Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recipe of the month club

Posted by Necee on 12/19/02 at 11:13 (103541)

A few weeks back we were discussing recipes, I mentioned a good one for enchiladas, here it is:

Enchilada Chicken Casserole:

4 chicken breast
1 small can chili
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 onion (chopped)
1 small can green chilies (chopped)
1 can Chicken broth
1/2 large box of Velveeta cheese
1 12oz. pkg Corn tortillias

Preheat oven to 400*

Boil chicken breast till cooked, let cool then break the chicken into pieces.
In a large bowl mix together, chili, both soups, onion, green chilies, an broth. Cut cheese into pieces and add to mixture.
Spray a 9x13 pyrex dish with a nonstick cooking spray (Pam, etc.)
Break corn tortillias into bite size pieces, then layer them with the mixture in the pyrex dish. Bake till cheese melts and it's nice and hot.

Enjoy!
Necee

Re: Recipe of the month club

nancy s. on 12/19/02 at 11:22 (103543)

darn. this looks too hard, necee! could you condense it down to five ingredients, five steps, and five minutes for kitchen idiots like myself?
thank you. ;+)

nancy

Sharon W on 12/19/02 at 19:15 (103571)

Necee,

YUM!! Thanks for that! I'll try it soon!

Sharon

Necee on 12/19/02 at 23:38 (103578)

Oh come on now Nancy, it's quick and simple. You can do it, I just know you can.

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 12/20/02 at 08:34 (103586)

I don't really cook much, but really, Nancy, it doesn't look that hard even for me and it looks fairly fast to prepare. I think I could cook it and I am tempted to try! But I probably won't because I live alone, and I would end up with a lot more chicken enchiladas than one person ought to eat. Although a lot of people probably do it, I'm a little leery about freezing left over chicken dishes because of the potential for salmonella with chicken.

Cooking for one is quite an art and I am getting better at it, although more often than not I just rely on Lean Cuisine or Subway. My rule of thumb for cooking at home is that it shouldn't take longer to cook it than to eat it, and any leftovers should freeze easily and warm up nicely in the microwave. Even better is the dish which has no leftovers.

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/20/02 at 08:51 (103587)

necee and carole, i am simply a big wimp in the kitchen, untalented, and possibly lazy to boot. (only in that room do i get lazy, though!) but mostly it's fear of failure, and i do have experience to back that up. just one of many examples: the first cake i ever made exploded in the oven, shocked me and a few others, and made a huge mess. it remained my first and only cake.

i admire you cooks, and more power to you!

nancy

john h on 12/20/02 at 10:10 (103600)

Nancy: When I first married Mary we immediately moved to Lubbock, Texas into a tiny apartment. Her very first meal she cooked was a roast. It was as hard as a basball and dry as the west Texas air. I laughed and in jest threw it against the front door. It cracked the wood needless to say.

Necee on 12/20/02 at 11:38 (103610)

How funny John! That would have been a good one for the I Love Lucy Show.
You haven't died from her cooking after all those years, so she must be doing something right.

Happy trails...

Necee

Re: Now, for those of us who are dieting.......

Necee on 12/20/02 at 12:35 (103614)

Do any of you have some good recipes, without lots if fat and calories?
I'm dieting, and always looking for other things to eat besides TUNA!!

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 12/20/02 at 13:53 (103621)

Thanks for the compliment! I never thought of myself as that much of a cook. Necee's recipe is 'my kind of recipe', because it has a lot of canned stuff that will keep on my shelf until I need it.

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/20/02 at 14:37 (103628)

Carole--

I got two cookbooks for Christmas this year that I found at Sam's Club in nice spiral-bound editions (I've seen them elsewhere for a little more but without the spiral binding). They're the 'Fix it and Forget it' cookbooks and they're for slow-cookers. I got one of those a few years ago and have never figured out how to really make good use of it, so I'm hoping these cookbooks will help. Most of the recipes in the books don't have many ingredients, and there's not much to do other than put the stuff in the cooker and let it go!

nancy s. on 12/20/02 at 17:34 (103648)

john! you threw mary's roast against the front door??? no wonder she's made you do all the housework ever since. that poor woman.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 12/20/02 at 18:28 (103655)

Sounds great, Nancy! Like everything else, all my cookbooks went with my ex during my divorce. So, right now all I have are weightwatchers cookbooks. Maybe that's just as well. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/20/02 at 18:35 (103656)

Here's a recipe for a cheese soup that is only 1 weight watchers point for a whole cup. This recipe has absolutely saved me when I want a snack.

Cheese Soup

1 lb. bag of frozen mixed vegegables
3 cans fat free chicken broth
2 cans mild Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
10 oz. light Velveeta Cheese

Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil. Simmer 45 minutes. Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until cheese melts.

Freeze in 1-cup portions in Gladware. Then microwave to warm it up when you are hungry!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/20/02 at 18:36 (103657)

Or maybe it was 2 lbs of frozen mixed vegetables? You might want to play around with quantities a little.

Carole C

Necee on 12/23/02 at 23:56 (103883)

Thanks Carole, this sounds really good. I'll certainly give it a try.

Happy trails....

Necee

nancy s. on 12/19/02 at 11:22 (103543)

darn. this looks too hard, necee! could you condense it down to five ingredients, five steps, and five minutes for kitchen idiots like myself?
thank you. ;+)

nancy

Sharon W on 12/19/02 at 19:15 (103571)

Necee,

YUM!! Thanks for that! I'll try it soon!

Sharon

Necee on 12/19/02 at 23:38 (103578)

Oh come on now Nancy, it's quick and simple. You can do it, I just know you can.

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 12/20/02 at 08:34 (103586)

I don't really cook much, but really, Nancy, it doesn't look that hard even for me and it looks fairly fast to prepare. I think I could cook it and I am tempted to try! But I probably won't because I live alone, and I would end up with a lot more chicken enchiladas than one person ought to eat. Although a lot of people probably do it, I'm a little leery about freezing left over chicken dishes because of the potential for salmonella with chicken.

Cooking for one is quite an art and I am getting better at it, although more often than not I just rely on Lean Cuisine or Subway. My rule of thumb for cooking at home is that it shouldn't take longer to cook it than to eat it, and any leftovers should freeze easily and warm up nicely in the microwave. Even better is the dish which has no leftovers.

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/20/02 at 08:51 (103587)

necee and carole, i am simply a big wimp in the kitchen, untalented, and possibly lazy to boot. (only in that room do i get lazy, though!) but mostly it's fear of failure, and i do have experience to back that up. just one of many examples: the first cake i ever made exploded in the oven, shocked me and a few others, and made a huge mess. it remained my first and only cake.

i admire you cooks, and more power to you!

nancy

john h on 12/20/02 at 10:10 (103600)

Nancy: When I first married Mary we immediately moved to Lubbock, Texas into a tiny apartment. Her very first meal she cooked was a roast. It was as hard as a basball and dry as the west Texas air. I laughed and in jest threw it against the front door. It cracked the wood needless to say.

Necee on 12/20/02 at 11:38 (103610)

How funny John! That would have been a good one for the I Love Lucy Show.
You haven't died from her cooking after all those years, so she must be doing something right.

Happy trails...

Necee

Necee on 12/20/02 at 12:35 (103614)

Do any of you have some good recipes, without lots if fat and calories?
I'm dieting, and always looking for other things to eat besides TUNA!!

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 12/20/02 at 13:53 (103621)

Thanks for the compliment! I never thought of myself as that much of a cook. Necee's recipe is 'my kind of recipe', because it has a lot of canned stuff that will keep on my shelf until I need it.

Carole C

Nancy N on 12/20/02 at 14:37 (103628)

Carole--

I got two cookbooks for Christmas this year that I found at Sam's Club in nice spiral-bound editions (I've seen them elsewhere for a little more but without the spiral binding). They're the 'Fix it and Forget it' cookbooks and they're for slow-cookers. I got one of those a few years ago and have never figured out how to really make good use of it, so I'm hoping these cookbooks will help. Most of the recipes in the books don't have many ingredients, and there's not much to do other than put the stuff in the cooker and let it go!

nancy s. on 12/20/02 at 17:34 (103648)

john! you threw mary's roast against the front door??? no wonder she's made you do all the housework ever since. that poor woman.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 12/20/02 at 18:28 (103655)

Sounds great, Nancy! Like everything else, all my cookbooks went with my ex during my divorce. So, right now all I have are weightwatchers cookbooks. Maybe that's just as well. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/20/02 at 18:35 (103656)

Here's a recipe for a cheese soup that is only 1 weight watchers point for a whole cup. This recipe has absolutely saved me when I want a snack.

Cheese Soup

1 lb. bag of frozen mixed vegegables
3 cans fat free chicken broth
2 cans mild Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
10 oz. light Velveeta Cheese

Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil. Simmer 45 minutes. Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until cheese melts.

Freeze in 1-cup portions in Gladware. Then microwave to warm it up when you are hungry!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/20/02 at 18:36 (103657)

Or maybe it was 2 lbs of frozen mixed vegetables? You might want to play around with quantities a little.

Carole C

Necee on 12/23/02 at 23:56 (103883)

Thanks Carole, this sounds really good. I'll certainly give it a try.

Happy trails....

Necee