Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

help with tts

Posted by cindy c on 12/20/02 at 09:30 (103589)

Hi, I am a wildlife biologist who spent years walking through cold creeks with lots of weight on my back. I now carry a two year old on my back while i hike trails. My feet hurt so bad after hiking. They are always tingling and sometimes burn. If i jog the outside of my right foot hurts so bad I have to limp. I had surgery on my lower back 15 years ago. As long as I do yoga everyday my back is fine. I had a negative nerve conductivity test, mri (of my back) and xray (of my back). I have seen podiatrists, nuerologists, chiropractors... All of my symptoms point to tts, which is a relief because one doc. thought it could be ms. I am going for orthotics today, getting a foot spa, and resting my feet. What else would anyone recommend? Any other tests I should do. Any ideas relieving cold feet? Thank god for this website. I thought I was going crazy! Everyone treated me like I was making this up. Many thanks to anyone who replies. Cindy C

Re: help with tts

dave r on 12/20/02 at 13:21 (103615)

What types of symptoms do you have?
TTS and Plantar Fasciitis go hand in hand. If you have bad pf then you will get tingling sensations. If you have bad tts you will have severe
pain. Is your pain all over the bottoms of your feet? Do you have morning pain? Does your pain increase as the day goes on? Do you get nerve type sensations in your toes or around your ankles? Has a nuerologist giving you a nerve conduction veloscity test for the nerves in your feet? If you have tts then this test would 'probably' come up postive.

wendyn on 12/20/02 at 13:37 (103617)

Cindy - please consider NOT carrying the 2 year old on your back for walks. Extra weight will make this worse. The orthotics may or may not help. Avoid going barefoot - you may want to try birkenstock sandals for walking (no pressure on your inner ankles). Consider not jogging (at least for a while).

Can you tell me more about your cold feet...you mention that they burn, but then you talk about relieving cold feet. Are you going from too hot to too cold?

cindy c on 12/20/02 at 13:46 (103619)

Hi, I have tingling on the balls of my feet all the time and needles/burning sensations on the balls of my feet after I stand or walk. They hurt very bad after walking/hiking, esp. at night. Sometimes I cannot sleep. When I used to jog I would get terrible pains in the outside of my right foot while I was running. I have morning tingling sensations that get worse as the day goes on. I do not have any problems with my toes but I do have nerve sentations around the inside of my ankle. I had a nerve conduction test by a nuerologist that was negative, Cindy

Julie on 12/20/02 at 15:22 (103633)

This does sound nerve-related. Remember that a negative test does not necessarily mean that there is nothing going on.

Until you know what is wrong, and have a treatment plan in place, walk less. And please follow Wendy's advice and stop carrying - walking with a weight on your back has got to make matters worse. Indeed, whatever intensifies the pain is probably making the condition worse.

Birkenstocks are a good idea, and when you do have to walk, you might also find an elastic ankle support helpful.

Sharon W on 12/22/02 at 09:16 (103730)

Dear Cindy,

I'm glad you've found this website; noone should have to face TTS alone, or surrounded by people who treat them like they're making it all up. (Believe me, you are certainly NOT the only one to have had that feeling!)

Your symptoms do sound 'nervy'. Sometimes TTS can be caused by something IN your tarsal tunnel, putting pressure on the nerve. To find out if that's the case, you should ask for an MRI of the ankle/foot (you said you'd had one done on your back, so you know what to expect) or for a diagnostic ultrasound of the foot.

You mentioned having a negative nerve conduction velocity (NCV) test. Did you also have an EMG (electromyogram)? By the way, it IS true -- some experts have said that as many and 50% of people with TTS do NOT show any abnormalities on an NCV test.

I have TTS too. Here are a couple of strategies/treatments which worked for me, things you can do on your own: Icing my arch and ankle for 20 minutes at a time (while wearing a thick sock) helped me to relieve pain and swelling. Another thing that helped me was rubbing an anti-inflammatory cream on my ankle and arch. (I believe ibuprofen cream is available through this website, and should show up as a link.)

You didn't mention taking any medications or pain-killers. If it doesn't upset your stomach, you might try using ibuprofen or alleve. (Swelling does usually make TTS worse.) If the NSAIDs seem to help but are too much for your stomach, try asking your Dr. for a prescription to take Celebrex, Vioxx, or Bextra. And a drug called Neurtontin is taken by many people with TTS; it's actually an anti-seizure medication, but a common off-label use for it is to relieve nerve pain. (I take Neurontin, myself, and it really helps ME.)

Hope this helps. And, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Sharon

Re: Sorry -- I couldn't edit this

Sharon W on 12/22/02 at 09:23 (103731)

Cindy,

The name of that drug is 'Neurontin,' NOT 'Neurtonin'.

ScottR, I was unable to use the edit function to fix that mistake; I don't know why.

Sharon

Scott R on 12/22/02 at 10:59 (103748)

it looks like it worked to me. maybe you didn't click 'refresh'.

cindy c on 12/23/02 at 12:02 (103848)

Hi, many thanks for your email. I will get an MRI. I did not get an EMG; at least I do not think I did. I had needles put into my legs and feet? My nuerologist is not the easiest guy to talk too... Thanks again, cindy

Re: For Cindy C: EMG/NCV

Sharon W on 12/23/02 at 13:40 (103849)

The needles into the legs and feet is the EMG. The part where they run an electrical current from electrode to electrode is the NCV. (You probably had both.)

Good luck, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Sharon

dave r on 12/20/02 at 13:21 (103615)

What types of symptoms do you have?
TTS and Plantar Fasciitis go hand in hand. If you have bad pf then you will get tingling sensations. If you have bad tts you will have severe
pain. Is your pain all over the bottoms of your feet? Do you have morning pain? Does your pain increase as the day goes on? Do you get nerve type sensations in your toes or around your ankles? Has a nuerologist giving you a nerve conduction veloscity test for the nerves in your feet? If you have tts then this test would 'probably' come up postive.

wendyn on 12/20/02 at 13:37 (103617)

Cindy - please consider NOT carrying the 2 year old on your back for walks. Extra weight will make this worse. The orthotics may or may not help. Avoid going barefoot - you may want to try birkenstock sandals for walking (no pressure on your inner ankles). Consider not jogging (at least for a while).

Can you tell me more about your cold feet...you mention that they burn, but then you talk about relieving cold feet. Are you going from too hot to too cold?

cindy c on 12/20/02 at 13:46 (103619)

Hi, I have tingling on the balls of my feet all the time and needles/burning sensations on the balls of my feet after I stand or walk. They hurt very bad after walking/hiking, esp. at night. Sometimes I cannot sleep. When I used to jog I would get terrible pains in the outside of my right foot while I was running. I have morning tingling sensations that get worse as the day goes on. I do not have any problems with my toes but I do have nerve sentations around the inside of my ankle. I had a nerve conduction test by a nuerologist that was negative, Cindy

Julie on 12/20/02 at 15:22 (103633)

This does sound nerve-related. Remember that a negative test does not necessarily mean that there is nothing going on.

Until you know what is wrong, and have a treatment plan in place, walk less. And please follow Wendy's advice and stop carrying - walking with a weight on your back has got to make matters worse. Indeed, whatever intensifies the pain is probably making the condition worse.

Birkenstocks are a good idea, and when you do have to walk, you might also find an elastic ankle support helpful.

Sharon W on 12/22/02 at 09:16 (103730)

Dear Cindy,

I'm glad you've found this website; noone should have to face TTS alone, or surrounded by people who treat them like they're making it all up. (Believe me, you are certainly NOT the only one to have had that feeling!)

Your symptoms do sound 'nervy'. Sometimes TTS can be caused by something IN your tarsal tunnel, putting pressure on the nerve. To find out if that's the case, you should ask for an MRI of the ankle/foot (you said you'd had one done on your back, so you know what to expect) or for a diagnostic ultrasound of the foot.

You mentioned having a negative nerve conduction velocity (NCV) test. Did you also have an EMG (electromyogram)? By the way, it IS true -- some experts have said that as many and 50% of people with TTS do NOT show any abnormalities on an NCV test.

I have TTS too. Here are a couple of strategies/treatments which worked for me, things you can do on your own: Icing my arch and ankle for 20 minutes at a time (while wearing a thick sock) helped me to relieve pain and swelling. Another thing that helped me was rubbing an anti-inflammatory cream on my ankle and arch. (I believe ibuprofen cream is available through this website, and should show up as a link.)

You didn't mention taking any medications or pain-killers. If it doesn't upset your stomach, you might try using ibuprofen or alleve. (Swelling does usually make TTS worse.) If the NSAIDs seem to help but are too much for your stomach, try asking your Dr. for a prescription to take Celebrex, Vioxx, or Bextra. And a drug called Neurtontin is taken by many people with TTS; it's actually an anti-seizure medication, but a common off-label use for it is to relieve nerve pain. (I take Neurontin, myself, and it really helps ME.)

Hope this helps. And, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Sharon

Sharon W on 12/22/02 at 09:23 (103731)

Cindy,

The name of that drug is 'Neurontin,' NOT 'Neurtonin'.

ScottR, I was unable to use the edit function to fix that mistake; I don't know why.

Sharon

Scott R on 12/22/02 at 10:59 (103748)

it looks like it worked to me. maybe you didn't click 'refresh'.

cindy c on 12/23/02 at 12:02 (103848)

Hi, many thanks for your email. I will get an MRI. I did not get an EMG; at least I do not think I did. I had needles put into my legs and feet? My nuerologist is not the easiest guy to talk too... Thanks again, cindy

Re: For Cindy C: EMG/NCV

Sharon W on 12/23/02 at 13:40 (103849)

The needles into the legs and feet is the EMG. The part where they run an electrical current from electrode to electrode is the NCV. (You probably had both.)

Good luck, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Sharon