Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ankle fusion

Posted by don cass on 12/17/02 at 07:17 (103377)

I was in an accident that ripped my foot almost off. I was in a fixator for 4 months and in a walking cast now. the doctor says fusion is the answer because the cartlidge is gone between the bones. Is there a cartlidge replacement possible?

Re: ankle fusion

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/17/02 at 11:10 (103399)

What type of fusion. Are we talking about an ankle fusion. If so there are ankle implant instead of ankle fusions. Where do you live?

don cass on 12/17/02 at 14:27 (103416)

mY MEDICAL RECORDS REFLECT A TRIMALLEOR ANKLE FRACTURE/DISLOCATION WITH POSIBLE DVT.TIBLA ALIGNMENT AND FIULA HAD WIRE ACROSS THE SYNDESMOSIS. GOT ANY IDEA WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT?

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/17/02 at 14:45 (103418)

Yes. This is a very bad fracture. It appears that you also had a blood clot ( DVT). IF there is pain with motion and the joint surface is eroded then either a fusion of the ankle joint or a implant of the ankle joint is some of your choices. A brace might work depending upon the damage and the amount of time on your feet

Dr. David S. Wander on 12/18/02 at 14:03 (103490)

From your history, an ankle fusion may be the best alternative. Ankle joint implants still have not gained great popularity, and may not be able to be utilized, depending on the condition of the bones following the trauma. Additionally, as with any implant in the foot, there is a 'life' to the implants, which means that there is a very good chance that the implant will have to be replaced in several years. A fusion can ultimately be an excellent procedure to eliminate your pain. From your description, I doubt if a brace will solve your problem.

don cass on 12/19/02 at 06:59 (103527)

Thankyou for your responce. I kind of figured that but wanted a second opinion. Realy not looking forward to the future limping but its better than the crutches ive been on for a year.Have a good holiday.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/17/02 at 11:10 (103399)

What type of fusion. Are we talking about an ankle fusion. If so there are ankle implant instead of ankle fusions. Where do you live?

don cass on 12/17/02 at 14:27 (103416)

mY MEDICAL RECORDS REFLECT A TRIMALLEOR ANKLE FRACTURE/DISLOCATION WITH POSIBLE DVT.TIBLA ALIGNMENT AND FIULA HAD WIRE ACROSS THE SYNDESMOSIS. GOT ANY IDEA WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT?

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/17/02 at 14:45 (103418)

Yes. This is a very bad fracture. It appears that you also had a blood clot ( DVT). IF there is pain with motion and the joint surface is eroded then either a fusion of the ankle joint or a implant of the ankle joint is some of your choices. A brace might work depending upon the damage and the amount of time on your feet

Dr. David S. Wander on 12/18/02 at 14:03 (103490)

From your history, an ankle fusion may be the best alternative. Ankle joint implants still have not gained great popularity, and may not be able to be utilized, depending on the condition of the bones following the trauma. Additionally, as with any implant in the foot, there is a 'life' to the implants, which means that there is a very good chance that the implant will have to be replaced in several years. A fusion can ultimately be an excellent procedure to eliminate your pain. From your description, I doubt if a brace will solve your problem.

don cass on 12/19/02 at 06:59 (103527)

Thankyou for your responce. I kind of figured that but wanted a second opinion. Realy not looking forward to the future limping but its better than the crutches ive been on for a year.Have a good holiday.