Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does thickening of PF ever get "thin"?

Posted by Shawn P on 12/18/02 at 09:37 (103475)

I recently had an MRI. It showed thickening of the plantar fascia. What exactly is this thickening. It is scar tissure? Can the thickeness of the PF ever get thinner?

Re: Does thickening of PF ever get "thin"?

dave r on 12/18/02 at 13:53 (103489)

The thickening is scar tissue and inflamation. It has become thickened from tearing, this micro tearing results in scar tissue and inflamation. Did your doctor tell you how thick it was? I believe a typical male should be at 3 to 5 millimeters. Eswt can help to shrink it

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/18/02 at 20:43 (103522)

Shawn:

Thickening of the plantar fascia is related to chronic plantar fasciitis and is a reaction to repetitive strain and chronic inflammation.

There are no good studies that relate treatment outcomes to thinning of the fascia. Only a modality that affects tissue quality would be expected to influence plantar fascial thickness. The only modality with a direct affect on tissue quality is ESWT.
Ed

Shawn P on 12/19/02 at 08:08 (103531)

Thanks Dr. Davis. Does that mean that it will never heal without ESTW? Even complete rest (casting) will not help this chronic condition? Does this also mean that once thickened, it will only get worse and is degenerative?

dave r on 12/19/02 at 15:50 (103555)

Actually, i would bet that if a mechanical problem with your foot or gate is corrected then you will have a good chance to be back to a normal state after a number of years. I have read that it takes 7 years for damaged tissue to complete go back to a normal state. Is that true doctors?

dave r on 12/18/02 at 13:53 (103489)

The thickening is scar tissue and inflamation. It has become thickened from tearing, this micro tearing results in scar tissue and inflamation. Did your doctor tell you how thick it was? I believe a typical male should be at 3 to 5 millimeters. Eswt can help to shrink it

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/18/02 at 20:43 (103522)

Shawn:

Thickening of the plantar fascia is related to chronic plantar fasciitis and is a reaction to repetitive strain and chronic inflammation.

There are no good studies that relate treatment outcomes to thinning of the fascia. Only a modality that affects tissue quality would be expected to influence plantar fascial thickness. The only modality with a direct affect on tissue quality is ESWT.
Ed

Shawn P on 12/19/02 at 08:08 (103531)

Thanks Dr. Davis. Does that mean that it will never heal without ESTW? Even complete rest (casting) will not help this chronic condition? Does this also mean that once thickened, it will only get worse and is degenerative?

dave r on 12/19/02 at 15:50 (103555)

Actually, i would bet that if a mechanical problem with your foot or gate is corrected then you will have a good chance to be back to a normal state after a number of years. I have read that it takes 7 years for damaged tissue to complete go back to a normal state. Is that true doctors?