Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Please help me

Posted by Dana C on 12/20/02 at 16:41 (103640)

I had PF surgery and a heel spur removed September 9. Plus I had 3 toes released. Since Sunday I have had excrutiating pain in my foot. I went to my family doctor tonight and he ordered xrays. The xrays showed another heel spur. I am at a loss here as what to do. I made another appt to see the surgeon who operated on me in Sept. My foot hurts so bad all the time. It hurts worse now than it did before I had surgery. Please help me decide what to do.
Thank you
Dana

Re: Please help me

Dr. David S. Wander on 12/20/02 at 19:46 (103666)

First, don't let anyone else perform any surgery on your foot, until ALL conservative options have been exhausted. Most physicians release the plantar fascia, and do not remove the spur, since it is pretty well agreed upon that the spur rarely causes the pain. That may be why the spur is still present on the x-ray. With all due respect to your family doctor, you should be seeing the surgeon for follow up. He/she must determine why you're having so much pain and must come up with a treatment plan. No one on this site can give you treatment advice until you've obtained a diagnosis. Get to the surgeon soon and good luck.

Dana C on 12/20/02 at 20:25 (103668)

Thank you very much for your reply. It is greatly appreciated. I went to my surgeon for a follow up on my foot surgery Tuesday Dec 17. He said I sprained my foot therefore that is why all the pain and said he wanted to see me again Jan 7. He also said that this pain will go away on it's own. It hurt so bad yesterday I ended up going to the ER. Another reason for me going to the ER is I can hardly walk and the pain even goes up my leg, keeps me awake at night, and feels like knives going through my foot with radiating pain. The ER doctor there gave me a perscription for Neurontin and a diaginosis of RSD and told me to follow up with my family doctor which I did today. She ordered the xrays to rule out a bone infection. She also put STAT on xrays to get results right away and to wait in the office of Xray and she would call me there to give me the results. My family doctor said that is probably why all the pain in my foot is because of the heel spur and she didn't think it is RSD after all. I called the surgeons office when I got home today and they can't fit me in any sooner than Jan 7.I am so confused here. Thank you again for your reply.
Dana

wendyn on 12/20/02 at 20:51 (103669)

I am not a doctor. I have never heard of a heelspur causing radiating pain in the leg. Stick with the ER doctor.

Re: Call a Pain Management Center for Help

Pam B on 12/21/02 at 20:48 (103715)

You need to stick to the ER doc and maybe even go back and ask if he can recommend a good doc for you to see.....I have just been diagnosed recently with RSD and can tell you alot of what your describing is what I feel.....it took me four docs to get to where I had to go which was a pain management clinic for treatment......this disease is very misunderstood by many docs.....I am not saying you have it, but I am saying it sounds like you have many of the symptoms......is the neruontin helping you at all? that medication can be taken in as much as 2700 mgs per day to provide relief....I am taking 1500 a day now and my docs are upping my dose 300 mgs every three days....please, find yourself a good doc that will hear you when you talk....it is so important that if you have this you get treatment as early as possible so if it is, it can hopefully be able to be put under control and you will feel better......nerve blocks can provide much relief also....if you have a pain clinic in your area that employs anethesiolgist's......call them, they can provide you with the name of a good orthopedic doc or neruologist to guide you....dont wait, call now...and dont stop trying to get relief until a good doc voiced in nerve problems hears you and examines you.....good luck to you and keep us posted......Happy Holidays :)

Dr. Z on 12/21/02 at 23:00 (103721)

At this post-op operative healing time frame there would be x-ray changes but your doctor must order comparative x-ray which means x-ray of the opposite foot.

I will also be on the look out for DVT. If there is any pain and or swelling of any kind in the foot and or calf/ankle an ultrasound of the
let should be ordered. If this is RDS there would be color changes maybe,
temp changes and more important pain that is just out of portion to what you should be having.

You have had a lot of foot surgery and this could also be just too much being on your feet. Have you been on your feet alot.
Usually with RSD casting and rest make the pain worse. Just taking neurotin isn't the answer. Finding out a diagnosis is a must because if your do have RSD and it isn't treated correctly you can end of with a life time of chronic foot pain.

I wish I could examine you but this is all I can do . Remember if you don't feet right go back and back until the reason for this pain is found
Keep in touch and ask us questions.

Dana C on 12/27/02 at 04:05 (104086)

Thank you for your responses everyone. I am still having a great deal of pain in my left foot. I am still on the neurton. which seesm to take the edge off for a few hours. I go to see my family doc the 2nd then back to the surgeon the 7th. Yes I am on my feet all day at work for at least 9 hours. Concrete floors, steel toes and 2 15 minute breaks a day. I get home at night and am flat on the couch. The swelling has subsided some but thankfully I was able to rest it the 2 days I had off at Christmas. It still isn't right and I don't know why I am having so much pain. Sometimes the pain just shoots through my foot and it hurts so bad. I am glad I found this board at least now I know the pain isn't all in my head..
Thank you
Dana

Pam B on 12/27/02 at 07:21 (104087)

You need to be off your feet, those concrete floors will make you wish you didnt have feet.......I can empathize with you for sure........I too am on neurontin.......I am up to 1800mgs per day and working twords 2700.......they are awful gettin used to......man, I am so dizzy and tired and uncordinated........I hate them and you are only on what my doc said is a baby dose.......I started on 300mgs two weeks or so ago and am increasing them every three days.......I hope your family doc refers you to a good foot and ankle ortho......I have a good one that sent me to pain management......and I am getting some relief finally......short lived relief but none the less releif........good luck and keep us posted :)

dave r on 12/27/02 at 10:50 (104103)

Concrete floors is what did me in! I was working on concrete for 15 years. 12 hours a day. I can tell you that is what caused my pf and now its 6 years later and i can hardly walk. listen to your feet and start treating this now!. you must be proactive in treating this. If you waste time thinking that it will go away then you could lead yourself to a long recovery.

Dr. David S. Wander on 12/20/02 at 19:46 (103666)

First, don't let anyone else perform any surgery on your foot, until ALL conservative options have been exhausted. Most physicians release the plantar fascia, and do not remove the spur, since it is pretty well agreed upon that the spur rarely causes the pain. That may be why the spur is still present on the x-ray. With all due respect to your family doctor, you should be seeing the surgeon for follow up. He/she must determine why you're having so much pain and must come up with a treatment plan. No one on this site can give you treatment advice until you've obtained a diagnosis. Get to the surgeon soon and good luck.

Dana C on 12/20/02 at 20:25 (103668)

Thank you very much for your reply. It is greatly appreciated. I went to my surgeon for a follow up on my foot surgery Tuesday Dec 17. He said I sprained my foot therefore that is why all the pain and said he wanted to see me again Jan 7. He also said that this pain will go away on it's own. It hurt so bad yesterday I ended up going to the ER. Another reason for me going to the ER is I can hardly walk and the pain even goes up my leg, keeps me awake at night, and feels like knives going through my foot with radiating pain. The ER doctor there gave me a perscription for Neurontin and a diaginosis of RSD and told me to follow up with my family doctor which I did today. She ordered the xrays to rule out a bone infection. She also put STAT on xrays to get results right away and to wait in the office of Xray and she would call me there to give me the results. My family doctor said that is probably why all the pain in my foot is because of the heel spur and she didn't think it is RSD after all. I called the surgeons office when I got home today and they can't fit me in any sooner than Jan 7.I am so confused here. Thank you again for your reply.
Dana

wendyn on 12/20/02 at 20:51 (103669)

I am not a doctor. I have never heard of a heelspur causing radiating pain in the leg. Stick with the ER doctor.

Pam B on 12/21/02 at 20:48 (103715)

You need to stick to the ER doc and maybe even go back and ask if he can recommend a good doc for you to see.....I have just been diagnosed recently with RSD and can tell you alot of what your describing is what I feel.....it took me four docs to get to where I had to go which was a pain management clinic for treatment......this disease is very misunderstood by many docs.....I am not saying you have it, but I am saying it sounds like you have many of the symptoms......is the neruontin helping you at all? that medication can be taken in as much as 2700 mgs per day to provide relief....I am taking 1500 a day now and my docs are upping my dose 300 mgs every three days....please, find yourself a good doc that will hear you when you talk....it is so important that if you have this you get treatment as early as possible so if it is, it can hopefully be able to be put under control and you will feel better......nerve blocks can provide much relief also....if you have a pain clinic in your area that employs anethesiolgist's......call them, they can provide you with the name of a good orthopedic doc or neruologist to guide you....dont wait, call now...and dont stop trying to get relief until a good doc voiced in nerve problems hears you and examines you.....good luck to you and keep us posted......Happy Holidays :)

Dr. Z on 12/21/02 at 23:00 (103721)

At this post-op operative healing time frame there would be x-ray changes but your doctor must order comparative x-ray which means x-ray of the opposite foot.

I will also be on the look out for DVT. If there is any pain and or swelling of any kind in the foot and or calf/ankle an ultrasound of the
let should be ordered. If this is RDS there would be color changes maybe,
temp changes and more important pain that is just out of portion to what you should be having.

You have had a lot of foot surgery and this could also be just too much being on your feet. Have you been on your feet alot.
Usually with RSD casting and rest make the pain worse. Just taking neurotin isn't the answer. Finding out a diagnosis is a must because if your do have RSD and it isn't treated correctly you can end of with a life time of chronic foot pain.

I wish I could examine you but this is all I can do . Remember if you don't feet right go back and back until the reason for this pain is found
Keep in touch and ask us questions.

Dana C on 12/27/02 at 04:05 (104086)

Thank you for your responses everyone. I am still having a great deal of pain in my left foot. I am still on the neurton. which seesm to take the edge off for a few hours. I go to see my family doc the 2nd then back to the surgeon the 7th. Yes I am on my feet all day at work for at least 9 hours. Concrete floors, steel toes and 2 15 minute breaks a day. I get home at night and am flat on the couch. The swelling has subsided some but thankfully I was able to rest it the 2 days I had off at Christmas. It still isn't right and I don't know why I am having so much pain. Sometimes the pain just shoots through my foot and it hurts so bad. I am glad I found this board at least now I know the pain isn't all in my head..
Thank you
Dana

Pam B on 12/27/02 at 07:21 (104087)

You need to be off your feet, those concrete floors will make you wish you didnt have feet.......I can empathize with you for sure........I too am on neurontin.......I am up to 1800mgs per day and working twords 2700.......they are awful gettin used to......man, I am so dizzy and tired and uncordinated........I hate them and you are only on what my doc said is a baby dose.......I started on 300mgs two weeks or so ago and am increasing them every three days.......I hope your family doc refers you to a good foot and ankle ortho......I have a good one that sent me to pain management......and I am getting some relief finally......short lived relief but none the less releif........good luck and keep us posted :)

dave r on 12/27/02 at 10:50 (104103)

Concrete floors is what did me in! I was working on concrete for 15 years. 12 hours a day. I can tell you that is what caused my pf and now its 6 years later and i can hardly walk. listen to your feet and start treating this now!. you must be proactive in treating this. If you waste time thinking that it will go away then you could lead yourself to a long recovery.