Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF & TTS

Posted by Marty on 12/25/02 at 09:26 (103969)

Has anyone ever heard of having both surgeries done at the same time? I have been to 4 pod's over the past 5 years done it all. Orthotics, shots, Neurontin etc. No improvement. Want it all over with at once!

Marty

Re: PF & TTS

Sharon W on 12/25/02 at 10:14 (103973)

Yes, it is not uncommon for surgeons to do both procedures at the same time. People are not always happy with the results.

Sharon

Re: PF & TTS -

Lara T on 12/25/02 at 13:01 (103980)

I hesitate to ask this, as I know how frustrating it is to keep hoping something will work and being disappointed, yet again, and needing it to be over now (that's how my friend felt during labor and she got up to go home - the doctors stopped her). A list was created on this board a few months ago of all possible treatments (the writer had seen mentioned, it's probably not complete either). There are a couple dozen things and I know it's possible to try lots of things, and not have hit on the right thing yet. From your list, I see some things missing that I know have worked for me or others. Of course, you probabably haven't listed everything you've done, and nothing on the list will get it all over with at once (although the compression socks gave me hope within days, perhaps hours, I can't remember anymore). If you are still interested in avoiding surgery, I wonder if it's worth a try to check off each of the things that looks reasonable - if you haven't already. I know sometimes psychologically it's hard to keep trying new things -people need a rest from disappointment. Been there done that. So I just offer this for thoughts on a day when you have a second wind.

You have my sympathy and I hope something works soon for you!

Re: P.S. HOw you one tell if you have both

Lara T on 12/25/02 at 13:03 (103981)

P.S. How do they know you have PF & TTS. I'm curious because I was diagnosed with PF for a few years before I got to someone who knew TTS. (I have since had a NCV which confirmed TTS). Since then I've wondered if I have PF & TTS, PF caused by TTS, or TTS with symptoms similar to PF. Since I found a treatment that works well enough, it's never been worth it to explore this further (I don't think), but I keep thinking maybe there is something to be learned about treatment if I ever figure this out. However, like I said, sometimes we need a rest from wrestling with our problems, and since I have a treatment that works well enough, I've decided to be less obsessed on the issue - but I still keep my ears pricked up.

john h on 12/26/02 at 09:58 (104019)

Marty I sure would not recommend surgery on both feet at the same time. If you are going for surger do one and see what your results are. No problem doing ESWT on both feet at same time. I did it three times.

Marty on 12/26/02 at 15:09 (104040)

Why?

Marty on 12/26/02 at 15:17 (104041)

I was told that if I don't have them both done at once I would not have it done to the other after going through the surgery. Plus I'm ready to just throw in the towel. Can it be any worse then what I've been going through?

-Marty

Ps. And what if it doesn't work. Nothing has up to this point. And believe me I've done allot.

Marty on 12/26/02 at 15:36 (104044)

Lara T,

I remember you Lara. You've been here a long time. Was you here on this board 5 years ago? Can't remember. Anyway I have done allot and no it's not all that can be done. But.... I don't have many options left that's not going to make me bankrupt. This has been to much on my wife and I can't ask for anything else that's going to take money away from my family. If things don't go well after surgery I will deal with it then. But for me to keep going to her and trying to explain that possibly if I buy this or that I might get better, can't do that anymore. Heck I even was one of the first in on the Jade 168 Balm trail. I haven't been here for a year had to take time off from it all but now I'm ready to deal with surgery. It's success or failure. The only thing is I don't want to come out worse off due to it.

You asked how I know I have both, well do I know for sure no. I do think that one caused the other. And I'm pretty sure the PF 'pain' caused the TTF because of poor orthodics, walking, standing etc.

john h on 12/26/02 at 15:49 (104045)

Marty on occasion some people are made worse by surgery so I would certainly see how the first surgery turned out. With both feet done you could not even use crutches to get around. I really am supprised that Doctors will do both feet at the same time. Before I knew much about PF i posed that question to two different Doctors and both said they would not do both feet at the same time.

BrianG on 12/26/02 at 16:48 (104050)

Hey Marty,

You probably think it can't get much worse, but this forum is chock full of people who found out that YES, it can get much worse. Do a search on Tammie, from last year, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also, who is going to wait on you hand and foot, for at least a month after the surgerys? It could be much longer than a month, it could be three!!!! Even if you get the EPF method, it's still a pretty brutal cut you'll be dealing with. Thats the way I went, and I can tell you, the pain was much worse than the doctor led me to believe it would be. It took me about 4 months just to get back to where I was before the surgery, and my healing was uneventful. No infection or anything like that. After all that, the one foot I had done, never did heal. I personally believe the EPF method is flawed, for the most part.

Why not go to the surgery forum and look back on the history it contains. It's not a pretty story!!!

Good luck
BrianG

Julie on 12/26/02 at 17:04 (104052)

Who told you?

If it was a friend, or any non-medical person, they really don't know what they're talking about.

If it was a doctor, it was - in my opinion - presumptuous as well as stupid.

You need your feet to support you, to walk on. If surgery is done on both at once, you will be non-weightbearing for much longer than if they are done one at a time. Your arms will suffer from using crutches. You will take longer to heal (and may not heal as quickly or as well).

It really is not advisable. Please think.

And yes, it can get worse. You may not think so now - but it can. Read the boards, as Brian suggests.

Marty on 12/26/02 at 19:13 (104060)

Wouldn't the foot that didn't get done get much worse?

Marty on 12/26/02 at 19:18 (104062)

I do belive what your trying to tell me true. There can be problems in anything. I know 2 poeple myself that had surgery and come out with flying colors. Don't get me wrong. I'm just really tierd of this whole thing!

Thanks for advice.

Marty

john h on 12/28/02 at 13:15 (104171)

Marty: You are right. Read all you can and then make your best decision because you are the one who will live with it. Regardless of what you do best of luck.

Sharon W on 12/25/02 at 10:14 (103973)

Yes, it is not uncommon for surgeons to do both procedures at the same time. People are not always happy with the results.

Sharon

Lara T on 12/25/02 at 13:01 (103980)

I hesitate to ask this, as I know how frustrating it is to keep hoping something will work and being disappointed, yet again, and needing it to be over now (that's how my friend felt during labor and she got up to go home - the doctors stopped her). A list was created on this board a few months ago of all possible treatments (the writer had seen mentioned, it's probably not complete either). There are a couple dozen things and I know it's possible to try lots of things, and not have hit on the right thing yet. From your list, I see some things missing that I know have worked for me or others. Of course, you probabably haven't listed everything you've done, and nothing on the list will get it all over with at once (although the compression socks gave me hope within days, perhaps hours, I can't remember anymore). If you are still interested in avoiding surgery, I wonder if it's worth a try to check off each of the things that looks reasonable - if you haven't already. I know sometimes psychologically it's hard to keep trying new things -people need a rest from disappointment. Been there done that. So I just offer this for thoughts on a day when you have a second wind.

You have my sympathy and I hope something works soon for you!

Re: P.S. HOw you one tell if you have both

Lara T on 12/25/02 at 13:03 (103981)

P.S. How do they know you have PF & TTS. I'm curious because I was diagnosed with PF for a few years before I got to someone who knew TTS. (I have since had a NCV which confirmed TTS). Since then I've wondered if I have PF & TTS, PF caused by TTS, or TTS with symptoms similar to PF. Since I found a treatment that works well enough, it's never been worth it to explore this further (I don't think), but I keep thinking maybe there is something to be learned about treatment if I ever figure this out. However, like I said, sometimes we need a rest from wrestling with our problems, and since I have a treatment that works well enough, I've decided to be less obsessed on the issue - but I still keep my ears pricked up.

john h on 12/26/02 at 09:58 (104019)

Marty I sure would not recommend surgery on both feet at the same time. If you are going for surger do one and see what your results are. No problem doing ESWT on both feet at same time. I did it three times.

Marty on 12/26/02 at 15:09 (104040)

Why?

Marty on 12/26/02 at 15:17 (104041)

I was told that if I don't have them both done at once I would not have it done to the other after going through the surgery. Plus I'm ready to just throw in the towel. Can it be any worse then what I've been going through?

-Marty

Ps. And what if it doesn't work. Nothing has up to this point. And believe me I've done allot.

Marty on 12/26/02 at 15:36 (104044)

Lara T,

I remember you Lara. You've been here a long time. Was you here on this board 5 years ago? Can't remember. Anyway I have done allot and no it's not all that can be done. But.... I don't have many options left that's not going to make me bankrupt. This has been to much on my wife and I can't ask for anything else that's going to take money away from my family. If things don't go well after surgery I will deal with it then. But for me to keep going to her and trying to explain that possibly if I buy this or that I might get better, can't do that anymore. Heck I even was one of the first in on the Jade 168 Balm trail. I haven't been here for a year had to take time off from it all but now I'm ready to deal with surgery. It's success or failure. The only thing is I don't want to come out worse off due to it.

You asked how I know I have both, well do I know for sure no. I do think that one caused the other. And I'm pretty sure the PF 'pain' caused the TTF because of poor orthodics, walking, standing etc.

john h on 12/26/02 at 15:49 (104045)

Marty on occasion some people are made worse by surgery so I would certainly see how the first surgery turned out. With both feet done you could not even use crutches to get around. I really am supprised that Doctors will do both feet at the same time. Before I knew much about PF i posed that question to two different Doctors and both said they would not do both feet at the same time.

BrianG on 12/26/02 at 16:48 (104050)

Hey Marty,

You probably think it can't get much worse, but this forum is chock full of people who found out that YES, it can get much worse. Do a search on Tammie, from last year, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also, who is going to wait on you hand and foot, for at least a month after the surgerys? It could be much longer than a month, it could be three!!!! Even if you get the EPF method, it's still a pretty brutal cut you'll be dealing with. Thats the way I went, and I can tell you, the pain was much worse than the doctor led me to believe it would be. It took me about 4 months just to get back to where I was before the surgery, and my healing was uneventful. No infection or anything like that. After all that, the one foot I had done, never did heal. I personally believe the EPF method is flawed, for the most part.

Why not go to the surgery forum and look back on the history it contains. It's not a pretty story!!!

Good luck
BrianG

Julie on 12/26/02 at 17:04 (104052)

Who told you?

If it was a friend, or any non-medical person, they really don't know what they're talking about.

If it was a doctor, it was - in my opinion - presumptuous as well as stupid.

You need your feet to support you, to walk on. If surgery is done on both at once, you will be non-weightbearing for much longer than if they are done one at a time. Your arms will suffer from using crutches. You will take longer to heal (and may not heal as quickly or as well).

It really is not advisable. Please think.

And yes, it can get worse. You may not think so now - but it can. Read the boards, as Brian suggests.

Marty on 12/26/02 at 19:13 (104060)

Wouldn't the foot that didn't get done get much worse?

Marty on 12/26/02 at 19:18 (104062)

I do belive what your trying to tell me true. There can be problems in anything. I know 2 poeple myself that had surgery and come out with flying colors. Don't get me wrong. I'm just really tierd of this whole thing!

Thanks for advice.

Marty

john h on 12/28/02 at 13:15 (104171)

Marty: You are right. Read all you can and then make your best decision because you are the one who will live with it. Regardless of what you do best of luck.