Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Neuroma vs. Capsulitis or Other Problem

Posted by Kathryn B. on 12/22/02 at 20:24 (103792)

I am still waiting for a chance for an MRI for a more definite diagnosis, but I have noticed one thing about my feet and wondered if it means anything. The first part of each toe on both feet (between the joint at the end of the foot and the next joint) on the top is red like a sunburn. Though not terribly red like a highly inflammed area. Then the rest of my toes are very white and my forefoot before those joints is white. Whiter than is normal for me. When I first started having problems in the summer, I thought it might be sun and a sandal band, but this in December does not seem to be so. Also, I am having less ball of foot pain but bands of tightness with pain across the tops of my feet. Just thought I would ask if any of the Doctors think any of this gives any clue. Thank you all for offering your help on the message board, and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas!!

Re: Neuroma vs. Capsulitis or Other Problem

Dr. Z on 12/22/02 at 20:30 (103793)

This could be a vascular problem like raynauds syndrome. You need that MRI

Kathryn B on 12/23/02 at 11:35 (103845)

Yes, that was something I was wondering about. I have an appointment with my primary care physician this afternoon and will be asking for an MRI. I will point out what I have noticed. Thank you again for your time!! And Merry Christmas, Dr. Z!!!

Kathryn B. on 12/23/02 at 19:48 (103869)

Well, my primary care doctor had the flu today, and I can't get back in until mid-January. But one thing concerns me...my last podiatrist said that he felt that no one in my area was skilled at reading MRIs or ultrasound tests of the feet. Is this that big of a problem in many locales? Do you have any suggestions for getting a solid interpretation of such test results? That is one reason I didn't push for an MRI all along. I have a referal to a rheumatologist, so maybe he can get me started on checking out a vascular cause and I can look farther into that. The redness stays constant...there is no changing in that one area to white or blue...just the white above and below. The red is right over the first joint of every toe and never changes. I just felt discouraged about the likelihood of getting a good reading. Any suggestions? I don't mean to be a pest, but my problem started during a very, very stressful week, and I have read that conditions like Raynaud's can be triggered by stress. I first started with severe foot cramping, then developed pain. The pain is discomfort early in the day/ actual pain by about 3 in the afternoon. The severe cramping stopped after a few weeks, but I feel that I have micro-cramping all of the time. I have less pain now in the actual ball of my foot (the start) and more pain in bands across the top. I seem to have everyone here baffled, so I am trying to use message boards too and appreciate all of the help. I just want to know if there are places to send scans to for better readings? Can my local doctors consult with anyone elsewhere. Thanks again. I promise I will try to leave this board to the others awhile.

Dr. Z on 12/22/02 at 20:30 (103793)

This could be a vascular problem like raynauds syndrome. You need that MRI

Kathryn B on 12/23/02 at 11:35 (103845)

Yes, that was something I was wondering about. I have an appointment with my primary care physician this afternoon and will be asking for an MRI. I will point out what I have noticed. Thank you again for your time!! And Merry Christmas, Dr. Z!!!

Kathryn B. on 12/23/02 at 19:48 (103869)

Well, my primary care doctor had the flu today, and I can't get back in until mid-January. But one thing concerns me...my last podiatrist said that he felt that no one in my area was skilled at reading MRIs or ultrasound tests of the feet. Is this that big of a problem in many locales? Do you have any suggestions for getting a solid interpretation of such test results? That is one reason I didn't push for an MRI all along. I have a referal to a rheumatologist, so maybe he can get me started on checking out a vascular cause and I can look farther into that. The redness stays constant...there is no changing in that one area to white or blue...just the white above and below. The red is right over the first joint of every toe and never changes. I just felt discouraged about the likelihood of getting a good reading. Any suggestions? I don't mean to be a pest, but my problem started during a very, very stressful week, and I have read that conditions like Raynaud's can be triggered by stress. I first started with severe foot cramping, then developed pain. The pain is discomfort early in the day/ actual pain by about 3 in the afternoon. The severe cramping stopped after a few weeks, but I feel that I have micro-cramping all of the time. I have less pain now in the actual ball of my foot (the start) and more pain in bands across the top. I seem to have everyone here baffled, so I am trying to use message boards too and appreciate all of the help. I just want to know if there are places to send scans to for better readings? Can my local doctors consult with anyone elsewhere. Thanks again. I promise I will try to leave this board to the others awhile.