Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

RE: Oprah

Posted by Mar on 12/24/02 at 17:47 (103942)

If you missed Oprah today, let me share a short story. There were 2 children who suffered from an unknown disease/condition. they became weak and couldn;t walk or feed themselves or hold themselves up. For 6 years they were like this. Their parents finally found a doctor who diagnosed them and within a half hour of taking medicine, they started to improve. Today they are walking and running and enjoying life. the little boy's message was: there is always hope out there -- even the sickest person in the world has the hope of getting better -- don;t ever give up. A very good message for those of us with pain who often wonder if we will ever be painfree. Let's not give up hope, especially as we celebrate the greatest gift of hope on Christmas. Merry Christmas to all -- Mar

Re: RE: Oprah

kay on 12/25/02 at 15:13 (103984)

i saw the previews of that show and wanted to watch it but forgot. do you know what the kids illness was?
kat

Mar on 12/25/02 at 19:18 (103992)

It is dystonia -- here is a website about it --

http://www.dystonia-foundation.org/news.asp?id=84

Also -- check oprah.com for info on yesterday's show. Mar

nancy s. on 12/25/02 at 22:40 (104004)

i saw some of that show, mar. the illness those kids had was just awful, but then their recovery and their discovery of a more 'normal' life were really uplifting. wasn't the boy an inspiration? he kept shaking his head in disbelief at his own recovery; he looked as though he'll feel extra grateful for the rest of his life, and what a feeling. yes, and there he was, just a kid, speaking to the world in general, saying 'no matter how bad your illness is, there's always a little bit of hope,' and asking people to never give up. he's an extraordinary kid.

nancy

Mahatmelissama on 12/30/02 at 11:19 (104293)

very very touching. I looked at the link. That kid is really special.

kay on 12/25/02 at 15:13 (103984)

i saw the previews of that show and wanted to watch it but forgot. do you know what the kids illness was?
kat

Mar on 12/25/02 at 19:18 (103992)

It is dystonia -- here is a website about it --

http://www.dystonia-foundation.org/news.asp?id=84

Also -- check oprah.com for info on yesterday's show. Mar

nancy s. on 12/25/02 at 22:40 (104004)

i saw some of that show, mar. the illness those kids had was just awful, but then their recovery and their discovery of a more 'normal' life were really uplifting. wasn't the boy an inspiration? he kept shaking his head in disbelief at his own recovery; he looked as though he'll feel extra grateful for the rest of his life, and what a feeling. yes, and there he was, just a kid, speaking to the world in general, saying 'no matter how bad your illness is, there's always a little bit of hope,' and asking people to never give up. he's an extraordinary kid.

nancy

Mahatmelissama on 12/30/02 at 11:19 (104293)

very very touching. I looked at the link. That kid is really special.