Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

life after TTS

Posted by Kerin S on 12/17/02 at 20:43 (103437)

My tarsal tunnel surgery was Oct. 3. As of today my foot is still so numb that I can barely stand it. It feels as if a turnacot has been tied around the calf of my leg and made my foot extremely numb to the point that I can't fuctional normally and feel as if life is never going to be the same. My Dr. has tried many, many different pain pills and medications to work on the nerves, but to no avail. I have to take Ambien (a sleeping pill) to be able to go to sleep. It's the only time that I'm not aware of the pain and numbness.

Has anybody else has these symptoms for this amount of time? Is there hope in sight for relief or am I doomed forever?

Re: life after TTS

Barbara S. on 12/17/02 at 21:36 (103445)

Kerin S. I had my TT Surgery April 22,2002 my foot didn't feel any better for at least 4 months. I'm still not a 100%,but maybe 75-80%. It has been a long haul. I have lost my job in Aug. as my Docs wouldn't release me and the disability center at my job wanted me to return June 8th. At that time I still was not able to walk on my foot. I had about 3 months of PT before I could finally but some weight on my foot. Right now I still have numbness and tingling in my toes and acheness in my heel and ankle area. I was a 4-6 mile walker a day at least 5 times a week. I still don't walk like that,but I can ride my recumbent bike for 1/2 hr at a time. I can do some shopping,but standing in line for checkout is the worst.
I'm still hopeful I was told it can take up to a year or more. I'm going slow as I don't want to go through this again.
Everyone heals at a different rate. Don't rush things. You will be better off in the long run if it take it slowly.
I have an attorney working on getting my job back,but this is a slow process also.
So take it easy and Good Luck
Barbara S.

Sharon W on 12/18/02 at 00:43 (103456)

Barbara,

I know what you mean about checkout lines!! I was at the post office today, (belatedly) mailing the rest of my gifts, and had to stand in line. OUCH! Even though I was shifting my weight from one foot to the other, it was killing me!

Usually, I try to do my shopping in the evening when my husband is home -- then HE can stand in the checkout lines, while I go sit in the car and wait.

You gave some good advice: go slow, and be very careful not to injure your foot or ankle as they heal, because NOBODY wants to go through this AGAIN!

Sharon

eileenc on 12/23/02 at 08:40 (103831)

Checkout lines -- the worst!
I kneel if the line is too long. Yes, I get weird looks but my feet don't hurt. When people ask me if I am O.K., I just answer,'Foot surgery'. Often they nod their heads in sympathy.

Sharon W on 12/23/02 at 09:42 (103843)

One of those chair canes would be very helpful in that situation.

Sharon

wendyn on 12/23/02 at 10:29 (103844)

Line ups always seem to be a big problem. I do the 'pee shuffle' back and forth...I'm sure it looks like I have to go to the bathroom.

In desperate circumstances, I've been known to flip over one of the little shopping baskets and sit on it.

Kerin S on 12/23/02 at 23:34 (103880)

Thanks for telling your story about your TTS. It makes me feel encouraged to hang in there. Me and my husband are self-employed and I work out of our home, but I have said several times that if I had a job outside of the home, I would have for sure lost it.

Barbara S. on 12/17/02 at 21:36 (103445)

Kerin S. I had my TT Surgery April 22,2002 my foot didn't feel any better for at least 4 months. I'm still not a 100%,but maybe 75-80%. It has been a long haul. I have lost my job in Aug. as my Docs wouldn't release me and the disability center at my job wanted me to return June 8th. At that time I still was not able to walk on my foot. I had about 3 months of PT before I could finally but some weight on my foot. Right now I still have numbness and tingling in my toes and acheness in my heel and ankle area. I was a 4-6 mile walker a day at least 5 times a week. I still don't walk like that,but I can ride my recumbent bike for 1/2 hr at a time. I can do some shopping,but standing in line for checkout is the worst.
I'm still hopeful I was told it can take up to a year or more. I'm going slow as I don't want to go through this again.
Everyone heals at a different rate. Don't rush things. You will be better off in the long run if it take it slowly.
I have an attorney working on getting my job back,but this is a slow process also.
So take it easy and Good Luck
Barbara S.

Sharon W on 12/18/02 at 00:43 (103456)

Barbara,

I know what you mean about checkout lines!! I was at the post office today, (belatedly) mailing the rest of my gifts, and had to stand in line. OUCH! Even though I was shifting my weight from one foot to the other, it was killing me!

Usually, I try to do my shopping in the evening when my husband is home -- then HE can stand in the checkout lines, while I go sit in the car and wait.

You gave some good advice: go slow, and be very careful not to injure your foot or ankle as they heal, because NOBODY wants to go through this AGAIN!

Sharon

eileenc on 12/23/02 at 08:40 (103831)

Checkout lines -- the worst!
I kneel if the line is too long. Yes, I get weird looks but my feet don't hurt. When people ask me if I am O.K., I just answer,'Foot surgery'. Often they nod their heads in sympathy.

Sharon W on 12/23/02 at 09:42 (103843)

One of those chair canes would be very helpful in that situation.

Sharon

wendyn on 12/23/02 at 10:29 (103844)

Line ups always seem to be a big problem. I do the 'pee shuffle' back and forth...I'm sure it looks like I have to go to the bathroom.

In desperate circumstances, I've been known to flip over one of the little shopping baskets and sit on it.

Kerin S on 12/23/02 at 23:34 (103880)

Thanks for telling your story about your TTS. It makes me feel encouraged to hang in there. Me and my husband are self-employed and I work out of our home, but I have said several times that if I had a job outside of the home, I would have for sure lost it.