Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

biomechanical instability of the foot and ankle

Posted by Carl on 12/18/02 at 14:53 (103492)

I found a website (http://www.myfootshop.com/detail.asp?Condition=Tarsal%20Tunnel%20Syndrome) which claims that 'biomechanical instability of the foot and ankle' is one cause for TTS. This got me to thinking that maybe
'weak ankles' may be the reason I have TTS. I have done a lot of hiking and many times my ankle will sort of collapse when I hit an uneven spot in the trail (not the to the point of twisting or spraining my ankle, but the ankle does sort of pop out to the side). Anyway, I'm wondering if anybody else with TTS has this experience. I'm wondering that if, over time, the ankle shooting off to the side has pinched, and perhaps damaged, my posterial tibial nerve. I'd appreciate hearing from anybody with similar experiences.

Re: biomechanical instability of the foot and ankle

Leslie on 12/18/02 at 15:26 (103499)

Good question Carl... Before I fell (about 10 years ago), I had about 6 sprained ankles. I would assume that it, along with my fall has contributed to my weak ankles and now tts. My ankle does protrude a bit, but I have some built up scar tissue that is casuing this - which they will hopefully be taking out upon surgery (12/23). I use to do alot of snow skiing, running, hiking, and water skiing resulting in many a fractured ankle and sprain. I guess this is the price we pay for being so active and somewhat frivilous in our youth. Hope all goes well with you.

Leslie

Carl on 12/18/02 at 15:34 (103500)

Thanks for your thoughts Leslie. I too have been very active in outdoor sports, but never have had broken ankles or even what I would consider sprained ankles. I have done a lot of snowboarding and have also wondered if the pressure put on the ankles in that sport have contributed to my TTS.
Good luck with the surgery. I'll look for your posts post-surgery :)

eileenc on 12/23/02 at 08:37 (103830)

A minimal sprain developed into TTS for me. I too was very athletically active. My surgery to clear out the scar tissue was very unsuccessful --- resulting in even more scar tissue.
A few years later (after developing back problems) I went to a Dr. who gives prolotherapy. He said that this procedure ( which is supposed to strengthen tendons) is something that he has used for ankles successfully. Wish I had met him before all the scar tissue.

Leslie on 12/18/02 at 15:26 (103499)

Good question Carl... Before I fell (about 10 years ago), I had about 6 sprained ankles. I would assume that it, along with my fall has contributed to my weak ankles and now tts. My ankle does protrude a bit, but I have some built up scar tissue that is casuing this - which they will hopefully be taking out upon surgery (12/23). I use to do alot of snow skiing, running, hiking, and water skiing resulting in many a fractured ankle and sprain. I guess this is the price we pay for being so active and somewhat frivilous in our youth. Hope all goes well with you.

Leslie

Carl on 12/18/02 at 15:34 (103500)

Thanks for your thoughts Leslie. I too have been very active in outdoor sports, but never have had broken ankles or even what I would consider sprained ankles. I have done a lot of snowboarding and have also wondered if the pressure put on the ankles in that sport have contributed to my TTS.
Good luck with the surgery. I'll look for your posts post-surgery :)

eileenc on 12/23/02 at 08:37 (103830)

A minimal sprain developed into TTS for me. I too was very athletically active. My surgery to clear out the scar tissue was very unsuccessful --- resulting in even more scar tissue.
A few years later (after developing back problems) I went to a Dr. who gives prolotherapy. He said that this procedure ( which is supposed to strengthen tendons) is something that he has used for ankles successfully. Wish I had met him before all the scar tissue.