Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MAFO Brace

Posted by Pam B on 12/17/02 at 13:42 (103413)

Anyone here ever have a MAFO/AFO Brace for foot pain? I have just been fitted for one and the only other person I know that has it is Laurie R......has anyone here had one? did it help and if so, how long did you have to wear it? or are you still wearing it.....I am hoping it will alleviate some of the walking pain so I can move around more....any one here have any info?

Re: MAFO Brace

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/17/02 at 19:28 (103433)

AFO stands for 'ankle foot orthotic.' I don't know what the 'M' stands for. Ask your orthotist.
Ed

Re: Doctor ED

Pam B on 12/17/02 at 20:47 (103438)

The M stands for Molded.....I was interested to know if this brace helped anyone or not....or if it was temporary or permanent? Laurie R is the only one I know that has one and she just did in fact get it.....what is your experience with these braces?

Thank you for you time and your responses :)

matts on 12/17/02 at 22:05 (103449)

Iwas given an afo last december for posterial tibial tendonitis. it provided almost instant relief from arch and heel pain for 8 or 9 months. when i tried to quit using all the time some new problems came up on outside of footand ankle and the dr thought my foot should have been pretty much healed by that time, so he did another mri and found torn tendon on outside of foot and more fluid than a year ago around the ptt. so i guess what i would say that for pain relief it was the best thing i ever tried and still can get some relief while wearing it. the other tendon problems apparently have kept my foot from getting well.

Pam B on 12/18/02 at 06:46 (103461)

Thank you for you input....I do have posterior tibal tendonitis and have had it since before my surgery in 2/02....also have achilles tendonitis...had the facsia released and spur removed in my surgery and have just been diagnosed with RSD in addition to cuboid syndrome (from surgery I presume)...I am hoping this brace will enable me to walk some, I have been pretty much chair or couch bound for more than a year.....my surgery did help but as stated on these boards, other issues have arisen since then.....thank you so much for you insight and I hope that you will have a better New Year....this foot stuff sure does change the course of ones life, dont it? take care and thanks again :)

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/17/02 at 19:28 (103433)

AFO stands for 'ankle foot orthotic.' I don't know what the 'M' stands for. Ask your orthotist.
Ed

Re: Doctor ED

Pam B on 12/17/02 at 20:47 (103438)

The M stands for Molded.....I was interested to know if this brace helped anyone or not....or if it was temporary or permanent? Laurie R is the only one I know that has one and she just did in fact get it.....what is your experience with these braces?

Thank you for you time and your responses :)

matts on 12/17/02 at 22:05 (103449)

Iwas given an afo last december for posterial tibial tendonitis. it provided almost instant relief from arch and heel pain for 8 or 9 months. when i tried to quit using all the time some new problems came up on outside of footand ankle and the dr thought my foot should have been pretty much healed by that time, so he did another mri and found torn tendon on outside of foot and more fluid than a year ago around the ptt. so i guess what i would say that for pain relief it was the best thing i ever tried and still can get some relief while wearing it. the other tendon problems apparently have kept my foot from getting well.

Pam B on 12/18/02 at 06:46 (103461)

Thank you for you input....I do have posterior tibal tendonitis and have had it since before my surgery in 2/02....also have achilles tendonitis...had the facsia released and spur removed in my surgery and have just been diagnosed with RSD in addition to cuboid syndrome (from surgery I presume)...I am hoping this brace will enable me to walk some, I have been pretty much chair or couch bound for more than a year.....my surgery did help but as stated on these boards, other issues have arisen since then.....thank you so much for you insight and I hope that you will have a better New Year....this foot stuff sure does change the course of ones life, dont it? take care and thanks again :)

Patti on 8/18/09 at 13:04 (259820)

I am wearing a MAFO brace for 5 months. I have OCD of the Talus, 3rd stage and I also use a bone growth stimulator. It's working! and I will not appear to need nasty surgery. I walk all over the place and it doesn't slow me down. It does get warm (especially when I went to Mexico). Good luck with your brace.