on 12/18/02 at 09:12 (103472)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/17/02 at 06:51 (103374)

That is so sweet! What a coincidence. :)

Carole C

Pam B on 12/17/02 at 08:02 (103378)

Very nice story......the spirit of Christmas is a wonderful thing :)

Suzanne D on 12/17/02 at 12:11 (103402)

Kathy G on 12/17/02 at 16:50 (103427)

Thanks for sharing the story, Necee. It sounds like something you'd read in the Reader's Digest! It was a great way to honor your mother's memory and in doing so, you made two other people happy. How rewarding!

Necee on 12/17/02 at 23:10 (103454)

Thank you all for your nice comments.
I just wanted to mention something, I in no way want to take credit or put myself up on a pedestal. I shared this story because of it's unique twist of fate, and mainly because I wanted to possibly give others hope, and let them know that peace and contentment can come out of hopelessness and depression.

Happy trails...

Necee

Suzanne D on 12/18/02 at 09:02 (103471)

Re: Now how did I post that again today? Sorry! (nm)

Suzanne D on 12/18/02 at 09:12 (103472)